Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | 2018/2019 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ok. I’ll bite. Was Guardiola one of the 5 best managers in the world when Barcelona hired him? Because that’s the equivalent of what we’re doing here. Obviously.
Was waiting for that response. Fair enough. But Ole has been a manager for a fair number of years now. He's no unknown quantity.

deadrevelz

No point in arguing with most of the people having a go at Ole. The end of next season is the time to judge him.

If the club does its job, Ole will do his.

p.s. good words from Luke Shaw who was my motm today.

buckooo1978

at what point does Ole change up that midfield

lethargic, sloppy, slow we looked technically and physically inferior to Watford in there

McTominay and Fred were fantastic the last time they played together against PSG

Matic has been poor for the vast majority of the season and I hope we dont have another example of a manager who picks a player on reputation

Herrera has really impressed me but he needs to up his game based on what we've seen since he returned from injury

I'd play Herrera in the Matic position and Pogba aside Fred on Tuesday

we need investment in the midfield clearly

Red Royal

Anyone understand why Ole replaced Martial with Rojo?? I get Martial was inkured but surely McTominay or maybe Fred would have been better options. Not even sure where Rojo was playing just an extre body at the back which invites pressure.

Keanes Magic Hat

We hired someone who failed at cardiff. Liverpool and Man City have 2 of the 5 or so best managers in the world.
What nonsense judge him on 6 months with a terrible team. He performed brilliantly with Molde. Our win percentage since he came his ridiculous took us from having no chance for top 4 to having a great chance. We have been ravaged by injuries past two months with players just back now and needing games to come to form. Watford have also been playing very well this season.

Some people have memories and perspectives of a goldfish

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Whatever about anything else, we now have a manager who understands the standards and traditions and expectations of this club.

I don't know much about Ole's coaching or his methods, only from what I've seen here since he took over in December.
However, I have little doubt he will install the United mentality we've been missing for a number of years now... And sorry but that includes binning anyone not interested, Pogba especially

Varun

Staff
Was waiting for that response. Fair enough. But Ole has been a manager for a fair number of years now. He's no unknown quantity.
What it takes to succeed at a Cardiff and a United are too different to act as a yardstick for the other. Not just from Cardiff to United, the other way round as well.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
No point in arguing with most of the people having a go at Ole. The end of next season is the time to judge him.
Which is exactly why any permanent contract should only have only been offered at the end of the season.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
We hired someone who failed at cardiff. Liverpool and Man City have 2 of the 5 or so best managers in the world.
Yes, stupid really! And stupid Liverpool hired someone who failed at Mainz. Oh, but, but, he won few trophies with BVB, so thatt makes him one the 5 best managers in the world,oh for sure, for sure, and his gegenmetal football as well, yes, he didn't win the trophies since 2012 (or 2013, can't remember) but hey, "you do not judge managers with amount of trophies they have won" as English press said last year when we won Spurs in FA Cup semi. And they both spend loads of money on their players, and Kloppy hasn't won anything, but hey, he is one of the best, and Ole is shit, and he failed at Cardiff. Right.
Some people..ffs..

Acquire Me

I have my reservations over his ruthlessness and that is something we need if we want to reshape this squad. Too many bang average players that need moving on but I don't see it happening under Ole tbh. Contract renewals of Young, Jones, and Smalling certainly seem to indicate that.
Ole can be ruthless. Make no mistake about that.

Canagel

We scored the same number of goal as City today without nowhere near the same level of performance. Imagine the potential we have if we can return to our early football of the Ole reign? This team certainly has quality and I trust Ole to make the necessary tweaks required and restore us back to the top.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
With the money that he spent, he wasn't supposed to be in a position to have to perform miracles which is why he has been sacked.
I know that the personnel is on the manager when they've had that long and that much, but plenty have said how great the team is and how it only needs a tweak. Specially after one or two good performances.

deafepl

Hopefully, we are not playing like this regularly winning with ugly performance. So if we add new quality players for the next 2 years. The real question is, would you still be happy with him in charge if we keep winning unconvincedly with a performance like against Watford during his reign?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mainly talking about Mata here, but maybe it's due to not rating some of the squad players, but I don't understand why he plays players that don't fit his style.

Also, we have become far too reliant on counter attacks lately. I want us to take control of games and build up better.

Kapardin

Hopefully, we are not playing like this regularly winning with ugly performance. So if we add new quality players for the next 2 years. The real question is, would you still be happy with him in charge if we keep winning unconvincedly with a performance like against Watford during his reign?
Obviously not, that's the reason we sacked Mourinho for, among other things. As well as LvG to an extent.

But he really needs a transfer window and a full season before we judge him. Unlike the other 2 managers, Ole does not intentionally set up his team to be on the backfoot or to play cautiously. His vision is positive football and not win-at-any-costs. So we need to see if he can achieve it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Mainly talking about Mata here, but maybe it's due to not rating some of the squad players, but I don't understand why he plays players that don't fit his style.

Also, we have become far too reliant on counter attacks lately. I want us to take control of games and build up better.
I think Rashfords inexperience of hold up play and constantly looking for a ball over the top when we win possession doesn't always help.

It'll come though.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really hope these performances that keep creeping in don't become the norm. That would be seriously depressing.

Holters

I really hope these performances that keep creeping in don't become the norm. That would be seriously depressing.
Sooner or later we have to realize that our squad isn't up to par with the best teams out there (Barca, Real, City, PSG, Juventus, etc). Solskjaer is doing tremendously well so far.

Frank Grimes

at what point does Ole change up that midfield

lethargic, sloppy, slow we looked technically and physically inferior to Watford in there

McTominay and Fred were fantastic the last time they played together against PSG

Matic has been poor for the vast majority of the season and I hope we dont have another example of a manager who picks a player on reputation

Herrera has really impressed me but he needs to up his game based on what we've seen since he returned from injury

I'd play Herrera in the Matic position and Pogba aside Fred on Tuesday

we need investment in the midfield clearly
Spot on.

Stepney73

We are level on points with 3rd place(which looked impossible just 3 months ago)

We have won away at Spurs,arsenal,Chelsea and PSG in that time.

We are in the CL quarters.

We have done All the above despite having loads of injuries disrupting the team.

The club has a smile on its face again.

Everyone knows the squad issues and they need addressing in the summer and while we have had two or three below par performances the club is going in the right direction.

Some of the negative comments in this place about on a manager 3 months into the job highlights the modern day impatient want it now football fan.

I am old enough to remember fergies first 4 years in charge and I would have loved to see the comments in a "SAF performance thread"in those early years

Give OGS time FFS

AndyJ1985

I know that the personnel is on the manager when they've had that long and that much, but plenty have said how great the team is and how it only needs a tweak. Specially after one or two good performances.
Well those people are wrong. This team needs far more than a few tweaks

RedDevil5

Back him in the summer or else we won't finish top four next season. Although it may be hard to back him if we don't get top four this season, since it will be harder to attract players. Finishing outside the top four this season would be a total disaster.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Performance vs Watford wasn't good but there was glimpses of how we are trying to play. No more aimless crosses, we are trying to play quick one touch pass to open up defence. Obviously we are struggling and inconsistent, need proper time to work on these things.

Also ManUtd players lacking fitness is not a surprise. This was mentioned many times. We trained as we played under Jose, where we didn't need to cover more distance. Under Ole we have improved but he fitness part is lacking and need time to build fitness to play high intensity game. At least Ole has the right idea, ManUtd should always have one of the hardest working teams, so I'm sort of sure that there will be big difference in fitness levels next season.

Hopefully with few right additions and work on tactical and fitness part we will be back to our best.

For now I'll take 3 points and decent performance at this point of the season.

AndyJ1985

I don't expect miracles; we won't challenge for the title next season and we won't win the CL any time soon. But what I will be judging Ole on is how we progress in terms of the performances. One word that sums us up over the last 6 seasons is inconsistent. We're as likely to beat the other top 6 teams as we are to lose against relegation fodder. Under LVG we had a spell of decent football for a month and then fell apart again. With Mourinho we finished 2nd but no one had any confidence in us repeating it, much less improving on it. What I want to see is real progress, where our performances steadily improve and remain at a consistently high level, not where we play well for a few weeks and then go to shit again. I'm hoping for a trajectory similar to Klopp's at Liverpool. His first real task is to buy the right players for the system and get rid of the dross.

deadrevelz

Which is exactly why any permanent contract should only have only been offered at the end of the season.
But that's not enough time to judge either. See Di matteo. Job should be given on basis of behind the scenes stuff, whether he is coaching well, his vision, views of potential in and out transfers etc.

Web of Bissaka

Did his best for the recent game vs Watford.

All his decisions this time are right -- not Ole's fault few players not performing.
  • Mata exploiting the #10 properly, good, finally we have someone to offer that creativity if Pogba is blocked. Good option to have in CL, for a short time though since for some reason he disappear quickly. Nice option to have. Hopefully Lingard learn from this.
  • Jones and Smalling, best choice considering the CB options (Lind and Bailly out).
  • Good lineup in theory, Lukaku back to impact sub role.
  • Rashford and Pogba not messing up the LW spaces too much (they're more positionally discipline this time) so Martial and Shaw can combo better with more spaces to work out and they sure did.
  • Rashford properly exploit the RW spaces, while still moving centrally, more positionally discipline this time (Ole did called him over to the byline likely for that reason).
  • Spot on triple subs, right ideas (perhaps Fred instead of Pereira, to help build up attack from the back and more energy in midfield, but the trust in our youth there is fair).
  • Pogba being scolded? some time 2nd half after Herrera is out, Pogba need to be more discipline and help defend (so inconsistent). I'm not sure if Ole scold him or gave him a talking in game, but Pogba sure feeling the pressure. It's a fair decision putting him as holding CM/CDM -- Pogba is misfiring in attack, Herrera is also poor in general 2nd half, better keep Pogba because youth and maybe so he'll starting to accept more responsibility? start improving already.

Treble

Ole's been here 3 months and with great success in terms of results. Is it clear how he wants us to play? This season is all about getting in the top 4 and we are being pragmatic. What to expect next season in terms of "philosophy" and style? Pragmatic and counter-attacking or more oriented towards possession and high pressing?

The Nani

Ole's been here 3 months and with great success in terms of results. Is it clear how he wants us to play? This season is all about getting in the top 4 and we are being pragmatic. What to expect next season in terms of "philosophy" and style? Pragmatic and counter-attacking or more oriented towards possession and high pressing?
I hope we look to press as we did right after he took over. This season I’m more interested in seeing him motivate and select players effectively. He’s obviously flexible tactically. My concern is more whether he can be ruthless enough with certain players.

Treble

I hope we look to press as we did right after he took over. This season I’m more interested in seeing him motivate and select players effectively. He’s obviously flexible tactically. My concern is more whether he can be ruthless enough with certain players.
Man management is very important but tactical nous is key too. Tactical flexibility is good but there must be some core of principles which you can tweak here and there. Total flexibility would mean no discernible playing style. Personally, I don't think that high pressing can be used successfully without having a lot of possession. Both City and Liverpool have a lot ofpossession and are the best at high pressing in the league.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, not having style of play is a concern but best part is Ole is aware of this and mentioned in one of his interview.

I'm guessing we are just trying to get by this season and really work on style and other areas of game in preseason. He always said we should be among the hardest working team in Europe,

Also according to him no matter what style we play, intent to attack is importantt.

Ole: “It’s about where you win the ball. You want to defend to win the ball to go forward. You have to win the ball to attack and for me there’s two ways. Can you attack quickly like we did today, why not? As long as your intention is to attack.”

roonster09

Scout
Man management is very important but tactical nous is key too. Tactical flexibility is good but there must be some core of principles which you can tweak here and there. Total flexibility would mean no discernible playing style. Personally, I don't think that high pressing can be used successfully without having a lot of possession. Both City and Liverpool have a lot ofpossession and are the best at high pressing in the league.
That's not really true. Dortmund averaged 51% and 53% when they won the league and they were pressing machine.
Also when they reached CL finals, they averaged 46% possession.

sport2793

Haven't people mentioned before that Ole's style at Molde was more similar to Pep than Jose? I just don't think that they have the personnel or have had the time on the training pitch to implement a proper way of playing. If the reported transfers happen in the summer then I would be excited to see how the style changes next season.

The Nani

We don’t have the players to do that right now. Simple as.

Trying to press high with the way we give the ball away is suicide.

I know Ole gets the club and wants to attack and press high though. He’s said as much.

It’s all about assessing what he has at the moment and trying to get by. Which is why my main concern with him is team selection and motivation. Selecting Matic despite his performances for instance is very worrying.

Treble

That's not really true. Dortmund averaged 51% and 53% when they won the league and they were pressing machine.
Also when they reached CL finals, they averaged 46% possession.
That was in the Bundlesliga 7-8 years ago. Things have changed and teams are better at resisting pressing which means that you have to run a lot if you want to press without having a lot of possession.

roonster09

Scout
That was in the Bundlesliga 7-8 years ago. Things have changed and teams are better at resisting pressing which means that you have to run a lot if you want to press without having a lot of possession.
Doubt that. It's all about knowing when to press and as a team. Uncoordinated press is just a waste of energy and won't achieve anything.

Treble

Doubt that. It's all about knowing when to press and as a team. Uncoordinated press is just a waste of energy and won't achieve anything.
Well, you are citing Klopp's Dortmund as evidence. A better example would be Klopp's Liverpool and they have a lot of possession in most games. They even matched City in both league games this season: possession was 50:50.

roonster09

Scout
Well, you are citing Klopp's Dortmund as evidence. A better example would be Klopp's Liverpool and they have a lot of possession in most games. They even matched City in both league games this season: possession was 50:50.
Klopp's Liverpool reached CL finals with just 50% possession.

Treble

Klopp's Liverpool reached CL finals with just 50% possession.
CL is a very different competition to the PL and Liverpool played only one strong team on the way to the final benefitting form referee mistakes in the tie.

Again, I don't think you'll find a team competing for the title in a big league while using high pressing without having a lot of possession. Having possession conserves energy and allows for more sprints. Might be wrong though. Let's see our approach next season. Obviously, I can't exclude the possibility that some combination of high pressing without possession based football might be successful.

roonster09

Scout
CL is a very different competition to the PL and Liverpool played only one strong team on the way to the final benefitting form referee mistakes in the tie.

Again, I don't think you'll find a team competing for the title in a big league while using high pressing without having a lot of possession. Having possession conserves energy and allows for more sprints. Might be wrong though. Let's see our approach next season. Obviously, I can't exclude the possibility that some combination of high pressing without possession based football might be successful.
Strong teams by default have more possession, so there isn't any way to prove one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.