Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Nuts

Ok So, let's see:

Ole has been doing better than Poch since Dec.

Ole has been getting the best out of the squad.

Ole has had a lot of experience - even the bad ones - which should help him develop more.

Poch would not be happy not being backed and staying in top 4 for long at a club like United. In fact there is more chance that Ole would even be better at that kind of role as he has a connection with United.

So, again, what you wanted to say is?
Wait and see how Ole does long term. MP has experience of getting results from an under invested squad over the long term.

You can’t shortcut that kind of experience, and you can’t judge if Ole can do it from what we’ve seen so far.

Essentially, it’s hugely promising but we should wait as long as possible so we get it right.

nycender

Absolutely astounding that some still want the coach from a shite club like Tottenham to take over from a club legend like Ole. Boggles the mind.

The United

Wait and see how Ole does long term. MP has experience of getting results from an under invested squad over the long term.

You can’t shortcut that kind of experience, and you can’t judge if Ole can do it from what we’ve seen so far.

Essentially, it’s hugely promising but we should wait as long as possible so we get it right.
I agree.

But, we still have to fair to Ole with what we have been doing so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pochettino will always be there In the future.
Oles time is now. We’d be absolutely foolish not to stick with OUR man.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With the players at disposal and the timing he came in, I doubt any manager in the world could have done equally (much less, better) as Ole has done so far.

Anders Agnalt

So we cannot judge what Ole has done with the players at hand? Do you think anyone else would have done better?

If we he shoulden't be judged by the amazing result he has created with a squad that got stamped as shite then I really don't think you'll ever give him a fair evaluation!

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
What we know about the Liverpool game is that Klopp has no plan B - they'll come at us at OT with a high frantic press, and quick transitions with the front three moving and linking up fluidly. VVD and co push the backline up high to close up the space their full backs and midfielders leave behind when they attack, and they all collectively drop a bit deeper to press opposition players to compress space and win the ball back. They'll go completely committed into every 50-50, and they'll go down easily in the final third.

They can be had on a counter attack, but our midfield needs to resist their press by moving the ball forward quickly - good movement is imperative, flanks who change positions to draw out VVD would be brilliant. Having Mata in the hole can be really helpful, because Pogba will be marked and we need another press-resistant creative outlet. Herrera and Matic need to be on top of their passing game, too. In defence, I hope we track their movement well, and be prepared for their midfield runners looking for cutbacks.

I look forward to seeing what Ole will have to offer. Would fecking love it if he managed a result against this lot.

PowerupMushroom

I'm not gonna say hiring him is a no-brainer (all though it is). But I can't for the life of me understand people who thinks the PSG game showed a chink in the armour of OGS. The same people who were willing to give Mourinho 'one more summer' having problems with giving Solskjær one more? No excuses for the interim when we look beatable against one of the dark horses for the CL this year.

If this wasn't Mourinho's team 1 year ago, how is it Solskjær's, with no incoming signings? We will once again be a force when he fills out the team with a couple of signings this summer, no other manager in the football world is expected to win every game without 'his players'.

Kamprad

Ok I’ve made up my mind. Keep him. Still think they should wait until end of season to decide though. You never know.

dave1956

I have watched/supported Utd., since 1956, high light years, lean years, relegation, and then the Sir Alex, followed by less than successful years up to the present time. Over this long period of time there are only two managers who I have sensed have fully understood since Sir Matt., the ethos of the club and the legacy he left to be carried on by the future managers of the club regardless of who the owners are. The two are Sir Alex and the present temp., manager OGS. Being the manager of Utd., is not only about managing the first team but continuing those standards set by Sir Matt, from the tea lady, scouting system, youth team and the layers of coaching and support staff. It is also about media presentation not only of the club but about the manager himself and his conduct when addressing the media. Ole in my opinion represents all the requirements of a Utd., manager.
Since Sir Alex we have appointed 3 managers whose CVs., were such that one would expect a high degree of competence and success, unfortunately for what ever reason none could meet the history or expectations of the club.
We now have a temp., manager who symbolises every aspect of the club, he has players ( if recent results show ) willing to run through brick walls for him, his conduct and approach to the media is excellent always up beat.
Not only are the results so far above what many on this forum expected under our previous manager but under Ole himself.
Could Poch., or any other manager achieved the results over a short period of time he has, could they continue the legacy of the club, I think not. Ole with the present coaching staff is in my opinion the only option which will bring future success to the club.

J_XO

Beaten Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea away. Add Liverpool to the hit list this weekend and the job is his.

Sereques

What a load of shite. Poch started coaching in 2009 while Ole started with United reserves in 2008. Where do you think Ole has been all this time, Madrid? :rolleyes:

Ole won a trophy at every side he managed except Cardiff, Poch has never won a trophy in his life.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I have watched/supported Utd., since 1956, high light years, lean years, relegation, and then the Sir Alex, followed by less than successful years up to the present time. Over this long period of time there are only two managers who I have sensed have fully understood since Sir Matt., the ethos of the club and the legacy he left to be carried on by the future managers of the club regardless of who the owners are. The two are Sir Alex and the present temp., manager OGS. Being the manager of Utd., is not only about managing the first team but continuing those standards set by Sir Matt, from the tea lady, scouting system, youth team and the layers of coaching and support staff. It is also about media presentation not only of the club but about the manager himself and his conduct when addressing the media. Ole in my opinion represents all the requirements of a Utd., manager.
Since Sir Alex we have appointed 3 managers whose CVs., were such that one would expect a high degree of competence and success, unfortunately for what ever reason none could meet the history or expectations of the club.
We now have a temp., manager who symbolises every aspect of the club, he has players ( if recent results show ) willing to run through brick walls for him, his conduct and approach to the media is excellent always up beat.
Not only are the results so far above what many on this forum expected under our previous manager but under Ole himself.
Could Poch., or any other manager achieved the results over a short period of time he has, could they continue the legacy of the club, I think not. Ole with the present coaching staff is in my opinion the only option which will bring future success to the club.
I said elsewhere.
Sir Matt
Sir Alex....and now
Ole.

We only had to wait 5 years this time.

the Legacy continues.

I'm certain he has already been appointed. But it will rightly be announced end of the season so there is no distraction.
Watching the match, every player has not just improved but by leaps and bounds.
He will add 3 or 4 players in the summer. I'm sure he has already identified them.
I honestly believe we will be in good shape to win the title next season.

criticalanalysis

On the one hand I have absolutely no complaints about giving him the job but the extremely critical side of me thinks I would like to see more control. Pogba even said it himself in the post game interview.

It was a good win but we should have had more possession and imposed ourselves more against a really bad Chelsea.

It was tactically a good move but I don't think happily conceding possession and defending behind the ball is progressive for the long term. That's not on Ole but now until the end of the season I hope to see more proactive control via pressing and possession after being pressed i.e we still hoof too much from the back. I get he wants to keep it simple and reinvigorate the players with a more straight forward all out attack philosophy but I think the players can take more on. Ultimately it will be for the better of their game and make their roles easier.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
On the one hand I have absolutely no complaints about giving him the job but the extremely critical side of me thinks I would like to see more control. Pogba even said it himself in the post game interview.

It was a good win but we should have had more possession and imposed ourselves more against a really bad Chelsea.

It was tactically a good move but I don't think happily conceding possession and defending behind the ball is progressive for the long term. That's not on Ole but now until the end of the season I hope to see more proactive control via pressing and possession after being pressed i.e we still hoof too much from the back. I get he wants to keep it simple and reinvigorate the players with a more straight forward all out attack philosophy but I think the players can take more on. Ultimately it will be for the better of their game and make their roles easier.
One step at a time. This performance from us was reminiscent of a Mourinho Chelsea side. We had the heart, the guts, a bit of edge and cynical play. This is the way Chelsea almost always wins against us, and today we did it to them. It was the most satisfying part of it for me if I'm being honest. Tactics, possession, control is all fine and needed but against a team like Chelsea who are on the low you just need to bully them and we did. I've really missed that focused winning attitude. Under Van Gaal and Mourinho we have mostly been "classy, professional and calm" worried about our tactic of possession, not losing our cool, killing games etc.. to the point we more often than not ended up missing that battle-attitude that sometimes you have to bring out to get a win. We have been missing that, but we saw that today.

I think I agree with your points though after reading through them again. But the sentiment of it not being beneficial long-term I disagree with, because no matter who these players are we have starting, they should find a way to win. That is the main philosophy and it is up to the manager to carry that out, and boy did he do it this game. 0-2 and I was still worried, but you know what, it was exactly like that under SAF too. Despite defending deep, very well too, we always waited for our time to pressure them back in patches and it worked.

Matic a bit slow, Mata a bit slow, Pogba being Pogba, Herrera being allover. I don't think keeping the ball would have been the way to controlling a game against a desperate team low on confidence. Show them no space when they have the ball and if they lose it, press and make them afraid of conceding, making them even more cautious going forward next time. Loved that approach.

Canagel

He shall deliver us the title next season. You heard it here first.

The real "chosen one".

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
He shall deliver us the title next season. You heard it here first.

The real "chosen one".
indeed mate.
Have seen a lot of Manchester United teams in my life.
Ole is building an all conquering team. Still some pieces of the puzzle to complete.
But he will get there...sooner rather than later.
He has a heck of a staff working with him too.

Everything looks in place for the next step.

Rozski

At this point if he doesnt get the job on a permanent basis, serious questions need to be asked about the people running the club and what their expectations actually are. We are in the form of our lives, and yes we may have lost to PSG but at this point in time I think whoever we had as manager would have struggled against them. I feel like we cant keep changing the goalposts every time he gets a good result, or put an asterix next to the result (Spurs werent at full strength so it doesnt count, Arsenal are being Arsenal, Chelsea are in meltdown etc) to try and disqualify his achievements.

We have tried the 'up and coming manager who works on a shoestring budget and needs a big job to prove himself'

We have tried the experienced manager who has reached a World Cup final with a poor side whose tactical knowledge got them that far

We have tried the short term option who always achieves wherever he goes and guarantees success.

None of them worked.

Now we have a United Legend, who loves the club, the players love him, the fans love him, and he is getting results that 3 months ago we would never have even dreamed of achieving. And instead of saying 'thats our guy', we are still dithering, just in case the latest shiny new manager is available.

Theres a saying that I heard about United years ago, and its one of the reasons I love the club. 'We dont buy superstars, we make them'.
You nailed it. This really sums it up for me. If they don’t give him the job then I don’t understand their criteria. At this point I have to assume he’s got it won and they are just waiting to avoid unnecessary distractions.

And from the board’s perspective he comes with so many bonuses that they wouldn’t get from anyone else as far as fan support of a legend and marketing and all that sort of off field stuff that would matter to them.

And thanks for sharing @dave1956. I think most of us have felt that way but it’s good to hear it from someone who has been around for a lot longer and seen it all.

hocane

I just feel like OGS as a permanent manager seem too romantic.

Imagine if it didn't work out in the end? I don't want to ever find my self in a situation where i say Ole out.

CA_vampire

I am sure that the owners have already decided to keep Ole on a permanent basis. They'd be fools to do otherwise. We have lost only 1 game in 13, and that was against a squad which is much better than ours.

Also, imagine that a new manager comes in the summer. Will he be able to get 11 wins in 13 games next fall? Probably not. And what will happen then? Everyone will complain that we should had hired Ole. So, it seems obvious at this point that hiring Ole is the only reasonable move for the owners.

Listar

How did Ole made us so strong. It can't be just telling the team "go out and attack" can it?

In all honesty, wasn't happy with performance against Leicester, spurs and a couple league games I can't remember but overall am happy with the progress, including against PSG. Today, I am very happy with the performance tactics result everything. Leaps and bounds we have come. I am speechless.

Sereques

The way people talk in here, you do think Ole's alternative will never lose a game. So what we lost to PSG, who gives a feck?

Bojan11

Wanna see improvements at home. Away from home we been brilliant.

But the team needs to improve at home. A start this weekend would be welcome.

Listar

The way people talk in here, you do think Ole's alternative will never lose a game. So what we lost to PSG, who gives a feck?
Anyone that have issues with the game against PSG is result orientated. I am more unhappy how we played against Leiceter than PSG. Its just PSG was a better opponent than Leicester. I don't mind picking up losses against PSG if that means we get to see good football and winning most our matches.

ash_86

Wanna see improvements at home. Away from home we been brilliant.

But the team needs to improve at home. A start this weekend would be welcome.
Yes. Away from home we play well because we counter attack. At home we need to break up teams which is a whole different thing.

Tony247

Want to specially talk about Herrera. His revival under Ole is phenomenal. Never thought he can be this good for the team really.

Herrera also sounds quite intelligent and reads the game and tactics brilliantly. We need to ensure he retires here and then smoothly transition him into one of the management roles.

yo@Kirk

If management gives Ole a great ball playing CB (de Ligt), a great play making right sided attacker (Sancho), a quality box to box CM (Rabiot), and Herrera gets a new contract so he can be the ball winning DM, Ole will have Man Utd competing for EPL and CL trophies. Players respond to his tactics, methods, and leadership. Players on other teams will see this and will want to play for Ole, not just for the wages UTD pay. UTD have found their successor to Sir Alex.

Pughnichi

Just me, or did OGS go to Chelsea bench for a quick word in CHOs ear. Literally a sentence then walked away

Redfan94

This could well have been mentioned in here before, but, does anyone think that the biggest contributing factor to our form since Ole arrived is actually the work being done by Phelan?

Maybe it’s just me overlooking Ole but there’s more to our performances recently than the players just being happy, some of the games have been tactically spot on and I can’t see him being capable of that so early only in his managerial career personally.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This could well have been mentioned in here before, but, does anyone think that the biggest contributing factor to our form since Ole arrived is actually the work being done by Phelan?

Maybe it’s just me overlooking Ole but there’s more to our performances recently than the players just being happy, some of the games have been tactically spot on and I can’t see him being capable of that so early only in his managerial career personally.
No reason to not give Phelan some credit, and the whole staff really. But I don't understand the reasoning here. Why not? Has he not been managing a while now?

DBT85

As above, while Phelan deserves some credit, Ole isn't new to management. He was managing our reserves literally a decade ago.

I was fecking terrified when he didn't take Matic off, he was gambling and it paid off. I guess that's also a good sign.
I did wonder when he deffo should have got that second yellow. Like, does ole show him he trusts him not to feck it up (to be fair, he didn't) or does he have little confidence in depth to replace him.

Can honestly see it both ways.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Obviously we have to give credit to Solskjaer's coaching staff, every one of them. Solskjaer said McKenna and Carrick does the analysis part, so I'm also assuming all 3 (KM, Carrick and Phelan) are involved a lot in training.

SAF assembled good coaching staff, all undone by fecking Moyes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was fecking terrified when he didn't take Matic off, he was gambling and it paid off. I guess that's also a good sign.
Yeah, I wanted him to be subbed out after the foul. It was a risky move, other side of the argument is, he really trusts Matic.