Ole says this season will be used to find next season’s squad

acnumber9

Easy to say that now but I don’t remember that being the story we were sold when he got the job.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
fecking pathetic, he's been a year in charge, he should have had a clear idea this summer what was needed and how to implement those ideas and mould the squad. To coherently convey tactics to our players. We've arguably have not achieved any of the above.
Oh, and don't get me started about his Liverpool quotes -- how it took them a couple of seasons. Klopp reached the Europa League final. CL final the next and it was bloody clear they were going the right direction. We look like the fecking wheel has been ripped out and fecked out the window.

Get him and his delusions out to feck.

RedIan

Ole sounded defeatist in his press conference. What happened to “we are Man United” “ we have great players” and such lines when he bounced in full of smiles... reality hit home. he should be talking about fighting hard and getting top 4 not writing the season off as an experiment. Progression season is in fact regression season. I hate moaning but I’m so disillusioned with watching crap game after game.

peridigm

I don’t get why everyone is freaking out over this statement. It’s the same thing as saying we’re in a rebuild, albeit a little harsher. This was apparent before we kicked the first ball of the season and has become more so as the season progresses. Sometimes you need to tear it down before you build it back up. I’d say Ole is doing a good job at the tear down part.

Lynty

Do you remember in 2015/16 when everyone was shit and it allowed Leicester to stroll the League. Yet Klopp and Liverpool still finished 8th.

They should have sacked him.

RORY65

Do you remember in 2015/16 when everyone was shit and it allowed Leicester to stroll the League. Yet Klopp and Liverpool still finished 8th.

He took over during the season and took them to the League Cup and Europa League finals in the mean time, how is that a fair comparison?

SaintMuppet

‘We have given up till next year’
Just the Xmas present long suffering fans wanted to hear. Nice one Ole!!!

crossy1686

career ending
The seasons over guys, we won't get top 4 now so everyone should be aware they're playing for their futures. For some reason some of the players can't execute gameplans to any acceptable standard at United and Solskjaer's got every right to call make them aware that this season will be used to decide who's good enough for next season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'd like to step in here and remind everyone that this is exactly in tune with Ole's vision for the squad. We are building to compete for titles next season. This season was always going to be about signing the right pieces and identify what kids can take the step up and what players we need to buy in the upcoming windows.

This is the same information in new words.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I can understand what he is thinking but i dont think it is the correct thing to say. I may as well not watch any more United matches so, if the season is a write off.

Hopefully though this means some players are been let go.

Lynty

He took over during the season and took them to the League Cup and Europa League finals in the mean time, how is that a fair comparison?
We're in the semis of the league cup, still in europe and FA. The lesser treble is still on :lol:

People are jumping the gun a little.

Dante

Average bang
"Buck up and show some effort. Or you won't be in the squad next season"

That's his message to the players.

It's as much of a motivational statement as anything.

RORY65

We're in the semis of the league cup, still in europe and FA. The lesser treble is still on :lol:

People are jumping the gun a little.
:lol: That is fair although this is his first full season. I actually agree with most of what he's saying, we were obviously well short coming in to the season and I think he's generally done ok-ish but it's frustrating that this should have been the way we used the second half of last season. I can't shake the feeling that we're placing a lot of faith in this nebulous long term plan under Solskjaer and Woodward that I'm not convinced is ever going to come to fruition (albeit Ole probably deserves a bit more time to show that either way).

Classical Mechanic

Easy to say that now but I don’t remember that being the story we were sold when he got the job.
To be fair, they've been briefing since last season that things might get worse until they get better given the sheer number of unsuitable players that we had in the squad and rebuilding that's required.

Paxi

"Buck up and show some effort. Or you won't be in the squad next season"

That's his message to the players.

It's as much of a motivational statement as anything.
No way that could have been said during the summer after 3 months of abject performances? Why in the world would a coach need a year to decide who's good enough and who is not.

the chameleon

That was Klopp's first season in charge. He only joined in October of 2015, so he didn't have a summer window to prepare.

Whereas Ole joined December last year. He's already had half a season last year, plus a whole summer window to "find next seasons squad".

It's like he's hiding behind young players, the future, next season. No, we want to challenge for top 4 now. Klopp got top 4 with 76 points in his 2nd season.

Ole is way behind Klopp, plus he plays nothing like him. Even though Woodward is the root of the problem, I'm really beginning to get frustrated.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We don't really know Oles budget in the summer. It's not an easy rebuilding job because we went so long celebrating/rewarding average players and not improving the team/squad. It WILL take time. People don't want to hear it but there will be more changes in the summer and that's life. I think Ole will have failed only if he lets certain players off who have not pushed on this season. We need a number of improvements but that's also the scouts job and also the boards job - to deliver. Ole didn't make Lingard miss that chance last game. De Geas mistake was just one of those things. We need to get him back to his best. Maguire needs to be more comanding. Shaw needs to push on etc. We should let Ole manage the situation. We have money, buit so do other teams now. It's not so simple. The team off the field, has to function properly and at times we've been questionable. They didn't even back Jose. Someone with greater football experience then most so we need to be realistic about the team/it's age and we need to realize you can't put a bandage on this thing and think there will be a radical change. Most of the squad seemingly back Ole.

Last edited:

R'hllor

People still comparing whole thing with a Klopp, damn.

People shouldnt lose their shit about those articles, survival mode enabled.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
That was so expected, people upstairs give him such a limited options to invest into the squad. Obviously he has to set logical timeframe then. We can't be a City or Real like team who spends 200m in one window without thinking about sales, because our upstairs people don't give that kind of money to our managers anymore.

Lynty

:lol: That is fair although this is his first full season. I actually agree with most of what he's saying, we were obviously well short coming in to the season and I think he's generally done ok-ish but it's frustrating that this should have been the way we used the second half of last season. I can't shake the feeling that we're placing a lot of faith in this nebulous long term plan under Solskjaer and Woodward that I'm not convinced is ever going to come to fruition (albeit Ole probably deserves a bit more time to show that either way).
Ye i agree.

To be honest, I never for a second thought he'd take us to the top. But this long term 'plan' he has, will leave us in a better position when he leaves - whether that is this season or next. The same can't be said of LVG and Jose, who left the squad in a shambles, squandered finances and damaged the progression of players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I wish he stops saying all these, not sure what is the point of this. No Manutd fan would be happy with giving up on this season already with the excuse of " we are using this season to build for next season".

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I wish he stops saying all these, not sure what is the point of this. No Manutd fan would be happy with giving up on this season already with the excuse of " we are using this season to build for next season".
Not really sure what is being implied in any case, we're in 3 cups and still doing ok in the league. Granted we could be doing better but we still have lots to play for.

Surely what he's implying in any case is that he's properly assessing our young players to work out which ones can be relied on and which need upgrading with transfers?

Lynty

That was Klopp's first season in charge. He only joined in October of 2015, so he didn't have a summer window to prepare.

Whereas Ole joined December last year. He's already had half a season last year, plus a whole summer window to "find next seasons squad".

It's like he's hiding behind young players, the future, next season. No, we want to challenge for top 4 now. Klopp got top 4 with 76 points in his 2nd season.

Ole is way behind Klopp, plus he plays nothing like him. Even though Woodward is the root of the problem, I'm really beginning to get frustrated.
Don't get me wrong. Klopp is the best manager in the world in my opinion. My comment was half in jest.

But we've played most the season with 2 midfielders and there's still a long way to go with everything (but the title, if that was ever in contention) to play for. People need to chill a little.

AFC NimbleThumb

So when we went into freefall last season & he said the same thing, what went wrong?

The man is a mouthpiece for an inept system & utilises his ‘fan favourite’ status to take the piss out of the fans at every turn.

Paxi

That's exactly it. I would go along with what he's saying but we're not seeing any identity on the pitch. We're aimless. I mean with LvG you could instantly see in preseason that we were working on possession. Rodgers, for instance, got instant results in terms of tactics. What are we seeing to warrant him time to rebuild? Also, he's been in charge for year, what the feck has he been doing?

AneRu

The seasons over guys, we won't get top 4 now so everyone should be aware they're playing for their futures. For some reason some of the players can't execute gameplans to any acceptable standard at United and Solskjaer's got every right to call make them aware that this season will be used to decide who's good enough for next season.
Like he said after Everton and ended up keeping most mediocre players and selling off some of the useful ones? We all know that this club won't drop 6 players and bring 6 new players in so by touting this excuse Ole is already writing off the second half of the season and next season too.

After the summer the excuse will be 'we know we need 6 new players but you cant bring them all at once' and write off another season by Christmas, rinse and repeat.

Top 4 this season, with Arsenal, Spurs and us off the rails is open as it has ever been but we are already putting excuses in. I am starting to think that he is not the winner that we thought he was and is as in on the managing the decline with Woodward as anyone.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
fecking pathetic, he's been a year in charge, he should have had a clear idea this summer what was needed and how to implement those ideas and mould the squad. To coherently convey tactics to our players. We've arguably have not achieved any of the above.
Oh, and don't get me started about his Liverpool quotes -- how it took them a couple of seasons. Klopp reached the Europa League final. CL final the next and it was bloody clear they were going the right direction. We look like the fecking wheel has been ripped out and fecked out the window.

Get him and his delusions out to feck.
He's had one transfer window. One. Should we be performing better? Yes. Should he be performing to the level some of our delusional fans expect? No. How can you lot learn so little from the last 5 years of mediocrity? It's burgeoning on petulant ignorance at this point.

In the same breath the same posters will be telling us how incredibly shit all our players are, how the Percy penny strings leading our club won't invest, and yet inexplicably choose to believe they are three mutually exclusive problems.

Can't wait to sack Ole and 6 months down the link hear the same poorly conceived ideas floating around again.

Rajma

That was so expected, people upstairs give him such a limited options to invest into the squad. Obviously he has to set logical timeframe then. We can't be a City or Real like team who spends 200m in one window without thinking about sales, because our upstairs people don't give that kind of money to our managers anymore.
Maybe invest smarter then? Don’t go around chasing Harry feckin Maguire (anyone with the set of eyes could have told you he isn’t going to be a huge improvement and catalyst for us) for £80M all summer when we’re desperate for creativity and goals.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not really sure what is being implied in any case, we're in 3 cups and still doing ok in the league. Granted we could be doing better but we still have lots to play for.

Surely what he's implying in any case is that he's properly assessing our young players to work out which ones can be relied on and which need upgrading with transfers?
That's a valid point, I watched PC and it didn't sound like that.

He was asked about the long journey and how he assess the journey. He said we have reached half way point in the league and we knew it will be ups and downs. Also that this season will be used to find team and squad for next season. Maybe he meant in the way you said it but watching PC it didn't feel that way.

Tbf to him he did say about learning from the set backs this season so maybe you are right.

Nickelodeon

I don’t get why everyone is freaking out over this statement. It’s the same thing as saying we’re in a rebuild, albeit a little harsher. This was apparent before we kicked the first ball of the season and has become more so as the season progresses. Sometimes you need to tear it down before you build it back up. I’d say Ole is doing a good job at the tear down part.
Anyone can do that job.

Dante

Average bang
No way that could have been said during the summer after 3 months of abject performances? Why in the world would a coach need a year to decide who's good enough and who is not.
He did. That's why Sanchez and Lukaku are no longer in the squad.

This statement is a timely reminder that United's transition is going to take more than one transfer window, so the remaining players shouldn't feel as though they've definitively made the cut.

The coaching staff have probably seen that a few players are resting on their laurels in training, but didn't want to single them out (or hurt their already fragile confidence) ahead of their teammates.

TrueRed79

Not this stupid beyond belief analogy again. Always pops up in the Caf from time to time. It was funny at the start but now i find it weird that people can still think it's a relative point of view.

Rockets Redglare

He can feck right off. If he wasn’t so loved by the fans he would’ve gone ages ago, Woodward has played a master stroke in being a club legend in as he knows he can get away with murder without the fans ever really turning on him.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Maybe invest smarter then? Don’t go around chasing Harry feckin Maguire (anyone with the set of eyes could have told you he isn’t going to be a huge improvement and catalyst for us) for £80M all summer when we’re desperate for creativity and goals.
All Ole's signings so far have been great and fit is idea to build our squad in the long term, one of which was Harry.

Hawks2008

He's true, the season is a write-off and likely all seasons under his 'leadership' will be.

AneRu

He's had one transfer window. One. Should we be performing better? Yes. Should he be performing to the level some of our delusional fans expect? No. How can you lot learn so little from the last 5 years of mediocrity? It's burgeoning on petulant ignorance at this point.

In the same breath the same posters will be telling us how incredibly shit all our players are, how the Percy penny strings leading our club won't invest, and yet inexplicably choose to believe they are three mutually exclusive problems.

Can't wait to sack Ole and 6 months down the link hear the same poorly conceived ideas floating around again.
How many has Rodgers had, by the way? Let's not kid ourselves teams aren't just built in the transfer market but also on the training pitch and by using his brain. Lingard has no goal or assist in the league over a calendar year but is Ole's designated starter whilst kids like Greenwood are underused for his benefit, do you think more transfer windows will cure that blindspot and blatant favoritism?