Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: I'd rather have a hole in Man Utd squad than 'an a***hole'

tenpoless

Ole has always come across well in interviews. He rarely got jebaited. But this time He did it himself.
The Pogba situation will be very awkward now because as far as I'm concerned, Pogba was the worst out of players We had (including Lukaku, Sanchez, Mike Smalling) based on my arseholelevel meter. I'm sure most can agree with this. The way Pogba and his agent treated the club (Raiola even talked shite about Scholes at some point) suggests that They're the biggest arseholes We have.

So if this isn't some PR stunt and this is embodied within Ole's football philosophy, it's fair to say that if Pogba treats the club with the level of disrespect as He's done, again, He'll be shown out of the door. And if there's no taker, We're just going to sell him at a discounted price. After that We'll get his replacement from Molde with the help of Jim Solbakken.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why are people being negative about this
Because they have agenda. They only look at the one word a***hole in the title without reading the full context what the manager said, and some of those posters are using it for their agenda. A manager who did the right thing & complimented the squad being criticised for no reason by these people.

James Peril

Because they have agenda. They only look at the one word a***hole in the title without reading the full context what the manager said, and some of those posters are using it for their agenda. A manager who did the right thing & complimented the squad being criticised for no reason by these people.
You can’t just use the agenda-card here though, there are many arguments to be had. First and foremost; the fact that we are and most likely will finish the season outside top 4 once again - poor season. Go player by player, squad by squad and we should not be behind Leicester and Chelsea for the entire season. Point being, don’t sell your striker and then don’t replace him, don’t brag about said situation when results aren’t better and the striker is doing ok abroad. We aren’t scoring for fun, we have struggled at times in games where Lukaku did have an impact in general - all bits and pieces to be mentioned. Perhaps he was toxic, but show me one title-winning squad we’ve had that didn’t have a few egos and special cases.

And this comes from someone who did have «agenda» against Lukaku based on the fact that he wasn’t good enough to lead the team, and was very happy to get rid, but not without replacing him. As mentioned four hundred times the last year, this is Manchester United, not Everton. We don’t sell a striker for 65M and sign Daniel James as the only attcking player, that’s not going to take you places. If that’s not valid point, then ambiton has gone down the drain.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think both sides of this argument have played the agenda card so it’s not really a valid argument. What’s much more likely is people have different opinions and opinions are like arseholes...

The fact is what Ole said is probably unprofessional in how he said it. What you say and think in private has to be considered before going public. He would know that his comment would be the headline/sound bite and if not it’s a bit naive.

I completely agree with his sentiments you want players who are working with you not against you and it’s better to have a fully motivated player who is maybe a level below a poorly motivated or disruptive one. But I do think calling out players publicly like that doesn’t really help us in anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can’t just use the agenda-card here though, there are many arguments to be had. First and foremost; the fact that we are and most likely will finish the season outside top 4 once again - poor season. Go player by player, squad by squad and we should not be behind Leicester and Chelsea for the entire season. Point being, don’t sell your striker and then don’t replace him, don’t brag about said situation when results aren’t better and the striker is doing ok abroad. We aren’t scoring for fun, we have struggled at times in games where Lukaku did have an impact in general - all bits and pieces to be mentioned. Perhaps he was toxic, but show me one title-winning squad we’ve had that didn’t have a few egos and special cases.

And this comes from someone who did have «agenda» against Lukaku based on the fact that he wasn’t good enough to lead the team, and was very happy to get rid, but not without replacing him. As mentioned four hundred times the last year, this is Manchester United, not Everton. We don’t sell a striker for 65M and sign Daniel James as the only attcking player, that’s not going to take you places. If that’s not valid point, then ambiton has gone down the drain.
"Most likely"? What you said isn't fact at all. The actual fact is that before the pandemic: we were on high unbeaten, 3 points behind the 4th place, fixtures are in favour on us more than Chelsea.

Ole didn't even mention a name and yet someone (for example you) started making assumption that Lukaku is one of this toxic. Lukaku mentioned before that Ole wanted him to stay, so it's not like Ole considered him as toxic or at least even if he was, Ole still had intention to work with him and make it work.

Point about "don't sell" is invalid because first and foremost, the striker already had desire to leave and even before the season ended, Lukaku keep mentioned his desire to play in Serie A. Second, we were linked with Dybala (had negotiated with him) & Dembele last summer for potential to replace Lukaku, and the manager also wanted to sign Haland. This should give you a sign that he wanted to replace Lukaku. Negotiation with player & club don't always go the direction that manager wants especially in today's market.

The issue here isn't just the ego but actually anything related to negative thinking that can influence the environment of the squad which is quoted in the article from what Ole said and referred as a***holes. So this a***holes he's referring to isn't just on players who left the club but could also be current players. Ole mentioned that he had to sort it out until summer (last summer) and he's glad that the squad is no longer the case. And last thing, there is nothing negative about what Ole said and even bite him off end of the season because he actually complimented the current squad.

If this is not agenda then people actually are just ignoring the full context what he actually said in that article.

Last edited:

macheda14

None of this is really relevant. All reports say that Ole asked Lukaku to stay. Therefore, we can surmise that these statements are not about Lukaku. What they are about is not bringing in a replacement for a replacement’s sake. Let’s use the example of Icardi - we were linked to him (no one knows if that was legitimate or not) and from what we hear he is an arsehole. So don’t buy him. Ole’s quotes are not about any of the players that have moved on recently, he’s more professional than that. They are blatantly about any potential incomings.

Beanz

Its been 5 days and i'm still baffled as to how anyone would find fault in this. It was much easier to take oleout people seriously when it was based on pitch performance, but this, christ :lol: :lol:

RyRy11

Its been 5 days and i'm still baffled as to how anyone would find fault in this. It was much easier to take oleout people seriously when it was based on pitch performance, but this, christ :lol: :lol:
Ole could say Manchester United is the best club in the world and people would still moan

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is exactly what’s needed, at least for now - a manager who gives a shit enough to find players with the right mindset.
It’d be great if that same manager was also one of the best in the world but it doesn’t look like there’s many of them about.

People finding issue with this are sheep to their own preconceived thoughts.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I agree with your points and I too feel a DOF would be important for a team.

If a DOF was appointed then a manager like Jose wouldn't for Manutd. The DOF of manutd would have to keep the clubs tradition of good football and youth. The manager would have to be appointed by the DoF who has the similar philosophy as him.

There is a good example you gave because this season, Ole decided he didnt want a striker and gave Greenwood and Martial the chance without a DoF.

The other example in respects to injury is Pogba, Ole was under immense pressure and rushed Pogba back and caused him a long term injury.

There can be positives and negatives for both, but the DoF works well if him and the manager get along well and have a clear direction of how the club is to go forward.

Dybala has had a great year, so has Lukaku but if he doesnt suit the managers style, there is no point having him here.
I agree a DoF would be a great addition, lets look at say Spurs. No DoF, they bring in Bergwijn? Don't get me wrong he seems a solid player and all, but were they in desperate need of a new winger? No new RB for the walking foul Aurier? No backup striker? Think I seen Moura playing as striker for them that is how desperate they were for striking options.

Their midfield is all over the place, they seem to have 10 midfielders and cannot get a decent midfield happening. Dier, Sissoko, Ndombele, Winks, Skip, Fernandes, Lo Celso, is Wanyama still there? As an outsider looking in It seems a scatter gun approach.

The only player that it feels like they identified and actively pursued was Ndombele, the rest were just 'yeah sign him up, wtf not.' Which then leads to the numerous clean out the dead wood posts when they flop that we see here. And the difficulty of moving players on, lowering the wage bill and bringing in fresh faces to fill actual holes in the squad. Holes, that with a DoF should be identified by the manager and then addressed by targeted player acquisition carried out by said DoF.

As for the striking options we have, Ole might have already been in talks with the board and everyone was in agreement to put some faith in the players they have. Given that to purchase a top striker, Mbappe, Kane, etc in the market at that point in time was financially prohibitive. And even then would they want to come to United when other offers from the La Liga giants might be on the table? I doubt there would be too many clubs in European football not interested if either of those two angled for a move away from their current teams.

OrcaFat

I've stayed largely out of threads about Ole during lockdown. I see people who don't like our manager are still being unreasonable and trying to find something wrong in everything he says.

When Ole is successful, as I think he will be, I'm looking forward to naming and shaming all the folk who have slated him along the way.
Yeah, that’s pretty much how I feel.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Cant see what the problem is. He wants players who want to play for the club. Don't we all?

Dve

That's pretty weird imo. I can't imagine the likes of Klopp, Pep, Zidane or Conte etc. have no say in who's in or out. Even Poc got some of his choices bought with Levy I think.
I wonder how much Poch got to say, honestly. I remember he was complaining in the presser that he had the role of a coach, not a manager. Sounded like he himself, at least, felt he had little control on transfers. The others I don´t know, but I´m sure Poch would envy Ole´s freedom at United.

Last edited:

hobbers

Kinda premature to be saying this when there are probably plenty of players looking at the prospect of signing for United and thinking... I'd rather go when they have a top class coach instead of some have-a-go hero.

Gasolin

Ole has always come across well in interviews. He rarely got jebaited. But this time He did it himself.
The Pogba situation will be very awkward now because as far as I'm concerned, Pogba was the worst out of players We had (including Lukaku, Sanchez, Mike Smalling) based on my arseholelevel meter. I'm sure most can agree with this. The way Pogba and his agent treated the club (Raiola even talked shite about Scholes at some point) suggests that They're the biggest arseholes We have.

So if this isn't some PR stunt and this is embodied within Ole's football philosophy, it's fair to say that if Pogba treats the club with the level of disrespect as He's done, again, He'll be shown out of the door. And if there's no taker, We're just going to sell him at a discounted price. After that We'll get his replacement from Molde with the help of Jim Solbakken.
Which is a complete contradiction with what players say of Pogba. Hard working and respected is what the dressing room says. Raiola is just trying but so far, he has also backtracked publicly. It can only mean that Pogba has told him to tone down.

That, and the fact that neither Real or Juventus can afford Pogba now means that the new challenge he's been waiting for is maybe playing with Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Sancho, with a certain Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

tenpoless

Which is a complete contradiction with what players say of Pogba. Hard working and respected is what the dressing room says. Raiola is just trying but so far, he has also backtracked publicly. It can only mean that Pogba has told him to tone down.

That, and the fact that neither Real or Juventus can afford Pogba now means that the new challenge he's been waiting for is maybe playing with Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Sancho, with a certain Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
I hope so

Steven7290

Bruno didn’t seem to mind.
That is why he said this after Bruno is signed, otherwise he would have never come here knowing full well he is an arsehole himself. Based on that statement people can't make up their minds who is worse to lead a large organization, Ole or Trump.

Gasolin

That is why he said this after Bruno is signed, otherwise he would have never come here knowing full well he is an arsehole himself. Based on that statement people can't make up their minds who is worse to lead a large organization, Ole or Trump.
Ole and Trump in the same sentence? Wow, just wow.
One is someone who knows his field, no doubt, and is showing that something that needed to be addressed in the squad is getting addressed and that's translating into a better team on and off the field. Not sure what to say about the other one.

Ole might be snide, but he doesn't throw players often under the bus. I think that's a quality of leadership if you ask me. He's handling things indoor.

Strelok

I wonder how much Poch got to say, honestly. I remember he was complaining in the presser that he had the role of a coach, not a manager. Sounded like he himself, at least, felt he had little control on transfers. The others I don´t know, but I´m sure Poch would envy Ole´s freedom at United.
Well I'm not a Poc fan tbh so I don't know much about him. However I found an article:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...ottenham-have-made-under-mauricio-pochettino/

22. Jack Clarke
Given it was Daniel Levy who decided Spurs should sign Clarke from Leeds, there’s an argument to say he shouldn’t even be on this list.
That means the other 24 in the list must be wanted by Poc or at least he gave a go for those deals I think.

romufc

Young had his contract extended in the summer. If you want to praise him for getting rid what’s your view on extending his contract in the first place?

& Darmian :lol:

Andreas Periera is starting meaningful games for the club having had his contract extended in the summer - let’s temper the praise a little.

He’s doing fine but we are far from revolutionised.
I am not saying he pulled of a masterpiece or has revolutionised. Lukaku didnt want to be here from the 2nd game yet he was here for 3 seasons?

I agree players like Perreira should not be given anymore time, the reasons for the contracts are so they can get some kind of fee for the players.

But clearly you can see from 18 months ago, the club is in a completely different position.

Hamstring, Thigh & Groin are ”Muscular” injuries.
He has like 1 a season, and its not like he misses half a season.

When you sell a striker, promote another then don’t bring in adequate back up until January it’s poor squad planning.

Want another body for the sake of it? I wanted more attacking players in/around the squad from the beginning of the season, you know kind of like Igahlo who I guess OgS just brought in to have an extra body for the sake of it. . .
Attacking player is not the same as ST. I agree we need attackers such as CAM/ RW and a backup ST. Ole clearly had faith in Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Lingard / Perreira were doing well in pre season which is why he gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, he probably regrets it.

Is Ogahlo now a negative influence on Greenwood?
The reason it was a loan was because Rashford was injured for almost the rest of the season. He was never signed to start like what you suggested before.

Seriously!? Does every team usually have a goalkeeper as well or is this an optional extra?

There is a stark difference between playing with ‘a knock’ & playing injured.
So, why is Ole still the manager? Why hasn't Rashford and Pogba sued Ole and the club for negligence? If Ole and the medical staff knew they were injured why start them? No manager will risk a player who is injured. Sometimes they are rushed back, Fergie has done that himself over the past.

So you knew Rashford was injured and Pogba was?

We went on a good run heading into this Covid break but you’d think that form spanned the season given the short memories - we’ve been inept against Burnley at home this calendar year.
Yes, I do know and that is why we signed Bruno and Ighalo. Pogba, Rashford, McT all coming back to fitness as well.
A team without Bruno, Pogba, Rashford. Now take VVD, Mane and Salah out Liverpool and they will look inept in some games too.

Withnail

One is someone who knows his field, no doubt, and is showing that something that needed to be addressed in the squad is getting addressed and that's translating into a better team on and off the field. Not sure what to say about the other one.

Ole might be snide, but he doesn't throw players often under the bus. I think that's a quality of leadership if you ask me. He's handling things indoor.
I think that comment may have been a bit tongue in cheek

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Kinda premature to be saying this when there are probably plenty of players looking at the prospect of signing for United and thinking... I'd rather go when they have a top class coach instead of some have-a-go hero.
In this day and age people don't often care who the coach is, they get moved around so often.

Hazard signed for Chelsea when they didn't even have a coach :lol:

mancave bear

He should probably stick more to his coaching and try to achieve something significant, something like finishing in the top 4 at least before mouthing off shit like this. As it stands he could be sacked by September and this will come to bite him on the ass.
Turning the club arround is significant. And to get back to the top, getting rid of the deadwood and getting the right players in, is a big part of the job. He is creating a solid top team, with the right attitude. And with players who function together and fits the way we wants to play football.

Last edited:

Kostov

Turning the club arround is significant. And to get back to the top, getting rid of the deadwood and getting the right players in, is a big part of the job. He is creating a solid top team, with the right attitude. And with players who function together and fits the way we wants to play football.
It is significant, and I hope he accomplishes that, but he is far from getting this club back on top. He has the right ideas and on paper he could create a very good side if he brings players like Sancho, but the team must perform and win games in the same time. This season at times we were absolutely out of our depth and it is worrying to be fair.

Beanz

How is bruno an arsehole though?? Based on ole's definition of arsehole not yours

Steven7290

Well, according to people Ole is not qualified to run a club our size and is not making our club great again as some thought, ala Trump

How is bruno an arsehole though?? Based on ole's definition of arsehole not yours
Have you seen him moaning and showing attitude to his teammate when he played for Sporting? Thats arsehole to me. I cant speak for Ole because I'm not him

hehehehe

Brightonian

Clearly it's about Pogba's exit.
If it's 'about' anything, which I don't think is a given - it's entirely possible he's just discussing his attitude to squad-building in general - then it's surely a riposte to all the shit Lukaku has talked about us this season. Isn't the fact that Ole sold Lukaku without buying a replacement - selling an arsehole and leaving a hole - one of the criticisms people level at him?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Ole will (rightfully) be focused on how the players interact within the team environment, not about how they interact with the media.

Pretty much every professional who has spent time with Pogba throughout his career (players, managers and backroom staff) all say he is a fantastic guy who gets along with everyone and is a leader in the dressing room. Basically the only exception to this is a manager who has had similar falling outs with numerous players at numerous clubs. The fact that Pogba wants (wanted?) to leave doesn't suddenly make him an arsehole. Lukaku and Sanchez both seemed to have a far more negative impact in the dressing room than him. Maybe a little harsh on Sanchez (I get the feeling he just didn't fit in rather than being an outright negative) but I think it's quite obvious that Lukaku was becoming a real issue and even his own teammates didn't like him.

He'sRaldo

I remember the stories about Henry being the biggest arsehole in the Arsenal squad on the pitch and training ground, and once he left the players felt like they could finally relax. And when the standards slipped and complacency was breeding, all the ambitious players who questioned it or wanted to leave were viewed by Arsenal fans as arseholes. Of course we Utd fans knew better, seeing the situation from the outside.

That's why I maintain that it's important we don't compromise everything for the sake of these ideals which we think are the "best", but could very well lead to an undesirable state. As we've seen before, one side can see an arse while the other sees an ambitious individual looking to win things.

Hopefully we don't make that compromise and end up like Arsenal. If Ole is as ruthless a manager as he was a player, then he'll know not to go down that road.

lysglimt

Scout

Web of Bissaka

I remember the stories about Henry being the biggest arsehole in the Arsenal squad on the pitch and training ground, and once he left the players felt like they could finally relax. And when the standards slipped and complacency was breeding, all the ambitious players who questioned it or wanted to leave were viewed by Arsenal fans as arseholes. Of course we Utd fans knew better, seeing the situation from the outside.

That's why I maintain that it's important we don't compromise everything for the sake of these ideals which we think are the "best", but could very well lead to an undesirable state. As we've seen before, one side can see an arse while the other sees an ambitious individual looking to win things.

Hopefully we don't make that compromise and end up like Arsenal. If Ole is as ruthless a manager as he was a player, then he'll know not to go down that road.
Never heard about that but then there's the story of how Henry treated his players when he became manager of Monaco(?) or some other club (forgot), so that's not surprising. Henry has high standard.

Agree with you there, thin line between "a.holes" and "ambitious players". Ambitious players demand high standards from surrounding teammates and even managers and clubs. If they're not getting it, they tend to behave in "dickish" ways or in the end, left because the surrounding environment doesn't satisfy their desires/high-ambitions.

But I think Ole explained what he meant in the interviews although maybe it's still not really clear. Thing is, Ole himself can also be like that :lol: an "arseholes" in trainings eg. Scholes and Giggs I think revealed that, Rio definitely said how Ole dissed him during trainings/games.

So I think what Ole meant is players who are "a. holes" in a backstabbing kind of ways that is creating problems behind the scene, in interviews or by using agents.

Strelok

People complain about OGS - but Poch has made 3 excellent and 5-6 good signings out of 27. He deserves credit for Son though - one of the best signings in the P.L-era !
Yup, imagine what 'people' would say if one of Ole's signings doesn't work ...

tenpoless

I feel like if there's no Corona Lukaku would have sent a subtle response to this in his celebration or interview. The man is petty.
It must be him. Smalling was loaned because He wanted to play, Sanchez was loaned because We had younger players and need to get rid of him, Fellaini was sold because Fellaini but He was mostly calm despite being a target of abuse, Lukaku on the other hand must have had conflicts with the players who didn't like Jose. He was the teacher's pet.

Matic was also Jose's favorite but it's hard to imagine him being an arselicker like Lukaku. Lukaku's attitude was always like "grow some balls man and just do it" but He did nothing of importance himself. He's that kid who would remind the teacher if there's a homework so He gets into the good book, whether He did the homework himself is another question because "Well man at least I'm honest unlike you man, be a man and admit your mistakes like a man and don't lie man".

Last edited: