Ole - The Player

he was very much part of a brilliant squad, never world class, but you can argue that most of our strikers weren’t world class, including Cole, Sheringham, Hughes, hell even maybe Cantona as he never did it in Europe.
feck off @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg !! Eric was World Class by anyone’s standards.
We as a team didn’t “do it” in Europe cause we were fecked with that stupid as feck 3 foreigners rule during Eric’s time.
English sides got utterly fecked over with that cause Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland were considered “foreign”.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
not just rumouredUnited accepted a bid from Spurs of circa £5.5m. Sir Alex told him he couldn’t guarantee he would start, and wanted him to stay, but accepted the offer as Spurs would play him as a first choice striker. We left it up to him, and he wanted to stay.

we had an incredible forward lineup. I vividly remember his debut against Blackburn.

an excellent player, who would also have had a fantastic ‘second career’ as a right winger/ inside forward if it wasn’t for injuries that cut his career short.

someone posted his goals/ min stats in the thread. I didn’t realise it was that good.

he was very much part of a brilliant squad, never world class, but you can argue that most of our strikers weren’t world class, including Cole, Sheringham, Hughes, hell even maybe Cantona as he never did it in Europe. Yorke having the best individual season of that era in 1999.

we played, and won as a team, the whole being far more than the individual parts, having said that we probably had the best midfield in the world for a time with Keane, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs.

key part in our success, and defiantly not just for that one goal.
Ole was a fantastic player and you are right, none of our treble winning strikers were world class over a longer period, and Yorke played an incredible season.
But all the strikers were still very good and with four world class chance creation and assist machines behind them it was no surprise we outscored everyone domestically and in Europe that season.

feck off @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg !! Eric was World Class by anyone’s standards.
We as a team didn’t “do it” in Europe cause we were fecked with that stupid as feck 3 foreigners rule during Eric’s time.
English sides got utterly fecked over with that cause Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland were considered “foreign”.
I said maybe, and of course it’s the age old argument of what constitutes world class? Was he ever one of the best in the world? I love Cantona, and he’s a United legend, but yes I think whether he was a world class player is debatable.

Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland weren’t quite foreign, they were assimilated, and yes that had a detrimental effect and led to some crazy choices, like Gary Walsh playing instead of Schmeichal against Barca.

I said maybe, and of course it’s the age old argument of what constitutes world class? Was he ever one of the best in the world?
Absolutely.

To win a league for one side, (their first in 17 years), only to switch to their rival and then win them the league (their first in 26 years) the following season is the sign of one of the World’s best players.

Who else does that? Michael Laudrup. (Although Barca/Real have never gone so long league-less).

Have a look through the FIFA top 10 from 1992-1996 and tell me with a straight face that Eric doesn’t shit on 99% of them.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I said maybe, and of course it’s the age old argument of what constitutes world class? Was he ever one of the best in the world? I love Cantona, and he’s a United legend, but yes I think whether he was a world class player is debatable.

Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland weren’t quite foreign, they were assimilated, and yes that had a detrimental effect and led to some crazy choices, like Gary Walsh playing instead of Schmeichal against Barca.
Nah. C'mon. There's a reason that Nike had Cantona, in that classic advert with the demons, deliver the showstopper. Surrounded by top players they chose Cantona to star, because he had that kind of status in the game. Even after Cantona retired they kept featuring him. If memory serves he was the announcer for the Nike cage adverts. Cantona's profile in the world game was huge. Players like Kaka have identified Cantona as childhood heroes. Considering the way he was cut out of the France international picture during his prime years that says a lot about his impact. Indeed, I'm sure the French posters on the CAF can testify to the fact that there was a massive debate in France about his exclusion from their Euro 96 squad. In the 1990s Cantona was undoubtedly regarded as one of the best players in the game.

youngrell

Absolutely.

To win a league for one side, (their first in 17 years), only to switch to their rival and then win them the league (their first in 26 years) the following season is the sign of one of the World’s best players.

Who else does that? Michael Laudrup. (Although Barca/Real have never gone so long league-less).

Have a look through the FIFA top 10 from 1992-1996 and tell me with a straight face that Eric doesn’t shit on 99% of them.
He even got a league winners medal the previous year in France, too. Although obviously not as influential as here.

Must be some kind of record, though, 3 titles with 3 different teams in a row.

Oranges038

He had the chance and turned down Spurs because he was loyal to United and Sir Alex wanted him at the club. The clubs had agreed the transfer and he said no.
Aside from adding that the clubs had agreed the fees. I am not sure how that is in anyway different from what I posted. Maybe you should have read the last piece.

He knew he was loved at Utd and loved the club, that's why he stayed until the end.

jem

God, watching that video is the perfect antidote for any negative feelings I have towards Ole. I don't think he's quite cut out for the job, but how sweet would it be to see him lift a trophy as United manager?

Gazza

Solskjaer’s ability to shoot through a defender’s legs to find the corner of the goal and his ability to surprise a keeper by taking a shot early were his calling cards. There were few better in his era in the PL when it came to those things. As others have pointed out, his performances on the wing in the 2003 title season were often superb too. He’d have been an interesting player to fit into today’s tactical approaches, but with his intelligence and adaptability I’d bet on him working it out.

Was good enough to be undisputed first choice at roughly 15/20 PL clubs in his time here, and good enough to be a squad player at any.

edcunited1878

Scholes gets lost in the conversation? Wtf.
He’s one of the most talked about former stars, and somehow is now rated even higher by most than the likes of Keane and Giggs.
He is lost in the sauce. He's talked about now because he's a shit pundit and because people on the board don't remember how good he was, Keane was, nor Giggsy. Prime Keane was the more influential player and better overall player. But Scholes was one of the best central midfielders as well, given that he adapted his game throughout his career and was not blessed with much physical traits like his contemporaries. Started as a second/support striker, feck off his wide play, but played in a central midfield two in a 442 system, then a DLP with the vision and range of a GPS system.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No it doesn't, your opinion here is ill informed and idiotic.
:lol: You seem sensitive about this one.

I mean, he was clearly a cut below other chaps who were probably considered top class. If we want to call everyone by that term and render it useless, then sure.

alexthelion

Not as good as Sheringham, Cole or Yorke. Nor Ruud, Rooney, Eric, Hughes for that matter.
Better than Martial (as a centre forward) and Lukaku.

Incredible finisher, ridiculous, but never quite good enough all round to be a long term starting forward for a Fergie side. (Choccy aside but he wouldn’t have started in the proper successful Fergie sides either).
Had a cracking run playing right wing during Fergie and Becks’ fallout.

Adored him though, because he’d have started at most other clubs, such was his quality.
As a goal scorer, I would have him just behind Ruud, Rooney and Cole of those players you've listed there.

very underrayed as a player imo.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I remember when he was considered one of the older players in 2007 (I started following Utd in 2006), I didn't know much about football back then but I remember thinking this guy must be really good when he was younger. His touches were very good and effective with his movements despite looking like an uncle compared to Ronaldo & Rooney. Seems like I was correct even though i was basically an idiot kid eating soap bars during my spare time.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

I wouldn't say he was a squad player. He was too good for that. But he can't lead the line on his own. Cole and Yorkie had this unbelievable understanding between them.
Ole would have been a starter in any other PL team.
But saf never thought about starting eleven etc. To him it was always a team effort.
I know that he got the hairdryer against Newcastle but that was the exact thing as fans we want from a United player. To me that's more than the goal he scored in the CL Final. It shows that he was willing to sacrifice for the team.
He would waltz into this side.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He was incredibly valuable for us for a number of circumstantial reasons, mostly because our amazing manager knew exactly how to get the best out of him and use him for the team and squad’s benefit.

As for where he stands among his peers in terms of ability, maybe someone like Vincenzo Montella might be a reasonable comparison?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
A lot of people forget how many games he played on the right wing. He kept Beckham out of the team at one point.
Thats not how I remember it. I think he had a few good games on the right, which gained a lot of attention because of a couple assists, but I actually don't think he was great on the right.

As for keeping Becks out. At that point Becks was done at United. Its not as though Ole was outperforming him.

Bondi77

Pretty obvious that a player who was almost always a backup /sub while being a good footballer was not top class or incredibly good.
We were one of the best sides if not the best in the world at the time so for him to be the first change forward means he was top class....that is pretty obvious!

Banana Republic

Lots remembering Ole as a super-sub, but he was in the starting line-up for 60% of all his appearances for Utd.
His least number of starts and sub appearances was in the treble season and 5 years later on when he got his bad injury that put him out for 2 seasons.

Late goals?
Memory is a funny thing.
Having had a quick scan through the stats it looks like 80% of his goals were scored before the 65 min and something like 50% in the first half.
It also looks as if he actually scored very few of his 91 goals in the last 10 mins.
I'll might go back and get the detailed stats on that.

Gazza

Lots remembering Ole as a super-sub, but he was in the starting line-up for 60% of all his appearances for Utd.
His least number of starts and sub appearances was in the treble season and 5 years later on when he got his bad injury that put him out for 2 seasons.

Late goals?
Memory is a funny thing.
Having had a quick scan through the stats it looks like 80% of his goals were scored before the 65 min and something like 50% in the first half.
It also looks as if he actually scored very few of his 91 goals in the last 10 mins.
I'll might go back and get the detailed stats on that.
40% of all appearances coming from off the bench is a fairly high percentage, I’d have thought? He is also 2nd on the list of most goals scored by a substitute in PL era.

In any case, I agree with your main thrust, that he was more than just a good sub, but it is also true that Ole scored some vital goals as a sub and late on in games, so he developed a reputation as someone who was intelligent enough and had the right attitude to do that, relative to other players.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I agree with the OP. If you study footage of him playing, he was class. He was an exceptional finisher but his all-round game was underrated. I only think it's due to his injuries that he is a bit underrated everywhere else except for in our club. It's a really cool thing when its the fans appreciation of a player that makes sure they go down as legends, and for sporting reasons rather than social media and general status.

On a different note. You can totally tell some people just talk right out of their ass on this one, because he is our current manager they can't help have an opinion on a unrelated matter.

Will Singh

Everyone here thinks of him as a legend for that goal alone? I definitely don't see him as a legend for that one goal and I'm hoping there's plenty on here who don't!

eltigreFalcao

Looking at the video from the OP, it seems that he was provided with a decent amount of assits from Cantona, which is just delightful to watch

mancave bear

Also, he was really appreciated and well received by pretty much everyone. Which is a bit strange considering he was never a star player in our team.
"Never a star player in our team"?

How long have you been a fan? Sorry if I am a bit harsh, but its irritating when people who apparently have no knowledge, has to come out with false information.

We bought Ole ridiculous cheap, and by the first season (96/97) he was our top scorer, with 18 goals. So he was obviously a star player in our team from the very first season!

He kept on scoring lots of goals, and he had some really important ones to. And he gave us some great entertainment, like the time he scored a haul (4 goals), in the last 18 minutes of a premier league match.

During his entire stay at united, Ole started games more often than he came in as a sub.

He was having some injuries, but still stayed here for over 10 years, playing as a striker and as a right wing, and went on to become a legend.

Despite the fact that he started games more often than he came in as a sub, he got a reputation as a super sub. This is because he often had a great impact as a sub, scoring crucial goals and turning games around.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

He was incredibly underrated. To think he spent a lot of games starting from the bench but his goal scoring record for us was fantastic. He could have moved and started games for a lot of good clubs.

He also played RM/RW for a season after Beckham got injured, I think it was 2002/03. He was fantastic in the Newcastle game. I think it waa the 5-3 at Teeside where he does a lovely pass to Scholes who then volleyed it into the net. The pass was Cantona like.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
"Never a star player in our team"?

How long have you been a fan? Sorry if I am a bit harsh, but its irritating when people who apparently have no knowledge, has to come out with false information.

We bought Ole ridiculous cheap, and by the first season (96/97) he was our top scorer, with 18 goals. So he was obviously a star player in our team from the very first season!

He kept on scoring lots of goals, and he had some really important ones to. And he gave us some great entertainment, like the time he scored a haul (4 goals), in the last 18 minutes of a premier league match.

During his entire stay at united, Ole started games more often than he came in as a sub.

He was having some injuries, but still stayed here for over 10 years, playing as a striker and as a right wing, and went on to become a legend.

Despite the fact that he started games more often than he came in as a sub, he got a reputation as a super sub. This is because he often had a great impact as a sub, scoring crucial goals and turning games around.
Started to cheer last season when we bought Maguire. Some have Robbo, some Eric, some Beckham and some Cristiano.

Harry did the trick for me.

Devil81

A lot of people forget how many games he played on the right wing. He kept Beckham out of the team at one point.
That's because his ability to strike a ball developed into fantastic ability to drive a ball across goal.

I think there were a fair few far post goals scored off Ole's drilled low crosses.

Eriku

Top class seems a bit much. If he was, why couldn't he be the star striker for United?
Let’s quote Ferguson’s autobiography, pages 159-160.

"If you put my great goal-scorers together (Andy Cole, Eric Cantona, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney), Ruud was the most prolific. But the best natural finisher was Solskjaer"

Next page:

"Ole was a sweet-natured boy who was never looking to be confrontational with me. There was no risk to my office door from Ole wanting to smash it down to demand a place in the first XI. We knew he was content with his role, and that helped us, because if we had a difficult decision to make about the other three strikers, which one to leave out, the fourth was content to play a supporting part. So we just had three grumpy forwards to deal with. Yorke, Cole and Sheringham."

People saying he wasn’t good enough to start for us are doing him a huge disservice. He started more games than he got subbed in, and he scored more in games where he started than he did off the bench. I wonder how many of the people saying these things actually saw him play for us.

Last edited:

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Some people should really look up our legends and ex players before making comments on here about them.

Find some games and watch them. Then you will see that Ole, Keane, Scholes and Beck's etc were fabulous footballers and team players that would walk in to any top team right now if they were playing.

RUCK4444

Some people should really look up our legends and ex players before making comments on here about them.

Find some games and watch them. Then you will see that Ole, Keane, Scholes and Beck's etc were fabulous footballers and team players that would walk in to any top team right now if they were playing.
Feck me they would walk into our team in their slippers and make us title contenders.

I think this is why Keane is harsh as a pundit and finds it hard to accept much of the mediocrity within the ranks when he talks about the club/squad. Those teams would kick us and play us off the park.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Feck me they would walk into our team in their slippers and make us title contenders.

I think this is why Keane is harsh as a pundit and finds it hard to accept much of the mediocrity within the ranks when he talks about the club/squad. Those teams would kick us and play us off the park.
Exactly this. Keane knocked out Heinze in the dressing room. I think he would kill some of the players we have for their refusal to pass forward and always taking the easy option.

People should go back and watch Keane at Anfield in 2005. A good three or four years past his absolute best. Yet he absolutely bossed the game.

Keane's passing through the lines was totally underrated. It might not have been as crisp and flashy as some of Carrick's. However, Keane would never see the likes of Telles standing in space on the wing and chicken out of passing the ball to them. Something we see all the time from some of our current players...

People often ask questions like who would you bring back from our best squads. The truth is we have virtually no players close to that level right now. There were players who were subs in our best sides who would easily be first choice right now.

Handré1990

He was great. Really prolific striker. Deadly in front of goal. I’m always amazed by the sheer amount of goals he scored from his first touch, from anywhere around the box really.