Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Howson is one of the most disingenuous people you'll ever hear on this type of topic. Don't listen to him much, but when i have he don't half talk some utter nonsense. Cherry picks his stats to suit whatever type of agenda he wants to drive, then when he gets called out on it he doubles down even though he's completely wrong. You can't debate someone like that, or take them seriously. They will never admit they're wrong.

I also love how he thinks that he's destroyed the "myth" of Pochettino :lol:

The myth of Pochettino ffs. He's an utter helmet. His acolytes lap it up though.
It was such a load of nonsense.

The bit where he claims Poch is not an obvious upgrade on Ole and then goes on to discuss his superior win rate at Spurs, conveniently neglecting to mention Ole's win rate was just ridiculous.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Pretty accurate reflection of a typical fan IMO
True but Howson seems to be having definite opinion on Pochettino being worse for us than Ole after being chased down by Sheffield United in the league table. I thought he would have better arguments in defending Ole in that regard.

We're not in the beginning of the season anymore and it's not looking promising with each passing game to the end of 19/20 campaign.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That's one of the qualms I have with moyes. If he had realized the squad is over the hill and actually did something about it like we did past summer then at least some people would have been behind him acknowledging the fact. He did nothing and just stood there thinking everything was fine and rosy.
I agree. The moment he got told he was the next united manager, he should have conjured up a realistic transfer strategy to replinish the squad.

Alabaster Codify7

No chance we're getting Pep and while I appreciate how successful he's been I really dislike him.

Besides he'll be looking to spend a billion on a new team.

Yeah, Pep had no interest joining us when we were actually good. He'd never come here now, and even if he was remotely tempted, he'd demand around £400m to be spent in the summer which obviously would never happen.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The thing is as well, what the dummy doesn't seem to realise is that Pochettino got Spurs to a position where they were able to compete for titles (or at least finish consistently in the top four). Yeah, he's not perfect and he probably should have one the Premier League the year Leicester won it, but he built them up to that position. I've heard that Howson talk about how good the squad was and how great they were for a few seasons but they didn't win anything. Yeah, he made them that great you tit.

Basically, he got Spurs to a position where you are now judging them by a different standard. Because i don't think many people were judging Spurs the way they judge them now before Pochettino came in. Obviously they were a decent size club before he arrived, i'm not trying to say he took them from complete obscurity. But he absolutely elevated that team and squad and improved a lot of those players.
Should ask any Spurs fan. Funny thing is, Spurs under AVB & Sherwood were an absolute mess. They had their worst finish in recent years finishing 6th, with record investment into the team too, after Bale's sale.

That's what he inherited. Broken dressing room, content players on high wages (Adebayor), big money flops (Paulinho, Soldado, Lamela). No huge budget for incomings. He got rid of those problem players and bought in young talented players, then coached them to achieve their potential.

People must have selective amnesia the way they rewrite history.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

We'll lose to Chelsea and they'll just start questioning the manager.

Goldbridge said he'll give Ole another chance if he'll sign Fernandes and after Wolves game he was back with moaning that Ole wastes players.

These fan channels are lulzy sometimes.
It was a stupid idea though that was always going to end up being back tracked. The smart ones already know it doesn’t matter what players he has. It’s not going to work for Ole.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If Liverpool won the Champions League again and Ole manages to get this squad to a 6th place finish and then through the qualifying rounds into the Champions League next year then he deserves to show what he can do next season.
Along with Pool winning the CL we can also pray that Wolves win the EL and finish ahead of us, that way 7th will also get CL.
Neither of these would happen. The only way the PL ends up with a 5th CL slot is if the CL or EL is won by a club outside the normal qualifying positions. And then it would only benefit that club - there is no cascading effect down the table.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
People talk about Lloris, Vertonghen, Rose & Walker being there before Poch, but they were all part of the side that had shipped 51 goals in the league the previous season. The 11th best defensive record. They had a mediocre defence at the time.

Poch never inherited them at that level, that's for sure.

Because of what they become under Poch' coaching, that is another glossed over fact.

Rolaholic

Ogden was spot on in that interview. Also said that you wouldn't see actual big clubs like Barca,Madrid and Bayern talking about a 'rebuild' for almost 7 years. It just wouldn't happen because they're actually run like big clubs instead of just paying lip service to the notion in theory while accepting mediocrity and incompetence in practice

JG3001

When he’s sacked at end of the season everyone will move on very quickly, even likes of Gary Neville won’t make much fuss.
Agree, they’re sticking up for a mate who they know is out of his depth. I imagine it’ll get brushed under the rug rather quickly, as opposed to the big song and dance about it if he got sacked now.

Roboc7

Agree, they’re sticking up for a mate who they know is out of his depth. I imagine it’ll get brushed under the rug rather quickly, as opposed to the big song and dance about it if he got sacked now.
Exactly he’s effectively sacking himself, no one is going to query why worst performing manager in 30 years has been sacked.

el3mel

We got incredibly lucky today and anyone saying otherwise will be wumming but I'll absolutely take it. Great win, and very important for our league position.

stayrusty

I'm happy with the win, but I just don't feel like we were in control at all in the game. Felt like we were very lucky, but the two great moments for me just shows we have the players to compete. If we just had a better coach I think we'd be so so much better, I think these players are capable of so much more.

dove

We have a decent squad, when we finally hire a good manager we will be a joy to watch.

saivet

We got a bit fortunate but on the balance of play, we were the better team I felt. No real issues today, though the level of our performance wasn't all that good.

UDontMessWith24

Nothing new, need to beat the lower teams.
Nail on the head. This requires the players draw motivation from the manager, which requires a manager that has more of a presence than a field mouse. When the players arbitrarily draw motivation from another source (Typically the fixture itself) than you can actually see the squad is as good as the teams around us in the table, if not better. If the Ole fanboys want to feel vindicated who are we to argue though.

DevilRed

Set up the team well today.

Just seems to have it figured out against lampard and chelski.

I can't remember the last time we won 3 matches on the trot against them. Never even happened in the Fergie era I believe.

MDFC Manager

Ridiculous coaching. Utter chaos all over the pitch. Chaotic would infact accurately describe our play style actually.

DevilRed

I just really want to see Mctominay, Rashford and Pogba back.
As do most of us!

If we can put in performances like this without our 3 best players, I believe we can be a pretty decent top 4 team with those three back in the team.

The question is whether you drop Fred. A good problem to have at last.

el3mel

Set up the team well today.

Just seems to have it figured out against lampard and chelski.

I can't remember the last time we won 3 matches on the trot against them. Never even happened in the Fergie era I believe.
They missed loads of chances by Bats and scored 2 goals which were disallowed, that was a far worse match than the last 2 against them. They lost Kante early and we could have got Maguire sent off. I won't say he "set the team well". We just got lucky as hell and I would take it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
As do most of us!

If we can put in performances like this without our 3 best players, I believe we can be a pretty decent top 4 team with those three back in the team.

The question is whether you drop Fred. A good problem to have at last.
I’d drop Bruno, Matic and James and bring in the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.