Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: I'd rather have a hole in Man Utd squad than 'an a***hole'

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If it was any other manager, they would be lambasted by the same people who are saying there is nothing wrong here. It is the double standard that is the issue.
He is clearly talking about players here, even though he put that little bit at the end. Is he is not criticising the players? The exact thing that people hated about prior managers. Stange.
If you complain about one, you should complain about the other.
Some complained when previous managers singled out and named specific players for criticism; eg Mourinho with Shaw. This is entirely different, so stop with the false equivalence.

Bondi77

You don't get it don't you. When player's fitness improved, physically is not the only one affected but it's mentally as well. When mentally they are improved, players become better & perform better (Fred, Rashford, Scott, Shaw and etc), as a result it becomes good vibes in the squad. Players already showed improvement before Bruno came.

This is not comparison of SAF to Ole. This is an example of a manager cannot allowed players to be bigger than manager, thus why he sold Beckham, Keane & Ruud once they turned into a***holes. To answer your question of how many years, ZERO, he got rid all of them.
When was Becks an ahole at Utd?

SweetRightFoot

He should probably stick more to his coaching and try to achieve something significant, something like finishing in the top 4 at least before mouthing off shit like this. As it stands he could be sacked by September and this will come to bite him on the ass.
What a terrible, terrible post.

Sacked by September! Definite wind-up. WUM?

ti vu

You don't get it don't you. When player's fitness improved, physically is not the only one affected but it's mentally as well. When mentally they are improved, players become better & perform better (Fred, Rashford, Scott, Shaw and etc), as a result it becomes good vibes in the squad. Players already showed improvement before Bruno came.

This is not comparison of SAF to Ole. This is an example of a manager cannot allowed players to be bigger than manager, thus why he sold Beckham, Keane & Ruud once they turned into a***holes. To answer your question of how many years, ZERO, he got rid all of them.
I am not going to get into every each of our players since there are thread for that. Just point out prime example of you see what you want. Not based on actual performance.

Shaw had a long period to be useless between after he got his new contract at the end of last season until he got some competition in Brandon. Shaw is in no way better than what he was when he could be arsed. Jury is still out for him.

Ruud Keane Beckham all turned into arseholles and got rid! How about Rooney 2010? Just another case of see what you want to see. Agree to disagree.

Abizzz

a***holes tend to win stuff. It needs to be balanced but I don't think perfect harmony is required for maximum performance. And regarding Lukaku/Sanchez everyone knew what we were getting. If he's mad at them for being them instead of looking at the decisions I don't see how he'll work with other players that don't fit his expectations (a requisites for being succesful in any managing capacity, in my opinion).

Web of Bissaka

There's a thin line between ego players and "a**ehole".

^ A good manager is able to manage those egos so they won't turn into AH or at least squeeze the most out of them before they inevitably turn AH.

What about other disruptive players but not ego, and deadwoods who are stealing a living, doesn't sound right labeling them with the same name.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree. Without Bruno we wouldnt have made top 4 in all likelihood. I dont think it was ever a realistic target anyway.

We suffered more because of Pogba's injury. Unfortunate but we also knew that we were light in numbers and taking more of a gamble this season than we usually would be comfortable with. I'm pretty certain it was understood and accepted by the club and that is why I'm so confident that the plan was to keep Ole on for at least another season come what may
Bruno was a very realistic transfer since the summer. All we had to do was pay up. Unfortunately longstaff seemed to be rated more and he wasn't available.

I am also uncomfortable with us keeping an unhappy player especially one managed by Mino whose quite renowned of playing dirty to get what he wants. I sometimes wonder if there is more to these injuries for example. Anyway risking Pogba at Rochdale was a typical noob mistake

Having said that Ole's signings were great. I'd give him a strong 7 on them. Having said that managers shouldn't be responsible if that. It's the scouting and the DOF job to bring the right players at the club. Managers is responsible for things such as keeping the dressing room happy (ole did well there), tactics and results

Dante

Average bang
Ole is saying that the assholes who used to be at United have all been sold and no new assholes have since been bought.
Though Solskjaer admits certain players may have been affected by ‘personal agendas’ last year, he now feels there are no ‘bad apples’ in his first-team squad. ‘In March 2019, players were physically tired, mentally tired and we had injuries. The players started with negative thinking, whereas now it’s positive thinking,’ he added. ‘There were other things I didn’t like last year, some personal agendas which couldn’t be sorted out until the summer. ‘There will always be players who want to play more in football, but if a team is to be successful then players have to be available at different times. ‘I feel in this group we don’t have one bad apple.’
The quote is basically a love letter to his squad. The only way to misinterpret it is if you have a massive agenda that you're desperate to confirm.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Summarizing in context of the topic of the thread, Ole hasn't yet earned the stripes to be openly lauding his strategy of removing "a**eholes" from the squad. We haven't achieved anything yet. Such statements would be more suited to hindsight if and when we can claim 2019/20 to be a successful season.
Completely disagree with this, Ole may have his faults and there have certainly been issues during the season. But he is manager and can pretty much say what he wants, especially in terms of the transfer market where his record is 4 out of 4 successes so far with a team spirit and a harmonious squad, which is far more than can be said for your previous managers.

Ole made a a joke basically I don't see why there are 4 pages on this.

EDIT - 5 pages!

Last edited:

Nickelodeon

In a non-Covid world, not achieving UCL football would surely have been it for Ole. The Covid situation might end up saving him. Wouldn't call it a wind-up though.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The quote is basically a love letter to his squad. The only way to misinterpret it is if you have a massive agenda that you're desperate to confirm.
Or just reading the headline and seeing what you want to see

Judas

Open to offers
Literally nothing wrong with what he said, I've slagged Ole off and questioned his long term future here often, but some on here will look for anything to have a bitch and a moan about and its quite frankly pathetic.

Strelok

Having said that Ole's signings were great. I'd give him a strong 7 on them. Having said that managers shouldn't be responsible if that. It's the scouting and the DOF job to bring the right players at the club. Managers is responsible for things such as keeping the dressing room happy (ole did well there), tactics and results
You're saying that managers don't hold any responsibility in transfers at all ?

mu4c_20le

He should probably stick more to his coaching and try to achieve something significant, something like finishing in the top 4 at least before mouthing off shit like this. As it stands he could be sacked by September and this will come to bite him on the ass.
You should probably stick to watching, and leave the coaching to the professioanls

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Do not like comments like this. Is it not up to the manager to inspire and get players to function in the group? I am not sure the players that left would be impossible to work with.
They have shown better desire and attitude at Inter already.

Although maybe it had gone too bad here. I am not sure what Lukakus problem was, but it is ashame we couldn't get a world class striker like him work here.
Pogba out next I guess too. Although I think the Corona situation might actually help us keeping him.
Absolutely clueless :lol:. How can anyone watch Lukaku and think yeh this guy is world class is beyond belief. Frankly voicing that opinion invalidates any other ones you may have.

romufc

Herrera rejected a contract offer to leave on a free & Lakaku wanted gone after his 2nd game. Whilst the likes Smalling & Rojo we still own and the prior is likely our 2nd best CB.

As for injuries, apparently the money was there & he chose not to spend it, Martial historically has muscle injuries so selling a 20 goal a season striker without a replacement was malpractice - a player doesn’t need to cost £60m to improve this squad. Whilst playing Pogba for as long as he did versus the opponent we were facing after his initial lay-off likely led to his extended absence. Also weren’t there mumblings of an issue with Rashford prior to his injury.

You’re correct that big teams miss big players but to use that as an excuse over-simplifies some of his failings; we haven’t lost/drawn the games we have this season simply due to a lack of quality we’ve looked as under-coached as much as we have impressive.

I’m going away from this thread topic though but we definitely agree, ‘I am not saying he has worked miracles neither am I saying he deserves the sack.’.
Herrera wanted more money, so clearly he was not in it for the football knowing he will not start for PSG. So thats why Lukaku stayed 3 years? He still shipped out Darmian, Young etc.

Martial has a historic record for muscular injuries?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/verletzungen/spieler/182877

Please go check how many muscular injuries he has had.

Lukaku scored 12 PL goals last season and 16 the season prior. Martial has 11 goals in 21 appearances in the PL. So when you throw words like malpractice around, please get your stats right first. The reasons we have made mistakes in the transfer window in the past is to appease fans like you who will just want another body for the sake of it.

Lukaku was sold and replaced with Martial, Ole took this as a chance to give Greenwood a chance to develop, if we signed anothr striker he would not have got his opportunities.

I agree Poga was a mistake playing for so long. In respects to Rashford, and even Pogba to some extent, I dont know if you realise alot of players play through imjury.. Salah this season has played on an injury, Aguero a few seasons ago himself said he played through injuries.

Yes, we have lost / drawn games due to lack of quality, a team that lacks coaching does not beat Chelsea 3 times, City twice.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Reading this thread you realise just why newspapers like the Sun are so popular because so many people just read what they want and are massively swayed by their own bias and agendas. Anyone reading this as anything more than an statement of fact and creating a positive siege mentality within the squad is being purposely moronic just to try and get to Ole.

Actually in shock reading that article then seeing the response in this thread :houllier:.

romufc

In a non-Covid world, not achieving UCL football would surely have been it for Ole. The Covid situation might end up saving him. Wouldn't call it a wind-up though.
But wasn't the posters statement in the "Covid World"? This statement was made yesterday, so clearly he did take Covid into consideration?

As it stands he could be sacked by September and this will come to bite him on the ass.

Grande

I am not going to get into every each of our players since there are thread for that. Just point out prime example of you see what you want. Not based on actual performance.

Shaw had a long period to be useless between after he got his new contract at the end of last season until he got some competition in Brandon. Shaw is in no way better than what he was when he could be arsed. Jury is still out for him.

Ruud Keane Beckham all turned into arseholles and got rid! How about Rooney 2010? Just another case of see what you want to see. Agree to disagree.

I think you must have written some twenty posts in this thread about arseholes without understanding what it obviously means in the context.

Solskjær used it very clearly the context of someone who undermines the team or the team spirit for selfish reasons.

Eric Cantona and Roy Keane, both of whom Solskjær obviously know intimately and see as ideals for the kind of personalities he’s looking for, were many kind of arseholes, but they were the diametrical opposites of this kind - that is, the moment Ferguson thought Keano’s ego turned against the best interest of the team, he was gone. Beckham was an arsehole in about no ways imaginable, and if he had ‘an agenda’ it was being a good father and husband. For Fergie, it was enough of an agenda, I’d be highly surprised if Solskjær would have gotten rid of a player like Becks anno 2003, even if he took his place in the team. Van Nistelrooy was an ok egomaniac when his ego gelled with Ferguson and the team goals, Keown (an arsehole) was certainly not off the mark in calling him an arsehole, but the moment he turned arsehole against his own, younger teammate Ronaldo, he was gone too. And not many were too confused about why when it came out what had transpired behind the scenes.

Rooney might have been an arsehole against the fans and the club budget in 2010, but nothing have come out to suggest that he wasn’t a good team mate and a positive squad member always backing the team goals.

Being at the outside, we can only guess at who Solskjær is referencing, as he unlike Mou doesn’t spell it out. Is it Sanchez? Lukaku? Could it be Smalling? Herrera even? Fellaini? I don’t imagine so, but as Solskjær even has said positive things about Sanchez and Lukaku in public, how are we to know? But do I doubt that it’s true that some players’ egoes have been detrimental to the squad spirit and mentality? No, I think it has been fairly obvious, and the fact that squad spirit according to all accounts have been great even under spells of bad results and scrutiny from hostile journalists and panicky fans, supports that hypothesis.

And, mods, please say it’s not prohibited to spell out a word that even our manager uses to the public press?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not true at all, given that OGS has a veto vote on new acquisitions.

sugar_kane

You can tell things are slowly getting back to normal in the world when you dip into this thread and see all the Caf crazies whirring back into life.

Nickelodeon

But wasn't the posters statement in the "Covid World"? This statement was made yesterday, so clearly he did take Covid into consideration?
Because it was not an outrageous thought to consider that no top 4 might mean that Ole could be sacked. So calling a person a WUM for expressing that opinion was uncalled for.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Amazing. Read an article where Ole talks about arseholes, and then goes on to give his very specific definition of what he means by that.

Then come to a thread about that article, where people spend 5 pages arguing about who is and isn't an arsehole while using a completely different definition.

Kostov

Absolutely zero% chance of that. He is going nowhere.
No. Theres no way he was or is being sacked before the start of next season.
Far far more stranger things have happened. Let's say the season restarts and we are back to being mediocre and stumble to a 7th-9th place, which is very possible, you think it's out of the question. I don't.

Last edited:

Kostov

WTF nonsense are you on about? And also what claim?

Ole stated that his team right now has no bad apple which is something he dealt with the situation very well last summer. This is pretty much nothing negative that can backfire him but an actual compliment to his squad. You are moaning for no reason because you didn't read the article.

And Ole stated that people who are bad apple are players with the negative thinking which affect team environment. Lingard's self promoting is something off football and has no negative influence on team environment.
That puts a different context on what are we discussing here. You have no idea what are you talking about actually. Self promoting and stealing a living out of this club has been one of the reasons why we are where we are, and you talk about some team culture.

Kostov

Not sure what is so scandalous in that claim. The last time I checked we were sitting on 5th place.

You should probably stick to watching, and leave the coaching to the professioanls
This is the forum, we ain't coaching shit here pal, not sure what you mean.

Not as terrible as yours. Are you planning on getting promoted with this kind of insightful posts?

Mouthing off? Who exactly are you worried about him offending? Assholes? If he gets sacked, I seriously doubt that this quote will feature on his epitaph.
Not worried if he offends something, in honesty more worried he turns out looking like a fool. There is much chance that he gets sacked before he even manages to get rid of the likes of Alexis, Pogba, Lingard, some grade one assholes.
I’m sorry, but you’re being ridiculous, so you get ridiculous answers. I do love cherry though!

Also, you haven’t won anything so you should shut your whore mouth!!1
No pal, that's a very poor answer. He's the manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world, what he says will be much more scrutinized, compared to me and you on an online forum. Some of you got so fecking worked up over your precious Ole, without adding a little bit of different context.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
a***holes tend to win stuff. It needs to be balanced but I don't think perfect harmony is required for maximum performance. And regarding Lukaku/Sanchez everyone knew what we were getting. If he's mad at them for being them instead of looking at the decisions I don't see how he'll work with other players that don't fit his expectations (a requisites for being succesful in any managing capacity, in my opinion).
We're rebuilding. Eric was seen as disruptive before we bought him. Not by English people perhaps but when he came in young players looked up to him and he was modest and looked to fit in. You have to look at the group dynamic. Where we are. Where we want to be. A big ego can crush players or can help them. But when Ole talks about Assholes, what type of asshole he's talking about is based on opinion. We don't know what's been going on. So I back Ole as I would any. My personal preference was an ex player but look. People are reactionary and we live in crazy times. We know it's a transition but we're building something and I trust Ole knows his dressing room. But people need to be realistic. If we buy Jadon say and he flops, people will have the cheek probably to blame Ole or say some other guy will get the best out of him. I think we're making progress but I think we've been mismanaged for a very very long time....and a lot of these players are young and/or don't know what it is to be successful.

Last edited:

romufc

Not sure what is so scandalous in that claim. The last time I checked we were sitting on 5th place.
your post is not scandalous, the poster was trying to say you were insinuating Ole would get sack under normal circumstances, with Covid he might get a break.

Handré1990

This is the forum, we ain't coaching shit here pal, not sure what you mean.

Not as terrible as yours. Are you planning on getting promoted with this kind of insightful posts?

Not worried if he offends something, in honesty more worried he turns out looking like a fool. There is much chance that he gets sacked before he even manages to get rid of the likes of Alexis, Pogba, Lingard, some grade one assholes.

No pal, that's a very poor answer. He's the manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world, what he says will be much more scrutinized, compared to me and you on an online forum. Some of you got so fecking worked up over your precious Ole, without adding a little bit of different context.
I was obviously making a very exaggerated point. Yours is still shit though. A manager shouldn’t talk about his preference of team chemistry and player profile because he hasn’t won anything? Give me a break. I’m not even a huge fan of the man as a manager so far, but what you say makes it difficult not to defend him.

As for poor answers, here is yours when I agreed with another poster with some humour:
Yeah that's a great taking from such a lovely lads, you want some cherry while you kiss?
You don’t like him or rate him and want him gone, fair enough. You don’t have to make up a fantasy where what he said here is a problem whatsoever, just to back up your beliefs. It makes you seem petty and hostile.

Kostov

I was obviously making a very exaggerated point. Yours is still shit though. A manager shouldn’t talk about his preference of team chemistry and player profile because he hasn’t won anything? Give me a break. I’m not even a huge fan of the man as a manager so far, but what you say makes it difficult not to defend him.
I didn't mean he should not talk at all, my point was he should be more careful in what he says. Therefor my example with players like Neymar which I pointed out in a reply to another poster. He is not in a position to come out with comments like that, his teams still contains characters that act like total assholes at times, and some of them he needs in order to survive here. The very same comment comes out like he actually forgets episodes of Pogba and his agent, or maybe he turns a blind eye to that.

You don’t like him or rate him and want him gone, fair enough. You don’t have to make up a fantasy where what he said here is a problem whatsoever, just to back up your beliefs. It makes you seem petty and hostile.
None of this is correct actually, I like him a lot, I like his transfer model the most, from all the managers post SAF. Players like James, this kid from Birmingham, someone like Sancho are exactly why I still maintain some faith in him coming good. I like his approach to big games also. But I don't forget the bad parts as well and I am worried of another false dawn to be very direct. I want him to succeed and stay here build a fecking dynasty like SAF did, but one step at a time.Many of United fans after that last good period before the pandemic are back on board and act like everything is great, but we are not there yet. His comments should be more diplomatic if anything.

your post is not scandalous, the poster was trying to say you were insinuating Ole would get sack under normal circumstances, with Covid he might get a break.
With Covid the season was paused otherwise if we continued we might have finished like we played the entire season and bottled it up, finishing out of top 4 and not winning shit. It wouldn't have been a far fetched possibility would it? Nor his sacking imo if that turned out. That was my point.

romufc

With Covid the season was paused otherwise if we continued we might have finished like we played the entire season and bottled it up, finishing out of top 4 and not winning shit. It wouldn't have been a far fetched possibility would it? Nor his sacking imo if that turned out. That was my point
Yes, that is one way of looking at it.

Another is, the way we started playing in the last few weeks and some games this season, we could have potentially gone on to finish top 4, win the FA cup and the EL. Now that isn't that far fetched either? I mean we were more or less in the quarter finals of the EL, FA cup draw v Norwich and Chelsea were on the slide?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ole's usually the most polite one, when he call someone like that he must be quite pissed by something or someone... still It's nothing in comparison to SAF's anger.

Kostov

Yes, that is one way of looking at it.

Another is, the way we started playing in the last few weeks and some games this season, we could have potentially gone on to finish top 4, win the FA cup and the EL. Now that isn't that far fetched either? I mean we were more or less in the quarter finals of the EL, FA cup draw v Norwich and Chelsea were on the slide?
Of course it isn't and I sure hope he goes on and achieves exactly that, it even might work into his favor with Rashford and Pogba back. As it stands and where it all finished we were very underwhelming. IMO it is smarter if he is more diplomatic, lots of assholes out there that might helps us after all.

romufc

Of course it isn't and I sure hope he goes on and achieves exactly that, it even might work into his favor with Rashford and Pogba back. As it stands and where it all finished we were very underwhelming. IMO it is smarter if he is more diplomatic, lots of assholes out there that might helps us after all.
I agree in that sense, because we could end up finishing 8th or even 10th, but it goes to show how much there is to play for still for us. It would be a shame to not complete the FA cup, I hope we can win the EL though.

It has to work in his favour with Rashford and Pogba back, with the likes of Magure, Martial, Fred all rested up as well.

Handré1990

I didn't mean he should not talk at all, my point was he should be more careful in what he says. Therefor my example with players like Neymar which I pointed out in a reply to another poster. He is not in a position to come out with comments like that, his teams still contains characters that act like total assholes at times, and some of them he needs in order to survive here. The very same comment comes out like he actually forgets episodes of Pogba and his agent, or maybe he turns a blind eye to that.

None of this is correct actually, I like him a lot, I like his transfer model the most, from all the managers post SAF. Players like James, this kid from Birmingham, someone like Sancho are exactly why I still maintain some faith in him coming good. I like his approach to big games also. But I don't forget the bad parts as well and I am worried of another false dawn to be very direct. I want him to succeed and stay here build a fecking dynasty like SAF did, but one step at a time.Many of United fans after that last good period before the pandemic are back on board and act like everything is great, but we are not there yet. His comments should be more diplomatic if anything.
Oh, my apologies then. I agree with most of that. Maybe with the exception of Pogba, like some have pointed out, I don’t see a reason why Pogba would fall into that category. He wanted out, but by all accounts he’s still a model professional.

Edit: and of course I still don’t think he said anything wrong.

I think Lukaku’s behavior during pre-season was more to the point (e.g refusing to train, comparing internal training results in public to make himself look good and the like). Which I think is fair game.

Last edited: