Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Half more than half the players are far from top quality. Its a miracle that the team is not below 8-10 place.
So what is it? When we beat City, Chelski, Spurs and took points off of Liverpool Ole is a genius but when we lose against teams with worse squads than us that's down to the players? I'm confused.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How come top managers wouldn't do anything with these players, yet you see worse teams in the PL playing far better than us? I can't believe people are STILL pretending its all on the players.

Why do managers even exist, they're clearly not important according to some of you.
Our football obviously isn't good at the moment but who are these worse teams playing far better football than us? Do you watch them for 90 minutes every week?

Sheff Utd who average 44% possession and less than 10 shots a game?
Wolves? Far from an exciting team to watch even with a number of players who would walk into our starting line up right now.

Solid and tough to beat but their football is nothing special. Then there are teams like Arsenal, Everton, Spurs all in the same inconsistent boat as us.

Anustart89

Pogba, De Gea, Maguire, Bruno, Rashford are the only good enough if we want to be top team again. How long will it take? Probably many years if Ed can only get one quality player in each window.

Klopp and Pep sold all the players and got new instead in few years. We still have few players since SAF deadwood. It really says much about our club.
So let's assume that we have five players good enough to be in the squad. Doesn't that signal that we need to get a manager who can get the rest to play above their ability? By the time we get another six top players (at our current rate), how many of the five you mentioned do you think will be here? De Gea will be gone, Pogba will be gone, Rashford might be gone if one of the big clubs in Europe come knocking. So that's another three. And by the time we get those, Maguire will be 32 or something, Bruno might not be here, and we'll start all over again.

We really need a coach who can make the players here play to the max of their ability. Ole doesn't do that.

dove

Our football obviously isn't good at the moment but who are these worse teams playing far better football than us? Do you watch them for 90 minutes every week?

Sheff Utd who average 44% possession and less than 10 shots a game?
Wolves? Far from an exciting team to watch even with a number of players who would walk into our starting line up right now.

Solid and tough to beat but their football is nothing special. Then there are teams like Arsenal, Everton, Spurs all in the same inconsistent boat as us.
And here we are, neither solid nor tough to beat. If Ole is not sacked during this break, we are finishing 10th, you can quote me on that. Arsenal and Spurs shouldn't concern us, we should look at ourselves and with Ole in charge it's looking very much doom and gloom, doesn't matter how much he smiles or talks nonsense in press conferences.

Asger

So let's assume that we have five players good enough to be in the squad. Doesn't that signal that we need to get a manager who can get the rest to play above their ability? By the time we get another six top players (at our current rate), how many of the five you mentioned do you think will be here? De Gea will be gone, Pogba will be gone, Rashford might be gone if one of the big clubs in Europe come knocking. So that's another three. And by the time we get those, Maguire will be 32 or something, Bruno might not be here, and we'll start all over again.

We really need a coach who can make the players here play to the max of their ability. Ole doesn't do that.
So by that Klopp and Pep clearly failed also. Had to sell all except 2-3 players to be great!

Anustart89

So by that Klopp and Pep clearly failed also. Had to sell all except 2-3 players to be great!
They got the time to do so by implementing a style that made them perform better than their squad was tipped to do. Klopp bought time by getting into the top 4 with Moreno et al, and then he built the squad with players he wanted.

Ole does it the opposite way around. Build no team structure, make the team perform poorly. Buy better players (who will obviously gush at the chance at joining this team) = profit??

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Getting really sick and tired of him sitting hopelessly on the bench just waiting for something to happen.

mu4c_20le

How long did it take Klopp to produce excellent attacking football? First full season. Same with Rodgers. Ole is bang average and some just can't see it
Liverpool were already playing attacking football under Dalglish since 2011, then Rodgers, then Klopp refined them. The foundations were laid for over a decade.

Asger

Mourinho finished second with most of these players and you reckon it's a miracle we weren't lower than 10th?
Yes, You don’t remember Mourinho words after that achievement? Really tell me which players are good enough for top 8 team in Europe! And why those players are good enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Liverpool were already playing attacking football under Dalglish since 2011, then Rodgers, then Klopp refined them. The foundations were laid for over a decade.
Liverpool scored 63 goals in the league I Klopp's first season. 52 goals the season before he joined. Both less than us from the 18/19 season. What an attacking team they were!

He took them to 78 goals the following season. That's impact.

Eriku

I think this is were a lot of people confuse the issue with Poch. Before it went tits up for him would you have been interested in having Poch as our manager? I know I would. The reason I still want Poch to come in is because I don't believe he suddenly became a bad manager but more to do with circumstances which were created by Levy which ended up in the dressing room being lost. I honestly couldn't think of anyone better to come in and start fixing the mess the last 4 managers have created but that's just my own personal opinion.
That’s fair, but the reason I responded the way I did was because someone simply stated that being below Sheffield Utd is not good enough. No context or qualifiers, just a blanket statement about this not being good enough.

What happened to Poch is interesting, and personally I think it’ll take more than a good manager to turn us around. United were running like clockwork under Fergie, everything was perfectly tailored to his running the club. Recreating winning mentality and squad composition at this point is a huge ask, to the point that LvG and Mourinho struggled. Poch might be the guy, but he couldn’t turn around Tottenham as their squad crashed back to reality after losing a CL final. If he can’t turn that around, how will he resurrect us?

Not saying Ole is the man, not saying Poch isn’t, just saying that there’s a lot of factors to consider, but most of the posts on here oversimplify things a lot. More than a lot.

The Bloody-Nine

Yes, You don’t remember Mourinho words after that achievement? Really tell me which players are good enough for top 8 team in Europe! And why those players are good enough.
Yes, I recall exactly what he said. Now you're moving the goal posts and asking which players are good enough for a top 8 European team. You originally said you believe it's a miracle we haven't been finishing lower then 10th for years. If you seriously believe our squad is inferior to ten other PL squads and, rather than under performing, Ole is actually a managerial wizard, then I don't know what to tell you. It's an absurd notion.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Emery said that pressure from the fans was one of the reasons why he was sacked. I have huge huge respect to match going fans but i think that they are keeping Ole in charge right now. With all that songs about Ole i think that Ed is afraid sacking him.

Man, after all this comedy i bet that all other clubs will think twice before hiring club legend.

amolbhatia50k

Also, Liecester scored 51 goals last season. Rodgers has them on 54 goals already this season. Impact.

amolbhatia50k

Just adding Pep as well. 66 points and 71 goals before he took over. He raised it to 78 points and 80 goals in his first year, and 100 points and 106 goals in his second year. Again, made a proper impact.

mu4c_20le

Just adding Pep as well. 66 points and 71 goals before he took over. He raised it to 78 points and 80 goals in his first year, and 100 points and 106 goals in his second year. Again, made a proper impact.
I get your point but it's difficult to compare our situation to others, even Liverpool, because even when they were shite they played exciting attacking football. I've yet to see a club be in our kind of mess and mismanagement and being turned around so quickly in a matter of a year or two. Ole's first six months (the period that people love to include their stats with) was simply fixing our wage bill and getting rid of deadwood.

James Ward

We could of having Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta today and wouldn't have breaking down Wolves and this is down to Ole.

There's is something seriously strange with this 4-2-3-1 formation he keeps playing which simply does not work against teams that sit back but yet he insists on using it.

It's simply not working. Players are like statues.

We do need a new RW and CF though.

He is so far out of his debt its scary. He has to go.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
That’s fair, but the reason I responded the way I did was because someone simply stated that being below Sheffield Utd is not good enough. No context or qualifiers, just a blanket statement about this not being good enough.

What happened to Poch is interesting, and personally I think it’ll take more than a good manager to turn us around. United were running like clockwork under Fergie, everything was perfectly tailored to his running the club. Recreating winning mentality and squad composition at this point is a huge ask, to the point that LvG and Mourinho struggled. Poch might be the guy, but he couldn’t turn around Tottenham as their squad crashed back to reality after losing a CL final. If he can’t turn that around, how will he resurrect us?

Not saying Ole is the man, not saying Poch isn’t, just saying that there’s a lot of factors to consider, but most of the posts on here oversimplify things a lot. More than a lot.
Yeah, Ole is certainly bringing out the worst side of people from both sides of the camp.
I actually think that using Sheffield United is a good example of how a manager influences his side on playing above their means. I don't think any of us expected for them to be ahead of us after 25 games with having an inferior squad but the importance of a good manager can never be overlooked.

Many people on here are saying no other manager could get United playing any better but I just can't buy into that and I do agree with you when you say there's other factors to consider but at the end of the day each manager has been backed with significant amounts of money and as bad as the Glazers/Ed may be that still shouldn't affect our performances that we're seeing on the pitch.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the biggest mistake the hierarchy of our club have made has been hiring managers that either weren't suited to us or simply not good enough. I don't have any qualms about getting rid of any of them just like I won't care too much when they pull the plug on Ole but what needs to happen before we keep giving managers time and more money is to ensure we get the closest fit to a manager who can actually take us forward and sustain it and more importantly than that is if we try Poch for example and for whatever reason he doesn't work out then get someone else with the same philosophy instead of getting rid of half the squad because a new manager wants to play a different way.

City and pool are both set up a certain way so if either Klopp or Guardiola leave there's no point in bringing in Moyes because he plays a completely different style. That's what we've been doing. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes and it's the reason we are where we are today and not because we failed to give managers more time.

Eriku

Yeah, Ole is certainly bringing out the worst side of people from both sides of the camp.
I actually think that using Sheffield United is a good example of how a manager influences his side on playing above their means. I don't think any of us expected for them to be ahead of us after 25 games with having an inferior squad but the importance of a good manager can never be overlooked.

Many people on here are saying no other manager could get United playing any better but I just can't buy into that and I do agree with you when you say there's other factors to consider but at the end of the day each manager has been backed with significant amounts of money and as bad as the Glazers/Ed may be that still shouldn't affect our performances that we're seeing on the pitch.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the biggest mistake the hierarchy of our club have made has been hiring managers that either weren't suited to us or simply not good enough. I don't have any qualms about getting rid of any of them just like I won't care too much when they pull the plug on Ole but what needs to happen before we keep giving managers time and more money is to ensure we get the closest fit to a manager who can actually take us forward and sustain it and more importantly than that is if we try Poch for example and for whatever reason he doesn't work out then get someone else with the same philosophy instead of getting rid of half the squad because a new manager wants to play a different way.

City and pool are both set up a certain way so if either Klopp or Guardiola leave there's no point in bringing in Moyes because he plays a completely different style. That's what we've been doing. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes and it's the reason we are where we are today and not because we failed to give managers more time.
There’s also wayyyyy less pressure at a club like Sheffield United, which is why I don’t like facile comparisons. Whether we’re on our knees or not, the media scrutiny is still at a totally different level than the likes of Sheffield United, or even Leicester, who’ve won the league more recently than us.

It’ll be interesting to see how long our malaise last. If it keeps up it’ll start affecting our commercial value, which might trigger some real change. Ideally in who owns and/or runs the club. I’m just glad I’m used to failure through following the Norwegian NT, otherwise I’d be way more thin-skinned about this.

James Ward

I'm not sure how many teams in the championship would take him right now.

What maybe half, less. And maybe 0 in PL that's an absolute disgrace for a mufc manager.
I think once champions league is out of the question he will be sacked and Poch brought in.

Even with the current team we have we should be comfortably in the top four where Leicester are.

Doesn't hide the fact we need a starting RW and CF with Martial as backup.

Imagine if we got Haaland and paid him Sanchez wages but we gave it to that waste of space so was out of the question.

Alabaster Codify7

Imagine how far down the league we’d be if other teams didn’t keep fecking up too.

We won't need to imagine, man. Without Rashford, as predicted, we cannot buy a goal. We are going to consistently slide further down the table over the next 2months. I said we'd be 10th by March, I'm actually thinking we're gonna be lower that come March, now. 12th or something.

Our esteemed manager, with a FULLY FIT SQUAD, showed us all last season that he is completely unable to stop a nosedive in form. Imagine how bad it's going to get now, with our injury situation?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If he is here next season we are a joke

dove

Well, at least we are not 5th anymore so we don't have to listen to "But we are 5th so it proves we are doing very well" nonsense :lol:

Roboc7

Lose to Chelsea and we’ll be as close to 16th (or worse) as we are to 4th, I’d imagine that will ramp up the negotiations with Poch. It’s incredible that 4th is still a possibility given our points tally, the Chelsea game is a defining moment for Ole, he’ll probably be happy with a draw.

Tony247

So, after 25 matches we are 7th in table on GD, tied on 8th, 4 points ahead of 15th.

Next 5 are Chelsea(A), Watford(H). Everton(A), City(H) and Spurs(A). Unlikely to get more than 5 points?

Nickelodeon

In my opinion, Ole's biggest failure is not our league position or the points. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely horrendous and clearly the worst of the 4 managers we've had post Fergie.

But Ole has dismantled the core of the squad and has made us impossible for anyone to improve. When Jose left, we had a good (not great) squad which had the potential to play like we did when Ole started. But in the name of clearing deadwood, we sold some talented players and did not replace them with anyone. Coupled with our shocking style of play and the above mentioned league position and surely another year out of the UCL, we have become a club to avoid for most players now. The blinkered support he enjoys from some/most of the support is just the cherry on top. We are a club which runs like a propaganda driven state with everyone from the Glazers, Ed, Ole, the ex-players, all playing their part.

Tony247

Lose to Chelsea and we’ll be as close to 16th (or worse) as we are to 4th, I’d imagine that will ramp up the negotiations with Poch. It’s incredible that 4th is still a possibility given our points tally, the Chelsea game is a defining moment for Ole, he’ll probably be happy with a draw.
Win against chelsea is must. Draw or lose advantage spurs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Right where I predicted we would finish.
This club needs a wake up call and the fans better be wise to it.

el3mel

So, after 25 matches we are 7th in table on GD, tied on 8th, 4 points ahead of 15th.

Next 5 are Chelsea(A), Watford(H). Everton(A), City(H) and Spurs(A). Unlikely to get more than 5 points?
We have been doing well against Chelsea recently but if we lose to them next game then it's game over really. However it's time for Ole to buy himself some more time so can predict 2 wins out of our next 2 games, before picking 2 points or less out of the next 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.