Ole post match rant vs Everton

Grump

Your post is pathetic and embarrassing.

If you can't see there is an issue with the sheer amount of games the players have to play and the stupid scheduling then you're either a complete nincompoop or your hatred for Ole is blinding your opinion. Probably both I reckon
You should check the link before commenting ;)

Doracle

Absolutely brilliant speech from Ole. The type of thing that every United fan should be proud to see from our manager. Calling out something which is blatantly wrong in a measured, yet passionate, way. Wonderful to watch.

RedRover

Maybe so but Klopp and Guardiola have just backed him and made similar complaints after their match today. As for being critical to the players to the media I think it's bad form but I know a lot of the top managers do. Jose comes to mind. I just don't think players respond well to it in general.
Again, for me, missing the point. The scheduling is a pain, I accept that - it's his reaction to it I question. It is something which has always been an issue. People are talking about whether (or when) he's going to lose his job and he's getting angry about a standard fixture pile up. Looks like a clumsy attempt at misdirection or a man feeling the pressure.

Re the latter point, that's where we disagree. There's a difference between calling out individuals (as Mourinho often does, with often toxic consequences) and digging out the team in public overall, when it's due.. Some of the performances this season have been disastrous, last Wednesday being the latest example. Some honesty is required.

It is good to see some passion from him for once, but bizarre to see it directed at such a random issue.

matsdf

Again, for me, missing the point. The scheduling is a pain, I accept that - it's his reaction to it I question. It is something which has always been an issue. People are talking about whether (or when) he's going to lose his job and he's getting angry about a standard fixture pile up. Looks like a clumsy attempt at misdirection or a man feeling the pressure.

Re the latter point, that's where we disagree. There's a difference between calling out individuals (as Mourinho often does, with often toxic consequences) and digging out the team in public overall, when it's due.. Some of the performances this season have been disastrous, last Wednesday being the latest example. Some honesty is required.

It is good to see some passion from him for once, but bizarre to see it directed at such a random issue.
This season is not comparable to any other season. Your point of "always been an issue" does at leat not to me make any sense now. In this situation we should've never ever ever had to play Wednesday - early Saturday.

sugar_kane

In case it hasn't been shared, there's an interview on the United site which covers similar content but he goes into a bit more detail that's worth a watch

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...cts-to-everton-1-man-utd-3-on-7-november-2020

He implies that the scheduling was for "entertainment" purposes ie, let's see United lose to generate even more headlines.

Agree with most of the people on this thread - good to see some fire from Ole, and this is exactly what other top managers would be saying at this point. No need to play nice all the time with the press because they've hardly been kind to him.

Smores

Did we only learn about this scheduling on the day or something? If we didn't think it was tenable we could have done more about it than bitch after a game.

It's just distraction and excuses, which is fine that's Ole's job.

Harold_Giles

Did we only learn about this scheduling on the day or something? If we didn't think it was tenable we could have done more about it than bitch after a game.

He actually did say that we had asked for this game to be rescheduled to Sunday a while ago.

Himannv

I think it's fair enough that he's angry. He just lost a couple of his first teamers and I noticed him talking to Rashford after the game about the shoulder and he wasn't happy. I think it's fair that he brought up the fixture list because whoever did the scheduling could have easily just set up that game for Sunday instead and it would have been. I mean, at least make it a late kickoff and I think there'd be less complaints. Klopp and Pep have said something similar about the number of subs allowed and backed him up as well.

Himannv

He's mentioned it before. Also, a distraction and excuse from what? We won the game.

Smores

He's mentioned it before. Also, a distraction and excuse from what? We won the game.
I was talking at a club level really, the top clubs have plenty of power to put in place a system to support fixture congestion. I've not heard anything about them being defeated on any votes but i could be wrong.

A distraction from the existing narrative of our poor start to a new media story. It's not all about one game.

mark_a

Good on him. He's not cracked, you get mic stuck in your face just after a game & it's a moment in time. Perfectly justified point - why was the game a day and half earlier than it needed to be?

As we can see from the Arsenal result (and perhaps more significantly, the performance) Ole is getting treated differently to the other younger managers. If we win our game in hand we go above them, yet no hint of crisis at Arsenal or the press parading a replacement around. I get that it's us & we'll get more pressure/focus cos we're United, but the press agitation against Ole is crazy. We're inconsistent, not awful. The good performances are always ignored, with focus on the bad ones, but the context is that all teams are inconsistent to one degree or another at the moment. City unconvincing, Arsenal worse than us, Chelsea have racked up some decent results, but it wasn't long since they were proper inconsistent. Only Liverpool look the most likely at the moment & that's cos they have masted the art of getting a result despite performing badly. Our 3 losses have been disastrous this season, games you absolutely shouldn't be losing. But if we'd won all 3 we'd be top. Won 2 of them we'd be 3rd or 4th. You'd think we were in a relegation battle listening to some of the crap pundits and internet fans.

Give Ole time ffs. Why not? If you get your Poch, it won't be plain sailing all the way, and in rough times you'll say "back him" "give him time" etc.. Why note Ole? Lampard, Arteta etc... why not? He's got a coaching team, it's not just him showing them Youtube videos of his goals you know!

Himannv

I was talking at a club level really, the top clubs have plenty of power to put in place a system to support fixture congestion. I've not heard anything about them being defeated on any votes but i could be wrong.
If you read the statements from the managers, you'll see that it's exactly what they're all trying to do. The buzzwords for the week are "player welfare". They got outvoted on the 5 subs thing and now they're pushing back.

A distraction from the existing narrative of our poor start to a new media story. It's not all about one game.
In terms of the media narrative pertaining to Manchester United, I'm afraid it's all quite fickle and it is indeed all about one game. The headlines are "Bruno Fernandes eases pressure on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer" and similar.

Your post is pathetic and embarrassing.

If you can't see there is an issue with the sheer amount of games the players have to play and the stupid scheduling then you're either a complete nincompoop or your hatred for Ole is blinding your opinion. Probably both I reckon
I suggest you read my other posts.

you realise I’m a big supporter of Ole? The post was clearly sarcastic, as it was Klopp talking about the same things OGS did. It was to highlight that our plastic fans will jump on anything the manager says, and yet 24 hours later Klopp is giving out the same message.

glad to see you are supporting the manager though, and I looking forward to your reply.

DRM

I suggest you read my other posts.

you realise I’m a big supporter of Ole? The post was clearly sarcastic, as it was Klopp talking about the same things OGS did. It was to highlight that our plastic fans will jump on anything the manager says, and yet 24 hours later Klopp is giving out the same message.

glad to see you are supporting the manager though, and I looking forward to your reply.
Yep, sorry my bad, didnt click the link in your post!

Pablo76

Good on him. He's not cracked, you get mic stuck in your face just after a game & it's a moment in time. Perfectly justified point - why was the game a day and half earlier than it needed to be?

As we can see from the Arsenal result (and perhaps more significantly, the performance) Ole is getting treated differently to the other younger managers. If we win our game in hand we go above them, yet no hint of crisis at Arsenal or the press parading a replacement around. I get that it's us & we'll get more pressure/focus cos we're United, but the press agitation against Ole is crazy. We're inconsistent, not awful. The good performances are always ignored, with focus on the bad ones, but the context is that all teams are inconsistent to one degree or another at the moment. City unconvincing, Arsenal worse than us, Chelsea have racked up some decent results, but it wasn't long since they were proper inconsistent. Only Liverpool look the most likely at the moment & that's cos they have masted the art of getting a result despite performing badly. Our 3 losses have been disastrous this season, games you absolutely shouldn't be losing. But if we'd won all 3 we'd be top. Won 2 of them we'd be 3rd or 4th. You'd think we were in a relegation battle listening to some of the crap pundits and internet fans.

Give Ole time ffs. Why not? If you get your Poch, it won't be plain sailing all the way, and in rough times you'll say "back him" "give him time" etc.. Why note Ole? Lampard, Arteta etc... why not? He's got a coaching team, it's not just him showing them Youtube videos of his goals you know!
This is a really great post and for me covers every area that’a currently under scrutiny.

Fully agree too, I’m not happy with how things are either but there is no quick fix and I think we are fine right now. 2 or 3 more signings, of which Ole has shown he has recruitment pretty much nailed, and we’ll be flying high again.

AshRK

How is it distraction and excuses when other managers have also said the same. His moaning about the fixtures even before the game would have been a disaster. Him speaking and sharing his frustration after we win doesn't come out like an excuse but just pure fact.

Don't Kill Bill

I think the complaint is fair enough but the football clubs decide on who gets the TV contracts, if they have a problem with 12:30 kick offs after Wednesday European away matches then that should be dealt with at the contract stage. Don't take the money and complain about the result.

Gator Nate

Klopp and Pep know very well that the exact same thing could happen to their teams at any moment in time. Klopp complained about the scheduling last year. Pep, I believe, has done the same. I won't be surprised if Lampard and Rogers get in on it, too. Ole put this out at the right time and, for me, it's just another show of how he understands how to handle the press and the narrative, which is another part of the job. He was a bit beside himself because he did lose two starters. I thought his reaction was great.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He was angry despite the win, it's definitely good sign rather than celebrating after winning a throw in.

Client6

Good man.

The fact that we have some absolute onions trying to twist this into something they can moan about is utterly pathetic.

I think they view this as some kind of transaction. They "pay" with their "support" and expect success in return. When its not being delivered, they act like a bunch of Karens in a restaurant
Perfectly put!

I wonder what's the end of goal for such people - is it only engaging in never-ending one-upmanship in front of supporters of rival teams?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I think Shaw tearing his hammy sent him over the line because it was coming.

Get the 5 subs back and be a bit smart about the fixtures. Its not hard to shift a team who are playing away in Eastern Europe to another day. Its not like there are fecking fans who have paid for travel and hotels etc

After the international break there will be much more injury problems as Christmas is going to be mental

Foxbatt

Of course he is under enromous pressure as he is at one of the biggest clubs in the world and nothing has gone right for him much this season so far. He is at 15th position and he has lost to a small club in Turkey and he had to win against Everton or else most probably he could have been sacked. Now to make matters worse he has got injury problems because his players had to play two very competetive game in such a short interval. Flying in the morning is never easy because of the circidian rhythm. Which means the only rest they actually had is Friday night. And to play Saturday at lunch time is ridiculous. He was right in having a rant. Why did not they reshedule it because the next week was the International break?

RedRover

This season is not comparable to any other season. Your point of "always been an issue" does at leat not to me make any sense now. In this situation we should've never ever ever had to play Wednesday - early Saturday.
So when would we play then? Do we play every Sunday after we've played Wednesday? What if we're playing the following Tuesday or Wednesday? They flew back from Turkey, not Australia. They could have flown back Wednesday night, after the game. In my opinion, arguments over schedule in the current climate are largely moot. Football clubs presumably want to play in the numerous competitions that generate their income and continue to rake in their money from Sky. There are lots of games and a finite period of time to play them in. It's not ideal but that's what it is. The world is not operating as it usually would.

My main point however was not what he said, but his reaction personally. Some might call it passion - fair enough. My opinion, he looks like the pressure is getting to him. That's not something, as a fan, I want to see.

RedRover

I think it's fair enough that he's angry. He just lost a couple of his first teamers and I noticed him talking to Rashford after the game about the shoulder and he wasn't happy. I think it's fair that he brought up the fixture list because whoever did the scheduling could have easily just set up that game for Sunday instead and it would have been. I mean, at least make it a late kickoff and I think there'd be less complaints. Klopp and Pep have said something similar about the number of subs allowed and backed him up as well.
I accept that, but as per my post immediately above this in response to someone else, the pressures of timescales are not new, and clubs are more than happy to take the rewards that come with the modern game. Perhaps if the club had gone into the season with a stronger squad, they wouldn't be having these issues. It was scheduled on Saturday because Sky wanted it to be, and as such, that's the way it is. Clubs are happy to take their pound of flesh and all the good that comes with it. The club are aware of schedules, I presume, months in advance.

Lets be clear here - the top clubs want five subs because they generally have bigger squads with more quality. After lockdown, it was clear that the bigger teams could bring much more quality off the bench than others. For me, it shouldn't be allowed since it just takes the richer clubs even further ahead.

Withnail

So when would we play then? Do we play every Sunday after we've played Wednesday? What if we're playing the following Tuesday or Wednesday? They flew back from Turkey, not Australia. They could have flown back Wednesday night, after the game. In my opinion, arguments over schedule in the current climate are largely moot. Football clubs presumably want to play in the numerous competitions that generate their income and continue to rake in their money from Sky. There are lots of games and a finite period of time to play them in. It's not ideal but that's what it is. The world is not operating as it usually would.

My main point however was not what he said, but his reaction personally. Some might call it passion - fair enough. My opinion, he looks like the pressure is getting to him. That's not something, as a fan, I want to see.
I don't see how you can put it down the pressure.

He hinted before the game that if he won he'd talk more about it, meaning it was a calculated point he wanted to make but knew he could only make after a win so as not to be accused of whinging.

Other managers have now rowed in behind him and said he was dead right. Klopp specifically mentioned the Euros and I personally think there will be a lot of players unable to play in the tournament due to the demands of this season.

By the way the game in Turkey was a 4000 mile round trip so no it's not Australia but it's not a walk in the park either.

We're in a completely unprecedented situation and I don't think a little time and thought going into ensuring teams play Wed/Sun or Tues/Sat instead of Wed/Sat when travelling so far is really too much to ask.

Hansa

Lets be clear here - the top clubs want five subs because they generally have bigger squads with more quality. After lockdown, it was clear that the bigger teams could bring much more quality off the bench than others. For me, it shouldn't be allowed since it just takes the richer clubs even further ahead.
Then again, is it the purpose of the Premier League to have the top clubs play either weakened teams or be only 75% fit with their first eleven throughout the season? Yes, it might make for a more interesting league, but with Europe + internationals, the top clubs will be really, really stretched during this compressed season. Time will tell, but the Euros next summer could see some depleted teams after a year of almost non-stop football.

crossy1686

career ending
Condensed season, COVID, 3 subs. He was absolutely right to kick off.

We’ll see more muscle injuries this season then ever before and the scheduling is not helping one bit.

jem

I've never seen him like this, he was absolutely livid. What did people think? He had some valid points but it seems like he's cracked - the pressure is telling.

EDIT:

I get where he is coming from, but unfortunately I can't help but see him channelling Lester Nygaard here, rather than Fergie.

RedDevil@84

Spot on. There is absolutely no excuse to put us up on Saturday afternoon after the Wednesday night CL game. Player health should be important. Not just TV money.

billdrama

In case it hasn't been shared, there's an interview on the United site which covers similar content but he goes into a bit more detail that's worth a watch

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...cts-to-everton-1-man-utd-3-on-7-november-2020

He implies that the scheduling was for "entertainment" purposes ie, let's see United lose to generate even more headlines.

Agree with most of the people on this thread - good to see some fire from Ole, and this is exactly what other top managers would be saying at this point. No need to play nice all the time with the press because they've hardly been kind to him.
I don't think there is anything in the conspiracy about BT wanting United to lose for entertainment value.

In simple terms, Sky have 3 or 4 regular picks each weekend and BT have 1 - BT's is always Saturday 12.30.

Sky normally have first pick and BT normally have second pick.

From the moment the fixtures were announced (before the CL draw had even taken place), it was always highly likely Sky would take Man City V Liverpool with their first pick and BT would take Everton V Man Utd with their second pick, because those were clearly the two most attractive matches.

It was just unfortunate United happened to be away in Turkey on the Wednesday before - if UEFA hd put them at home on the Tuesday instead then there'd have been no issue.

RedRover

I don't see how you can put it down the pressure.

He hinted before the game that if he won he'd talk more about it, meaning it was a calculated point he wanted to make but knew he could only make after a win so as not to be accused of whinging.

Other managers have now rowed in behind him and said he was dead right. Klopp specifically mentioned the Euros and I personally think there will be a lot of players unable to play in the tournament due to the demands of this season.

By the way the game in Turkey was a 4000 mile round trip so no it's not Australia but it's not a walk in the park either.

We're in a completely unprecedented situation and I don't think a little time and thought going into ensuring teams play Wed/Sun or Tues/Sat instead of Wed/Sat when travelling so far is really too much to ask.
I put it down to pressure because it's out of character and the real elephant in the room is that over the previous 7 days everything in the press was about the club allegedly talking to his replacement. Smacks to me of him actually being pissed off about something else, but ranting about this. That's just my opinion. You might disagree.

I'm not going to repeat myself in terms of my views on whether or not the fixture congestion is an issue worth whinging about, because I've set it out above. Again, you disagree and that's fine.

We are in a unprecedented situation - everywhere. With that in mind, and given that clubs happily reap the rewards of what the PL has become in terms of Sky calling the shots, I don't really think that being asked to play at 12.30 on a Saturday, having played on Wednesday night in a place close enough for me to go on my holidays is much more than inconvenient. Giving fans the best games to watch on TV is what keeps the money rolling in to Sky and the clubs (especially when fans cant get to a game). I personally don't see that this exact scenario is much different from what we've seen in past seasons, but even if I was to accept that it is, the clubs knew what was coming and had the summer to sufficiently strengthen their squads to deal with it.

Other managers might well whinge. As above, the top clubs likely want the 5 sub rule back to take advantage of the bigger squads and more money at their disposal.

Jordan_mufc

I put it down to pressure because it's out of character and the real elephant in the room is that over the previous 7 days everything in the press was about the club allegedly talking to his replacement. Smacks to me of him actually being pissed off about something else, but ranting about this. That's just my opinion. You might disagree.

I'm not going to repeat myself in terms of my views on whether or not the fixture congestion is an issue worth whinging about, because I've set it out above. Again, you disagree and that's fine.

We are in a unprecedented situation - everywhere. With that in mind, and given that clubs happily reap the rewards of what the PL has become in terms of Sky calling the shots, I don't really think that being asked to play at 12.30 on a Saturday, having played on Wednesday night in a place close enough for me to go on my holidays is much more than inconvenient. Giving fans the best games to watch on TV is what keeps the money rolling in to Sky and the clubs (especially when fans cant get to a game). I personally don't see that this exact scenario is much different from what we've seen in past seasons, but even if I was to accept that it is, the clubs knew what was coming and had the summer to sufficiently strengthen their squads to deal with it.

Other managers might well whinge. As above, the top clubs likely want the 5 sub rule back to take advantage of the bigger squads and more money at their disposal.
Istanbul is a 4.5hr flight from Manchester. Our game with Istanbul Basaksehir would have finished at around Thursday 1am local time. To then jump on a four hour flight home and then the very next day be on the coach to Liverpool for a tough away game is asking a lot from the players.

That's 1 day of rest/training, then asked to play, not only on a Saturday, but an early kick off. It was absurd and I'm glad to see that Klopp had something to say about it too.

EDIT: Also the players should be receiving all of the empathy for the unprecedented situation that we are in. Without the players the greedy broadcasters have nothing to show. So it isn't in their best interest to run them into the ground.

RedRover

Then again, is it the purpose of the Premier League to have the top clubs play either weakened teams or be only 75% fit with their first eleven throughout the season? Yes, it might make for a more interesting league, but with Europe + internationals, the top clubs will be really, really stretched during this compressed season. Time will tell, but the Euros next summer could see some depleted teams after a year of almost non-stop football.
I'm not sure what that is that based upon?

Champions League clubs have, and always will have additional games to play. The same goes with Europa League sides who play even closer to the weekends and often in the arse end of Europe. Those clubs benefit from doing so not only in terms of playing in the competition, but in terms of increased revenue. For CL clubs that's massive. Those clubs, along with those with numerous internationals, have always had to consider the need for a bigger squad and they have the resources to manage that.

You're right, the pandemic has caused clubs to be stretched. But the reality is football has put itself into such a precarious position in terms of overspending for decades, the show must go on, because if there's no product the whole house of cards comes down and the game as we know it now will implode. That's the fault of the the clubs and those administering the game.