Ole has to start agitating over lack of signings

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we fail to sign any of our target before market window close, would you all still look forward to this season?
I mean, we still have quite a few new players and young players breaking through:
AWB
James
Greenwood
Tuanzebe
Gomes

Kag

Ole has just done this. But he’s done it professionally, unlike the last halfwit who managed the club.

He’s made it very clear that he expects at least two more signings before the window closes. He’s also saying that he understands the difficulty of the present market. He’s effectively (and cleverly) absolving himself of any potential blame for the lack of players while doing so in a seemingly supportive way. I know we have ‘supporters’ on this forum that dislike Ole and long for the Mourinho era, but he’s absolutely excellent in the media. No doubt about that.

RG 11

If we fail to sign any of our target before market window close, would you all still look forward to this season?
I mean, we still have quite a few new players and young players breaking through:
AWB
James
Greenwood
Tuanzebe
Gomes
4 out of 5 are not proven at all. It's a big gamble to go into the season without any established CB or CM signings. Nevermind the fact that we have a glaring hole on the right wing which we've flat out refused to address this window.

MrSingh2002

Ole should back up his big talk from when he arrived and before the window opened.

We haven't cleared any deadwood AT ALL. Nevermind getting rid of the players that aren't good enough. It now looks as though he makes empty threats to the squad.

Same players are robbing a living and to make it worse we're not buying the players we need again. Something big has to change this week.

Wolff

Ole should back up his big talk from when he arrived and before the window opened.

We haven't cleared any deadwood AT ALL. Nevermind getting rid of the players that aren't good enough. It now looks as though he makes empty threats to the squad.

Same players are robbing a living and to make it worse we're not buying the players we need again. Something big has to change this week.
How on earth could he possible do that? He needs some balance in the squad. Players with experience and know how. No doubt he expressed his opinion on who should stay, who should go and he wanted to be signed. But it’s not him doing the ground work moving players or bringing them in. His work is to do the best with what he got. And part of that is installing faith and a good atmosphere in the group. Can hardly say he is failing at that,, now can you?

Reactions: esmufc07

MrSingh2002

How on earth could he possible do that? He needs some balance in the squad. Players with experience and know how. No doubt he expressed his opinion on who should stay, who should go and he wanted to be signed. But it’s not him doing the ground work moving players or bringing them in. His work is to do the best with what he got. And part of that is installing faith and a good atmosphere in the group. Can hardly say he is failing at that,, now can you?
Faith and atmosphere won't win as many games as good players over bad players. He made his bed with his big talk at the end of last season. Do we have another candidate for a job title change? Not being a manager but a coach?

Ole and Ed work for the same club and our club needs to let some players go and sign some at the same time. If some of the surplus players aren't attractive to other premier league clubs that tells us all we need to know and it's better to give the dross away to clear squad space and wages.

Smores

Its not his fault but i wish people would stop with this nonsense that a few warm words is suddenly going to create a good team spirit.

Our players aren't that dumb they know the weaknesses of the team and that we haven't resolved them. Pogba knows he'll be playing with poor midfield partners and De Gea knows he still has a dodgy defence. Ole being positive doesn't change this.

Web of Bissaka

AWB
James
Greenwood
Tuanzebe
Gomes
Yes.
McT, Andreas, Dalot, Lindelof and the 6 new players (2 new and 4 youths) are the most interesting things to look forward to.

Would be great if those players especially Tuanzebe, Gomes and Chong are given many chances. I have no problems with AWB, James and Greenwood, for sure Ole will give them plenty of games. Axel, Angel and Tahith though, I doubt they'll play a lot of games, Gomes and Chong I bet will barely play any games at all.

StrettyEnder07

4 out of 5 are not proven at all. It's a big gamble to go into the season without any established CB or CM signings. Nevermind the fact that we have a glaring hole on the right wing which we've flat out refused to address this window.
Maybe that's actually a good thing as 95% of all our "established"players are absolute hump. A few kids with no fear hopefully will do us some good

StrettyEnder07

I love the way you think Ole has 10 buyers lined up for each player. We are asking for about 7M for Darmian who is an Italian international and we still can't get rid.

Maybe, just maybe, it is not Ole who is keeping the deadwood, maybe it is the fact that no other club actually wants to buy them? Now there's a thought

MrSingh2002

I love the way you think Ole has 10 buyers lined up for each player. We are asking for about 7M for Darmian who is an Italian international and we still can't get rid.

Maybe, just maybe, it is not Ole who is keeping the deadwood, maybe it is the fact that no other club actually wants to buy them? Now there's a thought
And that tells you where we're at. Better giving them away and clearing them off the wage bill. Sanchez and Darmian fit that bill and shouldnt be on ours.

StrettyEnder07

And that tells you where we're at. Better giving them away and clearing them off the wage bill. Sanchez and Darmian fit that bill and shouldnt be on ours.
Both need to go but the club are not gonna just give international players away on the house, similar situation with Madrid and Bale, big wages but just because he is not wanted, they are not going to just let him leave for free, that is ridiculous.

Imagine the scenes if we just give Rojo, Sanchez, Darmian, Lingard, Matic, Jones, Smalling all away on free transfers now.

A few will go because clubs get desperate for bodies on deadline day, give them away for free before we even get to the biggest day for deals of the season, yaeh that will work well

MrSingh2002

Both need to go but the club are not gonna just give international players away on the house, similar situation with Madrid and Bale, big wages but just because he is not wanted, they are not going to just let him leave for free, that is ridiculous.

Imagine the scenes if we just give Rojo, Sanchez, Darmian, Lingard, Matic, Jones, Smalling all away on free transfers now.

A few will go because clubs get desperate for bodies on deadline day, give them away for free before we even get to the biggest day for deals of the season, yaeh that will work well
I only mentioned Darmian and Sanchez. The rest serve a purpose for now.

MrSingh2002

Personally say that Sanchez serves more of a purpose at the moment than Rojo but thats just my opinion
Problem with Sanchez is we're paying him over £1m per month. Other than one late match winner I can't remember a thing he's done to justify it. Horses for courses. We have several players who are candidates for the chop.

Eric's Seagull

Problem with Sanchez is we're paying him over £1m per month. Other than one late match winner I can't remember a thing he's done to justify it. Horses for courses. We have several players who are candidates for the chop.
Last season he scored 1 league goal all season which is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

Foxbatt

We need to get a quality Midfield player as number one priority. Then someone to replace Matic and then a CB. and maybe a striker. If we get three quality players we can achieve things but woodward is in the last chance saloon and there will be an almighty ruckus if we fail this coming season and this time he cannot blame the manager as he had done in the past. No one is going to believe him.

StrettyEnder07

We made our bed, can't blame Sanchez for earning that we offered it to him. He has a second chance as no one wants him and you're not going to just throw him on the scrapheap just yet as there is a quality player in there, maybe in a fluid more attacking system he might come good, be a massive unexpected plus if he does.

overtheborder

Maguire done deal just heard on the radio. Wonder if this could go a fair bit of way towards silencing any discontent over a perceived lack of signings?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
When ever fan on CAF says "These transfers take time" Arsenal with supposedly minimal budget have just gone and broken their transfer record. 6 days, that's all it took to complete this transfer with Napoli and other teams challenging them.

We took 6 weeks to complete AWB.

2 months to consider a bid for bruno

2 months to realise Maguire is unattainable.

Now you waited an extra day and have been made to look like an idiot, will you stop complaining?

romufc

Now you waited an extra day and have been made to look like an idiot, will you stop complaining?

no.

Just because we signed him, doesn't mean the problems that are in the club have disappeared, maybe for fickle fans like you.

The transfer policy is still shambles.

I am happy that we have finally signed him.

Last edited:

buckooo1978

when Ole goes to bed tonight I wonder will the thought cross his mind - Feck you Woodward

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If he’s ‘happy’ with the squad then he’s fecking mental. I wouldn’t want him to go all Mourinho and say we need new first team but rather have a bit more tact. Saying something like; whilst we’ve got excellent talent in our squad and good youngsters coming through, ideally we’d still need to strengthen in key areas. I’ve identified those areas and have given them to Ed Woodward.

I mean what the hell is wrong with saying that?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If he’s ‘happy’ with the squad then he’s fecking mental. I wouldn’t want him to go all Mourinho and say we need new first team but rather have a bit more tact. Saying something like; whilst we’ve got excellent talent in our squad and good youngsters coming through, ideally we’d still need to strengthen in key areas. I’ve identified those areas and have given them to Ed Woodward.

I mean what the hell is wrong with saying that?
He's not going to throw the guy that hired him under the bus. He's not that guy.

Anyway, Ole is a natural optimist.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's not going to throw the guy that hired him under the bus. He's not that guy.

Anyway, Ole is a natural optimist.
Woodward will feed him to the lions the first chance he gets.

Also, what I said is not throwing him under the bus. It’s being tactful in my opinion whilst applying a bit of pressure to invest in the team properly. Regardless of what we did before, we’ve severely underinvested this summer. We need 3 more players.

Someone

Something
Ole is putting a lot of faith in the young players, which is admirable, but he isn't a proven manager yet, and that makes the start of next season crucial. The club really needed to support him, but I don't think they've done enough.

PoTMS

He'll be the fall guy should as expected this season go tits up. I don't see where we go from here. We certainly aren't going to be pulling up any trees the state our squad is at the moment. We're in a permanent transitional stage.

Foxbatt

Any decent midfield player and we would have strengthened our team a lot. You put in Erickson and it would have made an enormous difference. You put Fernandez in and it would have made the same impact. But with Matic, Fred and Mata and Scott our midfield is probably the worst in the PL. Pogba alone cannot do wonders and he has also not delivered so far yet with a better midfield.

buckooo1978

bump....

what a shocking situation we find ourselves in.....

our midfield options
- McTominay (inconsistent prospect)
- Pogba (excellent but needs next to a strong player)
- Lingard (runs a lot and nothing else)
- Mata (looks done)
- Matic (done)
- Pereira (average)
- Fred (average so far)

our attacker options
- Rashford
- Martial (month out)
- James (needed bedded in)
- Chong, Greenwood and Gomes (we might rely on these kids - imagine the pressure cooker)

we might be looking at the long term but they are awful options - we aren't getting top 4 with those options. Goodbye Sancho etc

We are likely to lose De Gea and Pogba too so more replacements required

Ole needed to give himself a chance by demanding 2 more players minimum - the task he'd have next Summer is incredible now

C'est Moi Cantona

bump....

our midfield options
- Mata (looks done)
- Matic (done)
- Pereira (average)
- Fred (average so far)

our attacker options
- Rashford
- Martial (month out)
- Chong, Greenwood and Gomes (we might rely on these kids - imagine the pressure cooker)

we might be looking at the long term but they are awful options - we aren't getting top 4 with those options. Goodbye Sancho etc

Ole needed to give himself a chance by demanding 2 more players minimum - the task he'd have next Summer is incredible now
How does he do this? I'm sure he made his feelings very clear during the summer yet look at us, imo he has been hung out to dry, and I just hope the fans remember who is to blame here, because it isn't him.

The reality is if we are true to form post Fergie, then Ole will be unlikely to be here to demand anything when the time comes, we can forget January as that is just a window for the desperate, and given our supposed mantra of 'only buying the right players', 'only players that want to come here' etc, then that apparently won't be us.

ravi2

bump....

our midfield options
- Mata (looks done)
- Matic (done)
- Pereira (average)
- Fred (average so far)

our attacker options
- Rashford
- Martial (month out)

Im sure Ole wanted a RW and a CM but Woodward could not deliver.
Not sure what else Ole can do except try to remain positive and work with what he has got.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
bump....

our midfield options
- Mata (looks done)
- Matic (done)
- Pereira (average)
- Fred (average so far)

our attacker options
- Rashford
- Martial (month out)

He DID demand those players. We targerted both Jadon Sancho and Christian Eriksen, on top of Sean Longstaff, both were non-starters for different reasons and Longstaff had a cozy £50m price tag. I honestly don't know who else we might have actually targeted outside of the rumour mill, but I'm starting to get quite bummed about the club not having delivered a world class partner for Paul Pogba.

Pogbas brothers statement regarding Paul wanting to go was incredibly telling. "Paul can't do everything himself". - The problem is not that Pogba does not want to be in Manchester United. The problem is that Paul Pogba has to carry everyone on his back, every single game, and THAT is why he wants to move on. I'm very hyped about our prospect pool and the potential of Fred stepping up, but they are so many steps behind Pogba they're not comparable players.

Greck

Im sure Ole wanted a RW and a CM but Woodward could not deliver.
Not sure what else Ole can do except try to remain positive and work with what he has got.
So much conjecture and projection. He wanted Sancho that much we know. We also know we weren't linked with any other wingers. A more likely explanation is Ole wants to sign specific players

buckooo1978

in terms of Sancho and Erickson if we assume Ole wanted them it became pretty clear he wouldn't get them

The club needed to realise how light the squad was/is and bring in some experienced players

Fernandes was obviously available but there were/are dozens of players available that would bridge the gap for a year

Tierney was a missed opportunity and even a player like Nainggolan would have been a decent loan option

it's ok being patient but Ole is going to struggle for momentum.... an important part of rebuilding and improving

::sonny::

It’s lime if United in the past pointed all on Macheda/Bebe/Zaha/Powell waiting for their explosion

buckooo1978

Ole should have opened his gob in the Summer

he did the right thing in releasing players not in his vision but we went into the season short in midfield and attack

we lacked quality in midfield and attack in places - particularly in midfield

at the start of the season we had a number of muscle injuries but the inability to rotate has cost us badly

Pogba has barely played this season because he was rushed back v Rochdale and at Christmas. McTominay played on with an injury and now Rashford is out of the next 2/3 months games by which stage we could be out of contention for CL qualification or a trophy

it's not good enough from the Glazers, Woodward and Ole himself

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Time for that has been and gone...

Ole just needs to start thinking about his next job - and Utd need to bring in a proper manager with immediate effect.

Fun experiment (for Opps at least), but it hasn't worked out.

Get rid of him.

Utd is bigger than Ole Solskjaer's managerial career.