Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters
How could Utd 'accidentally,' announce it?

We're a PLC;have a duty to announce this to our shareholders in an official way not drop a hint here and there!
What a fecking shambles of a club we're turning out to be!!
Should have waited until the stock exchange opened. Disgraceful.

It's not ideal, but it really doesn't matter.

Crashoutcassius

I think it is a better appointment than we could have made from within - McKenna or Carrick can't take the job as they don't have the qualification required, I think it would have to be Nicky Butt.

Anyone who really expected a fairly successful manager in Blanc to happily take this job for a few months is nuts. If we do it this way and wait until end of the season then options probably include Zidane, Poch and other managers that won't jump ship right now (most of the list). We could probably appoint Jardim now but he had monaco near the bottom of Ligue Un which is a mad accomplishment

Ashley R1+O

No you aren't having Mike Phelan and Rene Meulensteen. :lol: We need those guys in Australian football, leave them be. Have Warren Joyce if you must :lol:.

Crashoutcassius

Should have waited until the stock exchange opened. Disgraceful.

It's not ideal, but it really doesn't matter.
Not sure this is really true. Probably true for directors of a PLC but not normal management staff. Don't think Accenture have to announce when they hire a new manager, even if it is material to share performance over the long run

I don’t agree with the gallery point. Not a single person in this forum would have imagined Ole as manager of Manchester United, interim or not 48 hours ago.
Agreed.

Not sure this is really true. Probably true for directors of a PLC but not normal management staff. Don't think Accenture have to announce when they hire a new manager, even if it is material to share performance over the long run
It's not true, but it's usually rolled out as an argument on the Caf. Probably should have used white text - it was tongue in cheek.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think it is a better appointment than we could have made from within - McKenna or Carrick can't take the job as they don't have the qualification required, I think it would have to be Nicky Butt.

Anyone who really expected a fairly successful manager in Blanc to happily take this job for a few months is nuts. If we do it this way and wait until end of the season then options probably include Zidane, Poch and other managers that won't jump ship right now (most of the list). We could probably appoint Jardim now but he had monaco near the bottom of Ligue Un which is a mad accomplishment
Was that not down to the business model that is Monaco? They have to sell their best players, bring on youth,sell ....

Business tells you that you can't expect to flourish if you have to sell your best assets

Neal Johnson

It feels like Liverpool post 1991 when they were desperately trying to hold onto the romance of the “boot room” era bringing back Souness. We need to forget about the 90’s and 00’s football has moved on, yet our “plan” is to hark back to the good old days to try to move forwards, it’s shite

steeeb

Where have we accodentally announced it?
Last night around 9pm - it was put up but I assume set to 'private' however it seems those posts still show in search results, so searching for Solskjaer etc. found the video which had the caption that he was the new Interim manager.

They then removed the 'tags', which I assume is what were being shown in the search results, but then the direct link to the video still worked.

About an hour later they removed that too.

Spark

End of the day, at least he won’t be a non-stop grumpy cnut.

Whether he’s good or not, I have no idea. Ideal scenario is that we build on this season and actually become a force by the end of it, going into the City/Liverpool games at OT as favourites.

That would be progress.

Westerkerk

We could probably appoint Jardim now but he had monaco near the bottom of Ligue Un which is a mad accomplishment
Yeh and the issue with Jardim is that he's just another hit and hope punt. In theory looks like it might work but not while there are other issues in the club that desperately need sorting. We can keep punting for managers, however decent they look, without giving them a proper foundation to build a sucesful regime on.

The combination of our outdated structure and Mourinhos tactical arrogance and self preservation was toxic.

Why set another potential long term manager up for failure by appointing on a short term basis while the club is in flux.

Judas

Open to offers
As long as the games start being entertaining again and I don't end up wanting to do literally anything else while we're playing, I'll take it. Give some kids a chance, take some risks, make it fun.

Crashoutcassius

Was that not down to the business model that is Monaco? They have to sell their best players, bring on youth,sell ....

Business tells you that you can't expect to flourish if you have to sell your best assets
plenty of clubs do this, look at their squad and the level of teams around them in what is quite a weak league. even if it is kinda okay because they sold some players for 100s of millions - is it the level of manager we want at united?

SATA

With Phelan as assistant and Carrick and McKenna still coaches, i assume Jose's coaching staff has gone as well? I really hope so as this is a fresh and brand new start and we need to clear away this toxic environment for it

Red Viking

This has nostalgia all over it and even more baffling is if he is chosen on social connections rather than on merit as the club right now need to make astute and intelligent decisions. We can not play as the old Manchester United as we simply do not have decent 1 winger at the club nor do we have the personnel to play with 2 central midfielders. Paul Pogba is too weak defensively to make it work and also the team do not have any playmaker that can pull the strings either which is a huge problem.

This smells like a just get the season over with rather than trying to salvage the season.

Judas

Open to offers
With Phelan as assistant and Carrick and McKenna still coaches, i assume Jose's coaching staff has gone as well? I really hope so as this is a fresh and brand new start and we need to clear away this toxic environment for it
Yeah there's no chance any of them are sticking around.

Jezpeza

I think a good appointment. No one major was going to take a 5 month stint here. Did anyone want big sam, Alan pardew, Steve Bruce etc in to play long ball up to Lukaku? That’s the options available. Good chance we can restructure in the meantime and identify a proper manager and transfer targets in the meantime.

Also feel this could spell the inclusion of some youngsters and the end of some of the trash that floats round our match day squads

Judas

Open to offers
This has nostalgia all over it and even more baffling is if he is chosen on social connections rather than on merit as the club right now need to make astute and intelligent decisions. We can not play as the old Manchester United as we simply do not have decent 1 winger at the club nor do we have the personnel to play with 2 central midfielders. Paul Pogba is too weak defensively to make it work and also the team do not have any playmaker that can pull the strings either which is a huge problem.

This smells like a just get the season over with rather than trying to salvage the season.
Completely which is a bit weird, but plenty on here seem happy to accept it, so I'm not surprised to see the club happily go for this idea.

UpWithRivers

Hiring Ole and releasing it 'accidentally' sums up our management. Always fking things up. I think he will do ok here, especially for the first few games as the players will all of a sudden put in an extra 20 percent that they refused Mourinho. But this is not a no risks job. We are still Man United. We still have to finish the season and we still have to build a foundation over the next six months ready for the next manager. We just have to pray things go ok for him. We need to build the team, the confidence and at least fight for fourth. Then new manager can come in and build on the back of a good six month period. The risk is lets say we loose a couple. Pogba starts his moaning. Players start turning against Ole. Papers start putting on the pressure. Can he pull us out of that situation? If he doesnt, we will limp to 7/8th and go into summer first having to attract a manager that sees the sht the state the team is in and secondly knowing that he needs to start from scratch building and repairing a team.
I do love the guy though! Him and Mata sandwhich!

Crashoutcassius

Yeh and the issue with Jardim is that he's just another hit and hope punt. In theory looks like it might work but not while there are other issues in the club that desperately need sorting. We can keep punting for managers, however decent they look, without giving them a proper foundation to build a sucesful regime on.

The combination of our outdated structure and Mourinhos tactical arrogance and self preservation was toxic.

Why set another potential long term manager up for failure by appointing on a short term basis while the club is in flux.
I agree. We should wait until the new man in charge of football at the club can come in and help us decide what manager we want. No harm in being patient with this. If it means we have to go familiar to get an interim managers rather than get the biggest name manager available to attempt to come top 4 then I'm okay with that.

On another note, I thinkwhat we said above applies to Zidane to some extent. Not saying he is a punt of a manager but I would prefer a manager with a bit more of a style and track record and building teams and philosophies. I see Zidane as in the same mould of Mourinho, in that he is a tactician, match to match, pragmatic. Not the first coach I would pick when it comes to building a new foundation - seems more like us saying 'the current group of players and structure and staff at club is fine, we just need the biggest available manager to go and get the best out of them and try win something in short term'.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Important Norway update: The leader of the Christian Democratic Party called in to the live stream of a newspaper to tease the Prime Minister for tweeting and subsequently deleting the tweet about Solskjær being interim manager.

Suffice it to say that if this doesn't happen we'll probably direct the Pension Fund to purchase Manchester United so we can make it happen.
Well to be fair, we do invest much of the funs in stocks, often in shady companies like Nestle, so why not United? The club makes a massive profit and it does not murder people and deny them drinking water

OttoH

Anyone know what formation he mainley used at molde
He's played mostly in 4231, but not dogmatic about it. Depending on personell he has also deployed 433 or 442, at times also with a back three although that does not seem to be his preference. Attacking full backs keep the width, while the the wide men in the attacking midfield band is more "inside forwards" (to use FM language). Lately he has been having a strong powerful striker on top (the son of Alfie Haaland), with a creative player behind him in front of the midfield. He has used a very young team here in Norway.

His playing style is more suited to top team than relegation battlers. I think one of the problems with the unsucessful spell in Cardiff was trying to play as he did back in Molde where he could dominate games in a way Cardiff never were capable of. A sometimes overly ambitious style. He has done som beatuiful attacking football when things have aligned in Molde, both possession based and through quick transitions. At one point our most dangerous attacking weapon was our right back, and goal/assits comes from a variety of sources. It remains of course to be seen if he can replicate this in the much more tactically developed premier league.

He has an attacking intent. Molde scored the most goals (by a big margin) in Norway this season. But we had equally more goal against as well, compared to the team that won the league (molde came 2nd). From what I have seen a weakness would be the amount of space left behind, and that sometimes leads to trouble. You'll need defensive players who are good at covering ground and speed would come in handy.

He has done fair enough in European football against teams that are better than Molde, som totally naive he might not be. Maybe he learnt something about that at Cardiff...

Reactions: Sultan

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They also had Di Matteo who was sacked from WBA but Ofcourse that wouldn't fit your post so you missed it.
I mentioned RDM in a number of other posts on this matter. But of course, that wouldn’t fit your agenda, so you missed it.

crossy1686

career ending
All gone apart from the ones you mentioned and the goal keeping coach apparently.

dove

I really don't get some of you. He is here for basically 6 months while the club tries to sort out the mess and prepare a proper structure for a new manager. If we picked from our legends, Ole is probably the best option. Some of you don't know but he already has 10 years managerial experience. He is a far better option than Hughes, Bruce or some stupid suggestions I saw like Cantona, Evra, Neville. Jose was clearly damaging the club from inside and outside. I am pretty sure we sacked him not only because of poor results. We are struggling to extend contracts with our best players. I think it's quite clear we want Poch but of course we need to wait for summer. Instead of getting the first available manager right now, I think it's the better option.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I hope ole can be ruthless and clears out the dross we've had.

Enough with given clean slate bullshit. Players like valencia young jones and smailing aren't kids. They're 1 year away from their testimonial yet here we are still thinking they'd become good.

Waynenmads

So we appoint Solksjaer, who’s Premier League experience is to get Cardiff City relegated.....Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irrational.

One of the ex-directors was on the radio and thought Cantona would've been a better appointment. He felt the Ole appointment was a bit 'boring' and that Cantona would've brought much more of a feel good factor with him.

Whilst I agree, he'd also be a much more risky appointment and things could go wrong very quickly. We need a period of stability and Ole may be able to provide that.

An Irish Red

It feels like Liverpool post 1991 when they were desperately trying to hold onto the romance of the “boot room” era bringing back Souness. We need to forget about the 90’s and 00’s football has moved on, yet our “plan” is to hark back to the good old days to try to move forwards, it’s shite
That's not really fair. We're only appointing Solskjaer on an interim basis; our long-term plan isn't known yet.

If the media talk is true then it would appear that we're trying to pair a director of football with (a summer appointment) of Pochettino. That definitely would be 'moving forwards' like.