Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

snk123

Just to add a thank you note to all the newbies who are adding excellent entertainment value to this thread . :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Important Norway update: The leader of the Christian Democratic Party called in to the live stream of a newspaper to tease the Prime Minister for tweeting and subsequently deleting the tweet about Solskjær being interim manager.

Suffice it to say that if this doesn't happen we'll probably direct the Pension Fund to purchase Manchester United so we can make it happen.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
ole gunnar ffs we r still shopping at Primark. Until we reach John Lewis we are only going one way and it isn't up.
from bad to worse you could not make this up if you tried, its unbelieveable a complete farce.
Is it worth pointing out that the hiring of an interim manager is merely a temporary solution, a stop-gap, not to be considered permanent by any stretch of the imagination?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
But why would he agree to this if there wasn’t even a chance of a permanent position?
He's a legend at United, it's probably a dream of his to manage us, by the sounds of things he may even be able to get his job at Molde back once he leaves here anyway. He might also view it as a good chance to showcase his abilities for the distant future.

Infra-red

But why would he agree to this if there wasn’t even a chance of a permanent position?
He's an absolute nobody (in managerial terms) being offered 6 months at the helm of one of the two or three biggest clubs in the world.

For many managers, that wouldn't be enough, but for a 45 year old managing in Norway, is surely is.

m1tch

I think it's fair to assume the club is already fairly set on who they want as the next manager, but that they aren't available until the summer.

As such those managers of Blanc's profile were highly unlikely to accept a caretaker role and have to audition for the job at best. So it was always going to be someone of a lower profile. Someone to bring a feel good factor back, albeit clearly an impossible task in regards to some fans here.

Ole with Phelan is a good choice in my opinion, giving us a bit more experience than Carrick and McKenna would alone for the rest of the season. Yes it might not work out, but surely at this stage, before a ball has been kicked, we should at least feel optimistic that these guys will get a reaction out of the players and we'll see an improvement in the football and the results.

Skills

Snitch
:lol: State of this. You just made a thread about wanting Roy fecking Keane as the new manager after seeing him do a pundit stint on tv and you have the nerve to call others clueless.
:lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why not?

If he does well then his career is boosted by performing at a much bigger club than he had any real right to be appointed to. If he doesn't do well then no club at the level he's currently operating at will care anyway. It's not like he's going to be blamed if our season goes wrong given the mess he's taking over.

SER19

Only manager Pogba's ever had problems is José. The same José countless players have fallen out with despite, like Pogba, not falling out with other managers.

Don't let that stop you from calling him "pogbatelli", though. There are so many similarities! Apparently, anyway...
Im truly hoping to be proven wrong. Hes a brilliant player. But he downed tools. Whether he likes the manager or not he cheated the fans and club

He could do with a why always me t shirt as he always seems to find himself innocently at the middle of little pr disasters

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Great news! Ideal choice to tide us over until the summer. A bit of class about the place will be a welcome relief to Mourinho. Let's get the positivity back and hopefully everyone starts enjoying the football again.

Can't wait for the weekend.

Come on Ole!!! :devil:

Reactions: SteveJ

Morpheus 7

Great player that always loved the club and more importantly embraced it. He's coached Pogba and Jesse in the youth setup, knows what United is about. He will get give Greenwood a shot in the next few weeks, impossible to play worse football. We have nothing to lose and could get this team playing better football, more importantly Unite the fans, players and staff. Welcome back Ole!

goofygoofygoofy

People wanted us to be like Real Madrid and follow them in sacking our manager. Well, we've got an ex-player as interim just like them. What's the difference between Solari and Solskjaer? They have about the same level as experience so why can't Ole do well for us?

This season should be about youth and attacking football and planning for next season. We need a technical director in so we can get the next manager right (and the managers after that) as well getting other people in place. We need to be doing what Arsenal did at the end of last season and totally restructure the club. Maybe it can be fourth time lucky for us when it was first time lucky for them.

Infra-red

I think it's fair to assume the club is already fairly set on who they want as the next manager, but that they aren't available until the summer.

As such those managers of Blanc's profile were highly unlikely to accept a caretaker role and have to audition for the job at best. So it was always going to be someone of a lower profile. Someone to bring a feel good factor back, albeit clearly an impossible task in regards to some fans here.

Ole with Phelan is a good choice in my opinion, giving us a bit more experience than Carrick and McKenna would alone for the rest of the season. Yes it might not work out, but surely at this stage, before a ball has been kicked, we should at least feel optimistic that these guys will get a reaction out of the players and we'll see an improvement in the football and the results.
Blanc was reportedly extremely keen to take on an interim role as an audition for the permanent job. It seems we changed the criteria to an interim-only position, with no prospects beyond 6 months. There can only be one reason for that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jesus some people...

It’s an interim manager, his task will be to come in and coach the first team for 5 months whilst the club prepares for the future with a potential director of football and long term manager sounded out.

You aren’t getting Zidane, Poch or anybody of that calibre mid season and the likes of Blanc would want a long term deal, the club don’t want to commit at this point in time until everything has been sorted out.

Top 4 is gone, we’re out of the Caraboe and have PSG in the CL, this season is a write off, best case scenario is a FA Cup win at this point. If Ole can get us playing a bit of attacking football it will be a refreshing change from the shit I’ve watched for the past 18 months.
Except it hasn’t. We’re 6th. Not 16th.

I also don’t think the importance in how we finish the season should be underestimated either. Finishing 12th won’t be good for anyone. This ‘feel good’ spirit everyone thinks Ole is going to instill won’t last a month if we are losing football matches every week. 6 months is a long time to be rubbish. 6 games is one thing, but 6 months changes mentalities, forms habits etc.

Even if we don’t make the top 4, I’d rather us go again next season having finished 5th having put up a fight, determined to take that next step next year, rather than been nowhere near, having finished behind Watford, Bournemouth and Wolves, the likes of who will respect us even less next year if that happens. Giving up on a season on 18th December is ridiculous, and giving up hope of moving 2 places up a league table in 6 months is similarly so.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He said in August that we should build the team around Pogba. Wonder if he's going to do that and where he's going to play him?

He plays with a 4213 at Molde. Maybe he'll play Pogba in the deeper position, but allow him to get forward - similar to how he plays Hussain.

Rashford Martial Lingard
Mata
Pogba Herrera
Shaw Lindelof Smalling Dalot
De Gea
I took the following from an article based on Solskjaer's time at Molde:

"Even tactically Solskjaer is prepared to develop a number of theories. A 4-3-3 system that features rampaging full-backs is a weapon of choice, but he has experimented with a rigid three-pronged attack supported by three central midfielder and again rampaging full-backs.

But he isn’t afraid to mix it up either and at times has deployed a 4-4-2 that relies on plenty of width from the full-backs and wingers, and features a forward behind the striker."

Whatever happens from here on out, we can expect attacking, adventurous football for the remainder of this season.

I'll settle for that as long as we don't relegated.

littlepeasoup

If anything, the appointment brings back a bit of the good feeling we've been missing for a long time.

Don't think Ole really has much to lose by taking the position knowing it's temporary, so I hope he doesn't play safe, and really leaves everything out on the pitch.

Analysis of Ole tactics from a Molde fan

BiggusD

Supports
Molde FK
At Molde, Solskjær prefers an attacking 433.

Big striker up front, two inside forwards.

An attacking playmaker-type midfielder behind the striker, one "box-to-box" midfielder and one deeper-lying one who often drops between the central defenders, linking the midfield and defense.

Attacking full-backs/wing backs and two defenders who are ideally playing to each other's strengths.

The inside forwards cut inside, often linking with the striker or the wing backs. Trying to win back possession when in defense and counter-attack quickly. When playing against a "parked bus", the wing backs overlap a lot. At their best, Molde managed to press aggressively and win back possession quickly, and attempts to play a continental, high-possession game.

At their worst (during this 433 spell), the defense fell apart, perhaps due to a lack of quality in that part of the team; but the defending became better when they figured each other out as a team, in a tactic that extracted the best out of each player. The problem in 2015-17 was that he tried to re-invent the wheel and introduce the popular 343 to Norway, and it failed badly. His job was on the line as late as this summer, as he fumbled and experimented again and again without seemingly realising that his ideas didn't work. This all worked out in his favour when he got former United-youngster and personal favourite Magnus Wolff Eikrem back from Seattle and returned to the 433 he won three titles with. Almost unbeaten since then.

So, the way I see it, Solskjær does one of two things the coming weeks:

A) Implement the system he knows and is familiar with; a 433 with Lukaku as a central striker and maybe Pogba as an attacking midfielder (or Sanchez?). Patient possession football when attacking, quick direct counter-attacking football when defending (and attempting this modern aggressive pressing system as well). Great success as he wins the CL, but fails in the big matches so ends like 5th or 6th in the league. Goes back home to Molde (I hope).

B) Tries literally anything else tactically, in the span of these 6 months and within each match. Fails miserably. Returns to Molde in time for the new season in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niall

Dante

Average bang
Why not Bruce or Hughes, he’ll even Gary NevilleOk not fashionable but far more experience than Ole? Hell even Gary N would surely have jumped at the chance?
Our manager needs to be able to command respect from the squad from day one. Mourinho's failure was down to his inability to do that all the way through his tenure. The squad is talented enough. It just needs someone who can motivate them to do the basics and give the requisite effort.

Hughes has been too much of joke in recent PL seasons for him to be under consideration. And Bruce is too much of a throwback for any of our players to know who he is.

Ole, on the other hand, is famous enough to grab everyone's attention. We even sing his name on a semi-regular basis. The aura of his legend will be enough as long as he can be halfway competent.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't mind Bruce as a DoF. His talent spotting over the years has been brilliant.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan

I also don’t think the importance in how we finish the season should be underestimated either. Finishing 12th won’t be good for anyone. This ‘feel good’ spirit everyone thinks Ole is going to instill won’t last a month if we are losing football matches every week. 6 months is a long time to be rubbish. 6 games is one thing, but 6 months changes mentalities, forms habits etc.

Even if we don’t make the top 4, I’d rather us go again next season having finished 5th having put up a fight, determined to take that next step next year, rather than been nowhere near, having finished behind Watford, Bournemouth and Wolves, the likes of who will respect us even less next year if that happens. Giving up on a season on 18th December is ridiculous, and giving up hope of moving 2 places up a league table in 6 months is similarly so.
Let's be real. There's more chance of me sleeping with Lisa from Blackpink than there is of United finishing in the top 4 this season.

Nick8585

Now that I’ve had time to think, I think appointing Ole as interim manager is a very good idea.

I think Ole and his backroom staff, who I expect will be full of familiar faces, will give the whole club a lift.

The fact that Ole is only an interim manager means that United can freely speak to other managers over the coming months and gauge who they think best to take the club forward.

I think Ole will give the younger players plenty of chances to play as well as bringing some pride in the shirt back into the dressing room.

Most of all there is a link between Ole and Pogba from Ole’s time as reserve manager so hopefully Ole can sort out Pogba’s issue and get the best from him.

Reactions: Theonas

Castia

We’re 11 points behind, 12 essentially because of our GD.

We’d need Chelsea or Spurs to lose about 7-8 games for us to have a minimal chance of getting it, it’s not happening.

macheda14

Well he has managed at a decent level, poorly yes, but higher certainly.
Ole managed at premier league level poorly and at molde which is a level way below AND was our reserves coach. 4 month’s at Valencia is not more experience no matter how you spin it. 10 years managing at different levels is more experience than 4 months.

Denis79

Our manager needs to be able to command respect from the squad from day. Mourinho's failure was down to his inability to do that. The squad is talented enough. It just needs someone who can motivate them to do the basics and give the requisite effort.

Hughes has been too much of joke in recent PL seasons. Bruce is too much of a throwback for any of our players to know who he is.

Ole, on the other hand, is famous enough to grab everyone's attention. We even sing his name on a semi-regular basis. The aura of his legend will be enough as long as he can be halfway competent.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't mind Bruce as a DoF. His talent spotting over the years has been brilliant.
The pressure will be on the players now and not Ole. They've gotten a free pass for poor performances under Mourinho. Football wont be negative now of that I'm sure of, so let's see how the players react.

Born2Lose

He'll respect the club, the fans and he'll try to play attacking football for six months. Sounds great to me compared to the last six months with Mourinho.

Hopefully it'll be confirmed in the morning. Can't remember the last time I looked forward to a United game

Oaencha

Let's be real. There's more chance of me sleeping with Lisa from Blackpink than there is of United finishing in the top 4 this season.
I don’t care what this says about me but all four of them are hot and ‘as if it’s your last’ is one hell of a catchy song.

Negan

Yes beacuse managing us is the same as managing fecking Cardiff.
So we should give the job to anyone who does poor with a shit team then? Why not John Carver then. I mean managing Newcastle isn’t the same as managing United!... Right? :rolleyes:
Imagine being optimistic at appointing a club legend on an interim basis during a season that is already over.

Weirdo.
Except it’s not fecking over. We’re SIXTH. We can still come fourth. We’re still in the Champions League and we still have the FA Cup. Do you honestly see us getting ANY of those things under fecking Solskjaer? Mourinho beat Juventus. There was a chance we could have gotten the win over PSG under him. There’s ZERO chance now. Solskjaer is a laughable choice and the rival fans must be laughing their bollocks off
Oh feck off.
Insightful. I bet you were all for the appointment of Moyesy aswell. Excuse me for realistic and not being blindly optimistic.

:lol: State of this. You just made a thread about wanting Roy fecking Keane as the new manager after seeing him do a pundit stint on tv and you have the nerve to call others clueless.
Keane at least LOOKS the part and has a charisma and confidence about him. Solskjaer will be like a deer in the headlights as United manager. He looked out of his depth at CARDIFF ffs. But he scored that one goal so I suppose it’s okay if he has us sitting in 15th by the end of the season... I mean he’s only interim right? Then we can give about 50m for a guy who’s never won a trophy in his life. That’s the plan, right?

Yeah I can really see this ending well.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I am very glad that Mike Phelan will be returning to his assistant manager role. Bringing some valuable PL and CL winning experience. He also knows United inside out. Excellent decision.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think this is potentially a really bad appointment.

Ole has already failed in the PL. And Mike Phelan...?

This is really just more cronyism, and after the last time - Moyes - I'm very wary of that way of doing things.

We're in the CL last 16 with a squad that contains Martial, Pogba, Sanchez, de Gea, Rashford, Mata - an experienced CL manager could really have a go there.

Again, with Top 4, an experienced top level manager could give it a go with our fixtures.

This is a managerial pressure cooker, no matter what anyone says. And Ole is coming from Molde, and expected to command the respect of that broken dressing room...

I dunno. I'm really glad the club is moving forward - but yeah, I'm not onboard with this, at all.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why not Bruce or Hughes, he’ll even Gary NevilleOk not fashionable but far more experience than Ole? Hell even Gary N would surely have jumped at the chance?
Hughes has a long record of failure at managerial level. Bruce is a fairly comparable shout but presumably is a bit old school. Gary Neville is a pundit. He has no managerial experience at all, except in his disastrous stint at Valencia.

OGS is a young coach, with plenty to prove, and with two league titles under his belt. He has presumably shown enough to the likes of Sir Alex to be seen as a viable caretaker option. It’s a brave appointment by the club, who have presumably written the season off, and have both eyes on the summer reboot. Where, if the club want Poch, they’ll buy out his contract and take him.

If the club go all in for Poch in the summer, they will get him. Which is obviously bad for Spurs, but a reality of the food chain. Personally I’d rather go after Favre, and be a bit original. I think it’ll be hard for Poch to recreate his overachieving Spurs rendition at United.