Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

beedoubleyou

Keane is not someone who you'd trust to take control of the dressing room and has show it many times. Neville seems to be given up on management after that experience.

Solskjaer has managed Molde. Barca had a structure in place build by Cruyff, Real spend a lot of money in a two horse race at the time. Far from similar circumstances.

We can lose CL for another year if we don't make 4th(which is a long shot anyways).
I'm not sure there's even a cohesive enough argument to respond to there.

rooneyberbatov

I don’t agree with the gallery point. Not a single person in this forum would have imagined Ole as manager of Manchester United, interim or not 48 hours ago.
It's a decision based on nostalgia that gets a strong approval of our fans and it may bring some excitement back to the stadium. After having miserable Mourinho for 3 years, this decision generates good publicity and is a nod to longtime fans. Also, not many will dare to criticize Ole in any way.

Skåre Willoch

It feels like Liverpool post 1991 when they were desperately trying to hold onto the romance of the “boot room” era bringing back Souness. We need to forget about the 90’s and 00’s football has moved on, yet our “plan” is to hark back to the good old days to try to move forwards, it’s shite
Oh come on. He's here for 6 months. You're delusional if you think we can get any big name or great manager until summer. It's what happens after May that counts right now. Until then, make the players smile again.

Kapardin

I hope ole can be ruthless and clears out the dross we've had.

Enough with given clean slate bullshit. Players like valencia young jones and smailing aren't kids. They're 1 year away from their testimonial yet here we are still thinking they'd become good.
He is not going to do any clear-outs. That will be the business of the permanent manager. He will be here to ensure he can get the best possible results for the current season, no more no less is his job.

That being said, I would be happy if he ostracized Valencia, Jones and Lingard from the XI and subs. We don't need any of them. McTominay should go on loan ASAP, I reckon a Championship club would take him and eventually buy him in a year or two. Young should be shipped out, but currently we have no back-up for Shaw at LB and so he still needs to play a role for now; we cannot completely drop him.

As for Smalling, he is a good squad player and can stay for 1 more year till Bailly and Lindelof develop, and if we buy a world class CB.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'll back the appointment - of course, as we all will...because OGS is a fecking Legend :devil: but also, because it's a temporary appointment, with seemingly a longer term plan in the works in the background.

This season seemed a write off with Mourinho in charge anyway. At least now there's excitement.

Just out of curiosity though - seems a nostalgic appointment, more than anything else, but I guess there weren't any top class managers around who would take this midway through the season anyway, and any permanent appointment at this stage might just have led to another shambolic appointment. Even though some might have thought top 4, or the season isn't over yet....I think that is rather more wishful thinking anyway!

The Carrick/McKenna combo probably does not have enough managerial experience between them or they might not have the dressing room onside - depending on how their allegiance to Mourinho was deemed. (just clutching here!)

Hopefully we make a good run of the FA Cup. OGS! :drool:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He is not going to do any clear-outs. That will be the business of the permanent manager. He will be here to ensure he can get the best possible results for the current season, no more no less is his job.

That being said, I would be happy if he ostracized Valencia, Jones and Lingard from the XI and subs. We don't need any of them. McTominay should go on loan ASAP, I reckon a Championship club would take him and eventually buy him in a year or two. Young should be shipped out, but currently we have no back-up for Shaw at LB and so he still needs to play a role for now; we cannot completely drop him.

As for Smalling, he is a good squad player and can stay for 1 more year till Bailly and Lindelof develop, and if we buy a world class CB.
"He is in't going to do any clear outs. Here are a list of players he should clear out."

Enigma_87

You know who
He's here to stay and just signed a new contract amidst Jose getting fired. The board rates him, apparently.

Eric's Seagull

If he can take what he learned from his playing career and the education he was given by Sir Alex I think he might have a shot. People used to call him a Super Sub but I personally don't like that term. I think that he was such a good reader of the game that he meticulously studied it from the sidelines and he knew which position he needed to be in and what he needed to do to score when he got there. I think this football intelligence should help him massively for the rest of his career.

Good luck Ole.

Judas

Open to offers
It feels like Liverpool post 1991 when they were desperately trying to hold onto the romance of the “boot room” era bringing back Souness. We need to forget about the 90’s and 00’s football has moved on, yet our “plan” is to hark back to the good old days to try to move forwards, it’s shite
I totally agree, yet people on here are eating it up which is funny. Thankfully it's only temporary. I'm probably being a bit of a misery guts about it all, I just hope things are a bit more fun now and things aren't a total disaster? They probably won't be, we can't be worse than we already have been this season.

AlwaysRed66

I do have concerns about this appointment, although temporary. His experience at Cardiff & managerial career in Norway hardly enthuse me with confidence he can deal with the pressures here, although temporary. Another issue is what happens if the clubs main target, whether it is Poch, Zidane or someone else, is suddenly available far sooner than the end of the year. Perhaps in Jan/Feb. Does that mean we are stuck with Solskaer to the end of the season as he has signed a contract. That really would be ridiculous.

Skubah

I think this is a good appointment actually. Probably because that Liverpool game put the final nail in the coffin for this season for me.

Too much going on at home in my personal life to deal with all of this nonsense and the terrible performances we were subjected too.

I was a firm believer in Mourinho until the start of this season and with all the Drama surrounding the incompetence of the board and manager and their disagreements in transfers i had already written off this season in the back of my head. I'm glad hes gone now and hopefully things will change for the better for next season. My money would be on either Poch or Zidane for our next manager - both of which I would be happy with.

I wonder how Ole will do though? Will be good to see what he does with this squad!

Kapardin

"He is in't going to do any clear outs. Here are a list of players he should clear out."
Freezing them out isn't selling them is it? Selling is what I meant by "clear-out".

Keep them from playing and they will want out in the summer, good for us.

Speedicut75

Like most I love Ole, but remember what happened in his stint at Cardiff. Can't say I'm overly encourage by the prospect of him managing us, but I'm not the best at making predictions in this dept as i was a major cheerleader for both the execrable LVG & poisonous, Jose. Maybe he's just the tonic the club needs given that there never has been, and never will be, a more likable man in the world of football.

Judas

Open to offers
Phelan's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming. Genuinely more excited for him being back than Ole, it's absolutely hilarious, and he's probably like a pig in shit right now, can't believe his luck :lol:

Ranchero

Getting quite emotional seeing the footage of him when he was Cardiff manager ... and the reception he got from United fans. All power to him. I hope it all goes well.

steakpie

He has nothing to lose so hopefully he will go all out attack

Last edited by a moderator:

Skills

Snitch
One of the ex-directors was on the radio and thought Cantona would've been a better appointment. He felt the Ole appointment was a bit 'boring' and that Cantona would've brought much more of a feel good factor with him.

Whilst I agree, he'd also be a much more risky appointment and things could go wrong very quickly. We need a period of stability and Ole may be able to provide that.
That's just purely disrespectful to Ole.

Cantona has never managed or ever expressed any interest in seriously following a career in management. Ole has been coaching for the last 10 years (including years he spent as a reserve team coach). There's clearly more to him than just a feel good factor.

Asian Sensation

I think it is a great appointment for the club, we have lost our identity since Sir Alex left and having Ole and Phelan who know what is expected at Manchester United will definitely help steady the ship until the DOF/Next manager are appointed . He may get out played at times but the dressing room morale will be on a high and hopefully enjoying their football again which will benefit the next manager.

Reactions: Penna