Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

jesperjaap

Love the guy, has done well at Molde, but it is hard to forget what a flop he was at Cardiff, still its only 6 months and not like we can actually get worse anyway

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yep as expected. Welcome back Ole.
Even more excited for Saturday now. Let's do this
I'm terrified and excited. I hope people aren't expecting too much from this appointment, it's only a temporary deal after all.

It will be heartbreaking if he fails miserably and gets slaughtered for his troubles.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I said last season Jose will be gone by xmas. I predicted that he'd be sacked today and now I'm saying Ole will win us the CL this season. :cool:
Oooooh.
I do hope it comes true. Would be amazing.
Logically, the guy does not have a good managerial track record, but as he is only here for 6 months, it won't matter too much.
I just want us to make sure that the next manager is a good 'un.

Ban

Welcome back, Ole!

Hope fans will be kind to you.

What to expect from him, to steady the ship and have at least decent results I guess?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm terrified and excited. I hope people aren't expecting too much from this appointment, it's only a temporary deal after all.

It will be heartbreaking if he fails miserably and gets slaughtered for his troubles.
I doubt anyone would really slaughter Solskjaer given the circumstances. If things don't go well then I would expect the players to be in the firing line.

OverratedOpinion

I don't think he would, I think people had already resigned themselves to this season being a write off and will fully understand that Ole is just here because the club is desperate and as he proved in his playing career there are very few things he would not do for Man Utd.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
Whatever happens now is all on the players. They've no hiding place and if they don't perform then they should be criticised, both online and at the stadium.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Think he’ll be fine as long as he doesn’t get us relegated.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If he does well and gets the players playing good attacking football then there is a possibility the appointment could be made permanent.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Seems the perfect choice for the role.
Genuine question, but how?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds, and ends up as permanent manager, maybe with a DOF, but how is he the perfect choice?

He has very limited experience, and none of us know anything about his management or playing style (unless you do?).

It'll be great seeing him in the dugout at OT, but to me this looks like a massive risk.

Revaulx

Harsh to judge him on his stint at Cardiff. Bear in mind that Caf darling Pochettino got sacked by Espanyol for taking them to the bottom of the league.

That said, I do feel it's an appointment driven by sentiment rather than merit. If it were for a few weeks, then fair enough. But there's a lot of the season left. A few easy wins followed by a lengthy spell of struggling through the early part of 2019 isn't going to give the players the confidence they so badly need.

Hope it doesn't turn out like that, obvs.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He knows the club, loves and respects the club. The fans love him and will no doubt support him 100% but he’s got to earn that from the squad of players he’s inherited. Some have already shown if they don’t fancy they’ll just down tools. Anyway, it’s an interim appointment and I’d be happy to see him in the dugout. Good luck Ole!
When the fans are singing your name like ours will, there's no question of respect. What I like about Ole is that he is one of us and I think that's why the board have done it.

Canagel

And that's all it is really. Infact theres no reason to be terrified. We are rock bottom right now and things can only get better. Ole just needs to get players back on side and release the shackles . We're not expecting top 4 the seasons has been write off as far as I'm concerned and if he can surprise us and close the gap even better.
No-one can criticize him unless we slide further down the table which I'm certain isn't going to happen

Djemba-Djemba

To go from Mourinho consistently having little digs at Utd and Utd's history to a manager who we all know genuinely loves the club is fantastic.

I'm so happy with this.

Erebus

Like everyone else love Ole. Heart says brilliant but head worries about Cardiff. Really hope it works for him. But would be worse if things went pear shaped for Ole moreso than for almost anyone else.

Ban

And that's all it is really. Infact theres no reason to be terrified. We are rock bottom right now and things can only get better. Ole just needs to get players back on side and release the shackles . We're not expecting top 4 the seasons has been write off as far as I'm concerned and if he can surprise us and close the gap even better.
No-one can criticize him unless we slide further down the table
Remember that we'll still in the CL though.

edcunited1878

Cats out of the bag. It's all over Twitter now.
I feel like the club does this on purpose, one because it's a final test run/preview of the webpage (but you're able to do this without making it public/live) and two it generates anticipation before the official announcement.

Denis_unwise

I just hope he plays attacking football, even if it means we're more open at the back.
I don't actually think we could be more open at the back than we have been. This when we've been playing defensive football. I won't mind us playing a more chaotic style as long as we start scoring more goals.

JonDahl

People judging him on his stint at Cardiff? :houllier:

You can find any manager that did awful at a previous team. About time we hired someone who gets the ethos of the club and not a shiny new toy for the glory hunters.

Prodigy24

Same here. I get excited and optimistic but then I remember his stint at Cardiff, and realise how weird and unexpected this whole appointment is. Terrified and excited is the best way to explain this.

UncleBob

No-one can criticize him unless we slide further down the table
Which is hardly impossible under a manager with extremely little experience at this level

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Didn't think this morning I'd go to bed tonight with him as manager. Seems a bit random but what the hell...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Delighted. 100% agree with bringing in an interim manager with a history with the club, someone who understands us. Get us back to our roots, and build off of that. Who the feck knows how Solskjaer will actually be as manager. He's an interim appointment, hopefully he gets the feel good factor back at the club so we can at the very least start looking forward to games again. Play with an attacking mentality and not fall out with everyone is literally all that needs to be done to improve this season.

And no, whatever he did at Cardiff means absolutely nothing to his prospects at a big club. People need to stop thinking it is in any way relatable managing a bottom club and a big club. Literally no similarities and you could have Big Sam excel at one and flop in the other just like Pep could excel in one and flop in the other.

Chairman Steve

Pretty sure Frank Rijkaard got a team relegated somewhere before he joined Barcelona as their head coach.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Genuinely no idea what to expect. Which is exciting, I guess?

If he can prove there’s the makings of a good, exciting attacking side in there (which I’m sure there is) then I’ll be happy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Genuine question, but how?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds, and ends up as permanent manager, maybe with a DOF, but how is he the perfect choice?

He has very limited experience, and none of us know anything about his management or playing style (unless you do?).

It'll be great seeing him in the dugout at OT, but to me this looks like a massive risk.
In sense that the season is already a write off in the eyes of many. We're not going to get top 4 and we're not relegated - so the risk is minimal with Ole, imo. The worst that will happen is that we will go through motions for 6 months and best is that he'll actually do something with this opportunity.

cyberman

Martial might finally get a run upfront.
There's nothing wrong with that. Two up top stops the center halves stepping up, we can put pressure through the middle and play Lukaku / Rashford / Martial and Sanchez all up top.
Pogba also has more runners to pick out etc.