Ole is unhappy that we haven't bought a CM

MrSingh2002

Ole hasn't got a leg to stand on.

The window we had, any manager in the world would be lucky to have that.

el3mel

Guy is the real definition of a chequebook manager. Funny how some actually believe Ole brought back the United way when the solution for all our problems under him is "splash more money on world class, established players".

I remember during last summer someone was arguing with me that Ole won't sign Harry Kane because he's only interested in signing young, pacey players. Few weeks later we signed Cristiano Ronaldo. :lol:

Ole's reign has just been myths over myths from fans.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Give Mejbri a chance then. Or Galbraith when he returns from his loan. At least they can pass and keep the ball under pressure.
He's injured, but there was an athletic article suggesting they see him as a Pogba heir.

frostbite

It is now obvious that Ole had the following plan:

1. Get 11 world class players.
2. Play them every game.
3. Ask them to "express themselves".
4. Profit!

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's injured, but there was an athletic article suggesting they see him as a Pogba heir.
I know, mate, but, even when fit, I feel like he should be getting more of a look in. I know he's young and has temperament issues, but I think he's one of those talents that would take to first team football like a duck to water. In a few months he'll be 19 and I don't think that's too young to be getting first team opportunities when you factor in his talent and the state of our midfield.

If we don't end up signing a cm in January, I'd give Galbraith a shot when he returns from Doncaster, too. What's the harm? It's not like we're winning trophies or playing entertaining stuff with any of our current options. We're not even secured defensively either. Maybe, in the long run, we'd benefit from giving a Galbraith or Mejbri game time because I don't think dropping either in the first team will effect our season too much. If Ole stays, that is.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Guy is the real definition of a chequebook manager. Funny how some actually believe Ole brought back the United way when the solution for all our problems under him is "splash more money on world class, established players".

I remember during last summer someone was arguing with me that Ole won't sign Harry Kane because he's only interested in signing young, pacey players. Few weeks later we signed Cristiano Ronaldo. :lol:

If Ole went for expensive Brazilian/German/Argentinian/Spanish players then he would have been fount out long ago. However a big chunk of his signings were players like Slabhead, AWB, Ronaldo and Sancho ie popular players among United fans. That gave him plenty of leeway

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
But...but ...I thought he was a Glazer shill who would toe the line .....how can he be unhappy with his master's ...

NK86

But...but ...I thought he was a Glazer shill who would toe the line .....how can he be unhappy with his master's ...
You do realize, at best it's a leak. He hasn't even come out and claimed it openly. Moreover, why did he not sanction the sale or Lingard/Martial/Donny to get funds to buy a CM.

Oh just realized these posts are wasted on you with your blind faith in him.

jesperjaap

Ole hasn't got a leg to stand on.

The window we had, any manager in the world would be lucky to have that.
On paper maybe. All excellent players of course, but only Varane was positionally a priority position. Lots of fans and pundits alike were crying out for a central midfielder in the summer, I felt and still think we need two (maybe even three considering who we need to move on). So signing Sancho when we already have Greenwood and ROnaldo when we already have Cavani....doesnt reall solve the gaping problem we have in midfield it only slightly improves what we already have.
I was happy with signing Sancho as thought we would get to see Greenwood given chances up front, ROnaldo signing has scuppered that this season but was desperate for us to sign one of a myriad of good yougn central midfielders out there. This window is already looking like what it did to those without rose tinted glasses, a galatico one that bar Varane, didnt solve our major short term problems

Champ

You do realize, at best it's a leak. He hasn't even come out and claimed it openly. Moreover, why did he not sanction the sale or Lingard/Martial/Donny to get funds to buy a CM.

Oh just realized these posts are wasted on you with your blind faith in him.
Lingard didn't want to go.
No one came in to buy VDB, only loan him, and no one came in to buy Martial.
Hard to sanction sales when there isn't any!!

But again, when a narrative clouds ones view, it's hard to see the truth I guess.

Siezard

It is now obvious that Ole had the following plan:

1. Get 11 world class players.
2. Play them every game.
3. Ask them to "express themselves".
4. Profit!
I don't think Ole is after profit at this point.

He just wants to assemble the strongest squad and wins all games like an in-game football manager.

He refuses to sell Mata, Jones, Pogba, Lingard, VDB because they all can be an option on the bench so he's keeping them all.

Then he bought other players to be in U21 so that they can add even more depth. Eg Amad, Pellestri. Then he signed many young players for new contracts while the better ones like Angel Gomes knows something is wrong and quickly leaves the club.

Unhappy his masters only gave him Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo :lol:

If he had an actual system that desperately required a new CM, he’d have vetoed Sancho and focused on that area instead. He’s been backed to the tune of 441m in 3 years, that’s almost as much as Klopp has been given in 6 whilst taking them from 30 years of crap to the best team in Europe.

You see, take Pep, he has a system he knows can work without a CF, that’s why he’s sanctioned Grealish and is now in his second season without one of note. He’s not serving up shit on a stick football because he doesn’t have a WC player in all 11 positions. Top managers prioritise signings in the positions most vital to their system. Not sanctioning a 3rd left forward (Sancho, Martial, Rashford), or a 4th attacking mid (Bruno, DvB, Pogba, Lingard).

Something that always amuses me with those who still back Ole to the hilt is the Pogba situation, he’s either a top class midfielder, therefore what’s Ole’s excuse for the midfield being so wank? else he’s an attacking mid Ole has kept around for 3 years whilst buying other players for his best position (Bruno, DvB) and attempting to instead force him in a midfield role.

The Pogba situation, the DvB one and the Sancho signing are concrete evidence that Ole hasn’t seen CM as a priority for 3 years, yet suddenly that’s all he needs to make this clusterfeck suddenly look like an incredible cohesive football team. It’s laughable.

Prioritising like that would require having an actual fecking system though rather than just acquiring good players and hoping it’ll all work out.

Last edited:

EatableTea

Honestly if you take off the rose tinted glasses Ole’s been a total failure. The one thing people praise him for is “rebuilding” the team. He’s spent 400M very badly to be honest. Maguire is a good player but let’s be honest he was massively overpriced and the transfer looks worse by the day. He’s bought a RB that is below average offensively which effects build up big time. Bought a promising young midfielder for 40M who doesn’t even play and now whos just wasting his career. He’s had the time and funds to buy a holding midfielder but he chooses to wait a season to go for Rice, by the looks of things he won’t even be in the job to buy him so he’s essentially wasted the season and his job. The guys clueless.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I know, mate, but, even when fit, I feel like he should be getting more of a look in. I know he's young and has temperament issues, but I think he's one of those talents that would take to first team football like a duck to water. In a few months he'll be 19 and I don't think that's too young to be getting first team opportunities when you factor in his talent and the state of our midfield.

If we don't end up signing a cm in January, I'd give Galbraith a shot when he returns from Doncaster, too. What's the harm? It's not like we're winning trophies or playing entertaining stuff with any of our current options. We're not even secured defensively either. Maybe, in the long run, we'd benefit from giving a Galbraith or Mejbri game time because I don't think dropping either in the first team will effect our season too much. If Ole stays, that is.
I think he probably will do this season, if Pogba gives no intention in Jan of resigning, then we'll probably promote him permanently - provided he's fit.

I think we'd probably give Garner a go before Galbraith, but agree with the sentiment. I think Ole is in a catch 22, he's trying to remain loyal to players, giving them chances - but he's not being repaid. I have said before, he's putting faith in the wrong players and it will probably be his downfall.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
A centre midfielder was what we were crying out for but that doesn't excuse how disjointed the team plays. Plenty of other managers have built a more cohesive unit with lesser players in their teams.

Besides, he was bought a centre midfielder last season. I bet Graham Potter or Brendan Rodgers would be able to integrate a CL semi finalist Ajax educated centre midfielder in their respective teams.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
They most likely said you bought a midfielder already, bloody play him first. Like a spoilt child who wants a new toy as soon as it got a new one

FattyFooty

A central midfielder was more important than Sancho or Ronaldo, and it isn't new to anyone, fans have been calling for a CM for years.
If you get a Ronaldo, Messi or Neymar player going. That is very imoprtant. Very ..

Our problem is the Van Beek, Telles and Bissaka signings that are expensive and dont take us anywhere. Or all our players on high wages that dont play.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm not sure I even agree with the narrative anymore that OGS has succesfully "rebuilt" the team. What he has done is spent money that was available to him but anyone of us could add new players to the squad.

It is when you start to analyse the transfer reasoning rather than get caught up in the hype that it all seems to fall apart a little.

We are overloaded with options up front and under served with options in midfield.

McT, Fred and Matic are all competing for the double pivot positions (a tactic that OGS thus far has been wedded to). Up front, we have Rashford (inside left), Martial (inside left), Cavani, Ronaldo, Sancho, Fernandes, Lingard, Mata, Greenwood and Pogba...............and DVB (forgot about him). That is 11......ELEVEN attacking players and only 3 defensive/holding midfielders
We also spent decent whack on young forwards Pellestri and Amad.

wolvored

It's not a contradiction. He doesn't dictate how much a player is bought or sold for - that's all I'm saying.

If you look at the Pellistri and Diallo deals you'll see they aren't just flat transfer fees. It's the add-ons stipulated clauses that rack up the fee. I think combined up front was something like £20m and I'd struggle to think what defensive midfielder Ole could have brought in for the same amount who would be worth their salt. He likely only knew his budget for that summer, and it's not a case of "I have £50m so I should spend all of it now". There was a portion of last summer's budget that is transferred to this summer (in the form of Sancho).

Anyway, the point I'm making is, he will agree or disagree to certain players but he doesn't decide the fee or the add-ons. These examples are longer term targets that the scouts would had heavy input on when deciding worth. We can blame Ole for 101 things, including VDB, but beating him with a stick for Pellistri and Diallo seems bizarre.

The initial post I replied to implied Ole himself bought the players and its a one man show - it read something like "how much did he spend on Pellistri/Diallo etc." Obviously these players had input from other influential club members too. It's not just Ole storming into Woody's room saying he HAS to get them in.
Ole himself has said he has final veto on players coming in or going out. So either he is a liar, or he has his hand in every transfer in or out. Either way he doesnt come out in a good light.

leon24

Even if we signed another two of his top choices in the transfer window, we’ll still be where we are in the table and probably worse.
This guy is a fraud. For the good of not tarnishing his “legendary” status, he should just leave the post.

CloneMC16

We also spent decent whack on young forwards Pellestri and Amad.
Those two signings baffle me. We had clear needs and spent money on two players that were too young to offer us anything, and play the exact same position. I get buying players for the future, but our first XI needed new signings immediately.

20/21 summer was completely wasted. We could have bought a midfielder with that money.

SuperiorXI

He's acting like the posh kid with all the gear and no idea now. He should have been able to come up with a workable system had he been a Manchester United quality coach. Trouble is he plainly isn't that quality. The sooner the board realise the better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole himself has said he has final veto on players coming in or going out. So either he is a liar, or he has his hand in every transfer in or out. Either way he doesnt come out in a good light.
He has a veto on players but he doesn't decide the add ons or transfer fees. No one is debating whether he was against bringing Pellistri and Diallo in.

Champ

Unhappy his masters only gave him Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo :lol:

If he had an actual system that desperately required a new CM, he’d have vetoed Sancho and focused on that area instead. He’s been backed to the tune of 441m in 3 years, that’s almost as much as Klopp has been given in 6 whilst taking them from 30 years of crap to the best team in Europe.

You see, take Pep, he has a system he knows can work without a CF, that’s why he’s sanctioned Grealish and is now in his second season without one of note. He’s not serving up shit on a stick football because he doesn’t have a WC player in all 11 positions. Top managers prioritise signings in the positions most vital to their system. Not sanctioning a 3rd left forward (Sancho, Martial, Rashford), or a 4th attacking mid (Bruno, DvB, Pogba, Lingard).

Something that always amuses me with those who still back Ole to the hilt is the Pogba situation, he’s either a top class midfielder, therefore what’s Ole’s excuse for the midfield being so wank? else he’s an attacking mid Ole has kept around for 3 years whilst buying other players for his best position (Bruno, DvB) and attempting to instead force him in a midfield role.

The Pogba situation, the DvB one and the Sancho signing are concrete evidence that Ole hasn’t seen CM as a priority for 3 years, yet suddenly that’s all he needs to make this clusterfeck suddenly look like an incredible cohesive football team. It’s laughable.

Prioritising like that would require having an actual fecking system though rather than just acquiring good players and hoping it’ll all work out.
Pogba is world class, there is no doubting that, this United team miss him when he's not available.

I think it's obvious we were after a midfielder this window, just a viable target was never found, be that due to price or just teams not wanting not sell.
The Sancho deal was always going to happen, and I'd wager he starts more on the right now Rashford is back.

I think people are finding any stick they can to beat Ole with, 'he didn't buy a midfielder' has now become 'he's annoyed he didn't buy a midfielder...excuses'.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bit of an empty statement. We spent 2 years chasing Sancho INSTEAD of prioritising a midfielder and now Ole has Sancho he has completely predictably not solved any of the team's issues.

Either we have a bottomless budget and endless resources to go around chasing as many players as we want (in which case we'd have signed a fecking midfielder by now), or Ole clearly had his priorities elsewhere

Smores

It's a pathetic leak if it has come from Ole's camp. It's probably just bullshit though.

After his spend and activity It's a completely ridiculous take but one we've seen many on here try in deflection. The same ones who will claim it now were excusing the lack of signing as no one was available. All the talent out there and only a player like Rice for a ridiculous fee will do. Poor Ole

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Those two signings baffle me. We had clear needs and spent money on two players that were too young to offer us anything, and play the exact same position. I get buying players for the future, but our first XI needed new signings immediately.

20/21 summer was completely wasted. We could have bought a midfielder with that money.
Yeah agreed. Now we're super overstocked with attackers and severely lacking quality in midfield. Even if we had money over the summer, the links to Trippier, IMO, was stronger than our links to a DM. Maybe that was because we have eyes only for Rice?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As soon as Pogba goes and we replace him with a midfielder who actually fits the team, things will be vastly improved. And I’m not hating Pogba. It is what it is.

We will, of course, offer him a new contract and continue to have to fit square pegs in round holes because big names who sell shirts matter more to this club.

CloneMC16

Yeah agreed. Now we're super overstocked with attackers and severely lacking quality in midfield. Even if we had money over the summer, the links to Trippier, IMO, was stronger than our links to a DM. Maybe that was because we have eyes only for Rice?
Yeah, the links to Trippier were strong. We probably would have bought him if the price was reasonable. I feel like the only midfielder we had any links to was Camavinga. It did seem like he didn't want to come here and wanted to go to PSG or Madrid. Rice wasn't realistic with the figures that West Ham were talking about at the end of last season. Not after buying Sancho for £74m.

If Ole somehow still finds himself as manager next summer, I'm sure we will go all in for Rice.

youmeletsfly

So, his major transfers are kinda like:
- 90 mil on a 40 mil defender
- 50 mil on a 20 mil right back
- 40-50 mil on DVB
- some mil on Bruno
- 80 mil on a lw when we were lacking a RW actually
- new CB that improves both on Lindelof and Maguire but seems to work out better paired with Lindelof
- shitload of money on CR7's salary (let's be honest, class player, will bring in the goals, but he wasn't needed, it's all a PR stunt)

Basically, the only transfer that can be classed as a bang on success is Bruno. (Arguably, for some of the others it's early, but point still stands)

Who in the feck gives you 50-70mil for a CM when you basically banged on 1 out of 7 expensive transfers (let's say two considering that Varane is fecking class and, most likely, the best player in this team by a mile)?
Now he comes out in the press wanting to keep Lingard as he's a "very important player". We should be making money, not losing it on players like Jesse fecking Lingard. (I see the idiots extending his contract and him stealing a living for another 3-4 seasons at OT).

The only one he should be unhappy with is himself.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Entirely his own fault.
If he wanted a midfielder so badly, why did he bring in a fourth goalkeeper, refuse to let VdB or Martial leave on loan, make promises to Lingard so he would turn down offers to stay at the club, and offer Mata a new contract for literally no reason?
Fully agreed, but you forgot to mention Matic being retained too, even Bailly for that matter.
There is no way that Ronaldo being signed scuppered a major incoming MF target, because it was simply too late in the window to have began to negotiate a deal, for someone such as Rice, for an example. In short, a MF was not seriously on the agenda.

Solskjaer went public stating the usual blurb, "happy with what we've got" blah blah blah.
I said at the time, this could cost Solskjaer his job, and that looks as though it might just be true.
Going into a new season with a central Midfield of Matic, Mata & McFred was never going to drive a title challenge, and its no good Solskjaer now saying he wanted a Midfielder.
Instead of the "happy with what we've got" line, he should have said "we want a Midfielder, and we are trying our hardest to get the right player, but it's not easy, and it might not happen"...

Champ

Ahead of Greenwood? I doubt it in current form.

And what does ”always going to happen” mean? If a CM is a priority, the manager should obviously veto it.
Feck me, this is like pulling teeth :lol:

Tell me what CM we could have got, what realistic targets were available?
That's the reason we didn't get a CM, there were none available at a realistic price.

Murtough is there to make sure the transfer targets have value and are realistic, so there's a good chance Ole didn't even get a chance to veto any option.

NK86

But again, when a narrative clouds ones view, it's hard to see the truth I guess.
Moyes clearly called it out that Ole told him Lingard isn't for sale. So you don't want to see the truth it seems.
Was Donny in the transfer list? You think we couldn't have found a club for him.

How about not renewing the contract for Mata or not splurging on two kids last season when we were as desperate for midfielder as we are now.

The amount of backing which Ole has received, most managers dream about it. Klopp got just 1CB in. Do you see him struggling or whining about it?

It's absolutely baffling how some will just drink up whatever kool aid which Ole is selling to save his hide.

Cloud7

It's funny isn't it? That label is thrown at Pep, who signs players and goes on to dominate everywhere he goes. Ole spends more money than almost everyone else, his only solution is to sign more players, we're still crap, but apparently when he does it it's a cultural reset and bringing back the spirit of United :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Even after witnessing the shower of shit he's serving while managing us(spending half a billion and with top players at his disposal), its certain that "back Ole blindly" narrative has clouded your judgement.

I guess people are welcome to keep their heads buried in sand!

Champ

Moyes clearly called it out that Ole told him Lingard isn't for sale. So you don't want to see the truth it seems.
Was Donny in the transfer list? You think we couldn't have found a club for him.

How about not renewing the contract for Mata or not splurging on two kids last season when we were as desperate for midfielder as we are now.

The amount of backing which Ole has received, most managers dream about it. Klopp got just 1CB in. Do you see him struggling or whining about it?

It's absolutely baffling how some will just drink up whatever kool aid which Ole is selling to save his hide.
A manager changing the story on a player rejecting his club ... who'd have thought :lol:
Lingard never expressed desire to leave, in fact several stories came out regarding Lingard wanting to stay at United and prove himself. The fact that Ole said he wasn't for sale may well have had something to do with Lingard not wanting to leave, but again that doesn't fit with the way a lot of people on here think.

Donny had Everton in for him, so yeah we found a club, but only on loan. No one wanted to buy him outright. And that loan would benefit no one.

I feel you have let your anti Ole sentiments have clouded any sense regarding this situation we are in.
Seems like everyone stated that we should have brought a CM, yet when Ole states this it's all his fault, despite the complete lack of obtainable options based on what the recruitment team found.
Just seems like another thing to beat Ole with despite it not really being Oles fault. Like everyone has entered some mad frenzy of Ole bashing and ignoring any sense or realism.

Don't get me wrong, Ole is underachieving right now, but some posts on here are beyond comprehension!

SirScholes

I'm confused by the comments in this thread, are we now saying we didn't need a CM? Because I thought there was an overwhelming agreement that we did need a DM and it was naive not to buy one.
We need one to be one of the best teams in the world and win the CL

we don’t need one to beat villa Everton and avoid a spanking by Leicester