Ole the man manager

Roane

Right this isn't an Ole out type conversation. I think Ole has done what he was initially employed to do, as in steady the ship.

One thing I hear and read a lot, in conversations and forums is Oles brilliant/excellent man management skills. I just want to know how people reach this conclusion.

What can folk point to that shows good man management.

Jibbs

I think he was better suited for Academy role or U23 manager role. Can't see him winning the league.

We need to remember that he got the job only because of his connections with old guard, Sir Alex and class of 92. They have huge influence over media as well. That's why you hardly ever hear him being criticised in mainstream media.

tenpoless

What's shocking to me is that there's such a thing as man manager when the word manager alone already means "the person who supervises/controls/manages a group of people". So what does "man manager" mean? the person who manages a group of people of man? that's sexist to be honest.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is man management is second to none. We’ve already heard shaw say it quite a few times and other players like pogba, Solskjær doesn’t throw his players under the bus, he does it all behind closed doors but to the media he protects them, he puts his arm around his players and doesn’t blame them for every single loss like mourinho use to. This is the reason the players are still playing for him. The minute you turn against your players and call them out to the media every week then that’s when they’ll stop playing for you and want you gone.

youmeletsfly

He improved some of the players and some others seem to be a bit happier than under Jose. He does seem to be a good man manager, good for him, but bad for us that tactically he's useless.

padzilla

Hipster
I am not sure his management of some players like Van De Beek and Romero has been all that to be honest. Arguably Lukaku too, he has been absolutely ruthless with those guys while staying steadfastly loyal to others who are not performing to a higher standard like Martial and Rashford, who has been dire since the turn of the year. Neither De Gea or Henderson showed much in the way of form either but Romero was more or less exiled from the first team set-up.

wolvored

Like every manager he has his favourites, so the likes of Shaw who play regular will talk highly of him. Comparing him to the one before his man management skills are to keep bollockings inhouse. I wonder what VDB and the rest that sit regulrly on the benchthinks of his man mangement skills.

I am not sure his management of some players like Van De Beek and Romero has been all that to be honest. Arguably Lukaku too, he has been absolutely ruthless with those guys while staying steadfastly loyal to others who are not performing to a higher standard like Martial and Rashford, who has been dire since the turn of the year. Neither De Gea or Henderson showed much in the way of form either but Romero was more or less exiled from the first team set-up.
his management of Lukaku was spot on. Everyone (the club, the player, his new club) got what they wanted - see Sanchez as well.

in terms of Romero, I don’t think that’s on OGS. it was clear he wanted to integrate Henderson and Romero was no longer wanted - the club wanted a fee/ wouldn’t let him go to Everton. That’s not got anything to do with OGS.

DVDB - I don’t think we have a clue, and it depends on your own biases about how that relationship is judged. I think we will see next season.

DVDB hasn’t come out and complained, he hasn’t sulked, he hasn’t demanded to leave. So whilst he (I hope) is extremely frustrated about his lack of game time, there’s nothing to suggest this is due to some sort of breakdown in the relationship with the manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is man management is second to none. We’ve already heard shaw say it quite a few times and other players like pogba, Solskjær doesn’t throw his players under the bus, he does it all behind closed doors but to the media he protects them, he puts his arm around his players and doesn’t blame them for every single loss like mourinho use to. This is the reason the players are still playing for him. The minute you turn against your players and call them out to the media every week then that’s when they’ll stop playing for you and want you gone.
Not throwing player under the bus is only good if you can make them perform 100% without it.

Not saying he doesnt.

But being friend and joly alone doesnt make a good man manager. It's about getting 110% from their players at all time. If that can be achieved with praise, good. If not the a hair dryer in the middle of the stadium is how our own SAF did it.

It's not always about keeping it behind the door. Each player is unique there's no one size fits all approach.

Soft players might need an arm on their shoulder, tough feckers like roy keane would take nothing less than a straight to the face no bullshit approach.

A good man manager knows exactly which face he should put on.

GueRed

He's kind of like our Roy Evans.

Ex-player now coach...The players love him, he's a popular figure, has established a positive feeling around the place and will give youth a chance at every opportunity.

He must be given credit for that

I just hope he can delivery the silverware.

the last time we won any sort of silver was four years ago under Jose Mourinho.

We have made some 'progress'...beating Villareal wouldve highlighted that...oh well small margins and all that..

The pressure will be on next season.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Honestly, I think his style of management seems better because we had Mourinho before him. If we didn't have that colossal wanker then I'm not sure we'd be having this conversation.

Unfortunately that was the chip we were dealt and Ole's done a good job getting players back on board - Pogba, Shaw, Rashford in particular. I think even the most fanatical Ole fan though is left wondering if he'll come up with the goods in terms of trophies. It's a question mark over his name for sure and I'm personally excited to see if he delivers after going so close last year (EL at least). It's why I think he deserves 1 (max 2) more years at the helm and if things still aren't improving then we can all part on agreeable terms.

In direct response to the OP - it's evident because we don't have players who look like they fecking hate being here. That very much happened under Mourinho.

abkmufc92

He's an awful tactician so people have come up with this excuse that he's a good man manager so they praise him for something.

tomaldinho1

Honestly, I think his style of management seems better because we had Mourinho before him. If we didn't have that colossal wanker then I'm not sure we'd be having this conversation.

Unfortunately that was the chip we were dealt and Ole's done a good job getting players back on board - Pogba, Shaw, Rashford in particular. I think even the most fanatical Ole fan though is left wondering if he'll come up with the goods in terms of trophies. It's a question mark over his name for sure and I'm personally excited to see if he delivers after going so close last year (EL at least). It's why I think he deserves 1 (max 2) more years at the helm and if things still aren't improving then we can all part on agreeable terms.

In direct response to the OP - it's evident because we don't have players who look like they fecking hate being here. That very much happened under Mourinho.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Question really is, should the players be happy when we're not winning anything. I'd rather they were raging and Ole was more critical (without going full Mou) to be honest. The best man managers keep players on the their toes and get them to perform, get them to give that extra 1% for them etc. I personally feel Ole is too far towards the buddy buddy side of man management when you look at his reluctance to drop/sub big names.

Zen86

This isn’t another Ole out type conversation, but this is very much intended to be another Ole out type conversation. Just what we needed.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

More like where does the opinion come from he's a bad tactician?

We've gone from 3rd to 2nd, got to a European final, several semi finals, he has peps number it seems and has beaten most of the up and coming 'trendy' managers when he gets the opportunity against them and we score a decent amount of goals.

He's a good manager, we're in safe hands with Ole.

CG1010

What's shocking to me is that there's such a thing as man manager when the word manager alone already means "the person who supervises/controls/manages a group of people". So what does "man manager" mean? the person who manages a group of people of man? that's sexist to be honest.
You are overthinking it. When you want to say X is not great at many aspects of football management like coaching, tactics etc,. but handles his players well, you can say "man manager". At best you could say people manager but as Ole manages a men's football team, it's ok to say man manager

IrishRedDevil

Man management involves proper use of the subs.

Ole is very poor at making subs. He keeps underperforming players on the pitch, while the subs watch and surely become de-motivated. Subs are often given a measly 5 minutes which is pathetic.

If United are to improve, it will surely require better use of the squad..

Sweet Square

This isn’t another Ole out type conversation, but this is very much intended to be another Ole out type conversation. Just what we needed.
:lol:

Pretty much.

Hello insane reactionary football forum I've heard some positives thing about our manager but I can't see any of it. Help please ?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Right this isn't an Ole out type conversation. I think Ole has done what he was initially employed to do, as in steady the ship.

One thing I hear and read a lot, in conversations and forums is Oles brilliant/excellent man management skills. I just want to know how people reach this conclusion.

What can folk point to that shows good man management.
https://thesportsrush.com/his-man-m...ole-gunnar-solskjaer-for-reviving-his-career/

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/0...nnar-solskjaers-man-management-skills-214474/

He added: “Personally, he’s encouraged me to go forward with confidence and express myself, and prior to the recent lockdown I think my attacking game was definitely improving.” - Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Rashford spoke of Solskjaer’s impact while he was still in his caretaker role. Acknowledging the encouragement he had received from Solskjaer, Rashford told Manchester Evening News in January 2019: “I think that’s the key, we haven’t had chance to work on it proper yet, but just having those words around you it makes a difference, and I want to improve and keep learning.” - Marcus Rashford

Martial recently told Canal+: “He [Solskjær] sent me a message, he said, ‘Do you want to take your No.9 shirt back?’ “I straight up said yes! I said yes and he told me, ‘Now it’s up to you to show me [that you deserve it] every time you’re on the pitch.’” - Anthony Martial

He added: “I feel physically strong. I play with a lot of confidence and that’s very important for me. It’s also important when your coaches trust you and the manager trusts you and he says positive things about you. That’s only what matters.” - Nemanja Matic

“Football is not just played on the pitch, it’s also about all the things that go on around the game, the things that people don’t see. And he is someone that gets that and it helps the team a lot. Besides being a coach, he’s just a normal person. “I would say like an uncle, and having someone like that in the club gives the players more strength.” - Eric Bailly

“His man-management skills are very good. He’ll let players know what’s happening, and as players that’s all you can ask for. “You just want a manager to be honest with you, and that’s exactly what he gives you.” - Phil Jones

“It is a lot easier. He knows how people feel when in certain times and he knows how to help the individual adapt to the circumstances. “For me he has been fundamental. We have had a sit down, we have talked about my future and what destinations I want to be reaching, and he has been really good to me.” - Axel Tuanzebe

During the interview, he said the following about Solskjaer: "He knows how to manage the boys and talks to you, especially when you are not playing. "He's a good guy, a calm guy, and I never saw him get angry - perhaps during a game when we were losing but the day after that it was totally forgotten because the next game was always more important than the last one. "I have massive respect and time for him and thanks to him, I had the opportunity to play for Manchester United. Without him, that would not have been possible, so I am always grateful to him, no matter what." - Odion Ighalo

“I think he’s really good on this and he was a footballer so he knows when he needs to talk to players, when he needs to give a good word or sometimes come and push you to give more. I think when you have a past in football, you understand these things more than when you don’t have a past." - Bruno Fernandes

“He’s helped me a lot on the pitch, but more so he’s been one of the biggest influences off the pitch too, with the way he handles players,” Shaw told the United App in May. “He knows what players need. I had a difficult couple of years before he came in – I think maybe he realised that and knew what I needed. “He’s really helped me off the pitch. He obviously believes in me, he tells me that. That’s the confidence you need as a player: to have the manager believe in you. “We also get on really well and that’s a key thing – your relationship off the pitch. “I know he’s the manager, and we all have massive respect for him, but it’s also important to have a nice relationship off the pitch too sometimes when things aren’t too serious.” - Luke Shaw

“Ole is always there for me,” Williams said in February. “He’s always telling me what I need to improve on, not letting me go in after training to work on things that I need to improve on. “He’s always there when I need an arm around the shoulder or when I need the praise and also when I need to be told something that I need to work on.” - Brandon Williams

“Obviously it’s our duty as players to go out there and do our best for him and hopefully we can (perform well) because we love him. We love him as a group as well.” - Scott McTominay

“Ole is a major part,” he told MUTV. “He has done it himself and knows what is he is talking about. Everyone listens to him. He helps me a lot.” - Mason Greenwood

“He always helps us on the pitch, talking, he’s a very good guy, and I’m happy to be following his transition at United. I’m sure he will grow a lot, get a lot of experience and that he will become one of the great coaches (in the world).” - Fred

What I have now with Ole is different, he wouldn’t go against the players,” the former world cup winner said when asked about this relationship with the current boss. “He wouldn’t go against the players… Maybe Ole wouldn’t pick them, but it’s not like he puts them on the side like they don’t exist anymore. That’s the difference between Mourinho and Ole.” - Paul Pogba

“Ole’s handling of Martial this season is worth pointing,” Anka noted. “Never publicly criticised him, uses his nickname to reinforce the bond, and when asked about his form he always brought it back to the collective. “Heck of a thing to have a manager like that in your corner.” - Carl Anka, Journalist

For me its all this praise about his man management from the players in particular that indicate to me he's a good man manager

Last edited:

Kag

Like every manager he has his favourites, so the likes of Shaw who play regular will talk highly of him. Comparing him to the one before his man management skills are to keep bollockings inhouse. I wonder what VDB and the rest that sit regulrly on the benchthinks of his man mangement skills.
Why would Van de Beek have an issue with man management? He’s played like a tosser in the vast majority of games he’s played.

Strange thread, this. The club is largely harmonious and Ole is evidently responsible for much of this. The last arsehole we had in charge was insistent that the club turn into ash so it’s more than obvious when things are going well as they are.

The arguments pitted against Ole have a lot more credence when the things he obviously does well are then given their fair due. When this doesn’t happen then it’s difficult to take the rest of what is said seriously.

Terry Chango

He's an awful tactician so people have come up with this excuse that he's a good man manager so they praise him for something.
what a load of crap….your type give us newbies a bad rep.

finished 3rd, then 2nd…reached finals, semi’s and as mentioned in this thread he’s outwitted multiple top level managers & and several modern so-called hipster managers.

He has room for improvement but to call him awful is embarrassing.

Last edited:

hobbers

He's really good at letting Pogba and Rashford walk all over him.

rotherham_red

The fact that every time his back is against the wall his players dig in and get a win should say it all tbh. He took over a squad that was divided and on the floor with many of our best players on the verge of checking out, and he kept them all on board. When Raiola was spouting his bullshit in December, Ole expertly kept Pogba onside when a lesser man manager would have let it spiral.

Say what you want about him about everything else, but his man management credentials are beyond reproach to me. Especially when you look at someone like Jose who left behind a toxic legacy.

el3mel

He managed Pogba and Shaw pretty well.

However his management of Rashford is terrible, and the way he manages his bench doesn't send them that much confidence or trust either.

eire-red

I think he's pulled a number of big wins out of the bag with tactically astute performances. We have a good record against many top teams under Ole, with a few wins against City and PSG springing to mind.

The only criticism I can throw at Ole is that we haven't managed to win any silverware under him. We seem to lack that killer edge that other top teams have. From a tactical, man management, style of play and player morale point of view, I think he's done well. Our transfer business has been much better also.

Ultimately, he will be judged on his ability to bring success back to the club. Any other qualities are secondary in the grand scheme.

sugar_kane

https://thesportsrush.com/his-man-m...ole-gunnar-solskjaer-for-reviving-his-career/

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/0...nnar-solskjaers-man-management-skills-214474/

He added: “Personally, he’s encouraged me to go forward with confidence and express myself, and prior to the recent lockdown I think my attacking game was definitely improving.” - Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Rashford spoke of Solskjaer’s impact while he was still in his caretaker role. Acknowledging the encouragement he had received from Solskjaer, Rashford told Manchester Evening News in January 2019: “I think that’s the key, we haven’t had chance to work on it proper yet, but just having those words around you it makes a difference, and I want to improve and keep learning.” - Marcus Rashford

Martial recently told Canal+: “He [Solskjær] sent me a message, he said, ‘Do you want to take your No.9 shirt back?’ “I straight up said yes! I said yes and he told me, ‘Now it’s up to you to show me [that you deserve it] every time you’re on the pitch.’” - Anthony Martial

He added: “I feel physically strong. I play with a lot of confidence and that’s very important for me. It’s also important when your coaches trust you and the manager trusts you and he says positive things about you. That’s only what matters.” - Nemanja Matic

“Football is not just played on the pitch, it’s also about all the things that go on around the game, the things that people don’t see. And he is someone that gets that and it helps the team a lot. Besides being a coach, he’s just a normal person. “I would say like an uncle, and having someone like that in the club gives the players more strength.” - Eric Bailly

“His man-management skills are very good. He’ll let players know what’s happening, and as players that’s all you can ask for. “You just want a manager to be honest with you, and that’s exactly what he gives you.” - Phil Jones

“It is a lot easier. He knows how people feel when in certain times and he knows how to help the individual adapt to the circumstances. “For me he has been fundamental. We have had a sit down, we have talked about my future and what destinations I want to be reaching, and he has been really good to me.” - Axel Tuanzebe

During the interview, he said the following about Solskjaer: "He knows how to manage the boys and talks to you, especially when you are not playing. "He's a good guy, a calm guy, and I never saw him get angry - perhaps during a game when we were losing but the day after that it was totally forgotten because the next game was always more important than the last one. "I have massive respect and time for him and thanks to him, I had the opportunity to play for Manchester United. Without him, that would not have been possible, so I am always grateful to him, no matter what." - Odion Ighalo

“I think he’s really good on this and he was a footballer so he knows when he needs to talk to players, when he needs to give a good word or sometimes come and push you to give more. I think when you have a past in football, you understand these things more than when you don’t have a past." - Bruno Fernandes

“He’s helped me a lot on the pitch, but more so he’s been one of the biggest influences off the pitch too, with the way he handles players,” Shaw told the United App in May. “He knows what players need. I had a difficult couple of years before he came in – I think maybe he realised that and knew what I needed. “He’s really helped me off the pitch. He obviously believes in me, he tells me that. That’s the confidence you need as a player: to have the manager believe in you. “We also get on really well and that’s a key thing – your relationship off the pitch. “I know he’s the manager, and we all have massive respect for him, but it’s also important to have a nice relationship off the pitch too sometimes when things aren’t too serious.” - Luke Shaw

“Ole is always there for me,” Williams said in February. “He’s always telling me what I need to improve on, not letting me go in after training to work on things that I need to improve on. “He’s always there when I need an arm around the shoulder or when I need the praise and also when I need to be told something that I need to work on.” - Brandon Williams

“Obviously it’s our duty as players to go out there and do our best for him and hopefully we can (perform well) because we love him. We love him as a group as well.” - Scott McTominay

“Ole is a major part,” he told MUTV. “He has done it himself and knows what is he is talking about. Everyone listens to him. He helps me a lot.” - Mason Greenwood

“He always helps us on the pitch, talking, he’s a very good guy, and I’m happy to be following his transition at United. I’m sure he will grow a lot, get a lot of experience and that he will become one of the great coaches (in the world).” - Fred

What I have now with Ole is different, he wouldn’t go against the players,” the former world cup winner said when asked about this relationship with the current boss. “He wouldn’t go against the players… Maybe Ole wouldn’t pick them, but it’s not like he puts them on the side like they don’t exist anymore. That’s the difference between Mourinho and Ole.” - Paul Pogba

“Ole’s handling of Martial this season is worth pointing,” Anka noted. “Never publicly criticised him, uses his nickname to reinforce the bond, and when asked about his form he always brought it back to the collective. “Heck of a thing to have a manager like that in your corner.” - Carl Anka, Journalist

For me its all this praise about his man management from the players in particular that indicate to me he's a good man manager
Check you out with your multiple first hand sources from the men who Ole actually manages…

Next up on Red Cafe “Is Ole actually Norwegian? The curious case of Solskjaer’s nationality…”

Roane

The fact that every time his back is against the wall his players dig in and get a win should say it all tbh. He took over a squad that was divided and on the floor with many of our best players on the verge of checking out, and he kept them all on board. When Raiola was spouting his bullshit in December, Ole expertly kept Pogba onside when a lesser man manager would have let it spiral.

Say what you want about him about everything else, but his man management credentials are beyond reproach to me. Especially when you look at someone like Jose who left behind a toxic legacy.
Yeah I do see a difference in the team overall, certainly from Jose days. Not calling out the players publicly ala Jose is in itself a good sign that he has a better approach.

The thing that does "bother" me slightly with his man management credentials is the whole playing Rashy when not 100% (but does he have a choice?) And moreso Bruno who he plays beause Bruno wants to play (or to that effect).

Truth is we don't know the behind the scenes stuff and can't underestimate the pressure on him to be doing certain things and playing (or over playing) certain players.

It's fine lines I guess. Is VDB not good enough or acclimated enough for the first team as a regular or is it pressure on Ole to do well giving him less options to "try" things or is it just not managing him right? Truth is I don't know more than anyone else but I don't think it's necessarily a slight on Ole to ask the question.

alexthelion

I think he was better suited for Academy role or U23 manager role. Can't see him winning the league.

We need to remember that he got the job only because of his connections with old guard, Sir Alex and class of 92. They have huge influence over media as well. That's why you hardly ever hear him being criticised in mainstream media.
What has this to do with the question about man management?

Any excuse for some just to bash Ole.

abkmufc92

finished 3rd, then 2nd…reached finals, semi’s and as mentioned in this thread he’s outwitted multiple top level managers & and several modern so-called hipster managers.

Is finishing in the top four an accomplishment now just because Ole is manager now, it's the fecking minimum that this club should be doing.

Is repeatedly crashing out at the quarter and semi finals of competitions an accomplishment?

Is crashing out of the group stage in a shit champions league group an accomplishment?

Is losing a final doing feck all in 120 minutes of football against a shite Villarreal side an accomplishment?

Why do you feel the need to keep lowering expectations for Ole.

Roane

My intent genuinely wasn't to do another Ole bashing thread, there is enough of those.

Man management was something that piqued my curiosity, moreso with regards to what people define it as. Maybe I should have used the title "Man management" rather than putting Ole s name there. But he is our manager and people have used it for him so I thought it was fair enough.

If it helps I can change it.

For me man management is something that is also used in regards to Klopp too. And his relationship on the pitch with players would suggest he has a good relationship with his players. However there is always the argument that he always plays a high intensity game and runs players into the ground. Not saying it's true just that I've heard it said.

Is good relationship same as good man management would be the question for me in that scenario. Doesn't mean I think Klopp is a bad manager or use that to slate him. Maybe it's just a ruthlessness that a manager needs to get to the top.

Anyway thought it may make for an interest discussion. Sorry if some feel it's an Ole out or Ole bashing thread. Wasn't meant to be

Jibbs

What has this to do with the question about man management?

Any excuse for some just to bash Ole.
Because who cares what how good or bad he is in man management. We have not experienced it first hand. So it's just mere speculation. What we see is how United play and what are the results. And results are just as average as he is.

CG1010

/Thread

Amarsdd

My intent genuinely wasn't to do another Ole bashing thread, there is enough of those.
Oh, sweet summer child! Every Ole thread here turns into a Ole bashing thread and a fair few of the time non-Ole threads as well.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Man management was something that piqued my curiosity, moreso with regards to what people define it as. Maybe I should have used the title "Man management" rather than putting Ole s name there. But he is our manager and people have used it for him so I thought it was fair enough.

For me man management is something that is also used in regards to Klopp too. And his relationship on the pitch with players would suggest he has a good relationship with his players. However there is always the argument that he always plays a high intensity game and runs players into the ground. Not saying it's true just that I've heard it said.

Is good relationship same as good man management would be the question for me in that scenario. Doesn't mean I think Klopp is a bad manager or use that to slate him. Maybe it's just a ruthlessness that a manager needs to get to the top.

Anyway thought it may make for an interest discussion. Sorry if some feel it's an Ole out or Ole bashing thread. Wasn't meant to be
Nothing wrong with the thread. I don't think it's any secret whatever the side people fall on with Ole that his biggest plus as manager is on the man management side which is why it deserves it's own thread but (you knew it was coming) any OP with Ole in the title will always bring out his attackers and his defenders. From the whoop whoop threads to PE teacher we've seen it all with Ole.

Reference your question about whether good relationships are the same as good man management then the answer is a big yes. All great managers need the respect from his players if he wants to be successful and that all boils down to great man management. If he doesn't have that relationship which is what happened with Mou then the results are very evident. Same as when VG came in with his, my way or no way attitude which some players bought into while others didn't. If a manager doesn't have everybody behind him 100% then success is a lot harder to find.

Pep and Klopp have it in abundance while being ruthless at the same time. If a player doesn't buy into their philosophies then they aren't around long enough to upset the rest of the team. If one of their players is dropped then instead of sulking they fight as hard as they can to get back into the team which as a manager is harder than it sounds to keep team harmony. Basically their players will run through brick walls for them to achieve the maximum as they can as a team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

No need to apologise. I guess most people are bored of the in or out question and quite happy to just enjoy the Euros. But there's always a few who are quite precious about Ole being criticised so they're primed to jump in there, and the opposite, those who can't stand him being praised.

It's a worthy discussion, like most topics around United.

Terry Chango

Is finishing in the top four an accomplishment now just because Ole is manager now, it's the fecking minimum that this club should be doing.

Is repeatedly crashing out at the quarter and semi finals of competitions an accomplishment?

Is crashing out of the group stage in a shit champions league group an accomplishment?

Is losing a final doing feck all in 120 minutes of football against a shite Villarreal side an accomplishment?

Why do you feel the need to keep lowering expectations for Ole.
Check out the post above your’s as I’m not the only one calling you out.

I was simply implying your statement about ole being tactically awful is a little harsh.

Are all the other managers that finished below ole in the league tactically awful too. Same for the other managers in the other competitions you listed awful too for not getting as far ?

Roane

Nothing wrong with the thread. I don't think it's any secret whatever the side people fall on with Ole that his biggest plus as manager is on the man management side which is why it deserves it's own thread but (you knew it was coming) any OP with Ole in the title will always bring out his attackers and his defenders. From the whoop whoop threads to PE teacher we've seen it all with Ole.

Reference your question about whether good relationships are the same as good man management then the answer is a big yes. All great managers need the respect from his players if he wants to be successful and that all boils down to great man management. If he doesn't have that relationship which is what happened with Mou then the results are very evident. Same as when VG came in with his, my way or no way attitude which some players bought into while others didn't. If a manager doesn't have everybody behind him 100% then success is a lot harder to find.

Pep and Klopp have it in abundance while being ruthless at the same time. If a player doesn't buy into their philosophies then they aren't around long enough to upset the rest of the team. If one of their players is dropped then instead of sulking they fight as hard as they can to get back into the team which as a manager is harder than it sounds to keep team harmony. Basically their players will run through brick walls for them to achieve the maximum as they can as a team.
Thanks for that. Enjoyed the response and your points and agree. Think SAF was the king of that too. Although you get likes of Keano who was well managed by SAF but now isn't complementary about him.

A bit reluctant to add this for those who may think it's Ole bashing, but do you feel that maybe with Ole the relationship with the players is a little different to Klopp and Pep in that he maybe isn't ruthless enough? I'm thinking his comments around Bruno wanting to play so he plays him. Pep particularly wouldn't maybe "allow" that?