Ole uncertain of summer transfer funds

Nero

"I think the pandemic has hit everyone really hard

"I still think we need to wait and see how things are panning out to know the real effects of the pandemic, to know what kind of financial state we are in.

"You see some teams invest, some teams don't. We'll have to take a big look at things ourselves to see how hard we've been hit. I know the club has announced a few numbers before.

"It's not for me to say here now we are going to have X amount because I don't really know. I don't really know how hard we have been hit. We are a financially strong club, but we are also probably being hit more than anybody else."
Link

Evans999

Can be read in two ways. Sounds ominous as it's the 27th of June. Ole must know by now how much he has to play with.

Could be a "don't get your hopes up" message to fans or the club are playing down transfer funds so clubs wont bleed us dry. Hope it's the latter

AaronRedDevil

Just get Sancho. For the love of god. Get him and united will be competitors for the PL again.

forevrared

No one is going to spend big, and Barca and Juve's little price fixing game will ensure none of the top players move at cut rates. Probably going to be a very quiet summer all around,

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Damn, I'm disappointed. Why couldn't he have said "slap a £130m Sancho price tag in our faces, we've got a £200m war chest beby" :(

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m hopeful that he is just downplaying our situation because I think we are going to be in trouble if we don’t invest at all. This still seems to me like the perfect opportunity to get Sancho this year, and with players of that quality you might not get a second chance.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Champions league or not will have a big impact but I'd be very surprised if we spent as much as last summer net. There is a £100m hole in the accounts.

Donald Silverbridge

How about some of you calm down, I don't want us to brag about how much money we've got this summer, I want us to deals quietly if we can.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Funny how people like to think Ole is downplaying things or doesn't want to reveal what's really going on when everytime he's telling it as it is

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reverse psychology. The years of “we can do things in the transfer market other teams can only dream of” have led to us being ripped off constantly.

Marcus

It's probably a mixture of reality and keeping expectations of other clubs and our supporters on an even keel.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Woodward has been giving the same impression for over a month now, many just chose to overlook it.

Transfer activity I expect to be minimal. Likes of Jadon Sancho etc. are a pipe dream.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
We've a good enough squad now that we need to let them play together more. We can add to the squad next year if Ole thinks its neccessary.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
While stating an obvious truth, that no one knows how the land lies at the moment with the impact of Covid, it's also smart by Ole. No more discussing how much we can spend and so on, I'm pretty sure if we want to get a player the money will be available.

ReddevilTinu

I would prefer to give such statements even if we have cash in hand. This ensures that we don't get over inflated prices for for the targets.

I believe SAF or any good managers don't talk about the loads of cash their club has to spend on players. Liverpool are good example cleanly buying players they want rather than telling the world they have funds. This ensures that they get fair price and if the target is too costly they can walk away without facing embarassment to the fans and media. Not many knew about SAF Nani and Anderson deals. Not many knew about recent Liverpool's Allison or Fabinho deals

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Smart talk from Ole with a liberal pinch of pragmatism. I'm sure the club will have budgets worked out based on league finish and possible champions league qualification. I doubt we will see massive net spend and I think just one key addition to the team may be a lot more than the like of Arsenal and Spurs etc. What's also important is how they manage the wage structure down. Rojo, Smalling, Jones and hopefully Sanchez off the books as well with the addition will of Sancho or A N Other RW will be a good summer given the circumstances

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What more do people want him to say :lol:

It really makes me laugh that people get disappointed by him being cautious. What good is it if he says "WE'RE LOADED BABY! come look at my warchest, who wants some money this summer?!"

We genuinely don't know if we will get CL money which could boost us massively by Uefa and Adidas. We have probably made projections on the loss of match day income and yes it'll add up for sure, but I suspect we will still have enough to make a few moves.

Let's not forget EVERY club is in the same position, it might make clubs more inclined to sell, or they might want to hold on and wait until next year when things improve.

I think some fans need to prepare for no Sancho this summer just in case.

SATA

Serie A teams are skint or rather stingy but i read Inter are going to spend 40M on a right back. I am sure we can cough up the money if the player we want is available for the right price. It’s also a good way to avoid being ripped off

Skills

Snitch
Coaches should always assume they're not going to have any money to spend.

Deery

Dreary
Makes sense to see what the market is doing before jumping in, I’d be very surprised if we signed Sancho tbf.

zenith

He's right on point with what he's saying. The season is not over and we are by no means certain about the match day revenues from next season either. It's a very tough projection to make.

Also, if we need 110 odd million to buy Sancho, who supposedly the last piece of the jigsaw, then we're certainly not doing that by emptying out our cash reserves or using credit lines, which is essentially a credit card. Besides, using a credit line when future revenues are uncertain is a recipe for disaster.

A lot of the transfer money might also depend on sales and we've seen how reluctant clubs are to spend this season.

It's gonna be way tougher than what people expect.

Tel074

He's probably just being realistic but didn't he say something similar last summer ?
I'd expect us to push on this summer because we are starting to look like we are not that far away from being a good side again

UnitedFan93

Smart talk from Ole.

Think there's money to spend but we'll need to sell well to significantly boost our budget.

I wouldn't be against selling De Gea this summer tbh. We already have a ready made replacement for free and it's clear that De Gea is on the decline. Reckon we could get £50-60 million from PSG for him.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think I prefer him saying this, might mean we can haggle a bit more and not pay the usual Manchester United tax on players.

I didn't expect a massive amount of business anyway. Probably one big transfer like Maguire and a one or two more on the Daniel James level. Don't forget we have bought two £50m~ and an £80m~ player in the last year. Sure, we recoup money from sales but I don't expect us to make mega money from Sanchez, Smalling and Rojo's departures assuming they happen. Other clubs will be in this kind of situation as well.

We had a net spend of £130m~ give or take for this season. I fancy it to be less than that next term.

Robbie Boy

Every club will pretty much be in the same position. I would assume he has a fair idea what kind of resources are available but he's hardly going to broadcast it to the world.

Untd55

smart talk

gone are the days of us boasting of war chests
Honestly, whether you say you have a lot to spend or little to spend will make no difference in transfer negotiations. Manchester United's financial statements are available for all to see; it will give anyone a good idea of how much money they have.

Besides, that isn't even needed with Manutd. It is obvious they are one of the richest clubs in the world; any team is going to ask for a massive amount from them regardless.

---------------------------------------------------

I think we will probably spend £100m or less. If we sign Sancho, I would not be surprised if it is the only signing we make, unless we sell Pogba.

AFC NimbleThumb

The issue is we’ve spent a few seasons only pay ‘top dollar’ for players.

Look at what Chelsea are spending for Werner & Ziyech; that gets us a Maguire.

Hopefully we’ve got some Dan James-esque transfers up our sleeves; I think that’s why we’re pursuing Bellingham so hard but he looks to be off elsewhere. Even then Dan James at £15mil isn’t quite the level required for the aspirations we should have.

If we don’t spend massively in the next transfer window we’ll stagnate for another year; it will be telling how we respond to this years title winners.

UnitedFan93

He's right on point with what he's saying. The season is not over and we are by no means certain about the match day revenues from next season either. It's a very tough projection to make.

Also, if we need 110 odd million to buy Sancho, who supposedly the last piece of the jigsaw, then we're certainly not doing that by emptying out our cash reserves or using credit lines, which is essentially a credit card. Besides, using a credit line when future revenues are uncertain is a recipe for disaster.

A lot of the transfer money might also depend on sales and we've seen how reluctant clubs are to spend this season.

It's gonna be way tougher than what people expect.
True, it doesn't help also when you've got owners taking £20 million out each year

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The issue is we’ve spent a few seasons only pay ‘top dollar’ for players.

Look at what Chelsea are spending for Werner & Ziyech; that gets us a Maguire.

Hopefully we’ve got some Dan James-esque transfers up our sleeves; I think that’s why we’re pursuing Bellingham so hard but he looks to be off elsewhere. Even then Dan James at £15mil isn’t quite the level required for the aspirations we should have.

If we don’t spend massively in the next transfer window we’ll stagnate for another year; it will be telling how we respond to this years title winners.
Both had low release clauses. Let's not pretend Chelsea are negotiating gods, they've spent 75m on Kepa and Morata ffs.

Bondi77

One thing is certain and that is there is enough money for Bellingham if he chooses us as him visiting OT is the only concrete piece of info we have regarding a player we want to bring to our club.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I actually don't think it would be the end of the world if we didn't sign anyone, providing noone goes. I think we use Alexis as cover across the front 3 too.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What more do people want him to say :lol:
I want him to lie his arse off so twats like me get excited about transfers. I'll never forget the trauma of wearing club-shop Marcelo Salas pyjamas to school, and the laughter which followed me along the lonely corridors of Hogwarts when we didn't sign him.

sparx99

Until we know whether we have champions league as well then the budget could be affected up and down.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I want him to lie his arse off so twats like me get excited about transfers. I'll never forget the trauma of wearing club-shop Marcelo Salas pyjamas to school, and the laughter which followed me along the lonely corridors of Hogwarts when we didn't sign him.
:lol: :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

Both had low release clauses. Let's not pretend Chelsea are negotiating gods, they've spent 75m on Kepa and Morata ffs.
Kepa’s a flat out travesty. They bought Morata for £60mil , he was trash & they got £50mil back plus whatever the initial loan fee was; that’s damn good negotiating.

All teams have their poor transfers; low release clauses or not identifying Werner & Ziyech looks good business & leaves them with funds, potentially, for a Havertz.

We’re saying Sancho or nothing wining will be north of £100mil; so yes we’re obsessed with paying top dollar.