Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

AJ10

I don't see Poch as a guarantee, but I see him for what he is and what he has done in the PL. I think he has met or exceeded the expectations put in front of him at both stops so far in the Premier League, so I hesitate to think that if the expectations were for him to win trophies here,and they would be, that he wouldn't achieve it.

At Southampton he took them to their highest points total and finish in year 1. He has made Spurs into a team (not club) that has been consistently better than Manchester United during his reign. That alone is astonishing, but of course you can account for our own ineptitude. At the same time, he has more than proven that he can develop the hell out of young players, consistently win with "cheap" players, and do it all while playing a proactive brand of football. Most of the time, teams with lower budgets will resort to low-block defending and counter attacks, but he's built a team that can play with just about anyone in Europe on their day. Combining his proven track record of developing players, his style of play AND a significantly bigger budget seems a no-brainer.

That being said, I get why Ole is going to get the job. But among the footballing reasons, I imagine, is also a fear of supporter/media backlash if he was not to get the job at this point. And that to me makes the entire situation feel too reactive - which has been our issue since Fergie. If their intention was to get Poch all along, and now they're forced to go with Ole (their own doing) then I can just see a weird dynamic developing between Ole and the ownership.
There's no doubt he's done a good job with spurs and replaced Us/Arsenal in the top 4 we have been shit for few years and arsenal are arsenal, ofcourse he still had to get them into top 4 so credit where its due but you seem to be making spurs players out to be some mediocre players who couldn't play football, Poch's best signings have been toby/alli and son (unless mistaken) and they had Walker/rose/Vertonghen/kane/lamela/erikson/lloris (from top of my head) when he arrived those aren't bad players to have in your team and most would have gone straight into top 4 teams.

Our previous managers also had bigger budget to work with who were known to be winners ( they were no brainers as well) but they failed and as for poch winning trophy's here im sure he would have but based on how spurs have performed every time they're close to having a chance to win or even get close, they've failed. Surely that has to be down to the manager since they play really well when there is absolutely no pressure to win anything but as soon as there is even a talk of spurs having a chance they crumble, no saying he won't win trophies in the future but at the moment there seems to be a pattern with him and is not a certainty that he would win a trophy with us (not saying he won't).

The bold part is based on the manager's style rather than him having better players (Eddie Howe/David Moyes for example) IMO and he hasn't build a team per say but added few good players along with the good players he already had, ofcourse he's developed them and got them playing good football for that he deserves credit. I can agree with you that he would have improved us but its not a no brainer as you seem to think.

JohnnyKills

Wow!

Three-year contract seems fair. I'd have gone shorter but can't really argue with that.

Now let's get him a better song...

JohnnyKills

2+1 made more sense.
Yeah but I can't imagine he's on the same money Mourinho was on. If it doesn't work out, it'll be a much cheaper process for the club, and OGS is such a good human that he'll probably walk away anyway. He doesn't seem like the money-loving type.

Anyway, let's hope it works out. The players certainly love him, which is 70% of the battle. He might not have the clout of other managers in the transfer market but we need to get away from signing big names anyway, so that's not much of an issue. If he can find the new Solskjaer in the summer we'll all be happy :D.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
RIP Poch fanboys.

Ole deserves it, done a top job so far.

laughtersassassin

Another win, Get In! ALbeit a shit performance.

Needs serious backing this summer. 4 starters assuming Pogba and Herrera don't leave.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Test failed.

I think people on here want to think that Ole is a better manager than he actually is.
I think Nuno has a team hes been working with for a while and is comfortable with. Not saying he isnt better but Ole clearly is not comforable with some of the squad options.

Our midfield and front 3 were mainly second string

soaphroniscuss

I think Nuno has a team hes been working with for a while and is comfortable with. Not saying he isnt better but Ole clearly is not comforable with some of the squad options.

Our midfield and front 3 were mainly second string
He bought Neves, Jota etc in the last 2 years. Neves just last year in fact IIRC.

I think people on here want to think that Ole is a better manager than he actually is.

It was a mistake to give Ole the job before the season was out.

Trizy

I thought we were very good. Not gonna expect miracles from the squad though because it's just screaming for quality and upgrades.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He bought Neves, Jota etc in the last 2 years. Neves just last year in fact IIRC.

So 2 years more than Ole has been working with this squad, a group of players where he has bought zero of them...
Again I wasn't calling Ole better, I was saying he needs to be given time to show what he can do now he has the job before he is judged.

I agree with the last line, no idea why we did that.

soaphroniscuss

I thought we were very good. Not gonna expect miracles from the squad though because it's just screaming for quality and upgrades.
Our last comfortable win was against Crystal Palace and we probably should have lost away to PSG and lost or drawn at home against Southampton.

In short we could very easily be looking at 6 losses out of the last 7 and should probably be looking at 5 losses from 7.

We have Barcelona, City, Chelsea and Everton in 4 of our next 5 fixtures.

https://i.imgur.com/aDIJyUq.png

Trizy

Our last comfortable win was against Crystal Palace and we probably should have lost away to PSG and lost or drawn at home against Southampton.

In short we could very easily be looking at 6 losses out of the last 7 and should probably be looking at 5 losses from 7.

We have Barcelona, City, Chelsea and Everton in 4 of our next 5 fixtures.

https://i.imgur.com/aDIJyUq.png
Funnily enough we could have won those 2 games vs Wolves and Arsenal had we been able finish up front.

Tibs

Bit of a poor patch right now...need a couple of wins on the trot to get back on it,

Easier said than done

Grande

If your point is we should evaluate Solskjær in a balanced way in stead of a fan way, I’m not sure I agree. As we don’t know much about what goes on behind the scenes, I think we should give our players, managers and even ceo’s the benefit of much doubt, and try to be their fans. A 80-20 balance. The CEO’s rome is to coldly evaluate the managers job, and he knows (or should know) a hell of a lot more than us. Our role is to back and even worship the team. To an extent.

You don’t seem to be balancing either, though. You pick seven games where we won some we could have lost, and lost some we could have won, and you summarize them in a disingenuous way.

And you compare another teams manager with our at completely different stages in their process, to make him look better. Wolf-tinted glasses are not better than red or rosy.

soaphroniscuss

If your point is we should evaluate Solskjær in a balanced way in stead of a fan way, I’m not sure I agree. As we don’t know much about what goes on behind the scenes, I think we should give our players, managers and even ceo’s the benefit of much doubt, and try to be their fans. A 80-20 balance. The CEO’s rome is to coldly evaluate the managers job, and he knows (or should know) a hell of a lot more than us. Our role is to back and even worship the team. To an extent.

You don’t seem to be balancing either, though. You pick seven games where we won some we could have lost, and lost some we could have won, and you summarize them in a disingenuous way.

And you compare another teams manager with our at completely different stages in their process, to make him look better. Wolf-tinted glasses are not better than red or rosy.
You make a lot of assumptions there. My comments take more than just the last 7 games into account.

You can contort into all manner of ways to justify your (self acknowledged) a-priori decision.

They look Wolf-tinted glasses to you because of your own position. Given his longer-term track record it is entirely normal to question whether the club acted precipitously in giving Ole the job before the end of the season. Given the spread of games it would have made more sense to see how he handled this run of more difficult opponents before appointing him.

That recent run of losses might look slightly better when taken in context but that is not the way the broader world looks at it (in terms of our brand) and more importantly for us this Summer that is not the way that players we want to sign will look at it.

After SAF left I was attacked for saying that as there is no fixed established order in the Prem and because our historical success has been spotty there is a chance that we might go without winning the big prizes for an extended period. People didn't like that because of "feelings". Similarly here, feelings have somehow convinced many that Ole possesses skills that he has not demonstrated. There was no harm in waiting.

In short, we have 4 difficult games in the next five. The picture will be just that bit clearer after that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I’m firmly on Ole’s side and I trust him, but there’s quite a middle ground between losing 4 of out 5 games and winning all 5, isn’t it?
3 of the 4 were tight games away to decent sides when we have been hamstrung by injuries, the other was to Barcelona. There is a lot of delusion about how good this team actually is. These players have shown for years now under different managers that they are not up to it, but people still expect/predict them to win every game, its bizarre.

ArjenIsM3

3 of the 4 were tight games away to decent sides when we have been hamstrung by injuries, the other was to Barcelona. There is a lot of delusion about how good this team actually is. These players have shown for years now under different managers that they are not up to it, but people still expect/predict them to win every game, its bizarre.
This.

StrettyEnder07

Jesus wept are people actually on Ole's case already!!! Most fickle fans in the world our lot, if we go and beat Barca in the Nou Camp they will be back to full circle queuing up to tell everyone how on side they have always been.

No doubt these are the same fans who went insane for United giving McTominay a new contract etc.

Give the lad a chance to spend some money and a full summer/pre season to get his way of playing across.

Some of our fans, make me cringe really do

Eriku

That and if Spurs and Poch go through a rough streak, no such noises are made.

Smores

Have we started to believe the whole 2nd place being a miracle with this squad then?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Have we started to believe the whole 2nd place being a miracle with this squad then?
Miracle no. Over achievement compared to performances, definitely. Its been no surprise to me that we're not even top 4 this season. My predictions on here said so. Leicester won a league, Burnley finished 7th last season, these things happen.

71 points that we had after 32 games last season would have us 3rd, 9 points behind 2nd, great.

Smores

Miracle no. Over achievement compared to performances, definitely. Its been no surprise to me that we're not even top 4 this season. My predictions on here said so. Leicester won a league, Burnley finished 7th last season, these things happen.

71 points that we had after 32 games last season would have us 3rd, 9 points behind 2nd, great.
The way i see it is we're a top 4 squad and Jose had us underperform this season. Ole has overall taken us back to top 4 form and now we're in a bit of a slump, don't really see a need to try and pretend some of our losses haven't been poor.