Ole says this season will be used to find next season’s squad

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You are just making assumption that Juve didn't need him as much as we do. They lost Mandzukic and the other two of their forwards are ageing (Ronaldo 34/35 yo) (Higuain 32 yo). While our forwards are still young. Why are we "so desperate" need a raw striker who requires to be further developed when we already have plenty that requires too be developed as well?

The point is that we are not the only one who reject the term but also Juventus. So stop making invalid excuses, every news/journalists said that we refuse to meet the demand. Why is it so hard to understand this?
It's not really an assumption. Juventus have Dybala, Higuian and Ronaldo upfront, all of which are comfortably better to what we have. Mandzukic was rumoured to be a target of ours at one time and he couldn't get a sniff this season with them. They are Serie A winners (we're flirting between 5th place and 9th place), they are still in the CL (we're in Europa league) and they aren't the ones who ended last transfer window selling a 60m rated striker only to end up with no one. Also wasn't Ole vision to buy young hungry players who can be further developed to the United way (whatever it is).

The point is that I can fully understand him turning Juventus down. They had never bought a Norwegian player in their entire history, Mandzukic just left without barely playing this season and he would have probably end up his replacement. Things are slightly different for us. We do need a striker, we have a history with Norwegian players and Ole is Norway's darling, his former manager and his father's former team mate with Norway. Why wouldn't he trust him? Why would he trust an agent he had probably just signed with to him?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's not really an assumption. Juventus have Dybala, Higuian and Ronaldo upfront, all of which are comfortably better to what we have. Mandzukic was rumoured to be a target of ours at one time and he couldn't get a sniff this season with them. They are Serie A winners (we're flirting between 5th place and 9th place), they are still in the CL (we're in Europa league) and they aren't the ones who ended last transfer window selling a 60m rated striker only to end up with no one. Also wasn't Ole vision to buy young hungry players who can be further developed to the United way (whatever it is).
Ole wants to improve and develop players. We have Rashford, Martial & Greenwood to be developed, why are we so desperate to give the agent whatever he wants in the contract term just to sign another raw forward? It doesn't make sense. If there is one between us & Juventus who needs a raw young forward, it'll be Juventus!

Juventus have 2 ageing forwards. They decided to sign De Ligt even though they had good defensive record last season in the league with Chiellini, Bonucci & Rugani, why can't you think Juventus also need to sign a young forward like what they did with their centre back?

The point is that I can fully understand him turning Juventus down. They had never bought a Norwegian player in their entire history, Mandzukic just left without barely playing this season and he would have probably end up his replacement. Things are slightly different for us. We do need a striker, we have a history with Norwegian players and Ole is Norway's darling, his former manager and his father's former team mate with Norway. Why wouldn't he trust him? Why would he trust an agent he had probably just signed with to him?
Your point is ridiculous. Why is it even related to Juve had never bought a Norwegian player?

The point is that you are just making assumption that the players turned down the offer, but so far all the news said the clubs didn't want to meet the demand. There is nothing to backup your point.

devilish

Ole wants to improve and develop players. We have Rashford, Martial & Greenwood to be developed, why are we so desperate to give the agent whatever he wants in the contract term just to sign another raw forward? It doesn't make sense. If there is one between us & Juventus who needs a raw young forward, it'll be Juventus!

Juventus have 2 ageing forwards. They decided to sign De Ligt even though they had good defensive record last season in the league with Chiellini, Bonucci & Rugani, why can't you think Juventus also need to sign a young forward like what they did with their centre back?

Your point is ridiculous. Why is it even related to Juve had never bought a Norwegian player?

The point is that you are just making assumption that the players turned down the offer,ut so far all the news said the clubs didn't want to meet the demand. There is nothing to backup your point.
As said, Juve has 3 strikers who are comfortably better then ours. They got rid of the fourth cause he wasn't getting any games. So there's no urgency in buying strikers. Also we're talking about a club who can make 6-7 signings in summer without breaking sweat. If they feel they need a striker then they will get it. So there's no urgency or risk of starting the season with clear flaws in their first squad. On a side note Juventus produce alot of great youths and has a great relationship with both Atalanta and Parma who produce top players themselves. Just because they aren't desperate enough to need to throw 17 year olds at the deep end that doesn't mean that they don't have kids of their own.

Regarding your second comment. I repeat I can understand a player who is reluctant to join a side whose got 3 strikers that are clearly better then him and had just shedded a striker because he wasn't getting any games. The fact that they never bothered buying a player from his country also suggest that they don't rate that league and its players very much either. Our situation is way different.

Also according to @Acrobat7 there's nothing on German papers that there's a minimum clause or 'ridiculous' demands coming into play which is fair enough considering that Dortmund aren't exactly a poorly run club. Surely the deal they made is worth their while. I guess some club is covering its arse after yet another humiliating NO.

Look you said your piece and I respect your opinion as I respect all those who disagree with me. However while I don't want you to interpret this as me trying to shut you down, you have to admit that we're really going in circles here and we're getting off topic. I genuinely hope you're wrong on this and that there's a horde of top players lining up to join Ole's and Woodward's revolution to greatness. I can't see that unfortunately, not yet anyway.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As said, Juve has 3 strikers who are comfortably better then ours. They got rid of the fourth cause he wasn't getting any games. So there's no urgency in buying strikers. Also we're talking about a club who can make 6-7 signings in summer without breaking sweat. If they feel they need a striker then they will get it. So there's no urgency or risk of starting the season with clear flaws in their first squad. On a side note Juventus produce alot of great youths and has a great relationship with both Atalanta and Parma who produce top players themselves. Just because they aren't desperate enough to need to throw 17 year olds at the deep end that doesn't mean that they don't have kids of their own.

Regarding your second comment. I repeat I can understand a player who is reluctant to join a side whose got 3 strikers that are clearly better then him and had just shedded a striker because he wasn't getting any games. The fact that they never bothered buying a player from his country also suggest that they don't rate that league and its players very much either. Our situation is way different.

Also according to @Acrobat7 there's nothing on German papers that there's a minimum clause or 'ridiculous' demands coming into play which is fair enough considering that Dortmund aren't exactly a poorly run club. Surely the deal they made is worth their while. I guess some club is covering its arse after yet another humiliating NO.
We already have three young forward who still need to be developed. Haland will not be in our starting XI right away if he joins us, his general play is still below Martial. Just like Juventus, we are in no urgency to sign another raw forward by giving whatever the agent is asking in his demand. This is why both clubs withdrew to sign Haland.

Every news/journalists say we refused to meet the term.

You have no proof to backup your assumption that Haland rejected us or our project. You shouldn't be talking about this until you can give us proof for it, until then it is just a big fat lie to create an argument to criticise Ole. Talk fact don't create BS just to console yourself.

devilish

We already have three young forward who still need to be developed. Haland will not be in our starting XI right away if he joins us, his general play is still below Martial. Just like Juventus, we are in no urgency to sign another raw forward by giving whatever the agent is asking in his demand. This is why both clubs withdrew to sign Haland.

Every news/journalists say we refused to meet the term.

You have no proof to backup your assumption that Haland rejected us or our project. You shouldn't be talking about this until you can give us proof for it, until then it is just a big fat lie to create an argument to criticise Ole. Talk fact don't create BS just to console yourself.
Every news/journalist in England might have bought into the narrative but not those in Germany who will have better access to Dortmund and what the deal with them real entails. However that not surprising at all. It's common for us to rubbish players who refuse to buy into our project as them being greedy or asking unrealistic demands. Which is ironic really as we're the ones having the second highest wage bill in European football with little to nothing to show for not the likes of Dortmund.

Oh well we know the drill. We're probably not signing anyone in January then we'll be blaming the Euros 2020 and the tight transfer deadline in summer then by January next we will not sign anyone as Ole's position will probably be shaken only for the new manager to step in next Summer and give the team the 'benefit of the doubt'. We started the season with barely any CMs, no quality RW, no backup upfront and we had been in search for a DOF for 1 and a half year, All past managers has come out saying that at United, business is all that matter and yet....we look shocked if someone suggest that players might be turning down our project or would want a quick get away clause if things go wrong.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Every news/journalist in England might have bought into the narrative but not those in Germany who will have better access to Dortmund and what the deal with them real entails. However that not surprising at all. It's common for us to rubbish players who refuse to buy into our project as them being greedy or asking unrealistic demands. Which is ironic really as we're the ones having the second highest wage bill in European football with little to nothing to show for not the likes of Dortmund.

Oh well we know the drill. We're probably not signing anyone in January then we'll be blaming the Euros 2020 and the tight transfer deadline in summer then by January next we will not sign anyone as Ole's position will probably be shaken only for the new manager to step in next Summer and give the team the 'benefit of the doubt'. We started the season with barely any CMs, no quality RW, no backup upfront and we had been in search for a DOF for 1 and a half year, All past managers has come out saying that at United, business is all that matter and yet....we look shocked if someone suggest that players might be turning down our project or would want a quick get away clause if things go wrong.
I thought I have already said this before that you shouldn't be talking about this until you can give us proof for it, so far the assumption is just a big fat lie to create an argument to criticise Ole. Show us this Germany thing you are blabbering about!! Otherwise, there is no point to keep talking or arguing about it.

I could say the same thing randomly that Juventus with so many top star players like Ronaldo, Dybala and etc couldn't even convince Haland for their project. At the end of the day the proof that we got so far is that other clubs couldn't meet the agent's demand.

Haland will not be our first choice in our starting XI straight away, Martial is still above him overall anyway. I don't see the reason why the club need to be so desperate to sign a raw striker by meeting his agent's demand.

Devilish having a mare here, Haaland has himself a deal that is almost too good to be true. No super club can match it because no super club can agree to a release clause that low.
Haaland at 19 now gets at least 2 years playing & improving in a much less pressured environment and because of the clause, if he does well he’ll have the pick of the football World. It’s a dream scenario for any talented 19 yr old.

crossy1686

career ending
If Ole cannot sell his project to his former player, son of his former team mate and a Norwegian then I struggle to understand whom he can sell his project to. No wonder we are only able to sign British players ie guys who would join this club irrespective of whose managing it
Why would Haaland join us when we offer very little right now, when he can join Dortmund, play Champions League football, develop under less pressure and get a bigger move with a bigger contract in a season or two. We'd insist on tying him down to a performance based contract and could end up being the next Depay. I'm not surprised he took the easier option.

Greck

The worry is Ole was always going to have to rebuild the team without A-list prospects his name and managerial talent can't carry. He needs to do more with less because those couple transfer windows everyone keeps citing won't play out the way some imagine on our current underwhelming trajectory. No promising youngster is coming to carry our slack. The project has to start selling itself on the pitch.

crossy1686

career ending
The worry is Ole was always going to have to rebuild the team without A-list prospects his name and managerial talent can't attract. He needs to do more with less because those couple transfer windows everyone keeps citing won't play out the way some imagine on our current underwhelming trajectory. No promising youngster is coming to carry our slack. The project has to start selling itself on the pitch.
Vidic, Evra, Anderson, Nani, Chichartio, Rafael, Saha, Park, De Laet. None were A-list prospects.
Ronaldo and Rooney were but I'd still fancy our chances at signing the next Rooney, whereas Ronaldo was only ever using us to get to Madrid at some point. That isn't going to change for players from that part of the world.

Greck

Vidic, Evra, Anderson, Nani, Chichartio, Rafael, Saha, Park, De Laet. None were A-list prospects.
Ronaldo and Rooney were but I'd still fancy our chances at signing the next Rooney, whereas Ronaldo was only ever using us to get to Madrid at some point. That isn't going to change for players from that part of the world.
When i think A list youngsters i mean Haalands and Sanchos. You can't expect to build a title winner with only bargain buys. You need 1 or 2 foundational talents. I also don't know why you're listing Fergie's players. We are very aware he was possibly the greatest manager of all time who splurged on top talent as well as being a bargain hunter

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

4th spot is going to be hard but attainable we still have a chance in the FA Cup and the Europa League. Its going to be tricky but we could still come away with s trophy and hopefully Champions League football next season to show for it. Hopefully he is able to find the right players who he thinks will fit the team to take us on to the next level next year.

Greck

Aren’t Liverpool doing exactly that? Firminho, Salah, Mane, Milner, Robertson.
Hell even Fabinho was pretty cheap al things considered.
Mane and Salah weren't exactly Daniel James level before joining pool. They were very ready for the next step. In any case yes teams with great systems and brilliant managers can get by easier (no shade to Ole intended)

Ollie Derbyshire

I'm not arguing with any of that Keefy, never have, never will.

I'm a happy United fan after this December.
Thats the point though Regulus, happy after this December, you are a reactionary fan who changes his mind after every game. You can’t run a football club with that attitude.

You remind me of a Liverpool I sit next to at work, hes wanted to sack Klopp about 10 times over the years, haha.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why would Haaland join us when we offer very little right now, when he can join Dortmund, play Champions League football, develop under less pressure and get a bigger move with a bigger contract in a season or two. We'd insist on tying him down to a performance based contract and could end up being the next Depay. I'm not surprised he took the easier option.
If we go back to the quote from Ole - 'he knows what he wants to do, and he knows what he is going to do' - It suggests that those two things are not the same. I thought it the time that it was an unusual thing to say, and given how this has played out it hints at some pressure being put on the players side to make the move that he did for long term financial reasons.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mane and Salah weren't exactly Daniel James level before joining pool. They were very ready for the next step. In any case yes teams with great systems and brilliant managers can get by easier (no shade to Ole intended)
Salah was very frustrating player and no one thought he would be this good. Liverpool are the good example of "you can build winning team without signing hyped players". Obviously there are exceptions and also Klopp factor.

Mainoldo

If we go back to the quote from Ole - 'he knows what he wants to do, and he knows what he is going to do' - It suggests that those two things are not the same. I thought it the time that it was an unusual thing to say, and given how this has played out it hints at some pressure being put on the players side to make the move that he did for long term financial reasons.
:lol: Comedy gold. Can you break down Ole’s facial expressions now too as he seemed pretty smug when saying this.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
:lol: Comedy gold. Can you break down Ole’s facial expressions now too as he seemed pretty smug when saying this.
How is my inferring something from a quote any different to you determining his facial expression to be smug?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
20 pages on a "quote" taken out of context. Sums up this fanbase perfectly at the moment. Absurd levels of hysteria and toxicity.

Mainoldo

How is my inferring something from a quote any different to you determining his facial expression to be smug?
I don’t know. Which is why I wanted you to analyse it for me. As clearly no-one knows what the hell Ole is talking about. The man said you want believe the level of players that want to play for United (Not verbatim) so your a smart guy to not read into the obvious assumptions when he speaks.