Ole the man manager

Roane

No need to apologise. I guess most people are bored of the in or out question and quite happy to just enjoy the Euros. But there's always a few who are quite precious about Ole being criticised so they're primed to jump in there, and the opposite, those who can't stand him being praised.

It's a worthy discussion, like most topics around United.
Thanks for the kind words.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Thanks for that. Enjoyed the response and your points and agree. Think SAF was the king of that too. Although you get likes of Keano who was well managed by SAF but now isn't complementary about him.

A bit reluctant to add this for those who may think it's Ole bashing, but do you feel that maybe with Ole the relationship with the players is a little different to Klopp and Pep in that he maybe isn't ruthless enough? I'm thinking his comments around Bruno wanting to play so he plays him. Pep particularly wouldn't maybe "allow" that?
I think it's still too early to say whether or not Ole has that same ruthless streak as Pep and Klopp. (Apparently) having a big drop off from our first 11 to our backups has made Oles job slightly easier because it's easier to keep players happy if he plays the same players almost week in week out. I think his biggest challenge has yet to come once we sign better players and making the squad a lot more competitive. Then and only then can he be judged on his ruthlessness or lack of. Obviously there's more to say on what else makes a successful manager but as this thread is about his man management I'll leave it there.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Whatever happens in the next week and also at the 2022 World Cup, I think Gareth Southgate might want to return to club management and hopefully following success with England, he won't be looking for a Fulham or a Wolves type job.

Would Man utd. fans welcome him as a successor to OGS? He does seem to excel at the 'man management' side of things.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Whatever happens in the next week and also at the 2022 World Cup, I think Gareth Southgate might want to return to club management and hopefully following success with England, he won't be looking for a Fulham or a Wolves type job.

Would Man utd. fans welcome him as a successor to OGS?
He does seem to excel at the 'man management' side of things.
Lord no

alexthelion

Would Man utd. fans welcome him as a successor to OGS? He does seem to excel at the 'man management' side of things.
No, no and no.

RedTiger

Half mast

No. There are times and places for types of managers and Man Utd is not the place or time for Gareth.

arthurka

What's wrong with that picture?

Idxomer

Great idea, he could use his relationship with the English players to get the muppets the players they want.

He'll also be getting knighthood soon and we're used to our manager having that.

Zen86

I don’t see him returning to club management anytime soon. I think he would want to emulate Joachim Löw and have a prolonged tenure with England.

hobbers

Ole could finish 6th next season and I would still rather the club kept him than replaced him with Southgate :lol:

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Ole could finish 6th next season and I would still rather the club kept him than replaced him with Southgate :lol:
If Utd. finish 6th next season and assuming they don't win the CL or drop into the EL and win that, OGS will be released. I keep pointing this out: it is a minimum requirement in his contract to keep Utd. in the CL and if G. Southgate has declared his intention to return to club management after Qatar 2022, Utd. might put a caretaker manager in place and then allow Southgate to take the job. If he wins the Euros and/or the World Cup, it would be a logical move for him and Manchester Utd: world famous club takes on world famous manager.

Chairman Steve

100% no to Southgate. If he’s smart he stays in the England job for as long as possible. He seems to have a good arrangement.

This is like when people suddenly thought Chris Coleman was a good manager after he got Wales to the Euro 2016 semis.

hobbers

If Utd. finish 6th next season and assuming they don't win the CL or drop into the EL and win that, OGS will be released. I keep pointing this out: it is a minimum requirement in his contract to keep Utd. in the CL and if G. Southgate has declared his intention to return to club management after Qatar 2022, Utd. might put a caretaker manager in place and then allow Southgate to take the job. If he wins the Euros and/or the World Cup, it would be a logical move for him and Manchester Utd: world famous club takes on world famous manager.
:lol: :lol:

Imagine wasting even more years with a caretaker for the privilege of taking on a manager with even less credentials than Ole.

Withnail

It would be an illogical and extremely ill-advised move. International management is a totally different job to club management.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This United fan thinks he got the job because he is "white man" :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This United fan thinks he got the job because he is "white man" :lol:

This video is over a year old. That guy goes by the name “rants n bants” & is probably the most toxic “United fan” on the Internet. He seems to hate everything about the club. Including our legends & downplaying our history.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You forgot his terrible treatment on Greenwood.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
You forgot his terrible treatment on Greenwood.
I thought Mason Greenwood withdrew himself at the beginning of June (just before the 33 became 26) due to an underlying injury that needed recuperation, or have I missed something?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought Mason Greenwood withdrew himself at the beginning of June (just before the 33 became 26) due to an underlying injury that needed recuperation, or have I missed something?
I was talking about the last year one which made Ole angry of Southgate's man management on Greenwood.

Southgate has shown nothing in his man management, not saying he doesn't have one but I'm not sure how you think his man management is top notch.

big rons sovereign

This video is over a year old. That guy goes by the name “rants n bants” & is probably the most toxic “United fan” on the Internet. He seems to hate everything about the club. Including our legends & downplaying our history.
I dunno whats worse, the utter Bollox he spouts to generate attention and clicks or that Robbie sits there noddin along with it.

He can't seriously believe that drivel, can he? :nervous:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I dunno whats worse, the utter Bollox he spouts to generate attention and clicks or that Robbie sits there noddin along with it.

He can't seriously believe that drivel, can he? :nervous:
I think he has some issues to be honest. Seems like a nasty piece of work from what I’ve seen of him.

His brother is that Expressions fella, the Spurs fan. Polar opposite personality. Seems like a happy go lucky chap. It’s weird they are related.

big rons sovereign

I think he has some issues to be honest. Seems like a nasty piece of work from what I’ve seen of him.

His brother is that Expressions fella, the Spurs fan. Polar opposite personality. Seems like a happy go lucky chap. It’s weird they are related.
I'm not familiar with him, I try to avoid the YouTube pundits if possible.

The only ones I tend to watch from time to time are the Stretford paddock bunch as they don't seem quite so psychotic and they actually have something to say other than everybody else is shit and they're cheating.

Plus I like the whole starting a football club thing they've got going on.

On a side note, I stumbled across 'a bunch of amateurs' recently which, if you've ever played in the amateur leagues, is hilarious.

Strelok

God no.

fergosaurus

Whatever happens in the next week and also at the 2022 World Cup, I think Garethnd Southgate might want to return to club management and hopefully following success with England, he won't be looking for a Fulham or a Wolves type job.

This is why I'll be supporting Denmark/Italy/Spain. If he wins the Euros and Ole fecks up we're stupid enough to hire him. The thought of it makes me shudder more than the Moyes rumours when Fergie retired.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So, being nice to players is a good man management in these snowflake days?
Manager's most important skill is tactical knowledge. That wins you games and titles. And he is pretty poor in that. And that is most important thing here.

But yeah, i agree that he knows with the players and how to keep them happy. I prefer LVG or Fergie style (manager who is THE boss) but this new age footballers are too spoiled and soft for that approach. Today if you yell on player, he, his agent and all family will go crying on Facebook, Instagram and media.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Manager's most important skill is tactical knowledge. That wins you games and titles. And he is pretty poor in that. And that is most important thing here.

But yeah, i agree that he knows with the players and how to keep them happy. I prefer LVG or Fergie style (manager who is THE boss) but this new age footballers are too spoiled and soft for that approach. Today if you yell on player, he, his agent and all family will go crying on Facebook, Instagram and media.
No a manager's most important skill is good management skills. The hint's in the name. What you're talking about is a head coach. As long as a manager has coaches under him with good tactical knowledge its no big deal. Fergie was absolutely a manager in the Ole mould. A man manager first who knew how to motivate his players. The tactical details were often left to the assistant coaches.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Van Gaal and SAF are completely different in how they manage players, SAF is arguably the greatest manager when it comes to man management. He didn't have one rule for all.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I was talking about the last year one which made Ole angry of Southgate's man management on Greenwood.

Southgate has shown nothing in his man management, not saying he doesn't have one but I'm not sure how you think his man management is top notch.
I'm going off what people have been saying on TV and on the Radio specifically he seems to be dealing well with this large squad - appeasing the players who are not getting much game time, whilst maintaining team spirit (did you see Foden run on when Sterling scored the 1st goal against Germany?) Apparently, people are saying he has been able to stop cliques forming (between club team mates) that in the past has caused problems for England, at big tournements. Also, he lets them have ketchup on their chips.

I understand that managing a national team is different from managing a club side, however - he does seem the sort of person I think Man Utd. would go for, if he decides to return to club management: cleancut image etc.

romufc

I see his clips all over twitter, he's some deluded fella. How can you be a fan and hate everything about the club?

I also remember how he was talking up Arteta because he is on the touchline signalling to players what to do.

It is such a waste using the racial card just because it isn't a manager he can back. He really hates Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Ole as well.

Maticmaker

What's shocking to me is that there's such a thing as man manager when the word manager alone already means "the person who supervises/controls/manages a group of people". So what does "man manager" mean? the person who manages a group of people of man? that's sexist to be honest.
In essence it generally relates to 'one-to-one' management techniques or influences, as different from say group management/team management capabilities; but the two are not mutually exclusive. People I've worked with in the past on management development would probably say its to do with emotional intelligence.

matt10000

I think he was better suited for Academy role or U23 manager role. Can't see him winning the league.

We need to remember that he got the job only because of his connections with old guard, Sir Alex and class of 92. They have huge influence over media as well. That's why you hardly ever hear him being criticised in mainstream media.
Welcome to the world! People often get a position because of their connections in all walks of life because they understand that business, including football, so what?

He's an awful tactician so people have come up with this excuse that he's a good man manager so they praise him for something.
Second in league behind a state funded (unlimited resources club) managed by arguably the best manager in the world and reach a European Final.

I think some supporters are like spoilt children.....grow up and get some perspective.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
He improved some of the players and some others seem to be a bit happier than under Jose. He does seem to be a good man manager, good for him, but bad for us that tactically he's useless.
How is he poor tactically? He’s masterminded quite a few big results against some top top team. Baffles me how people question his tactics.

romufc

He's an awful tactician so people have come up with this excuse that he's a good man manager so they praise him for something.
Awful tactician? what makes you say that?

How can you be awful at something and finish second, semi final of cups, final of Europa, beat brilliant managers ?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I see his clips all over twitter, he's some deluded fella. How can you be a fan and hate everything about the club?

I also remember how he was talking up Arteta because he is on the touchline signalling to players what to do.

It is such a waste using the racial card just because it isn't a manager he can back. He really hates Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Ole as well.
I saw a clip of him saying Shaw shouldn’t go to the Euros & Telles is our best left back. I don’t how old it is but with it being euros related I can only assume it’s recent. After the season Shaw has had its a baffling comment. Seems like a strange guy.

He’s also had such gems as “Sir Alex wasn’t good tactically” & “Roy Keane was shit on the ball”

It’s crazy we won the treble with a shit manager & captain :lol: