Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Gazza

Ole is basically there to open the windows and air out the funk left by Mourinho. Someone with a positive mindset who won’t kill morale by hanging his players out to dry in the press. Then when a new man takes over in the summer he does it with players who are in a better frame of mind than would be the case after 6 more months of Jose ball.

spwd

Surely a dog in a hat with a firework up it’s ass can do better than what Jose was getting out of them so hopefully it goes well for him, love the guy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Money, chance of a lifetime to manage the club he loves, put himself in the shop window for other jobs if he does well.

He has literally nothing to lose in taking the job.
Unless he fails, and you have totally ignored everything I have said...

Listar

Anyone worried?

If things go pear shape we might get relegated.

I'm hoping for the best but something tells me its not that easy. :(

Jam

So... As I understand it....

Ole (With possibly Phelan) as management until the summer.
A DoF (Likely Paul Mitchell, or possibly Monchi) will be brought in between now and summer.
The intention is to hire Poch in the summer.

spwd

Ole is basically there to open the windows and air out the funk left by Mourinho. Someone with a positive mindset who won’t kill morale by hanging his players out to dry in the press. Then when a new man takes over in the summer he does it with players who are in a better frame of mind than would be the case after 6 more months of Jose ball.
Exactly.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Alright, so he failed and was humbled at a rubbish team... now tell me why makes him suitable to continue this season for the biggest club in England who have a realistic chance of coming 4th, going on a run in the Champions League and have the FA Cup coming up.

Go on. Try and convince me this isn’t a complete fecking disaster.
No successful manager worth his salt is going to down tools at another club and take on a 6 month probation period at Manchester United. Get that through your thick fecking head. So bring in a player who lifts spirits and plays attacking football and working on resolving the other issues at the club first and foremost.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Has the newby system been relaxed or something? Because some of these newbies are spouting absolute nonsense. Anyhow they wont last long if they keep it up.

This place is getting more and more like Rawk lately.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's true that other big clubs wouldn't consider him, but they also appoint their own inexperienced former players all the time that others wouldn't gamble on. Sometimes works, often doesn't. But I think we're taking the right approach in putting our efforts into sorting out the structure and focusing on next summer's appointment. We don't need to be in title winning form for the rest of this year, we need to be scoring goals against mid-to-bottom half sides again and avoiding psychodramas. If it can work out to that extent with Ole the rest of the year, we'll probably have the most fun watching the team that we've had in years.

Won't pretend I'm not nervous, could easily go the other way as well, but I'm not sure it can fall below the nadir that our last three managers have managed to sink to in each of their signature ways.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
"Go on. Try and convince me this isn’t a complete fecking disaster.[/QUOTE]

You would rather have Roy Keane. Called our probably second most effective striker in modern times a "bench-warmer". Why would anyone waste their fecking time trying to convince you of anything. Merry Christmas.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
nothing to lose. in his eyes if his way of doing things drastically improves results then it may be permanent

this is a huge step up from team he was currently managing

Last edited:

Infra-red

Anyone worried?

Well Mourinho (even a diminished Mourinho) is a far, far more capable manager than Solksjaer, so there is little reason to think results will improve long term, but I would expect a bit more positivity about the place. Ultimately it is only for 6 months, and if we finish 10th instead of 6th, does it really matter.

liamp

Spot on. Having Phelan in with him is a sign that this is largely designed to appease the fanbase and bring a bit of the old days back. It's a pretty shrewd hire, but it also indicates that we've made peace with not making top 4 this year.

pseudo_canadian

It will be nice to actually look forward to watching United games again.

The rest of the season should be interesting, and hopefully more fun.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
IMO the only way you will get Poch is it you turn his head and make him force the move, I don’t see Poch doing this.

This is just my opinion but Levy won’t agree to any settlement from just a pot of cash. Poch will have to force it, then Levy will negotiate. Of course I could be wrong but from all I have seen, even with his time in Spain and his time with Bielsa he doesn’t see football like other managers. Happiness and general life come first, feeling wanting and more human things mean a lot to him. Another thing which probably seems stupid, but the more the media say *its a sure thing* will piss him off, he is his own man. I generally feel not many United fans have followed Poch much or listen to him and what he finds important to him. Again I’m not saying he wouldn’t be interested but it’s not as simple as is being made out.
I think they can just buy out his contract though, and there’s nothing Spurs can do about it. Not legally anyway. But maybe I have UK contract law wrong. 34m apparently.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Things can only get better, im kind of at least hoping for a honeymoon period.

I think most fans at this point would just be happy with some aggressive attacking style football. Even if it results in a loss but you can see the players giving it everything they have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah seems like it.

This is definitely a temporary arrangement to try and set things up somewhat for the next manager. I don't have much expectations from these next 6 months but it'll be nice if we develop the squad a little and build *something* over the remainder of the season even though we're not getting top 4. Maybe start running/pressing more and building a few good partnerships on the pitch.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think they can just buy out his contract though, and there’s nothing Spurs can do about it. Not legally anyway. But maybe I have UK contract law wrong. 34m apparently.
For a man who holds loyalty and building something dear, he won’t buy out his contract, who was the last manager that ever done this?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Anyone worried?

I can't see relegation ever being possible. If things go according to plan, there will be a DoF at the end of the season and enough time to find a long-term replacement. Overall, this can't get much worse than how it was under Mourinho and I believe the team will receive a short-term boost in morale which should translate on the field, but after the honeymoon period is over it will be up to Ole to find a way to keep the momentum going. Even if he fails at that, the club will be in the same shape as it would have been with Mourinho....outside of the top 4 with nothing to win for the season.

K_Ash

Apparently not. According to some people on here, it was a sinking ship and him winning 3 games out of 18 and looking like a deer in a headlights doesn’t count. Keane though? That’s apparently a laughable appointment despite him having way more experience and know-how. And Blanc? That guy only won 11 trophies out of a possible 12 with PSG but that’s a farmers league and anyone would win that league with PSG... except that time he won it with Bordeaux but we’ll just choose to ignore that whenever we discuss him.

The French League is a poor league but Solskjaer winning the Norwegian Premier League or whatever the feck it’s called is damn impressive!

And I thought this day couldn’t get any worse.
Thank you for making so much sense. Those 2 managers are just not comparable. Keeping my fingers crossed that the board changes its mind. That French connection Blanc/Martial/Pogba could do wonder in the interim

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Keane at least LOOKS the part and has a charisma and confidence about him. Solskjaer will be like a deer in the headlights as United manager. He looked out of his depth at CARDIFF ffs. But he scored that one goal so I suppose it’s okay if he has us sitting in 15th by the end of the season... I mean he’s only interim right? Then we can give about 50m for a guy who’s never won a trophy in his life. That’s the plan, right?

Yeah I can really see this ending well.
Yep, Solskjaer has never won a trophy in his life.... But hey Keane has charisma and a confidence about him... which has lead to him being sacked at every mediocre management job he's ever had due to poor results and player dissatisfaction, for virtually the same reasons that lead to his Contract with Manchester United being terminated 13 years ago. But do continue to tell me how Roy Keane is the saviour to Manchester United.

You cant see this ending well? put Roy Keane in as temporary manager and see what happens.

Mate you clearly dont have a clue and that jibe about "But he scored that one goal" is incredibly offensive to not only a great player and winner, but also to the man that managed him... you might have heard of him...

KungPaoChicken

I see that a few of you guys are a bit negative, but what options are there really on the table?

Keep Mourinho around for the remaining of the season and then appoint Pochettino/zidane or whoever?

I think almost everyone agrees it was time to part ways with mou. At this point in time there is a limited amount of managers around who would also willing to come for a short 6 month spell. Laurent Blanc keeps getting mentioned here and for a somewhat good reason. However i belive there is a major drawback with blanc that havent been adressed to much. Does he even speak English? From what i could find out on the interwebs its bad. Like maybe even worse than sanchez bad....

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We have sacked Jose and replaced him with ole. I seriously can’t believe how this is seen as a positive. He has managed a Norwegian team who should win the league every year and actually managed not to do that, he has managed Cardiff and got them relegated. Jose has won countless top trophies and will go on to win more. Ole won’t.

I mean only on the caf can this be seen as a positive.

I could be proven wrong and history re-writes itself but what an incredibly incompetent decision given the facts in front of you.

We are officially in a similar decline to the scousers after their successful period and the worrying thing is our fans are following in the same footsteps thinking these nostalgic decisions are good ones.

Laphroaig

Frank Rijkaard got Sparta Rotterdam relegated the year before he went to Barcelona, Luis Enrique failed miserably at Roma, Pochettino was essentially sacked by Espanyol when the team was in last place in the league. The list goes on and on, most managers have a bad run, very often early on.
And remember that as both player and coach Solskjær got no experience of being the underdog and fighting relegation. He only knows how to set up attacking teams that dominate. Him and Cardiff wasn't a good fit.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Are people really serious that Keane was ever a possibility? He spent the last 2 years ripping into the club and players.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
For a man who holds loyalty and building something dear, he won’t buy out his contract, who was the last manager that ever done this?
Likewise when was the last time a club kept a wantaway manager? I’m not saying he wants to leave but if he decides he wants to listen to an offer from United his position at Spurs becomes untenable.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m really excited to see Oli in the dugout. I think he’ll get us playing much better football and he’ll unite the dressing room.

I’m not sure he’s the right man to get us into the top four though.

I voted no to the question in the OP because the guy is an absolute legend and I’d hate for his legacy at this club to be tarnished over a terrible management stint.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Likewise when was the last time a club kept a wantaway manager? I’m not saying he wants to leave but if he decides he wants to listen to an offer from United his position at Spurs becomes untenable.
I have said IF he is adamant on leaving he will go, but from everything he has said I don’t see that. If he wants it, he will let it known he does and he will go, I will be dissapointed but we will move on. What I am saying is I don’t see it getting to that stage.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Are people really serious that Keane was ever a possibility? He spent the last 2 years ripping into the club and players.
I can’t velieve anyone would seriously countenance that either. He’s every bit as toxic as Maureen.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I have said IF he is adamant on leaving he will go, but from everything he has said I don’t see that. If he wants it, he will let it known he does and he will go, I will be dissapointed but we will move on. What I am saying is I don’t see it getting to that stage.
I don’t think he’ll publically state it, but privately is another issue. He’s already been remarkably uncommitted when faced with questions today. Clear he is keeping his options open. I bet his reps have already been sounded out.

haram

We have sacked Jose and replaced him with ole. I seriously can’t believe how this is seen as a positive. He has managed a Norwegian team who should win the league every year and actually managed not to do that, he has managed Cardiff and got them relegated. Jose has won countless top trophies and will go on to win more. Ole won’t.

I could be proven wrong and history re-writes itself but what an incredibly incompetent decision given the facts in front of you.

We are officially in a similar decline to the scousers after their successful period and the worrying thing is our fans are following in the same footsteps thinking these nostalgic decisions are good ones.
It is only till the end of the season. We should be positive and give him a chance.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
He was a bench warmer. But that’s beside the point... he has no business being United manager. Good player or not. Especially when he’s already made a show of himself in the PL. Nothing he’s done at Cardiff made me think he could be a good manager.

And the fact that people are excited about this baffles me.

But apparently Blanc and Keane weren’t suitable... Okay....
Keane has been a utter failure of a manager and now has failed multiple times as an Assistant Manager.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

:lol: Why do people have to make stuff up in order to justify the fairly ordinary point that this might not be a great decision?

Will Singh

Anyone worried?

If he gets the respect from the players which he will being a legend at our club, then I don't think there's nothing to be worried about and about relegation your joking right?

Jam

What reputable top-class manager wants to come in as a 'stop gap' at a club that's struggling in relation to where it wants to be?

Yeah let's get Guardiola in for six months.

Look I have issues with Ole as much as the next person. He's done 'good' at Molde, not amazing, and his spell at Cardiff was a disaster but I also think it was a bad fit. He hasn't done anything to prove himself as a Manchester United manager basically; or a top-class manager at all.

BUT, at the same time he is coming in for six months. He knows the club inside and out, he knows the identity, he'll get the fans and players on his side, he is a disciple of Fergie and will no doubt be seeking his advice on the regular while here and I think he'll lean on Carrick/McKenna/Butt/Murtough etc. heavily.

He's only here to stop the rot so to speak while we create a long term strategy in the mean time. He's here to steady the ship and give some calm and hope to a turbulent squad that looks lost. Come summer we'll have a DoF who has evaluated the squad, a seemingly steady background of coaches and a progressive manager like Poch.

It could be disaster, I agree with that, but I'm willing to get behind Ole and give him a fair crack as an interim manager.

It's kind of silly, kind of logical. Could go either way.

Darkhorsez

What reputable top-class manager wants to come in as a 'stop gap' at a club that's struggling in relation to where it wants to be?

Yeah let's get Guardiola in for six months.

Look I have issues with Ole as much as the next person. He's done 'good' at Molde, not amazing, and his spell at Cardiff was a disaster but I also think it was a bad fit. He hasn't done anything to prove himself as a Manchester United manager basically; or a top-class manager at all.

BUT, at the same time he is coming in for six months. He knows the club inside and out, he knows the identity, he'll get the fans and players on his side, he is a disciple of Fergie and will no doubt be seeking his advice on the regular while here and I think he'll lean on Carrick/McKenna/Butt/Murtough etc. heavily.

He's only here to stop the rot so to speak while we create a long term strategy in the mean time. He's here to steady the ship and give some calm and hope to a turbulent squad that looks lost. Come summer we'll have a DoF who has evaluated the squad, a seemingly steady background of coaches and a progressive manager like Poch.

It could be disaster, I agree with that, but I'm willing to get behind Ole and give him a fair crack as an interim manager.

It's kind of silly, kind of logical. Could go either way.
Let’s hedge our bet