Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wow.

Thought it was a bit odd that his name came up almost straight away - but still, didn't expect him to actually get the gig.

Interesting, exciting - looking forward to see what he can get out of the players.

He gets United, at the very least - won't be parking any buses for no good reason, won't be acting like a fecking cnut for no good reason either.

I hope he turns out a grand success (needless to say).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How? Zidane was hardly going to be an interim manager for six months
Zidane is free now. If we are interested, sign him now and he has six months to prepare swuad for next season. That six months can be crucial. I really think that this is sign that Zidane is off.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't really understand why he is leaving a full time managerial position for a 6 month temporary contract.
Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Molde after the six months, this is too big an opportunity for him to turn down now.

0le

Zidane is free now. If we are interested, sign him now and he has six months to prepare swuad for next season. That six months can be crucial. I really think that this is sign that Zidane is off.
It is possible that Zidane may want Juventus rather than United.

Ranchero

Just to say that the thread headline is misleading. It is not official. It would be fair to say the website says he is the manager. But that is not official. They could have preparing a video for website in preparation for the possibility and accidentally posted it. That does't mean he is officially announced.

Dinghy

Love the guy, has done well at Molde, but it is hard to forget what a flop he was at Cardiff, still its only 6 months and not like we can actually get worse anyway
He made a mistake when he tried to implement a new modern, attacking style of football in the middle of the season in a side without the quality, and who was fighting relegation.

Actually think he'll do really well here as we've got the players to make his style work (minus the CB's), and he'll frequently play some of the youngsters. Can't fecking wait for the game this weekend.

Bratt

I don't really understand why he is leaving a full time managerial position for a 6 month temporary contract.
The norwegian season has just finished, starts again in the middle of march, so he wont miss much if it’s sort of a loan.

Womp

idiot
Ridiculous appointment. Everyone seems so giddy in here. All I’ve read is that the people in charge ‘know nothing about football’ and the rest of it, and now they have gone and made Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the manager, and the caf celebrates. This is making us even more of a circus in my opinion. Ole won 3 out of 18 PL games and now he’s in the United Job. What’s the plan? Everyone smiles all day at Carrington now instead of apparently frowning? Okay great. Now what about setting up a football team?
We assess that come the end of the season. It's obvious they are keen on Pochettino, but that can't be done until the summer. TBF, it would be an almost impossible task for any manager to get anything out of our season given how far behind we are. It will give the board a few months to hopefully get things in order for next season though. A director, a manager they've actually put thought and planning into etc.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Didn't expect him to walk away from Molde (for a second time) but I guess he just couldn't say no to this.

I hope he gets a job here in some capacity after this stint is over. Maybe he could be our DOF :lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This is good cause we have more than enough time to plan and see who the next permanent manager should be. Not jumping from one to the other quickly. And who knows maybe Ole will turn out to be great.
Yeah, I’m fine with the Caretaker approach. It’s worked very well for Chelsea in the past and gives us a better chance of finding a proper replacement in the long term. I personally think someone like Blanc would’ve been the more sensible choice, but I’m more than willing to see how it goes under Ole. Genuinely excited about the next game for the first time in an age, so that’s a good thing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Genuine question, but how?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds, and ends up as permanent manager, maybe with a DOF, but how is he the perfect choice?

He has very limited experience, and none of us know anything about his management or playing style (unless you do?).

It'll be great seeing him in the dugout at OT, but to me this looks like a massive risk.
Any interim manager we appoint is taking on a very limited role. No real time to properly bed in a new system, unlikely to have much influence over what we do in the transfer window, already in a bad position in the league.

To my mind all the interim manager can really do is get the players he has on board, engender good spirit and morale about the club again, set up the team in a coherent way and see what happens. Given Solkjaer's status at the club and general demeanour, I can't think of anyone we were likely to get who would be more suited to engendering that morale and good spirit amongst the players, fans and club generally. People have suggested that Mourinho's sour personality, abrasive man management style and constant criticism of the players has played a large part in their underperformances. Well Solskjaer is the antithesis of that.

Normally that wouldn't be enough to make a manager a good appointment but given the circumstances and the narrow timeframe he's operating in it may be enough the resuscitate the team for the remainder of the season at least. He would never be a contender for the role full time in my eyes but these are special circumstances and we're really just looking for him to fill that Roberto Di Matteo type role.

dave1956

Now being reported that the statement has been deleted from the club web site. Source BBC Sports News

Irrational.

Wasn't too convinced by his last stint in the PL and seems like a bit of a yes man but I hope he can get us firing.

His lack of managerial experience at any kind of top level is a worrying factor for me.

lex talionis

I’m 100% behind this appointment. We’re not in a position to expect any trophies this season, anyway.

As long as we play better football and hold onto sixth place Ole will have settled things down for his successor to begin the hard work of rebuilding the squad and having us compete for a major trophy next season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Okay, what top class manager would be content with taking up an interim position?
How could I possibly tell you that, from my bedroom in East London?

I am confident that if Solskjaer has spent his career elsewhere, and was judged on his merits as a manager, Manchester United would not struggle to get a more qualified manager than him, interim or not. Chelsea have managed to get Hiddink, Benitez and Grant in similar circumstances. If I had said yesterday we should sack Jose and get Ole in I can only imagine the reaction.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Would hate to see a true legend of ours suffering in the dugout as we slip further down the table. Really hope he's got some good people around him and that the players give him 100%. Actually got butterflies thinking about it.

Handré1990

Wasn‘t he sacked by Crystal Palace or some lower table PL club a while ago? Smells like Milan appointing Seedorf, Inzaghi, Gattuso etc and not getting any rewards
He has also won titles in Norway against the odds, and instilled an attacking playingstyle in a team.

Bojan11

Would hate to see a true legend of ours suffering in the dugout as we slip further down the table. Really hope he's got some good people around him and that the players give him 100%. Actually got butterflies thinking about it.
He’d have Rene and Mike with him apparently.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You think 6 months of shitty results won't be a negative? I dunno, as I say I think its a risk.

Nothing would please me more than for him to succeed though.

Odd appointment for me though.
I'm not expecting a disaterous second half to our season. The way I see it, top 4 is done, so us finishing 6th to 13th etc is not going to make much difference. In fact, I'd prefer if we weren't in Europa League at all next season. That's all on proviso that we're actually going to get our shit together and use 6 months that we have wisely. Appoint a good DoF and get Poch, Zidane or Jardim to start off next season with a clean slate.

Neal Johnson

Bizarre appointment, I’ve heard stuff like “adored by the crowd” and “he knows the club so well”. All this means is that for the next 10 games any drivel we churn out will be met with the gormless blind faith we’ve seen for 5 years.

The club is a shambles, lurching blindly from one head scratcher to another.

OverratedOpinion

Ridiculous appointment. Everyone seems so giddy in here. All I’ve read is that the people in charge ‘know nothing about football’ and the rest of it, and now they have gone and made Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the manager, and the caf celebrates. This is making us even more of a circus in my opinion. Ole won 3 out of 18 PL games and now he’s in the United Job. What’s the plan? Everyone smiles all day at Carrington now instead of apparently frowning? Okay great. Now what about setting up a football team?
Frank Rijkaard got Sparta Rotterdam relegated the year before he went to Barcelona, Luis Enrique failed miserably at Roma, Pochettino was essentially sacked by Espanyol when the team was in last place in the league. The list goes on and on, most managers have a bad run, very often early on.

The usual for this type of situation is to give it to your assistant manager who has no experience we are just lucky enough to have a legend happy to take it on who happens to have already won two league titles with an unfancied side after successfully coaching our youth team.

I just personally don't see how we could have made a better choice given the circumstances we find ourselves in. Blanc maybe but I was very, very doubtful he would take it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Even in this our staff feck it up :lol:

Happy for the guy. I personally wanted Blanc but am also happy with this.

Bola

Might get confusing if we dominate a side and string lots of passes together in the closing minutes

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Any interim manager we appoint is taking on a very limited role. No real time to properly bed in a new system, unlikely to have much influence over what we do in the transfer window, already in a bad position in the league.

To my mind all the interim manager can really do is get the players he has on board, engender good spirit and morale about the club again, set up the team in a coherent way and see what happens. Given Solkjaer's status at the club and general demeanour, I can't think of anyone we were likely to get who would be more suited to engendering that morale and good spirit at amongst the players, fans and club generally. People have suggested that Mourinho's sour personality, abrasive man management style and constant criticism of the players has played a large part in their underperformances. Well Solskjaer is the antithesis of that.

Normally that wouldn't be enough to make a manager a good appointment but given the circumstances and the narrow timeframe he's operating in it may be enough the resuscitate the team for the remainder of the season at least. He would never be a contender for the role full time in my eyes but these are special circumstances.
Yeah, I get all that, and hopefully mate.

It will be like night and day compared to what the players have had up to now.

One thing I think would be a good idea would be to stick Butt into the coaching mix as well. Ole (and presumably), Carrick & McKenna are no doubt nice guys who'll promote a positive atmosphere. Butt seems like a no bullshit sort, and team mate of Ole who might help temper some of the egos when needed.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Ole is a gentleman, I don't know how good he'll be for us as manager, but it'll be a lift to everybody - players and fans, I'm buzzing about this. Who isn't?

He won't antagonise opposition fans, he won't fall out with the players, and he sure as hell won't throw anybody under the bus.

...and if it doesn't work, and we're shit and finish 7th, please, please don't hate on him - he's a bona fide United legend who deserves our respect and support in all he does for us.