Votes: 3,004 87.8%
  • No - Give him more time

Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirlo'sBeard

I'm shocked tbh. I know the board is incompetent but this is on another level. The players downed tools on Sunday and we've had a number of leaks since then confirming the majority don't want to play under him. Even fecking staff want him out! Yet the club is willing to keep him as manager for the next few games including a big CL game and the derby.

I feel sorry on Ole. I thought Sunday was rock bottom but this will get worse for him.

GBBQ

Who they replace Solskjaer with is a big decision, they should take careful stock of all their options. Which means they should be talking to more managers than just Conte atm, seeing who is interested, what their perspective on the team is and what their plans going forward would be. Even if Conte is who they ultimately go for, taking a little extra time to make sure he's the best available option is fine.
Absolutely this. Conte being willing and available shouldn't be the only criteria we use to pick Ole's successor. We should be opening it up and asking interested managers (of the right caliber) what they would do with this squad, what formation they'd play, how they view the future of players like Pogba, Ronaldo, Cavani, VDB, McFred.

Ideally Murtough has been keeping tabs on managers who are available and ones who we feel are the next big thing and we can now start assessing who is obtainable.

JustAGuest

Conte in 2 seasons won the league and FA Cup.
In his two league seasons Chelsea scored more goals and conceded less. F147 A71

Under our DNA and the United way, Ole in his two full seasons has won nothing. We scored in the league 139 and conceded 80.

Conte is not my first choice but he would be head and shoulders above Ole and wins everywhere he goes. That is surely the most important part for our club, to start winning again.
30 points behind City in his second season. We need to do better if we want to seriously challenge for the league.

Schnappo

With all of the leaks that have come out about the squad having lost faith in Solskjaer, it's hard to imagine how he could take charge of another game - it must be an incredibly hard environment to work in knowing that so many of your squad don't believe in you.

Eddy_JukeZ

I’d wager he’s not getting sacked now. Reports have done a full 180 since yesterday afternoon. Defeat against Spurs could be nightmare for him but I think we will get a result. I’m sticking to my Feb/March for him going
The season is over by then.

We're going to be in a top 4 battle by all accounts if Ole remains the manager.

Legend16

Given that its as obvious as hell that Ole is not skilled enough to be a top manager it appears we are now keeping him in the job cos he's a nice guy. no one can seriously think he's the answer after this. so......he's a nice guy. thats the current standard for manager at United. Clown Club.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It can also be a test of belief. It’s likely that Ole truly believes it in his heart that they are on the verge of a breakthrough. If that is what he strongly believes, then he won’t resign.
If that's true then he's failing to get that across to his staff and players.

fergosaurus

I'm shocked tbh. I know the board is incompetent but this is on another level. The players downed tools on Sunday and we've had a number of leaks since then confirming the majority don't want to play under him. Even fecking staff want him out! Yet the club is willing to keep him as manager for the next few games including a big CL game and the derby.

I feel sorry on Ole. I thought Sunday was rock bottom but this will get worse for him.
It's like a boxing coach not throwing in the towel when his fighter's getting brutally battered and has no hope of turning things around.

Swarup

So with that Athletic article, it sounds like Ole fate is sealed, but yet to secure the new manager signature?

Unlike when Giggs installed as interim for few games after Moyes sacked, Mike Phelan is too integrated part of Ole circle. Sacking Ole, while letting Mike Phelan taking the interim role is worst course of action. Ole and his coaching teams need to be sacked together. Ole is not deserved to be singled out and humiliated alone; nor the influential member of the current coaching staffs should be given authority to manage the players even just for a game or a few. If there would be an interim manager, it has to be a fresh face not actively involved with the current set up.

Of course we want the new manager ASAP, but that's another story, up to whoever in charge of appointing manager (should have been more proactive with all the signs than reacting to latest result, but we have known these men at the club too well by now).
This I agree so much, could not have written any word different than that.

Ole coming out and saying we have a fantastic coaching staff and they demonstrated a no-tactic-what-so-ever against our biggest rivals, is just a huge sackable offence for the whole coaching staff.

the_cliff

Even if we get Conte, who is clearly keen, the best we could hope for is a modest change in 10 days coaching. The problems are structural as much as they are about attitude. Unlike with Jose, there isn’t a horrible toxic atmosphere so we’re less likely we’ll get the big bounce we got when Ole took over. Back then the players looked like they were over the moon just to get rid of the manager, this time I think it won’t be so uplifting.

I don’t think there’s much we can do to improve our chances against Spurs and co. Best we can do is sit tight and play on the counter, a caretaker can take that approach. Offset that against a new manager coming in and starting with two or three defeats, the long term ramifications could be much worse than the loss of the points.
I do agree with you there, will take time to see change. However, I also think that our tactics and shape under Ole are suicidal, if he does stay with the same formation and doesn't go to a back 5 and counter like he did at times in the previous seasons we could get another 5-6 when we play City. I'm not saying Conte would come in and we'd suddenly go toe to toe with City but at least it wouldn't be embarrassing. We really need a result at Atalanta, a draw I'd be alright with but if we play them like we did last game, again, it might get embarrassing.

It's a very sticky situation imo, if we do stay with Ole the next 3 games we can definitely all but kiss the league goodbye. There's also potential of losing against Atalanta and giving the new manager a headache trying to get us out of that group. These next 3 games are pivotal to this season and our season could be over by the time the new manager is in place.

Strelok

It’s funny that Mason has absolutely zero issue with Cavani though and In fact struck up a good partnership so perhaps instead of slating Mason all over the forum we should be questioning Ronaldo a little more (who I love btw!). Greenwood is the present and future of this club and if Ronaldo can’t play with him I know who I’d drop.
That I'd agree with.

Ronaldo is a pure poacher nowaday and he may have 2 years left max. Greenwood is our future, along Rashford. The choice is bloody simple and obvious. SAF made the right choice with Ruud and young Ronaldo. Hope the next manager would do the same.

Mainoldo

You’re completely right. His man management has been absolutely terrible, he has stabbed so many players in the back it’s ridiculous.

Extending Bailly’s and Jesses contract without giving them a chance, buying Donny and not giving him a chance, same with Amad last season, benching Pogba for McFred, the goalkeeper situation is terrible, convincing Cavani to stay to go and buy Ronaldo anyway, Telles not given a chance despite Shaw being awful this season.

The list goes on and on.. the incompetence is unreal :houllier:
Yep. Saturday is going to be a shambles. The only players on his side are Maguire and McTominay by the looks of it. I think he’s lost Shaw now too.

Eddy_JukeZ

He should have been sacked.

The club could have appointed a caretaker until the international break and then brought in Conte if they didn't want him to take over now(presuming he'll take over).

James35

30 points behind City in his second season. We need to do better if we want to seriously challenge for the league.
In a season when City had 100 points. So his really poor second season finisihing on 70 points was still 4 points more than our 3rd place finish under Ole and only 4 points less than our second place finish last season.

We 100% need better than Ole. It doesn't have to be Conte of course but it certainly has to be someone.

LoneStar

It’s funny that Mason has absolutely zero issue with Cavani though and In fact struck up a good partnership so perhaps instead of slating Mason all over the forum we should be questioning Ronaldo a little more (who I love btw!). Greenwood is the present and future of this club and if Ronaldo can’t play with him I know who I’d drop.
I get where Ronaldo is coming from though It's very clear to me that all the players are advised to just shoot as fast as possible, even though there might be teammates who are better positioned to score.

Greenwood was on hot form at the start of the season, cutting inside and just scoring goals. So looks to me like the coaches just asked him to do it every game. His play is also suffering due to this. It's so one dimensional.

He was less selfish in the last couple of seasons. I still remember some counter where he played a killer pass to Rashford. It's coaching if you ask me. He should mix it up a lot more, to make us more unpredictable as well.

JustAGuest

In a season when City had 100 points. So his really poor second season finisihing on 70 points was still 4 points more than our 3rd place finish under Ole and only 4 points less than our second place finish last season.

We 100% need better than Ole. It doesn't have to be Conte of course but it certainly has to be someone.
I agree he would be an improvement on Ole. I'm just not sure he would actually win anything here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Rightfully, Ole should have been sacked now. That's evident.

I'm curious though, do the harshest Caf critics hold themselves to the same standard they do the club? If so I'll meet you down at the yacht club.

Greck

So he stays, flukes a win against spurs and then we’re stuck with him for a few more games! We need someone like Ronaldo to go to the board… that’s how he will get sacked.
you make it sound like it's a remote possibility when this is 100% what is going to happen. Probably a late comeback winner that keeps this farce going strong for another 8 months.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Conte? Welcome to dull football and 10 men behind the ball. In all honestly if Ole doesn't turn it around and i really hope he does, then Rodgers is the only man for me.
You forgot to add trophies to that list.

Lukinho

Again we are going to make an obvious decision to late. If we can get a new coach in we might have the same run as Chelsea last season. There is enough time left

YeahYeah

We must be the worlds dumbest club in terms of how we are run.
Not only was hiring Solskjaer dumb, giving him a new contract, not firing him on time but now youre still holding onto him as hes some managerial God despite losing 0:5 at home to your biggest rival!!! Woah. Words can do no justice.

They said Ole steadied the ship...well.is the ship steady now? Dont think so. 2nd worst moment in our history. Players turned on him despite liking him personally. And we are an embarrassment and a joke in the football world. But our board lives in a parallel universe of some sorts.

What Im saying is FFS have some self respect fire him immediately, the world is watching in disbelief and laughing at you.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seen in the Athletic article he’s been given a chance to rectify his mistakes and try again against Spurs but to that ultimately seems pointless, even if he sneaks a win, which is possibly cause Spurs are rubbish, it’s just prolonging the inevitable. His last chance was against Liverpool, he was already running out of chances once he lost against Villarreal in the EL. Once you’ve lost the dressing room you’re done, I don’t know if there’s a manager in history who’s managed to turn that around.

James35

I agree he would be an improvement on Ole. I'm just not sure he would actually win anything here.
That is the big question. Who will? I like Zidane personally but he seems to have no interest in coming to England anyway. A lot mention Ten Hag, I have no idea how he would cope either. Unfortunately we would probably need Pep or Klopp to beat Pep or Klopp. Tuchel is also showing real quality.

All I know is it's not worth just keeping Ole in place because we cannot find someone who will guarantee us the League/CL. Ole is simply not good enough regardless of latest results.

I'd take an interim manager right now if we have to wait until summer to appoint full time. Not an ex United player though!

YeahYeah

This club is so….what the feck
Theres no words. I cant wrap my head around how people at this club and some fans perceive reality. Its really some sort of a parallel universe they live in. Its bizarre. Dont think something like that exists at any other club.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Staff have also lost faith. I read somwhere (i'll see if I can find the link) carrick and Mckenna are frustrated with him. They plan the training sessions and prepare the team for a 4-3-3. They believe this is the best formation that will give us better control in matches, but Ole and Phelan then decide to do their own thing for match days and stick with the 4-2-4.
Doesn’t sound plausible at all. Firstly Ole and Phelan should be the ones deciding what the team is prepared for. Secondly why would Carrick and McKenna prepare the team for a system that they know isn’t going to be used.

Barthez

No one suggested Stevie Bruce as interim option. Seems sensible if Ole does ultimately go.

The White Pele

He’s a dead man walking but the club won’t swing the axe without a plan for what happens next. And rightly so. I’ve read a lot of people on here calling the club incompetent for not acting yesterday but it would be madness to just sack him without having somebody waiting in the wings.

This isn’t like replacing a washing machine. We are looking for a manager capable of challenging Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel, the best managers in the world, in the short term and taking the club in the right direction for the long term. At most there would probably be 5 candidates in world football to fit that criteria and they would all have jobs.

The only available top class option is Conte and most of the Caf don’t want him. There were also rumours yesterday that the club are understandably concerned he’s not the right fit.

Zidane is seemingly not interested.

So then you’re looking at managers who are already in a job. Moves like that don’t happen in a day and may not happen at all during the season.

Waiting until the summer means we would need a caretaker boss. Again, amongst all the outrage on here yesterday that the club haven’t acted, I’ve not really seen any credible options suggested for who could come and do that. Wenger, maybe. But who else? Who’s managed near the top of the Premier League with big name players that is both available and would accept a short term deal? Or who else has worked at the club and could be a steadying influence in the short term? None that are better than Ole.

So with all the above in mind and also with the context that we only have 3 games between now and Nov the 20th the bloodthirst yesterday for the club to make a reckless decision is barmy.

Ole is gone. We all know it. But we need to make the next move the right one and give Ole the respect he deserves until then.

Hughes35

I think he will be sacked on 7th November after the City Game.

No point in sacking him now and the new manager likely losing against Tottenham + City. Let a new manager come in and hopefully start with wins against Watford + Villarreal.

MUFC OK

These things are the worst.. It was clear that he was implementing a style which took time and personnel. I've seen the same regarding losing the EL etc. Ole cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Klopp.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
1) the board were genuinely convinced in Ole up until this weekend
2) there has been zero contingency planning and now it is crisis mode
3) the board are wary of Conte because of his history of disputing with board / ownership
4) there is a clear lack of obvious candidates to succeeed Ole
5) the board have zero ambition past lining their pockets, this extends as far as Champions League qualification
6) the writing is on the wall for Ole just the wall extends past the horizon
7) the board have a history of allowing rot set far past what is necessary

Makes perfect sense he'll still be in charge this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.