Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Paul778

When we hear ole speak? Press conf?

As an aside does Scholes have badges? Id love to see him brought in as a temporary coach getting the team used to make fast incisive forward passes. That said after what hes been saying on BT sport I'm sure some of the players would roast him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A big gamble. Should have gone all out and got a permanent manager.
There's no point getting a third-choice permanent manager, when your first choice would be gettable in the summer. This season is a right off bar the cups and Europa League qualification.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Passing the ball aimlessly side to side is not good football. How shit LVG's football was was one of the reasons he went.
No, in his first season he had a spell when we were actually playing some decent stuff. Against top teams too. We even went to Anfield and dominated. United hardly do that. Even under SAF.

The second season was death by a 1000 passes and you will hear no arguments from me about that one.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I am in an odd frame of mind about this- part of me is saying free hit. just go for it, play with freedom, the other half actually makes me worried we will be in a relegation dog fight come May.
I think you have to actively have a negative influence on United to finish lower than 6th. And as long as you don't play an outfield player in goal etc. you're safe from relegation. :)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yep. I dont think its just sentimental. Two talented coaches here that fans will rally behind. Players have to put up or shut up now. Allows time to get next aoo right and also trial runs a more experimental appointment.

I love ole. Ill say it again
Absolutely, mate. Maybe it will take a few games before we see some change on players though.

Oneunited26

Fellaini has proven that he can play in a team that plays good football. Did with Van Gaal for a while. The problem is that desperate managers resort to using him as a route one.
No too slow, and I argue we got better players in that position. We got to be ruthless, and under VG we played 3 good games of football, after city win we saw nothing afterwards. For me we will never look to be a force again if we continue to with Valencia, young, Jones, rojo, darmian, matic, fellaini and lukaku around, the very latter we may have to work on

I have a feeling you and others are going to be disappointed & many of these Mourinho stalwarts, in particular Matic, will still be in the side.
If ole even starts both together along with young who cost us goals against Liverpool again, then we will continue to drop points. The next manager must esp drop matic fellaini and young all together, those three represent the very bad of Jose Mourinho’s time here and none of them are needed here

Bojan11

No reason to write anything off, top 4 to play for, FA cup and CL still up for grabs.
Seriously top four?

So you expecting Chelsea to lose 3 times and get two draws. Whilst Arsenal in the process need to slip up too. We need to win every game nearly and catch up on goal difference too. Isn’t happening under the best manager so be realistic on what we got to play for. Top four is gone.

NinjaFletch

No, in his first season he had a spell when we were actually playing some decent stuff. Against top teams too. We even went to Anfield and dominated. United hardly do that. Even under SAF.

The second season was death by a 1000 passes and you will hear no arguments from me about that one.
That spell was about 6 games though!

Smores

I think Phelan coming back might just be the bigger benefit here. Has he actually been working with Ole then or is this just Woody pulling in experience?

SER19

Absolutely, mate. Maybe it will take a few games before we see some change on players though.
Ya unrealistic to expect a big change in 2 days. Some smiles and 3 points would be good followed by an old trafford double header over xmas.

shr89

Happy with all 4 appointments as an interim. However i hope club puts a lot of thought into the permanent appointment and not bring sentiment into it. We must respect our traditions but it is about time we act like a modern club and look for a manager and coaching staff who have proven tactical nous and are renowned for playing highly technical , pressing front foot football

RedorDead21

Love the guy but he should be no where near the role. Finding positives for the decision kinda shows the desperation for any kind of change right now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't know about "unite the players" stuff, but the fans are for sure.
I am certain the dressing room is in pieces with all the divide and conquer nonsense Jose was pulling. If fans are dead against certain players imagine the dressing room

lance Jacob

Its great to have Ole back my favorite United player. I hope that we go back to attacking football the way Manchester united should always play

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
No too slow, and I argue we got better players in that position. We got to be ruthless, and under VG we played 3 good games of football, after city win we saw nothing afterwards. For me we will never look to be a force again if we continue to with Valencia, young, Jones, rojo, darmian, matic, fellaini and lukaku around, the very latter we may have to work on
I actually agree about most of the players on your list.

But Fellaini I would keep. Lukaku too probably, but I would at bringing another striker too.

Rojo and Darmian I would get rid without a second thought.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Fellaini has proven that he can play in a team that plays good football. Did with Van Gaal for a while. The problem is that desperate managers resort to using him as a route one.
Yeah, the system van Gaal played in the City game, with Fellaini, Young and Blind on the left, and Mata, Herrera and Rooney on the right was very effective, then he inexplicably abandoned it almost immediately afterwards.

ants7

Great to see him and Mickey Shorts back with the club. I'll keep my judgement of this appointment to myself until I have seen how it'll roll out on the pitch.

Legend16

I think Phelan coming back might just be the bigger benefit here. Has he actually been working with Ole then or is this just Woody pulling in experience?
this has Fergies hand all over it. I think the great man was asked for his advice on how to fix it and the Ole/Phelan one was his idea

Smores

Seriously top four?

So you expecting Chelsea to lose 3 times and get two draws. Whilst Arsenal in the process need to slip up too. We need to win every game nearly and catch up on goal difference too. Isn’t happening under the best manager so be realistic on what we got to play for. Top four is gone.
You don't think Chelsea will lose at least 3 games?

Arsenal are shite we'll definitely end up above them

tonnas

Love the guy but he should be no where near the role. Finding positives for the decision kinda shows the desperation for any kind of change right now.
who did you expect as an interim manager? the proper manager will come next summer

Neal Johnson

And Mike Phelan too, dear god, I can’t quite get my head around this, it’s a circus. We might as well see if David May is available as we need a centre back.

Nicky Butt for me, he must feel deflated

Bojan11

You don't think Chelsea will lose at least 3 games?

Arsenal are shite we'll definitely end up above them
It’s 3 games and two draws. Then the 20 plus goal difference we need to catch up. It ain’t happening. We need to win like 16/17 out of 21 games. It’s a unrealistic aim now.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Absolutely buzzing for this. Seeing OGS on the United touchline even if just for 6 months is gonna be great. Just hope he can get a tune out of these jokers on Saturday.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Proper mixed feelings. It's great to see him back at the club and at least until Cardiff i thought he was going to be a top manager, but i worry if the players will respect him enough. He's not done a huge amount in management and most of the players are too young/foreign to really know what he means to the club.

One thing is for sure, he will have the fans behind him. I can see Ferguson getting more involved too with him and Phelan back in the club.
If they cannot respect someone with his goal scoring record for United and the man who won us the CL, they can f*ck off.

DRM

Not sure what to make of this. I love Ole, club legend for me. Taking emotion out of this and thinking logically, would any top team in Europe, or for that matter any team in the PL go for Ole as their manager? I don't think many would. I just hope he can be somewhat of a success here during his short time.

Meanwhile I'm glad the club is taking the time to properly recruit the next manager as well as laying down the structure and foundations around him, looks like we'll be getting mitchell in as doF. Finally some strategic planning rather than jumping the gun.

OneReligion

My thoughts exactly mate. Love the guy, which united fan wouldn't, but his managerial experience is pretty poor, and nostalgia isn't going to make us play great football and win us games. I feel like people are getting a little swept up in all this.

fergieisold

And Mike Phelan too, dear god, I can’t quite get my head around this, it’s a circus. We might as well see if David May is available as we need a centre back.

Nicky Butt for me, he must feel deflated
:houllier: So Ole who has experience and has done well at a decent level in Norway, Phelan under the SAF era is a circus....but Nicky Butt, he's the answer? Jesus wept!

dogwithabone

Just the thought of having some warm personalities around the place makes you feel happier.

I imagine the players will be very happy with this.

Oneunited26

I actually agree about most of the players on your list.

But Fellaini I would keep. Lukaku too probably, but I would at bringing another striker too.

Rojo and Darmian I would get rid without a second thought.
I would get rid of them all, build the side around Fred, pogba, Herrera, perrera and mata, it makes matic and fellaini pointless. We need energy and creativity back in this team slash midfield, let’s build the side around pogba, Fred and martial, and get rid of led boot donkeys matic and fellaini who every time they played in a midfield 2, we must have dropped so many points. It’s vital we get away from this very slow pairing, and get movement and creativity back in this team, because we couldn’t press because we had matic and fellaini in a midfield 2, lukaku who’s movement and inability to run the channels and hold the ball, and our defence could not pass from the back, so our spine was screwed because of the personal playing, our wingers were starved of anything. The modern game passes matic, fellaini and young by, we have got players better than these 3, Fred, pogba and delot alone

Smores

It’s 3 games and two draws. Then the 20 plus goal difference we need to catch up. It ain’t happening. We need to win like 16/17 out of 21 games. It’s a unrealistic aim now.
11pts is not an insurmountable gap at this point in the season. It's very defeatist attitude to give up on 4th I'm dissapointed so many have.

Chelsea are not that good and we should be improving our form relative to them. We'll win the next 7 games then it'll be crunch time