Ole the man manager

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rants and bants, massive dickhead, seems to rant but has little in the way of bants. Just another wannabe e-celeb but zero charisma or likeability
It’s weird because his brother has both of those in spades. Probably explains why he has 4x the following.

romufc

I saw a clip of him saying Shaw shouldn’t go to the Euros & Telles is our best left back. I don’t how old it is but with it being euros related I can only assume it’s recent. After the season Shaw has had its a baffling comment. Seems like a strange guy.

He’s also had such gems as “Sir Alex wasn’t good tactically” & “Roy Keane was shit on the ball”

It’s crazy we won the treble with a shit manager & captain :lol:
its weird when people accuse others of not knowing football and come out with nonsense.

The greatest ever manager, you can ask rival fans, rival managers, past managers, present managers and SAF would be number 1. You have to have tactical ability to be able to win title after title.

I would really hate to be a fan when you dislike the manager's, the players for youtube views

youmeletsfly

How is he poor tactically? He’s masterminded quite a few big results against some top top team. Baffles me how people question his tactics.
When he's going to do that year in, year out versus all the teams, disregarding their setup, I will agree.

Until then we ain't playing against "a few big teams" the whole year round. Actually we play the vast majority of smaller/average clubs.
I can't call the guy a great tactician because he got a few big results here and there.

If he'd be a great tactician we would've had a trophy or two in the last few years.

el3mel

How is he poor tactically? He’s masterminded quite a few big results against some top top team. Baffles me how people question his tactics.
Because basing your opinion on his tactics on just few random games is a terrible way of evaluation. He defeated Guardiola so he's a great coach tactically. Even Norwich or Wolves manage to defeat Guardiola from time to time.

Overall Ole hasn't shown anything over the course of a whole season to make us think he's a great coach tactically. Honestly? Probably average at best. Some good games mixed with some shambolic management in crucial ones.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe “poor” isn’t the right word but his tactical ability is definitely his weakness in comparison with his man management, which by all accounts is excellent. I think naive is probably a more appropriate word. He certainly isn’t tactically elite, which is what you would expect for a United manager. He was very naive in the Europa league final, and in a few games last season. The one that really stands out was PSG. Leaving Fred on when Stevie Wonder could see he was a red waiting to happen was really bad.

romufc

Because basing your opinion on his tactics on just few random games is a terrible way of evaluation. He defeated Guardiola so he's a great coach tactically. Even Norwich or Wolves manage to defeat Guardiola from time to time.

Overall Ole hasn't shown anything over the course of a whole season to make us think he's a great coach tactically. Honestly? Probably average at best. Some good games mixed with some shambolic management in crucial ones.

I would highly encourage you to pull out in the last 3 years how many times Norwich and Wolves have beat the top 4/6, in comparison to Ole.

Secondly, he went from 3rd to 2nd as well, if a manager who is clueless tactically can do that, why is it that not many other managers have won the league in the last 5 years?

I am not saying he is a great tactical coach but some of the criticism is a bit over the top.

matt10000

When he's going to do that year in, year out versus all the teams, disregarding their setup, I will agree.

Until then we ain't playing against "a few big teams" the whole year round. Actually we play the vast majority of smaller/average clubs.
I can't call the guy a great tactician because he got a few big results here and there.

If he'd be a great tactician we would've had a trophy or two in the last few years.
UTD are a big club and have been since the 1950s, therefore, based on your logic, all of our past managers have been rubbish tacticians for not winning the league every season seeing as most of our games are against smaller/average clubs. Sir Matt, SAF didn't win the league every year against these average teams so in your eyes they were rubbish tacticians?!?!?!

Joeace2020

I will never forgive him for the shambolic handling of the Europa League Final. It was shameful, even by his standards.

youmeletsfly

UTD are a big club and have been since the 1950s, therefore, based on your logic, all of our past managers have been rubbish tacticians for not winning the league every season seeing as most of our games are against smaller/average clubs. Sir Matt, SAF didn't win the league every year against these average teams so in your eyes they were rubbish tacticians?!?!?!
You don't really understand the concepts of consistency or linearity?
Where in my post did you see stuff like "all our managers were jack shit tactically"?

Just the usual fecking random internet poster taking his preconceived logic and applying it to someone else's words.

If you don't agree with someone else's opinion you can just say it, not act like an internet baby.

I'm going to put it simply for you, maybe you can see it, from both sides of the argument:
- he did win a few of the big games -> he's a great tactician
- he lost 4/5 semifinals -> where was his tactical genius then?

Which one outweighs the other? Well that's to personal opinion and choosing what matters for you. I like winning so I'd consider the 2nd part of the argument much stronger.
Express your opinion and don't try to turn another guy's opinion around by just adding made up facts to it. The feck is that?

OleTheGreat

Yes, talking about the topic in hand. Ole is definitely a good man manager simply because he knows how to handle the egos of the players in the squad. He never bad mouths anybody in person or in the press. My only worry with him is his style of play. I'm still not convinced by his techniques and the way he wants this team to play. I agree that he has done well against some bigger teams and managers but I still think in order to win the title, he needs to find a way to play in every game. We cannot just plant the best players available to go out and find the goals. Yes, we had the best league result last season since SAF left but a United fan who has watch all the games last season will know that it was not very attractive to watch every time. We had to keep guessing if the team that went out there would perform to its maximum. Most of the first half performances last season was mediocre and we always had to fight from behind. I only hope Ole does better this season and proves me wrong because I truly think he does everything for the benefit of our club and is a true United fan through and through unlike the predecessors. Hope to watch some exciting football next season!

OleTheGreat

Where in my post did you see stuff like "all our managers were jack shit tactically"?

Just the usual fecking random internet poster taking his preconceived logic and applying it to someone else's words.

If you don't agree with someone else's opinion you can just say it, not act like an internet baby.

I'm going to put it simply for you, maybe you can see it, from both sides of the argument:

Which one outweighs the other? Well that's to personal opinion and choosing what matters for you. I like winning so I'd consider the 2nd part of the argument much stronger.
Express your opinion and don't try to turn another guy's opinion around by just adding made up facts to it. The feck is that?
Well put and I totally agree.

Sweet Square

Still the only manager post Fergie where I don't worry about him instantly pissing off our new signings.

OleTheGreat

https://thesportsrush.com/his-man-m...ole-gunnar-solskjaer-for-reviving-his-career/

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/0...nnar-solskjaers-man-management-skills-214474/

He added: “Personally, he’s encouraged me to go forward with confidence and express myself, and prior to the recent lockdown I think my attacking game was definitely improving.” - Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Rashford spoke of Solskjaer’s impact while he was still in his caretaker role. Acknowledging the encouragement he had received from Solskjaer, Rashford told Manchester Evening News in January 2019: “I think that’s the key, we haven’t had chance to work on it proper yet, but just having those words around you it makes a difference, and I want to improve and keep learning.” - Marcus Rashford

Martial recently told Canal+: “He [Solskjær] sent me a message, he said, ‘Do you want to take your No.9 shirt back?’ “I straight up said yes! I said yes and he told me, ‘Now it’s up to you to show me [that you deserve it] every time you’re on the pitch.’” - Anthony Martial

He added: “I feel physically strong. I play with a lot of confidence and that’s very important for me. It’s also important when your coaches trust you and the manager trusts you and he says positive things about you. That’s only what matters.” - Nemanja Matic

“Football is not just played on the pitch, it’s also about all the things that go on around the game, the things that people don’t see. And he is someone that gets that and it helps the team a lot. Besides being a coach, he’s just a normal person. “I would say like an uncle, and having someone like that in the club gives the players more strength.” - Eric Bailly

“His man-management skills are very good. He’ll let players know what’s happening, and as players that’s all you can ask for. “You just want a manager to be honest with you, and that’s exactly what he gives you.” - Phil Jones

“It is a lot easier. He knows how people feel when in certain times and he knows how to help the individual adapt to the circumstances. “For me he has been fundamental. We have had a sit down, we have talked about my future and what destinations I want to be reaching, and he has been really good to me.” - Axel Tuanzebe

During the interview, he said the following about Solskjaer: "He knows how to manage the boys and talks to you, especially when you are not playing. "He's a good guy, a calm guy, and I never saw him get angry - perhaps during a game when we were losing but the day after that it was totally forgotten because the next game was always more important than the last one. "I have massive respect and time for him and thanks to him, I had the opportunity to play for Manchester United. Without him, that would not have been possible, so I am always grateful to him, no matter what." - Odion Ighalo

“I think he’s really good on this and he was a footballer so he knows when he needs to talk to players, when he needs to give a good word or sometimes come and push you to give more. I think when you have a past in football, you understand these things more than when you don’t have a past." - Bruno Fernandes

“He’s helped me a lot on the pitch, but more so he’s been one of the biggest influences off the pitch too, with the way he handles players,” Shaw told the United App in May. “He knows what players need. I had a difficult couple of years before he came in – I think maybe he realised that and knew what I needed. “He’s really helped me off the pitch. He obviously believes in me, he tells me that. That’s the confidence you need as a player: to have the manager believe in you. “We also get on really well and that’s a key thing – your relationship off the pitch. “I know he’s the manager, and we all have massive respect for him, but it’s also important to have a nice relationship off the pitch too sometimes when things aren’t too serious.” - Luke Shaw

“Ole is always there for me,” Williams said in February. “He’s always telling me what I need to improve on, not letting me go in after training to work on things that I need to improve on. “He’s always there when I need an arm around the shoulder or when I need the praise and also when I need to be told something that I need to work on.” - Brandon Williams

“Obviously it’s our duty as players to go out there and do our best for him and hopefully we can (perform well) because we love him. We love him as a group as well.” - Scott McTominay

“Ole is a major part,” he told MUTV. “He has done it himself and knows what is he is talking about. Everyone listens to him. He helps me a lot.” - Mason Greenwood

“He always helps us on the pitch, talking, he’s a very good guy, and I’m happy to be following his transition at United. I’m sure he will grow a lot, get a lot of experience and that he will become one of the great coaches (in the world).” - Fred

What I have now with Ole is different, he wouldn’t go against the players,” the former world cup winner said when asked about this relationship with the current boss. “He wouldn’t go against the players… Maybe Ole wouldn’t pick them, but it’s not like he puts them on the side like they don’t exist anymore. That’s the difference between Mourinho and Ole.” - Paul Pogba

“Ole’s handling of Martial this season is worth pointing,” Anka noted. “Never publicly criticised him, uses his nickname to reinforce the bond, and when asked about his form he always brought it back to the collective. “Heck of a thing to have a manager like that in your corner.” - Carl Anka, Journalist

For me its all this praise about his man management from the players in particular that indicate to me he's a good man manager
Great post! Totally convincing to the point that we all must understand that these are pro footballers who know what they need to do on the pitch. If only he works out a certain style of play, I'm sure we'll go out there week in week out and show some of the best football that can ever be played.

Wheeler Dealer

I see his clips all over twitter, he's some deluded fella. How can you be a fan and hate everything about the club?

I also remember how he was talking up Arteta because he is on the touchline signalling to players what to do.

It is such a waste using the racial card just because it isn't a manager he can back. He really hates Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Ole as well.
I don't know this guy but it's not hard to support the club and be hard on it. In fact it's easier to be critical of the club you support than a club you don't as you care about it.

he is deluded if he rates Arteta. But he has a point in that no BAME candidate would ever get a job the level of Utd if they had Ole's CV (unless you consider Ryan Giggs to be a BAME candidate due to his father). Ole is a fraudulent gaffer at the highest levels who has high levels of 'matey-ness' if you will.

Without knowing what he's about but if what you say is true -- that he doesn't rate Ole, HM, Bruno, and Shaw then he seems to have some sense. These are not individuals who will achieve major results in club game in their present roles. Ole should be a youth/academy employee in charge of spreading good feelings, Bruno should be sold to be honest, Shaw needs international competition week in week out and should not be guaranteed first choice, and HM should be sold.

matt10000

Calm down dear........

Raveneye

https://thesportsrush.com/his-man-m...ole-gunnar-solskjaer-for-reviving-his-career/

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/0...nnar-solskjaers-man-management-skills-214474/

He added: “Personally, he’s encouraged me to go forward with confidence and express myself, and prior to the recent lockdown I think my attacking game was definitely improving.” - Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Rashford spoke of Solskjaer’s impact while he was still in his caretaker role. Acknowledging the encouragement he had received from Solskjaer, Rashford told Manchester Evening News in January 2019: “I think that’s the key, we haven’t had chance to work on it proper yet, but just having those words around you it makes a difference, and I want to improve and keep learning.” - Marcus Rashford

Martial recently told Canal+: “He [Solskjær] sent me a message, he said, ‘Do you want to take your No.9 shirt back?’ “I straight up said yes! I said yes and he told me, ‘Now it’s up to you to show me [that you deserve it] every time you’re on the pitch.’” - Anthony Martial

He added: “I feel physically strong. I play with a lot of confidence and that’s very important for me. It’s also important when your coaches trust you and the manager trusts you and he says positive things about you. That’s only what matters.” - Nemanja Matic

“Football is not just played on the pitch, it’s also about all the things that go on around the game, the things that people don’t see. And he is someone that gets that and it helps the team a lot. Besides being a coach, he’s just a normal person. “I would say like an uncle, and having someone like that in the club gives the players more strength.” - Eric Bailly

“His man-management skills are very good. He’ll let players know what’s happening, and as players that’s all you can ask for. “You just want a manager to be honest with you, and that’s exactly what he gives you.” - Phil Jones

“It is a lot easier. He knows how people feel when in certain times and he knows how to help the individual adapt to the circumstances. “For me he has been fundamental. We have had a sit down, we have talked about my future and what destinations I want to be reaching, and he has been really good to me.” - Axel Tuanzebe

During the interview, he said the following about Solskjaer: "He knows how to manage the boys and talks to you, especially when you are not playing. "He's a good guy, a calm guy, and I never saw him get angry - perhaps during a game when we were losing but the day after that it was totally forgotten because the next game was always more important than the last one. "I have massive respect and time for him and thanks to him, I had the opportunity to play for Manchester United. Without him, that would not have been possible, so I am always grateful to him, no matter what." - Odion Ighalo

“I think he’s really good on this and he was a footballer so he knows when he needs to talk to players, when he needs to give a good word or sometimes come and push you to give more. I think when you have a past in football, you understand these things more than when you don’t have a past." - Bruno Fernandes

“He’s helped me a lot on the pitch, but more so he’s been one of the biggest influences off the pitch too, with the way he handles players,” Shaw told the United App in May. “He knows what players need. I had a difficult couple of years before he came in – I think maybe he realised that and knew what I needed. “He’s really helped me off the pitch. He obviously believes in me, he tells me that. That’s the confidence you need as a player: to have the manager believe in you. “We also get on really well and that’s a key thing – your relationship off the pitch. “I know he’s the manager, and we all have massive respect for him, but it’s also important to have a nice relationship off the pitch too sometimes when things aren’t too serious.” - Luke Shaw

“Ole is always there for me,” Williams said in February. “He’s always telling me what I need to improve on, not letting me go in after training to work on things that I need to improve on. “He’s always there when I need an arm around the shoulder or when I need the praise and also when I need to be told something that I need to work on.” - Brandon Williams

“Obviously it’s our duty as players to go out there and do our best for him and hopefully we can (perform well) because we love him. We love him as a group as well.” - Scott McTominay

“Ole is a major part,” he told MUTV. “He has done it himself and knows what is he is talking about. Everyone listens to him. He helps me a lot.” - Mason Greenwood

“He always helps us on the pitch, talking, he’s a very good guy, and I’m happy to be following his transition at United. I’m sure he will grow a lot, get a lot of experience and that he will become one of the great coaches (in the world).” - Fred

What I have now with Ole is different, he wouldn’t go against the players,” the former world cup winner said when asked about this relationship with the current boss. “He wouldn’t go against the players… Maybe Ole wouldn’t pick them, but it’s not like he puts them on the side like they don’t exist anymore. That’s the difference between Mourinho and Ole.” - Paul Pogba

“Ole’s handling of Martial this season is worth pointing,” Anka noted. “Never publicly criticised him, uses his nickname to reinforce the bond, and when asked about his form he always brought it back to the collective. “Heck of a thing to have a manager like that in your corner.” - Carl Anka, Journalist

For me its all this praise about his man management from the players in particular that indicate to me he's a good man manager
Just giving due props to a well researched post.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Great post! Totally convincing to the point that we all must understand that these are pro footballers who know what they need to do on the pitch. If only he works out a certain style of play, I'm sure we'll go out there week in week out and show some of the best football that can ever be played.
Wait, I thought Ole had you playing ‘the United way’. Or is that another football term that absolutely has no meaning.

Being completely honest, the fact the man still divides opinion after all this time is more than enough to convince you that he cannot take you past the level you are currently at.

Had you not signed Bruno and signed “x” instead there is argument to say that he wouldn’t be in the job still. How many managers can you say that about?

He doesn’t make substitutions when football fans across the globe are screaming in his face about how the game is playing out.

He is constantly compared to rookie managers despite being a manager for 10 years and even makes rookie mistakes with his game management.

Clearly some people don’t see what style of play he is trying to implement.

He could be best pals with the players but that doesn’t change his level of overall management. At what point do you say enough is enough, we need a World class manager now.

I don’t see anything changing next season for you unless the players win him a trophy. His ability will have little effect on your chances of winning one that’s for sure.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Wait, I thought Ole had you playing ‘the United way’. Or is that another football term that absolutely has no meaning.

Being completely honest, the fact the man still divides opinion after all this time is more than enough to convince you that he cannot take you past the level you are currently at.

Had you not signed Bruno and signed “x” instead there is argument to say that he wouldn’t be in the job still. How many managers can you say that about?

He doesn’t make substitutions when football fans across the globe are screaming in his face about how the game is playing out.

He is constantly compared to rookie managers despite being a manager for 10 years and even makes rookie mistakes with his game management.

He could be best pals with the players but that doesn’t change his level of overall management. At what point do you say enough is enough, we need a World class manager now.

I don’t see anything changing next season for you unless the players win him a trophy. His ability will have little effect on your chances of winning one that’s for sure.
Which level is that?

The trajectory is pointed upwards the past 2 seasons, what metric are you using to suggest it will suddenly flatten with an improved squad?

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Rants and bants, massive dickhead, seems to rant but has little in the way of bants. Just another wannabe e-celeb but zero charisma or likeability
I assume this rants/bants guy has been banned from Twitter, because if a white person said, for example, "Patrick Viera only got the Palace job because of 'diversity' "- they most likely would be....

matt10000

Is finishing in the top four an accomplishment now just because Ole is manager now, it's the fecking minimum that this club should be doing.

Is repeatedly crashing out at the quarter and semi finals of competitions an accomplishment?

Is crashing out of the group stage in a shit champions league group an accomplishment?

Is losing a final doing feck all in 120 minutes of football against a shite Villarreal side an accomplishment?

Why do you feel the need to keep lowering expectations for Ole.
Have you ever heard the word 'progress' or heard the phrase 'Rome wasn't built in a day'? You sound like a big spoilt baby to me I wonder how old you are.......

romufc

I don't know this guy but it's not hard to support the club and be hard on it. In fact it's easier to be critical of the club you support than a club you don't as you care about it.

he is deluded if he rates Arteta. But he has a point in that no BAME candidate would ever get a job the level of Utd if they had Ole's CV (unless you consider Ryan Giggs to be a BAME candidate due to his father). Ole is a fraudulent gaffer at the highest levels who has high levels of 'matey-ness' if you will.

Without knowing what he's about but if what you say is true -- that he doesn't rate Ole, HM, Bruno, and Shaw then he seems to have some sense. These are not individuals who will achieve major results in club game in their present roles. Ole should be a youth/academy employee in charge of spreading good feelings, Bruno should be sold to be honest, Shaw needs international competition week in week out and should not be guaranteed first choice, and HM should be sold.
Actually, why would no BAME candidate get the job? You do realise Ole has managed in Norway? Its not like he hasn't managed for years and got the job randomly.

So a fraud manager gets 3rd and 2nd in consecutive seasons?

You are really on a wind up? Bruno was one of PL best players, Maguire one of PL best CB and Shaw was the best LB in the league..

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs

Surely this is a wind up?

matt10000

wibble

matt10000

Every UTD manager since SAF has divided opinion and will do until we win the league a few times. SAF divided opinion in his first few seasons, I remember the 'Fergie Out' days.

Absolute nonsense.

The manager's job is to influence the signings the clubs makes, guide them, motivate them to play for them etc.....

Under a different manager Bruno may not have been the player he was last season.

If we had signed 'x' instead, they may have been just as good.

Shoulda coulda woulda....the bottom line is Ole, Bruno and Utd finished above Chelsea and they don't like it up 'em

Gator Nate

Every UTD manager since SAF has divided opinion and will do until we win the league a few times. SAF divided opinion in his first few seasons, I remember the 'Fergie Out' days.

Absolute nonsense.

The manager's job is to influence the signings the clubs makes, guide them, motivate them to play for them etc.....

Under a different manager Bruno may not have been the player he was last season.

Shoulda coulda woulda....the bottom line is Ole, Bruno and Utd finished above Chelsea and they don't like it up 'em
The bigger pictures that often get left out of the discussion.

Ole definitely needs to win hardware at this point, but when I think of where the squad was emotionally and positionally when Ole took over, he had a lot of work to do. I think things were a mess behind closed doors, too. He's trying to build a team that can challenge for more than one season, though, and I'm good with that. I see a trade off between one trophy now and probably a drought, as players go in and out of a revolving door, and another season or two without (this past season) followed by several successful seasons with a stable core.

As to the OP, Ole definitely has what it takes to keep a group of guys headed in the same general direction. The thing that makes him better than most is that he did it almost immediately (to the extent that he needed to) and has sorted personalities out in fairly short order. He's also been pretty careful, as far as he has the influence on transfers, to bring in personalities that mesh. That's hugely important to long-term success.

As for someone mentioning how other things got handled, I think Lukaku did himself in. For all the moaning on the Caf, he definitely did not fit the style of play Ole seeks (sorry if I think he has one), even as an unfailing "Plan B" that some believed in. Then he pulled his stunt in the preseason and sealed his own fate. Herrera was out before Ole had a grip on things to keep him (and Ole himself indicated he would have). I do think Van de Beek was foisted on him, yet even Donny has good things to say about Ole. I think it's the front office that's botched the whole Romero situation - everyone knows where Romero stands in Ole's plans after bringing Henderson back in; he should have been sold off or let go.

The only problem I see going forward is improving the talent level of the team while keeping former starters happy to sit on the bench. That time is now, and Ole only gets one shot. If he can get over that hump in the short term and they start winning the hardware, it becomes easier because players want to stay on the gravy train.

As for his coaching acumen, he's shown numerous times that he is far from tactically naive. You don't come in 3rd and then 2nd in the league on tactical naivete. He is stubborn on occasion. But every manager has his flaws and the question is: Can they succeed in spite of their flaws? So far, Ole has maintained the proper trajectory. The certainty from some that he's going to suddenly drop off is unwarranted from what I've seen.

NZT-One

I would highly encourage you to pull out in the last 3 years how many times Norwich and Wolves have beat the top 4/6, in comparison to Ole.

Secondly, he went from 3rd to 2nd as well, if a manager who is clueless tactically can do that, why is it that not many other managers have won the league in the last 5 years?

I am not saying he is a great tactical coach but some of the criticism is a bit over the top.
Maybe you should have a look at the squads other managers are able to field every matchday? Leagues are won by very good to great teams. And the team consists of the players and the manager. Another manager given our squad might have achieved comparable results, maybe more. We don't know and still can be happy with the current situation because we know Ole did a good job. But there is no possible way to argue that nobody except for Ole would be able to do what he did.

Very very good post

Still the only manager post Fergie where I don't worry about him instantly pissing off our new signings.
Being the best of bad bunch is good in relative terms, but doesn't have to be in absolute terms.

Do not disagree with a single thing in that post. There is no actual point to discuss the whole Good-or-Bad- thing but I think, it is certainly "mention-worthy" that most opposition fans are quite happy with Ole being our coach. That absolute does not mean a lot, but it is a little part of the overall picture. I for sure know, I would be happy if Brendan, Pep, Tuchel and Klopp would feck off the isle. It would take away some of the prestige maybe, but feck it, prestige can be relevant again, when United is back on track.

Which level is that?

The trajectory is pointed upwards the past 2 seasons, what metric are you using to suggest it will suddenly flatten with an improved squad?
Weird subtone... I mean, I understand, that people can have a standpoint of value-ing progress in a comparable way to achievements but you must be able to grasp the concept that not anybody does it this way. There is no right or wrong. Progress is nice. But it is difficult to measure (hence the discussion around here) and some people like to stick to the measurable parts of a certain topic.

Absolute nonsense.

The managers job is to win football matches with his team. All this influencing, motivating, guiding - all nice and necessary. But lets not twist reality only to be able to keep smiling every day when thinking of Ole.
And by the way: Bottom line is also that Chelsea won the CL.

romufc

Maybe you should have a look at the squads other managers are able to field every matchday? Leagues are won by very good to great teams. And the team consists of the players and the manager. Another manager given our squad might have achieved comparable results, maybe more. We don't know and still can be happy with the current situation because we know Ole did a good job. But there is no possible way to argue that nobody except for Ole would be able to do what he did.
Not long ago, Spurs fans thought they had a better squad than us, Chelsea last season, City and Liverpool had better squads. if you asked Arsenal fans at the start of the season, they would have said they have a chance for top4.

Well, like you say, there is no possible way to argue if anyone could have done a better job, there is because LVG, Jose both got similar amount of money to spend on the squad. It is not Ole's fault they both totally messed up their transfers.

Neither am I claiming Ole is the best manager for this bunch. Apart from Klopp and Pep, I struggle to see any outstanding managerial candidate which is why we are also seeing Barca, Real, Juve all struggle.

Foxbatt

My respect for him has gone up after the way he publicly dealt with Bailly and Amad going to The Olympics.
If he can get his coaching staff sorted out or get top quality coaches we can win trophies. It looks like he is trying to correct that by getting a set piece coach. Now if he can upgrade on what he has now it could get better.

romufc

My respect for him has gone up after the way he publicly dealt with Bailly and Amad going to The Olympics.
If he can get his coaching staff sorted out or get top quality coaches we can win trophies. It looks like he is trying to correct that by getting a set piece coach. Now if he can upgrade on what he has now it could get better.
Correct. He even came out last season and said, coaching is not his strongest suit, it takes alot of balls for a manager of Manchester United to make such statements.

He also realised that the way we played, lost goals is due to coaching and hired one of the best young coaches to come help the team.

We can all criticise him post match, I have done on numerous occasions when he thinks the team played well and they didn't. it is quite clear that he knows where this team needs to improve.

We are also seeing reports that he wants to change formation, again trying to improve. It was clear he couldn't make drastic changes during the season when we played 2 games a week, rather got us to 2nd and now is making plans to improve.

Hopefully, we have a successful season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Absolute nonsense.

My god I remember when the Caf wanted Fergie gone during his later seasons as well

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Is it just me or does he look to be more hands on with training here?

I think he's always been involved in the offensive drills, but he seems very involved here.

Love the arm around Lingard.

Did Elanga grow during the summer? He seems taller than I recall him

Polar

No one who knows Ole talks badly about him, even off loaded players. His firm, frank and friendly behaviour makes him a perfect man manager. I’m really proud of having a manager with such a standing among players. That’s why I’m also pretty sure Ole gets the most out of the squad, and that’s the most important factor in order to succeed - together with transfer strategy or team building. Formations and substitutes during game is subordinate in my opinion.

The formula 1 documentary (Netflix) shows how brutal sport can be. How Christian Horner threats and talks about own driver is an terrible example of bad man management, but in Formula 1 they only have two drivers and can use and throw nr. two drivers as they want. “Formula 1 isn’t an arena for development”. They very quickly assess if the driver has what it takes to be a podium driver”. A person like Ole will probably never succeed as team leader in Formula 1 :D

tomaldinho1

I think he's always been involved in the offensive drills, but he seems very involved here.

Love the arm around Lingard.

Did Elanga grow during the summer? He seems taller than I recall him
Yeah, wasn’t he working with the attackers when he hung up his boots? I’d imagine he’s a good one to one mentor for our younger strikers and in pre season he’ll be everywhere around the squad.

Hopefully he’s decided he needs to be more involved now tactically - I never really agreed with the setup before where he was copying SAFs later years type setup.

JustAGuest

Correct. He even came out last season and said, coaching is not his strongest suit, it takes alot of balls for a manager of Manchester United to make such statements.

He also realised that the way we played, lost goals is due to coaching and hired one of the best young coaches to come help the team.

We can all criticise him post match, I have done on numerous occasions when he thinks the team played well and they didn't. it is quite clear that he knows where this team needs to improve.

We are also seeing reports that he wants to change formation, again trying to improve. It was clear he couldn't make drastic changes during the season when we played 2 games a week, rather got us to 2nd and now is making plans to improve.

Hopefully, we have a successful season.
I love to see that he is actively looking to improve us in different areas.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He recalled himself: "I don't want to come across like I was a little kid who could not deal with being put under pressure because at a big club like Manchester United you are always going to be under pressure and under the spotlight. That makes you mentally stronger.

"But I had no confidence at that time. I was losing my belief. I think that is what changed with Ole. He managed me right and I got my confidence back and I am really enjoying it at the moment.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12355857/the-12-months-that-rebuilt-shaws-reputation