Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The way i see it is we're a top 4 squad and Jose had us underperform this season. Ole has overall taken us back to top 4 form and now we're in a bit of a slump, don't really see a need to try and pretend some of our losses haven't been poor.
It's a top 4 'squad' with (in my opinion) a 5th best starting XI that's the problem. Take a few of those starting players out and losses away to Wolves and Arsenal are entirely predictable results.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
No 'changed narrative' from me. I was consistent pre Solskjaer that these players weren't good enough regardless who was in charge.
Surely, there's middle ground? We beat Juve and PSG this season. We beat City and Pool last season. We're obviously not that bad. We're definitely good enough to muster one shot on target in a home last 16 CL tie.

Lentwood

Surely, there's middle ground? We beat Juve and PSG this season. We beat City and Pool last season. We're obviously not that bad. We're definitely good enough to muster one shot on target in a home last 16 CL tie.
You can't just pick out one stat and use it in isolation as 'evidence' of how good (or not) we are or where in a given game

Dalot missed a sitter of a header just before HT, doesn't count as a shot on target though does it

In general, Barcelona were poor. This was in part because McTominay, Smalling, Shaw and Fred were very good. We were poor going forward at times because our attack is below top-level

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Where do you draw the line picking out one off games though. Wolves have just beaten us twice, they've also beaten Liverpool and Spurs. We beat those teams but none of them were convincing wins, they are just one offs where the result was better than the performance itself.

We aren't 'that bad' we're just not that good either 5th/6th in the league is right for the quality of our first XI.

GM K

The way i see it is we're a top 4 squad and Jose had us underperform this season. Ole has overall taken us back to top 4 form and now we're in a bit of a slump, don't really see a need to try and pretend some of our losses haven't been poor.
Keep blaming Jose for everything - even after reality is hitting us in the face. We failed to properly strengthen the team, some players downed tools (Pogba -our talisman - especially) and some players were just not good enough.

I am still pained how we threw away the chance to build on that second position last season. And this is not about firing Jose. We just walked eyes wide open into a mess. Luckily, Ole's hiring gave us a jolt. Unfortunately, it is wearing off.

Aloysius's Back 3

Our problem was not LVG or Jose.

It was Jose after LVG.

They did not match & our squad is looking weaker than ever due to a misbalance of tactics and the players to play that.

Smores

Keep blaming Jose for everything - even after reality is hitting us in the face. We failed to properly strengthen the team, some players downed tools (Pogba -our talisman - especially) and some players were just not good enough.

I am still pained how we threw away the chance to build on that second position last season. And this is not about firing Jose. We just walked eyes wide open into a mess. Luckily, Ole's hiring gave us a jolt. Unfortunately, it is wearing off.
Oh i agree with you and that was my main point really. However Jose did have us underperform due to his antics of falling out with players this season thats not arguable.

There was a thread while he was still here claiming it was a title winning team being held back, those type of emotional tantrum arguments were bollocks.

There's issues with our team thar need major work and it'll be a tough job for Ole to move from top 4 to titles again

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The view I am struggling with are those who seem to believe the following two statements are reasonable to believe at the same time.

1. The current united squad is poor, lacks quality and is inferior to all five of the teams currently above us in the table.

2. Ole was the wrong choice because United are not comfortably winning almost every game with these players

I can understand believing one of those is true - but not both. If the squad is awful and lacking in depth and quality then you can't expect Ole to turn them into world beaters in 6 months; especially with no additions. On the other hand if Ole should be doing better with these players then the squad cannot be so awful and is not inferior to all of the 5 teams above us.

My view is that the squad is decent and borderline top 4 already, but needs some quality additions in key positions. I think Ole is more or less getting the best out of what he has at his disposal. I can see a clear style of play that he is trying to adopt and one that will likely show itself very effective once he's been able to add a few quality signings in the summer. I suspect a comfortable top 4 finish and perhaps a league or FA cup final is far more likely next season than a title challenge, but hopefully that will come following his second summer transfer business - i.e. in his second full season in charge.

I absolutely love how Ole conducts himself in the media. He's a credit to our club and its fans. He properly loves this club and you can trust that he will always do his very best and put the interests of the club first.

LVG and Jose both got at least two full seasons and Ole deserves at least that much time before people start calling for the likes of Pochettino or Zidane etc.

GM K

Oh i agree with you and that was my main point really. However Jose did have us underperform due to his antics of falling out with players this season thats not arguable.

There was a thread while he was still here claiming it was a title winning team being held back, those type of emotional tantrum arguments were bollocks.

There's issues with our team thar need major work and it'll be a tough job for Ole to move from top 4 to titles again
Absolutely spot on.
Couldn't agree more.

Gator Nate

You can't just pick out one stat and use it in isolation as 'evidence' of how good (or not) we are or where in a given game

Dalot missed a sitter of a header just before HT, doesn't count as a shot on target though does it

In general, Barcelona were poor. This was in part because McTominay, Smalling, Shaw and Fred were very good. We were poor going forward at times because our attack is below top-level
A point that too many miss. You cannot make me believe that Barcelona were satisfied walking away with a 1-goal win in the Champions League. When you're capable, you put your boot down on your opponent's throat. You don't knock him down and wait for him to get back up. The only other option is that Barca are unbelievably arrogant.

SAFMUTD

What worries me about Ole, since he is not a proved manager, is that as soon as there’s a little blood the press the fans and even the players will doubt him.

I don’t know if the players and him can take it, it’s easy to have confidence in the manager when everything goes your way but as soon as things get hard that’s when the doubts start.

Today was the first game where I was really worried, we play shit and Ole didn’t adjust, I know we don’t have a lot of options on the bench but I expected a change in tactics since it was clear that it was just a matter of time until Wolves scored.

For sure we need a rebuilding and some players are clearly not good enough if we are to compete with City and Liverpool, but I’m not sure Ole is the right person to do it. It’s not going to be an easy ride and I don’t know if he can take the pressure.
I called it first, exactly my thoughts. I don’t think Ole will be able to handle the pressure, and it will be really risky to hand him 200 millions when he most likely not be here in a year time.

el3mel

Shouldn't this thread be either closed or merged with the other thread that has "permanent manager" in the title?