Ole in? Some surprising stats that reveal another side to Solskjaer's management performance

croadyman

Because he still has the love of the players and hasn't done a bad job since he started. finshing 3rd, then 2nd and runners up in a European final. He has made progress every year.
If things spiral out of control, then yes. But we have to think with a level head and not react to bad form. We have to give him till the end of the season, then evaluate.
I can't decide if they just love the comfortable atmosphere they get with Ole or are genuinely fighting for him

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Some surprising stats that show how Ole compares to the almighty Klopp after 162 games...and lo and behold, the Norwegian has a higher win rate.

I’m sure I saw Gary Neville making this comparison not too long ago. Didn’t United spend like £300 million more than Liverpool during these respective periods?

meamth

How did they look as a team though? He completely transformed the way they play and you could clearly see they were building towards something. Once they got to the CL final and lost they came straight back the following season and won it as well as pushing City all the way in the league. They then won the league the season after, constantly on an upward trajectory.
Are we on downwards trajectory under Ole? ;)

Ixion

That's not the point though, is it? Someone is saying these stats are before Klopp bought 2 players that transformed his side. The same could be said for Ole, we just haven't seen it yet.
Well by this point he had already gotten them to the CL final and they would go on to win it in this same year so I think however you want to slice it he comes out on top.

ShinjiNinja26

Are we on downwards trajectory under Ole? ;)
Well let’s see we’ve been knocked out the league cup at the first hurdle, still aren’t guaranteed to progress through a very winnable CL group and are currently sitting 6th in the league despite having a very favourable set of opening fixtures. So at this precise moment yes we are on a downward trajectory. ;)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's not the point though, is it? Someone is saying these stats are before Klopp bought 2 players that transformed his side. The same could be said for Ole, we just haven't seen it yet.
He could buy a Brian Robson/Scholes/Keane fused with Zidane and it still wouldn't help him to match Klopp's subsequent record.

Sviken

The team Klopp took finished 6th the season prior. The team Ole took finished second the season prior (with a total of points we're still unable to reach). There's nothing more that needs to be said.

justsomebloke

Just tells us two things we already know: One, Oles results in his first two seasons are fine for a rebuild, Two, what matters is what happens now, at the end of it. For Klopp, that was 97 points and a Champions League title.

justsomebloke

The team Klopp took finished 6th the season prior. The team Ole took finished second the season prior (with a total of points we're still unable to reach). There's nothing more that needs to be said.
Yes there is. Second place or not, the squad Ole took over required a complete makeover. Not that Klopp had it easier though.

Roboc7

Yes there is. Second place or not, the squad Ole took over required a complete makeover. Not that Klopp had it easier though.
There’s no substance to Ole’s rebuild which is why we’re pretty much where we were three years ago whilst Klopp has been rebuilding not just by buying players and that’s why they went on to win the Champions League and get 97 points.

justsomebloke

The difference is everyone knew Liverpool's problems in the defense. Meanwhile United's problem seems to change everything just to excuse Ole. First it was CB, then no it's RW, now now it's the midfield.
Have you been following transfer discussions on this forum? Because how people see needs have been pretty stable for quite a long time. CB, FW, CM, RB, RW. The focus on CM is not a new thing, to say the least. If you did a poll in May, my guess is it would have come out on top.

justsomebloke

There’s no substance to Ole’s rebuild which is why we’re pretty much where we were three years ago whilst Klopp has been rebuilding not just by buying players and that’s why they went on to win the Champions League and get 97 points.
that's a different issue.

LJJT

Steve Bruce recent sacking reminded me of coming from 1 -nil down vs sheff wed to win 2-1 and go on to win the league for first time in 26 years. I remember mark hughes last minute equaliser in the fa cup semi final in 94 against oldham. I remember being on the ropes first half of that fa cup final 94 but then battering Chelsea 4-0. Being battered by Bayern only to go on and win the treble in 99. Macheda’s winner vs Villa in 2009 having come from behind again to push us on to the title ahead of the scousers. Dozens and dozens of games over the decades we came from behind to win games. It’s as much the United way as the flying wingers, free scoring football and home grown talent. If people don’t like it or aren’t happy with it or don’t think we can “keep getting away with it” - well we did back then and we can now. We’ve never, ever done it the easy way. I’d absolutely love it if we beat the scousers on Sunday. I have faith we can have a good season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Klopp set transfer world records for both a goalkeeper and a Centerback, come on now :lol: :lol:

Klopp has done a phenomenal job with the scouser trash but don't pretend he's done it with a beggar cup in hand.

Roboc7

Klopp set transfer world records for both a goalkeeper and a Centerback, come on now :lol: :lol:

Klopp has done a phenomenal job with the scouser trash but don't pretend he's done it with a beggar cup in hand.
Bless you got all excited and you didn’t even read the post, look up the meaning of the word just. We all know he has spent money but also know he’s miles better than Ole at lots of things and unsurprisingly that makes a difference, although some seem to miss that.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
This aged well.
Anyone comparing Ole woth Klopp needs their head checked.

Ixion

A bit worried now that this stats might be misleading.
The stats aren't even in Ole's favour, that's before Klopp's side went up a level and even there his side is equal to more league points and a better goal difference with a smaller transfer spend.

This fecking thread :lol:

I’ll repeat this morning, at this point in his Liverpool career (full season 3), Klopp was on his way to a 97 point Premier League season and to Champions League winners. We’ve spent more, yet lost 5 of the last 10. If we make 77 points it’d be a miracle (we’re currently picking up 1.5 points per game for the season, that’s 59 points) and we’re struggling to get out of a crap CL group.

Have @Bilbo and @Tom Cato finally woken up and smelt the coffee this morning?

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The stats aren't even in Ole's favour, that's before Klopp's side went up a level and even there his side is equal to more league points and a better goal difference with a smaller transfer spend.
And Klopp went to a CL final during that period after dismantling Pep and City 5-1 on aggregate in a quarter-final.

That would be enough to keep him here for the next 10 years the way this club is thinking.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This fecking thread :lol:

I’ll repeat this morning, at this point in his Liverpool career (full season 3), Klopp was on his way to a 97 point Premier League season and to Champions League winners. We’ve spent more, yet lost 5 of the last 10. If we make 77 points it’d be a miracle (we’re currently picking up 1.5 points per game for the season, that’s 59 points) and we’re struggling to get out of a crap CL group.

Have @Bilbo and @Tom Cato finally woken up and smelt the coffee this morning?
I resent the wording being used. There will be a lot of 'see, I was right all along' bluster on these forums now and that's why I'll be avoiding them. You, as one of the better posters, shouldn't need to go there. There's no satisfaction to be had here.

Rather than waking up and smelling the coffee, I'd prefer to say that I've been brewing my own fresh pot for a couple of weeks. Nobody will be able to convince me that Ole hasn't done a good job of getting United to this point, or that he didn't deserve our support up until recently. Something has gone badly wrong this season, but that's another conversation. No manager should survive this result and the clock is obviously now ticking on Ole's time here. If he was fired today I doubt too many could complain, but what I will not do is rewrite the past as so many have been doing.

I resent the wording being used. There will be a lot of 'see, I was right all along' bluster on these forums now and that's why I'll be avoiding them. You, as one of the better posters, shouldn't need to go there. There's no satisfaction to be had here.

Rather than waking up and smelling the coffee, I'd prefer to say that I've been brewing my own fresh pot for a couple of weeks. Nobody will be able to convince me that Ole hasn't done a good job of getting United to this point, or that he didn't deserve our support up until recently. Something has gone badly wrong this season, but that's another conversation. No manager should survive this result and the clock is obviously now ticking on Ole's time here. If he was fired today I doubt too many could complain, but what I will not do is rewrite the past as so many have been doing.
I don’t think there is a single poster on here who has got it right about any manager in fairness. My initial reaction on Ole was that he would be a catastrophe, yet he’s managed just about a couple of acceptable seasons although I’ve always maintained that the football and results were unsustainable.

I got it completely wrong on Mourinho, I thought LVG would do better than he did.

Even now I don’t think it’s the single Liverpool result that should mean his sacking, it’s more the culmination of 13 games this season where we’ve only played well in one of them and have scraped a few results to even give us a chance in the Champions League. That and the fact that last year we were also playing a brand of football the most of us could see was unsustainable in the long run.
After that great summer it should mean that any competent club would be looking for a new manager now.

I still think the club did the right thing when they changed the transfer strategy after Mourinho’s second season, and I do think that despite a lot of negativity now even surrounding the signings that a new manager could possibly come in and do similar to what Tuchel did at Chelsea with this squad of players.

I don’t think we sign players for the manager in the same sense any longer, which should make it much easier for a new guy to come in and get working with the likes of Sancho and DvB.

tomaldinho1

This thread was always a bit of a wum but the reality is the only person you can compare Ole to is Mou, they will have faced similar problems and used many of the same players.

OleMourinho
PL win %52.3853.76
CL win %46.1557.14
EL win %61.966.67
FAC win %71.4380
Carabao win %6070
Trophies02 (not inc. Comm. shield)

Add in Mou really failed here when you think about it objectively, I have no idea how Ole is still in the hot seat.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Very true. But then look at the next 100 games Klopp managed.... that's the impossible to see massive step up in quality.

And that record is Ole splashing the wong, whereas it's most likely Klopp pre keeper and Van D.
Ladies and gentlemen, Sandikan can see the future!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Even now I don’t think it’s the single Liverpool result that should mean his sacking, it’s more the culmination of 13 games this season where we’ve only played well in one of them and have scraped a few results to even give us a chance in the Champions League.
This. Whatever the outcome of last season, our football hasn't been anywhere near good enough or reflective of the players at our disposal now. People point to Ole's football as inconsistent but I think his brand of football has been very consistent for a good while. Consistently poor. We have top players that have risen through the ranks of football to earn transfers to one of the worlds biggest clubs only to then look like they can't pass or get into good positions off the ball. The quality of our coaching has been evident for a long time.

Ixion

Ladies and gentlemen, Sandikan can see the future!
Solksjaer ain't getting 90+ points in the PL this season and winning the CL. I don't think you need to be able to see the future to know that.