Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | 2018/2019 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

A brilliant start. Played good attacking football as a team. He has not had a big impact apart from raising the spirit and also allowing the players more freedom to attack.
What it shows though is that we can do very well without Mourinhos negative football though and that we got a lot of quality players in our squad.

Bobski

I love that a hero from the Fergie era can come in and lift the club in that fashion. Simply asking the players to express themselves, positive outlook and intent. Great move from Woodward:eek: Maybe the likes of Giggs and Scholes have been either too stained by indiscretions or tied to constant(but truthful) criticisms of failing regimes to be that bridge for the fanbase but a little bit of old school Utd feels so very good.

Red Devil's Advocate

Too early to tell but if today's football was an indication of what his football philosophy looks like he should be a candidate, no doubt.
Exactly. Let everyone have a fair chance at it. The world doesn't end with Poch's rejection.

Unfortunately, my friend's cranky 40 year old proven wife always fascinates me more than my 19 year old Victoria's Secret model girlfriend.

dbs235

Im just amazed at how much a change of manager changes things
Mentality/confidence has a huge impact in football as it does in all aspects of life. The lift he'll have given the players this week will have completely changed their mindset on the pitch and it showed. It's one of the main things cited as to why England improved so much under Southgate, the players were no longer scared etc. Looks like the same has happened here.

the chameleon

I'm not someone who's saying that he should shoehorned for the permanent position. But Woody would be foolish to make a manager decision before April. Of course at this point in time - Poch and Jardim are my top 2 contenders.

But I would put him up there with Zidane.

Hear me out now, I know Zidane has won 3 Champions League titles. I'm not sure if it was purely Zidane or the great players.

Zidane does have ONE great attribute as a manager. He is a great man manager and players respect him. Being an all time great legend also helps.

Yes, he has accomplished more than Ole (way more) as a manager, more than most managers ever with those 3 Champions League titles.

His accomplisments are ATG level with 3 Champions Leagues.

But if were to break it down on pure managerial attributes, I would say Ole is just as good of manager.

He plays an attacking style which allows players to express themselves.

Being a Manchester United legend, he commands the respect of most players (though that might now work for him elsewhere but at United it would certainly work).

He's showed a willingness to adapt.

He's tried things. He's failed and learned.

The real test will come tactics against big teams. Can he keep up this tempo?

We'll learn a lot about Ole and I would hope that we absolutely cane the second half of the season. He has 18 games - 54 points left. If he can 47 points, with a lot of goals, promoting youth, playing attacking football, beating the top 6 teams. Then we would have to put him in contention for the role.

Also, unlike Zidane (who rejected us as a player - TWICE) he LOVES our club.

It would be what fairytales are made of.

With all these factors - my front runners are Poch and Jardim with Ole on a trial which could make him a front runner by April.

What do you guys think?

the chameleon

Also, forgive my comparisons with top managers.

I just wanted to state every manager has a different trajectory.

We know he was a disaster at Cardiff and got them relegated. I hear it was because he was trying to play a game which only suits the stronger teams.

A little trivia about Klopp's trajectory. He relegated Mainz as a manager and resigned the year after he couldn't them promoted.

Let's not dismiss our Ole just yet. I'm just saying lets hope he just destroys the league, FA Cup and Champions League.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Great game to watch today. We were obviously flying, but one thing stood out to me as Ole as a manager compared to Mourinho and that was when he brought on Fellaini it was in place of Matic rather than to play with him. No need to have both of them on the field at the same time. Have one positionally disciplined midfielder on and keep everyone else flying. Great start...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The morale boost Ole has brought is worth its weight in gold. More than that though you can see the patterns of play appearing.

I had seen on some YouTube tactics videos that Ole likes his full backs forward and his wingers to come inside. Seeing it in practice was interesting and impressive. The wingers coming inside created confusion for the Cardiff full backs about where they should be relative to their wide midfield players. That opened good spsces for our full backs and meant when our midfielders moved forward we often had an extra man.

Lots of risk involved cos it only takes a hoof to get over that. Still, very clever though. Ole is a better tactician than I think many believe. You can see what they mean when they say he was always studying the movements of players.

fallengt

Well, to posters who doubted Ole because he relegated Cardiff. Guess we can't win that argument anymore, he's doing it again

RonW

I love Ole a lot. He is the epitome of a United player, and he comes across as very decent, and an honest man in his interviews. I'm obviously delighted that he's got the job for the next 6 months. I don't think he changed anything tactically besides letting the full backs go up the field and making sure Herrera and Matic were giving cover to them time to time, it is shades of what SAF would do when Ronaldo would go up and Carrick would cover his position. I think the result was more down to the players being happy, they felt free and could express themselves and they weren't scared to make mistakes and they looked confident. I hope we play like this for the rest of the season and see where it goes. I would definitely like for Ole to get the United job full term if he manages the top 4 position, although I will reserve my judgement when it comes to how he will set us up tactically in the future(against the big teams and in the CL)and managing the big egos in the team and also getting our transfer targets.

Trizy

After that today, I can't wait to see if Sanchez regains his form.

bondsname

Credit to the coaching staff, the players, the fans, everyone. We were united tonight.

Classical Mechanic

Ideally Ole would become the permanent manager but we should be beating the likes of Cardiff if we go out and attack them.

The proof in the pudding will be how well we cope with teams with real attacking quality when we are pushed so far up the pitch.

Andrew~

First game in and I think if you listen to his post match interview, he probably feels like there's a lot of work. The statement that "Manchester United should never be outworked by the opposition" was spot on.

We'll start seeing him implement his ideas more in the next couple of weeks, and I'm really excited to see what he does with these players.

MJJ

One thing that impressed me and is so typically Ole, he starts off the post-match interview and the BT interview by praising the players.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Players not scared to take risks with the ball, the whole team pushing up taking the game to Cardiff. They were truly just enjoying themselves out there. When was the last time we could say something like that?

Ole has been a breath of fresh air. Thanks to all the coaching staff. Utd feels like a family again.

Can't wait for next weekend!

:drool:

snk123

His man management looks absolutely amazing.

Solskjaer, when reminded United have scored five for the first time in a league game since Ferguson's last: 'Since Mick Phelan's last game.' #mufc
Gives immense credit to Phelan. Brings on Fellaini to show him he's still important. Praises the players and their individual attributes. Mentions Pogba being a world cup winner to feed his ego.
Just looks like a tremendous man manager - hopefully he can also discipline them when he needs to

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His post match conference was just brilliant. One of the advantage of having ex player who had huge success at the club is they know that the club is all about.

He said in team meeting they said if get 1, should go for 2, then for 3 as that's the nature of this team and club. You always have to go and attack,

Also said teams don't like players like Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba running at them, so why should we stop them doing that (think he meant after taking lead, instead of sit back, just attack).

Overall it was good, it was also more like fan talking about the club.

Web of Bissaka

"A Man United team should never ever be outworked.
Doesn't matter which team you play, you should run more than them.
And then your skill will give you the chance to win the game.
"

:keano:

"If you lose the ball, I don't mind as long as you work to win it back, and they did."

Web of Bissaka

His post match conference was just brilliant. One of the advantage of having ex player who had huge success at the club is they know that the club is all about.

He said in team meeting they said if get 1, should go for 2, then for 3 as that's the nature of this team and club. You always have to go and attack,

Also said teams don't like players like Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba running at them, so why should we stop them doing that (think he meant after taking lead, instead of sit back, just attack).

Overall it was good, it was also more like fan talking about the club.
Yeap, plenty of gem quotes there.

el3mel

Tbf I'm starting to open to the idea that he can get the job if he improves the team massively and does well in big games away from results. At the end of the day it will be great if one of our legends secure the position and I actually trust him far more than Giggs who always looked like a pushed idea for the manager job.

Let's see how this season will pan out to be. Hopefully he becomes our Zidane without needing one from outside.

Fracture90

Gis first game and dunno how much of that performance was on him and how much is on McCarrick, but it's a great start and something to build on with his staff.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Last edited:

Trizy

Interesting tactic breakdown vs Cardiff. Agree with it all.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's like a mini Fergie. Just hope He has a hairdryer inside of him too. :keano:

Negan

I’ve been critical about this appointment but after watching us this week, I’m convinced.

He’s saying all the right things too :drool:

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
He knows what Manchester United is all about. Apart from those few games when Giggs was in charge we haven't had a manager like that since Fergie retired. There will of course be ups and downs over the next 6 months but as long as we play the United way when results go against us then we must always be supportive of the boss and the team.

Marcus

The deflected goal by Herrera was totally due to Ole. Shoot at every opportunity. Even if it is blocked, it can wrong-foot the goalie. That's what freedom to try results in.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The deflected goal by Herrera was totally due to Ole. Shoot at every opportunity. Even if it is blocked, it can wrong-foot the goalie. That's what freedom to try results in.
To be fair, Mourinho also had Herrera shooting whenever possible in his first season. There was talk that it was because he wanted to go for the all-or-nothing option of goal or goalkick, rather than us losing the ball when Herrera was out of position and the opposition counter-attacking us. Can't remember if Herrera himself confirmed that being true or whether it was just some media reporting it, but it did make sense since Herrera kept shooting despite very little success.

Marcus

To be fair, Mourinho also had Herrera shooting whenever possible in his first season. There was talk that it was because he wanted to go for the all-or-nothing option of goal or goalkick, rather than us losing the ball when Herrera was out of position and the opposition counter-attacking us. Can't remember if Herrera himself confirmed that being true or whether it was just some media reporting it, but it did make sense since Herrera kept shooting despite very little success.
Ah ok. But that was in the first season.

The United

Ole was hailed as a student of the game by SAF if I remember it correctly.

He was watching the game from the bench learning what to do when he got on and he often did the right things. I think part of the reason why he was being super sub is because of that. No one was better than him to change the game in late stages.

I think the chance of him becoming a very decent manager is pretty high. Well, I hope so anyway.

haram

Herrera’s long range shooting has been garbage for a while now. I had to chuckle when it went in.

Status
Not open for further replies.