Ole - The Player

GueRed

An intelligent and unselfish centre forward. And a world class finisher.

He improved every year. His second season (97-98) was hampered by injuries but still contributed. His crossing from the right wing during the 02 - 03 season was almost Beckham esque!

Such a shame his career virtually ended in 2003

Would walk into today's team

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If we are talking about wrong perceptions btw, there is a constant perception of Ole as kind of a weak or yes man who will do what he is told.

After Keane - Queiroz incident and from Keane book...
All the players started talking, and Ole and Paul Scholes said they were leaving because they didn't want to talk about me when I wasn't there. I loved that - that they showed me that bit of loyalty. When Ole got up to leave, he was told by the manager 'Don't you follow him' - in no uncertain terms.

Ole left anyway and we are talking about Fergie here.... Shows 2 things imo. Why Keane will probably always be on his side even as a pundit. More importantly, that perception of Ole is absolutely wrong, although you would assume people will get that part from the way he cleaned the dressing room once he got here.

Oldtraffordboy

Excellent at one and two touch finishing ,and rebounds.

Can tell he relentlessly practiced finishing from all angles on both feet.

Thaila-X

Ole was one of the players that made me really fall in love with football. He was unfortunate with injuries and when we played two up top, I don't think he ever fully formed a partnership with anyone the way Cole and Yorke did but he's certainly in the conversation when it comes to great strikers. Lot of people talk about his loyalty and professionalism and it's worth noting how highly some of the fringe/youth players who tried to come through at the time speak of him.

Jonno

He could finish anything inside the box, he was so reliable. He needed 1 touch, and he would mostly score. Brunos touch and finish against Southampton was a typical Ole goal.

He also worked very hard, which you don't see every week in the PL these days. He would run and press and draw fouls. He could start up top, right wing, bench.

He cost next to nothing, and was a top PL striker, particularly in the 90's.

Fitchett

Ole was a real team player and a cool, deadly finisher. I rate him and Van Nistelrooy as our two best finishers. Another point, not mentioned so far in this thread, was when he sprinted back, half the length of the pitch, to foul an opponent who was clean through on goal. The inevitable red card followed, Ole walked immediately, no complaints, and really endeared himself to the United fans by taking one for the team. God knows where the rest of the defence was, if Ole was the last man.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
How was he when he had a spell as a RW?
He didn’t look out of place from what I remember. His biggest contribution from that position was an assist for a Giggs equalizer at Highbury in a crunch game during the run-in in 02/03. But he played more as a right forward than Beckham’s more restricted right-midfield role, which suited us as we generally had RVN up front with Scholes supporting him, rather than the more traditional two up front.

I’m going to buck the trend. Ole was a great surprise and a lesson for this window. We signed him after failing to sign Shearer.... can you imagine the anti climax, now imagine if that happened today ? To go from expecting to break the world record for a world famous number 9 to ending up signing some unknown Norwegian for £1.5m!

However he was never world class.. maybe because of injury or maybe all round game.

Rudie

Mentary
He was deadly, even off his weaker foot he wasn't bad (had a left foot deadlier than Ruud imo). The early link up play with Cantona was magical. Oh take me back.

GueRed

How was he when he had a spell as a RW?
There were times during 1996 - 1998 he played the wide forward role. and played it really well he did
I remember we played 4-3-3 quite a few times especially in the Champions League during this period. What he lacked in pace and that quick burst of acceleration he more than made up in his intelligence of movement, link up play and work rate rate.

When he played the Right wing during that spell Beckham was dropped at the tail end of the 2002-03 season in terms of delivery of crosses and the final pass he went up another level IMO.

Such a shame due to injury the 2002-03 was his final season in his prime. Beckham leaving later that summer and Ole wiped out with a knee injury was a double blow for that right midfield going into the next season.

GueRed

I’m going to buck the trend. Ole was a great surprise and a lesson for this window. We signed him after failing to sign Shearer.... can you imagine the anti climax, now imagine if that happened today ? To go from expecting to break the world record for a world famous number 9 to ending up signing some unknown Norwegian for £1.5m!

However he was never world class.. maybe because of injury or maybe all round game.
I agree he wasnt a world class striker eg top 5-10 striker. But he was a world class finisher. His all round game was good and improved every year.

I think what he lacked to be a top 5 striker was physical. In that he didnt have that pace and explosiveness other strikers had at the time... He always seemed one paced...he didnt seem to have enough gears to get away from defenders.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
I said maybe, and of course it’s the age old argument of what constitutes world class? Was he ever one of the best in the world? I love Cantona, and he’s a United legend, but yes I think whether he was a world class player is debatable.

Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland weren’t quite foreign, they were assimilated, and yes that had a detrimental effect and led to some crazy choices, like Gary Walsh playing instead of Schmeichal against Barca.
i recall the opinion, that had David Ginola not tried to be a fancy dan, and instead run the clock down beside a corner flag, France would've went to the World Cup instead of Bulgaria and Eric would've had a real shout for the European Player of the Year as the eventual clear winner Hristo Stoichkov would've missed out going to the USA in '94

Smores

I pretty much started watching us the season he signed. I still find his career a strange one because he was such a superb finisher and yet he was never really able to cement himself as the main man. Hardly ever played 90 minutes and i wasn't a fan of him on the right at all.

He never really had a single season that put him in that category, for instance i think each of Martial and Rashford last season scored more than Ole ever did in a single season? Someone can correct me if that's wrong and obviously context is important in that he had much more competition.

Handré1990

I pretty much started watching us the season he signed. I still find his career a strange one because he was such a superb finisher and yet he was never really able to cement himself as the main man. Hardly ever played 90 minutes and i wasn't a fan of him on the right at all.

He never really had a single season that put him in that category, for instance i think each of Martial and Rashford last season scored more than Ole ever did in a single season? Someone can correct me if that's wrong and obviously context is important in that he had much more competition.
Context is that the league was a lot more competitive when Ole played. You need only look at normal point tally for league winners. Also, neither of Martial or Rashfors is anywhere near Ole as a striker or goalscorer.

I find the talk of was he world class or not a bit silly from United fans. He was clearly never in contention for best anything while playing, but he could score against anyone on any day. Never the best, but always important.

lex talionis

A brilliant finisher who had red running through his veins, we would be fortunate to have had a player like Ole the last few years. Prime Ole would easily start over Martial today.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The equalizer here at the end is one of my favorite Ole goals. He loved that inside left attacking position:

Ladron de redcafe

I've always considered him the best finisher United have ever had. The only striker who came close as far as finishing is concerned is Van Nistelrooy (a much better overall striker, ofcourse.)

People seem to remember his goal against Bayern but not much else, which leads me to wonder whether he is among the most underrated players we have had.

He always read the game very well and needed very little time to get in sync with his teammates and to get comfortable with the match pace whenever he came on.

Among his many important goals that i rarely see mentioned:

1. His 2 goals against Leicester City in his first season (the 1996-1997 league campaign) that salvaged a draw after we lost against Derby and nerves opened the door slightly ajar when the league seemed to be all but wrapped up.​
  2. His last minute winner against Liverpool in the 4th round of the 1999 FA Cup, in a match in which United trailed from the 3rd minute untill that crazy comeback with 1 minute in the 90.​
  3. His last minute equalizer against Bolton in the run-in of the 2002-03 league campaign. Arsenal were leading by 5 points and any dropped points there would have been a psychological blow. Instead, it kept United within 5 points (2 matches worth of dropped points) of Arsenal which put just enough pressure on them to precipitate their collapse, and United went on to win the league.​
Leaving aside the importance of his goals throughout the years, it's easy to overlook how beautiful his goals were. Some of his finishes were spectacular and he could finish with his right foot or left foot just as easily at times.
I don't have the ability to imbed videos. In any case, the following are in the thread creator's video:

• 4:01, 16:55, 19:21, 25:41 are all classic Solskjaer. A lot of strikers aim to hit the ball on target with pace, and i think most would have done that or tried to go across the goalkeeper with some of these but Solskjaer's finishes were great. Always looked for the roof of the net or the corner, it seemed. (At 27:00, he has another beautiful finish right into the roof of the net but that was easier than the 4 aforementioned goals)
  • 5:40 and 6:04 vs Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday) were similar and both were spectacular. The way he put the ball in the top corner, especially against Chelsea when he only had enough time to quickly kill the ball and then shoot, was incredible.
  • 6:40 against Blackburn was a goal i used to watch over and over again on VHS. I loved the way he controls the ball with his backheel in one motion then finishes.
  • 8:31 against Bronby and 18:30 vs Fulham 2 years later are similar insomuch as he doesn't even need a touch. Finds the bottom corner first time, with very little backspin.
  • 14:35 against Bordeaux as he makes mincemeat of both centre halves and wins the match for United.
  • 15:50 and 27:33 (against Chelsea in 2000 after we wrapped the league in the previous match against Southampton, and then in the 4-0 against Liverpool in 2003) showcase his intelligence, more than anything. Both times, he puts it between the defender's legs and hits it low to the goalkeeper's near side, as the keeper's vision is obfuscated. As a result, the keeper is rooted both times. At 29:00, he repeats it on his left foot.
  • 17:45 against Ipswich as he kills a 40 yard ball with one touch.
  • 20:13 vs Lille in the 2001-02 UCL campaign is one of the most ridiculous finishes i've ever seen. That ball is still bouncing when he hits it with his left foot. To hit it into the top corner with that accuracy, on his weak foot, from that angle, is juat ridiculous.
  • 25:07. He makes this look so simple. Most strikers would have taken it with their left foot. He lets it roll and crosses over so that the ball on his right foot, which opens up the angle. It's little things like this that i missed about Solskjaer (and Sheringham as well). Really smart strikers who relied on IQ more than physical prowess. He does a similar thing at 25:25 as he waits just a split second to give himself time to open up the angle and go with his right foot instead of left.
Reading some of these posts, I wonder whether we start to forget just how great of a finisher Solskjaer was. With the passage of time, it's normal for memories of someone's abilities on the pitch to fade and that might be the case here. When he retired, i reckoned he would get credit post-retirement that he should have gotten while he was playing as people looked at his body of work. I find it a little sad that that didn't transpire. If anything, he seems even more underrated now than he ever was when he was playing.

Reactions: 2cents

Odin

I've always considered him the best finisher United have ever had. The only striker who came close as far as finishing is concerned is Van Nistelrooy (a much better overall striker, ofcourse.)

People seem to remember his goal against Bayern but not much else, which leads me to wonder whether he is among the most underrated players we have had.

He always read the game very well and needed very little time to get in sync with his teammates and to get comfortable with the match pace whenever he came on.

Among his many important goals that i rarely see mentioned:

1. His 2 goals against Leicester City in his first season (the 1996-1997 league campaign) that salvaged a draw after we lost against Derby and nerves opened the door slightly ajar when the league seemed to be all but wrapped up.​
  2. His last minute winner against Liverpool in the 4th round of the 1999 FA Cup, in a match in which United trailed from the 3rd minute untill that crazy comeback with 1 minute in the 90.​
  3. His last minute equalizer against Bolton in the run-in of the 2002-03 league campaign. Arsenal were leading by 5 points and any dropped points there would have been a psychological blow. Instead, it kept United within 5 points (2 matches worth of dropped points) of Arsenal which put just enough pressure on them to precipitate their collapse, and United went on to win the league.​
Leaving aside the importance of his goals throughout the years, it's easy to overlook how beautiful his goals were. Some of his finishes were spectacular and he could finish with his right foot or left foot just as easily at times.
I don't have the ability to imbed videos. In any case, the following are in the thread creator's video:

• 4:01, 16:55, 19:21, 25:41 are all classic Solskjaer. A lot of strikers aim to hit the ball on target with pace, and i think most would have done that or tried to go across the goalkeeper with some of these but Solskjaer's finishes were great. Always looked for the roof of the net or the corner, it seemed. (At 27:00, he has another beautiful finish right into the roof of the net but that was easier than the 4 aforementioned goals)
  • 5:40 and 6:04 vs Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday) were similar and both were spectacular. The way he put the ball in the top corner, especially against Chelsea when he only had enough time to quickly kill the ball and then shoot, was incredible.
  • 6:40 against Blackburn was a goal i used to watch over and over again on VHS. I loved the way he controls the ball with his backheel in one motion then finishes.
  • 8:31 against Bronby and 18:30 vs Fulham 2 years later are similar insomuch as he doesn't even need a touch. Finds the bottom corner first time, with very little backspin.
  • 14:35 against Bordeaux as he makes mincemeat of both centre halves and wins the match for United.
  • 15:50 and 27:33 (against Chelsea in 2000 after we wrapped the league in the previous match against Southampton, and then in the 4-0 against Liverpool in 2003) showcase his intelligence, more than anything. Both times, he puts it between the defender's legs and hits it low to the goalkeeper's near side, as the keeper's vision is obfuscated. As a result, the keeper is rooted both times. At 29:00, he repeats it on his left foot.
  • 17:45 against Ipswich as he kills a 40 yard ball with one touch.
  • 20:13 vs Lille in the 2001-02 UCL campaign is one of the most ridiculous finishes i've ever seen. That ball is still bouncing when he hits it with his left foot. To hit it into the top corner with that accuracy, on his weak foot, from that angle, is juat ridiculous.
  • 25:07. He makes this look so simple. Most strikers would have taken it with their left foot. He lets it roll and crosses over so that the ball on his right foot, which opens up the angle. It's little things like this that i missed about Solskjaer (and Sheringham as well). Really smart strikers who relied on IQ more than physical prowess. He does a similar thing at 25:25 as he waits just a split second to give himself time to open up the angle and go with his right foot instead of left.
Reading some of these posts, I wonder whether we start to forget just how great of a finisher Solskjaer was. With the passage of time, it's normal for memories of someone's abilities on the pitch to fade and that might be the case here. When he retired, i reckoned he would get credit post-retirement that he should have gotten while he was playing as people looked at his body of work. I find it a little sad that that didn't transpire. If anything, he seems even more underrated now than he ever was when he was playing.
Agreed. The 20legend banner didn't manifest itself out of thin air.

poleglass red

excellent finisher, was also a good crosser of the ball when he was played wide, an aspect of his game not mentioned as much. I always found him more effective of the bench that starting though.Great squad player.

Web of Bissaka

I always view him as a limited player, but ruthless at what he's good at.

As a striker, he's well suited for the "assassin" nickname.
As a right winger, he showcased to the fullest his high football intelligence and general all-around abilities, despite the physical limitations of body, pace and skills (this is different than technique which Ole had plenty in his arsenal).

Football intelligence is his biggest weapon.
Grabbing every little chances he got and not wasting it is his second best so.. concentration/focus? anticipation? Not sure what it's called, but it's definitely rare among players. So many players like to waste their chances, and doesn't step-up nor play to the fullest when given chances. This sets Ole far apart from the rest making him an excellent standout performer.

GueRed

He always made scoring goals look well easy

The one in 2000 at the Valley against Charlton where Giggs hits the bar from the halfway line and Ole follows up on the rebound and half volleys it in springs to mind.

My fave Ole goals off the top of my head (apart from nou camp '99) are:

The one on the counter attack against Arsenal at Highbury Feb '97. Cole and Ole on one of their first starts together without Eric

Lille away 2001 where he effortlessly half volley the ball into the top corner on the run moving wide

2002 against Charlton away where Roy Keane plays a beautiful long raking pass behind the charlton full-back, Ole latches onto it perfectly in his stride before placing the ball beyond the keeper into the bottom corner.

Jan '99 Scouse buster! injury time winner in the FACup 3rd round at Old Trafford. sollllskkkjaaaerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Absolutely adored him as a player. I'm trying to forget his current job. I've supported him even when bemused by some team selections and tactics - but can't understand (or forgive) him for tonight. Not subbing Fred at half time (or earlier) was mad. Then ending the game with one striker who doesn't seem to like playing in the middle.

But as a player - superb

JohnnyKills

Not a great player - not particularly quick, skilful or good in the air - but a genuinely great finisher. One of the best you'll ever see.

The perfect substitute really.