Ole has to start agitating over lack of signings

buckooo1978

Why does Ole need to protect himself? He is not Mourinho or Van Gaal, he is actually a Manchester United fan and would rather protect the club than his own ego or career. If fans are ignorant and gullible enough to blame him for our situation, it's on them, not him.
his reputation suffered in the run in last season

he had the team playing like World beaters from December until February. They played like a relegation team from March to May and there was talk of Ole not being up to the job, presiding over record breaking poor runs of results, losing the dressing room etc

it's clear we needed to cut the cancer out of the squad with players sold/released, hungry young players brought in and working hard on fitness - on this it's clear that he's been let down with only 2 players brought in and major squad issues not addressed.

If Ole sits in that first press conference after the window closes and says he's happy with his squad and our Summer transfer dealings then he can have no complaints when he gets sacked if we have another run similar to March to May

in terms of fan ignorance/gullibility 5 mins on here would illustrate how naive/gullible fans actually are

hope I'm wrong but reckon I'm right - the next 10 days or whatever will tell

DoomSlayer

his reputation suffered in the run in last season

he had the team playing like World beaters from December until February. They played like a relegation team from March to May and there was talk of Ole not being up to the job, presiding over record breaking poor runs of results, losing the dressing room etc

it's clear we needed to cut the cancer out of the squad with players sold/released, hungry young players brought in and working hard on fitness - on this it's clear that he's been let down with only 2 players brought in and major squad issues not addressed.

If Ole sits in that first press conference after the window closes and says he's happy with his squad and our Summer transfer dealings then he can have no complaints when he gets sacked if we have another run similar to March to May

in terms of fan ignorance/gullibility 5 mins on here would illustrate how naive/gullible fans actually are

hope I'm wrong but reckon I'm right - the next 10 days or whatever will tell
I have no idea what your point is with this long post, since it doesn't negate any part of my own statement.

Litch

Understandable that your patience is wearing thin. I’m more in between somewhere, I think many of the mentioned players, trained and organized well, are good enough to be squad members of a top team. A few of the younger have the potential to rise into starter level for a top team, but it’s hard to say who will make the step up and who won’t. And we will need to strengthen, not once, but at least over two summers, before we can dream of the top spot again.
An analogy. My wife has a wardrobe full of clothes most of which doesn't fit her or no longer in fashion. The illusion is that she has plenty from the outside in but the reality is more than half should be thrown. She doesn't want to throw them as she would have to replace them and she hates shopping so would rather keep the money, live with them being outdated or lose weight. None of the above but she continues to moan about not having clothes and her weight.....that's Man Utd.

Ole is selling us the illusion that what we have seen for years under different managers is not real and therefore no need to buy new and replace.

Sadly he'll probably have to learn the hard way as Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Matic will still be here on contracts Ole long after he's been sacked. The irony....

Grande

An analogy. My wife has a wardrobe full of clothes most of which doesn't fit her or no longer in fashion. The illusion is that she has plenty from the outside in but the reality is more than half should be thrown. She doesn't want to throw them as she would have to replace them, live with them being outdated or lose weight. None of the above but she continues to moan about not having clothes.....that's Man Utd. Ole is selling us the illusion that what we have seen for years under different managers is not real and therefore no need to buy new and replace.
Sadly he'll probably have to learn the hard way as Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Matic will still be here on contracts Ole long after he's been sacked. The irony....
I get your analogy. I just don’t think it’s correct.

buckooo1978

I have no idea what your point is with this long post, since it doesn't negate any part of my own statement.
the first 3 small paragraphs explain how his reputation is on the line with this job and its outcome

the sentence after says that fans are gullible

the last says I hope I am wrong and we make some positive moves in the remainder of the transfer window

simple enough

Litch

I get your analogy. I just don’t think it’s correct.
It may not be but it can't be denied something is very wrong and there is some irony that whilst we keep changing managers, all the players are still here. Each year we fall further behind the top two and are getting caught by those below us. Even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have thought at this point in the window we would have signed two players and that all the deadwood would still be here, some of which have had their contracts extended.

AshRK

Ole is selling us the illusion that what we have seen for years under different managers is not real and therefore no need to buy new and replace.

Maybe he did want to get rid of half of the players which is what he said after the everton game but maybe the board is refusing to do its job once again. Surely Ole would not be dreaming of working Rojo, Darmian, Jones etc.

Ole asked for a defender and so far he has not got, so he would be forced to play one of Smalling or Jones. Similarly there has been no midfielder signed and which is why he might be forced to play Matic. Just saying in the first conference that he is not happy with the squad , will not change anything instead will spread negativity which by the way is the last thing we again need.

Greck

Maybe he did want to get rid of half of the players which is what he said after the everton game but maybe the board is refusing to do its job once again. Surely Ole would not be dreaming of working Rojo, Darmian, Jones etc.

Ole asked for a defender and so far he has not got, so he would be forced to play one of Smalling or Jones. Similarly there has been no midfielder signed and which is why he might be forced to play Matic. Just saying in the first conference that he is not happy with the squad , will not change anything instead will spread negativity which by the way is the last thing we again need.
Ole rates Jones so you might be projecting your own wishes/opinion here. As for Rojo he isn't moving because of his wages. We tried to move him last year and it fell through when he was unwilling to take a downgrade in salary. That much is no one's fault. We know he wants a CB so let's see how the Maguire saga ends

Litch

Maybe. Ole be careful what you wish for, he should be bringing in players that want success and not those that are use to failure.

AshRK

Maybe. Ole be careful what you wish for, he should be bringing in players that want success and not those that are use to failure.
But it's not totally up to him to do that. Board has to back him and give him quality so that he can play the quality and not depend on the deadwood. Now if he keeps on persisting with Young ahead of AWB or plays Mata everytime instead of trying out Gomes or Greenwood then one can fault Ole. But you cannot fault Ole for not bringing in players as it's not his job.

Litch

But it's not totally up to him to do that. Board has to back him and give him quality so that he can play the quality and not depend on the deadwood. Now if he keeps on persisting with Young ahead of AWB or plays Mata everytime instead of trying out Gomes or Greenwood then one can fault Ole. But you cannot fault Ole for not bringing in players as it's not his job.
Its funny, sometimes you get a job and you are almost grateful that they have offered it you and then there are other times where you are head hunted and you can make demands before deciding whether the company is deserving of what you bring to it. Ole is the first, he came with very little meaningful success so whilst popular and ambitious, his currency or value was low. No board is going to hand over millions of pounds to someone with zero history of spending in this market. The more I think about it, the more I believe that the budget was capped, and if Ole watched anymore, he'd have to sell. I think they have identified who they want but those dominoes are only going to fall once the Rom and potentially the Pogs money comes in.

Wolff

Thought this was a rubbish thread. But saw an interview on local tv today. Have to admit, I have never seen him so tense and agitated when asked about signings.

Grande

It may not be but it can't be denied something is very wrong and there is some irony that whilst we keep changing managers, all the players are still here. Each year we fall further behind the top two and are getting caught by those below us. Even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have thought at this point in the window we would have signed two players and that all the deadwood would still be here, some of which have had their contracts extended.
Most people think something is wrong, I for one have several beefs with the Glazers and Woodward over how the club has been run since 2009 at least.

Managers not fitting each other nor the club in quick succession is one of these.

Players remaining indefinately is not one of them. David de Gea, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Ashley Young have been chosen by Fergie, played under Fergie and has since convinced as different managers as Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjær that they are valuable to a United squad - all the while at least 40 players, Fergie’s and others, have been shipped out. These four players have watched several Bundesliga and Ligue 1 player of the year-contenders come and go. Some people believe a woman is a witch or bring bad luck if she is present during several bad episodes, but I count that as superstition. I find it more plausible that these four players have impressed again and again with good attitude, good training, good effect on the dressing room and good qualities.

I know some people call Fergie historical, Moyes a simpleton, Van Gaal a lunatic and Mourinho a dinosaur, and see themselves as ‘modern managers impregnable to BS’. I don’t trust that judgement. those four players are here still, on merit.

Moat of the players we need to get rid of, are more in the mould of panic buys. Let’s see if some of them are gone come September.

R'hllor

Thats why he got contract extension under him, or you think Ole said to EW "Dont wanna work with Jones, let his contract run out and dont even think about extending his contract" and EW responded "Na, Jones is getting his contract and you watch your tone".

DoomSlayer

Thats why he got contract extension under him, or you think Ole said to EW "Dont wanna work with Jones, let his contract run out and dont even think about extending his contract" and EW responded "Na, Jones is getting his contract and you watch your tone".
Didn't Jones get a contract when Ole was still caretaker? Only extension that I could blame Solskjaer for is Young and it is only for 1 year, so it's not as fatal as the Jones one.

R'hllor

Didn't Jones get a contract when Ole was still caretaker? Only extension that I could blame Solskjaer for is Young and it is only for 1 year, so it's not as fatal as the Jones one.
Yea, but doubt they woke up one day and decided to promote him into permanent role, hell Ole was talking about making preparation plans for next season few weeks before he even became a permanent manager. After that string of wins, decision was probably more or less made, no wonder they didnt wait end of season to review before making a final decision. In worst case, he was probably asked for opinion.

So yea, Jones and Young happened under his watch, besides Jones played under Ole, its not like Jones was on the bench with 0 minutes while in same time they extending his contract.

DoomSlayer

Yea, but doubt they woke up one day and decided to promote him into permanent role, hell Ole was talking about making preparation plans for next season few weeks before he even became a permanent manager. After that string of wins, decision was probably more or less made, no wonder they didnt wait end of season to review before making a final decision. In worst case, he was probably asked for opinion.

So yea, Jones and Young happened under his watch, besides Jones played under Ole, its not like Jones was on the bench with 0 minutes while in same time they extending his contract.
Jones played under Mourinho as well, to be honest. The club seems hellbent on extending players' contracts to "preserve value" and try to sell them, which doesn't seem to work, at all. That's why we still have the likes of Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Darmian still at the club.

ryansgirl

Firstly i have to say the signs are all good pre-season. The youngsters particularly Greenwood and Gomes have lit up our warm ups.

But we are in the home straight of the transfer window and the start of the new season and still have signed up just two players. And this is heading the way previous transfer windows have gone. Lots of discussions without sealing the deal. All huff and puff and no actual stuff.

What Ole needs to do though is start agitating. Not like Jose. But saying nothing is accepting this situation.

He has stated during pre-season that we "have" to replace players we have lost.

We have lost Herrera and Fellaini and not replaced them.

The Bruno Fernandes and Maguire sagas are becoming as long drawn out as United fans have come to expect.

And the normal course of events, if past evidence is anything to go by, will be it will come to nothing.

This is unacceptable.

Central midfield is a problem position for us and we need quality. We cannot be hoodwinked by a few positive pre-season friendlies.

If Ole has been brought in because he won't rock the boat then fans have every right to be angry.

We are supposed to be investing in a team that has a desire to win trophies.

And now is the time for Ole to grow a pair, and become less babyfaced and more assassin.
Absolutely - just when things seems to be going along in an adult controlled way with all important news kept in-house and no managerial bleating and blethering publicly, Ole should do a Jose and disrupt it. What are you on? I certainly don't want to try it.

I've enjoyed watching the way the managerial regime now handles the media, agents and players. No playing agent games and responding directly, no falling into the trap of telling want-away players to suck it up and wait until the best price is offered or in Paul P's case giving him and his scumbag of an agent credence and therefore power.

The chance of Fernandes coming is fairly good - Ole and co are not going to stir the pot there. Why on earth should they? The issue is one of the target player's club holding out, nothing United can do about that.

Players such as Lukaka and Darmian will likely be on their way relatively soon - Barcelona of all clubs is interested in Darmian, yes please, have the useless passenger - but being a sucker and doing something because a European club is demanding it isn't Ole's way nor is it of Ed Woodward in these cases.

Be grateful for the measured activity. I'm enjoying watching Ole handle all this - he has learned more than a thing or two from Sir Alex without having the same personality.

ryansgirl

He's a master in propaganda. In time, leaks will start coming out about players being unhappy with Ole, about his methods being outdated and about top players being at the brink of signing with us only to turn us down once they learnt that Ole was there. Other leaks would say that scouts suggested Pepe and Varane, that they were very close to joins but unfortunately Ole ended up vetoing those deals, preferring James instead as he only wanted players from the EPL/Championship. The new manager will back the board up until he'll be in that shitty situation himself. We've seen that already.
I see we have a prophet on here now. It must be marvellous to have your immense foresight and unshakeable conviction at this stage.

marktan

Absolutely - just when things seems to be going along in an adult controlled way with all important news kept in-house and no managerial bleating and blethering publicly, Ole should do a Jose and disrupt it. What are you on? I certainly don't want to try it.

I've enjoyed watching the way the managerial regime now handles the media, agents and players. No playing agent games and responding directly, no falling into the trap of telling want-away players to suck it up and wait until the best price is offered or in Paul P's case giving him and his scumbag of an agent credence and therefore power.

The chance of Fernandes coming is fairly good - Ole and co are not going to stir the pot there. Why on earth should they? The issue is one of the target player's club holding out, nothing United can do about that.

Players such as Lukaka and Darmian will likely be on their way relatively soon - Barcelona of all clubs is interested in Darmian, yes please, have the useless passenger - but being a sucker and doing something because a European club is demanding it isn't Ole's way nor is it of Ed Woodward in these cases.

Be grateful for the measured activity. I'm enjoying watching Ole handle all this - he has learned more than a thing or two from Sir Alex without having the same personality.
I didn't like Jose's antics in his last season more than the next person, but it's widely known that his summer transfers e.g. Person, Willian, a defender etc were vetoed by Ed. We ended up signing a youngster for £20m and a £50m promising player - exactly the same as this summer.

Say what you want but the man is a serial winner - why give him a new 5 year contract in February and then refuse to back him in the summer? Over the last 6 years post saf, it was Jose's first year the with Zlatan that looked most like a team - but then Zlatan got injured as did Rojo which ruined the Bailly Rojo pairing. All downhill from there.

Ole's a nice guy and I wish him the best for all our sakes, but he has no experience at this level and I see us seriously struggling again this year. Our attack, midfield and centrebacks are just to weak to come close to challenging for anything. He means well with the 'high energy, high press mantra' that klopp and pep have made popular - but even teams lower than us play that way - what differentiates those two managers from the rest is the actual world class teams they've built first to play that way.

ryansgirl

That's fair enough.

Jose's personality, however, was a considerable part of his undoing and while the public gripes about your own players and whatever are fine when you are winning the title and the Champions League, they just served to undermine the club as well as himself as that silverware was lacking.

And he wanted and got some horrendous mismatches of players all the while vacuuming up shedloads of United money. I know he won silverware and people forget that but I have never liked his team construction in the English league - stacking teams with overpaid players but not building an identity.

Sereques

SAF wanted Harzard, because of £5M agent fees he ended up with Obertan. Best CEO of our time Gill was in charge :rolleyes:

Did you all hear him crying to the press? SAF spent the funds available to him wisely the previous managers were wasteful. Ole have to be wise with his own recruitment to and he will surely do well.

We didn’t hire managers to tell us & the world about our problems, they were all hired to fix it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I see we have a prophet on here now. It must be marvellous to have your immense foresight and unshakeable conviction at this stage.
We've seen that happening in the past with other managers. If you think that Woodward won't throw the manager under the bus if he fails to deliver then think again. He won't get the blame, he never does.

ryansgirl

We've seen that happening in the past with other managers. If you think that Woodward won't throw the manager under the bus if he fails to deliver then think again. He won't get the blame, he never does.
That's a reasonable reply to my rather snippish reply to your original post.

I understand you are just relaying the truth about Woodward but I don't think Ole's failure then being thrown under the bus by Woodward is the fait accompli some people on the caf think. BTW if you're really a Juventus fan, do you think the team will get Mauro Icardi? I'd love to see him at United - if his wife agent wasn't such a liability.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
SAF wanted Harzard, because of £5M agent fees he ended up with Obertan. Best CEO of our time Gill was in charge :rolleyes:

Did you all hear him crying to the press? SAF spent the funds available to him wisely the previous managers were wasteful. Ole have to be wise with his own recruitment to and he will surely do well.

We didn’t hire managers to tell us & the world about our problems, they were all hired to fix it.
Your timeline is wrong. We signed Kagawa, not Obertan.

Agreed with the point though. SAF believed it's his club, everyone is a team and kept everything in-house. Ole is same, he won't blame anyone in media.

Ranchero

Can i draw your attention to the sentence: "What Ole needs to do though is start agitating. Not like Jose."

So that is NOT like Jose. To be clear. NOT.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's a reasonable reply to my rather snippish reply to your original post.

I understand you are just relaying the truth about Woodward but I don't think Ole's failure then being thrown under the bus by Woodward is the fait accompli some people on the caf think. BTW if you're really a Juventus fan, do you think the team will get Mauro Icardi? I'd love to see him at United - if his wife agent wasn't such a liability.
I've learnt enough about psychology to know that its very easy to demonise somebody especially if we have the means. That's how despicable politicians manage to end up in government. United has the means and we've got journalists salivating for our next leak. Ole lack the experience, the means to go toe to toe against Manchester United and on top of that he loves us. I doubt Woodward or the Glazers share that feelings for him.

Regarding my tag I was given such tag because I admire the way they organize their board which is the reason why they had been successful throughout more then half a century. I was, I am and I will always be a United supporter. In fact I find this tag a bit cruel tbh, considering that Malta has been dragged in WW2 by the fascists. You might not know but Juventus are owned by the Agnelli whose wealth increased substantially thanks to Mussolini the guy whose obsession with adding my country in origin to Italy lead to Malta ending up becoming the most bombed country in the world. I remember 3 of my great parents who lived that hell.

Regarding Icardi, I think he's another David Beckham with the difference that Wanda Nara is not Victoria Beckham. Similarly to Beckham, Icardi lives inside his partner's undies. Unfortunately Wanda lacks the brains Victoria has especially in terms of messing with things she shouldn't mess with. She became his agent, a role that she was clearly out of depth in and Italians don't really appreciate having a woman dictating things to clubs especially if dirty laundry could easily be aired on life TV (she's a presenter in Italy's famous Tika Taka show). Bottom line of the story is that Icardi would have acted more professionally if he had a half decent agent and Inter wouldn't have dared treating him like crap if instead of Wanda there was Mino Raiola. The guy would have probably placed the little boy who owns Inter back in his box by now.

Should anyone get Icardi? Well considering that Inter are throwing him to the dogs then the answer is yes. Actually I think we should suggest a 60m + Icardi deal for Lukaku (I know that's crazy but Inter are renowned to be crazy, they even confess that in their anthem). However as part of his contract we should demand Icardi to change agent.

Last edited:

Ranchero

Pepe signs for Arsenal in a £70m deal pushing the Gunners well ahead of us so far in the transfer window.