Ole uncertain of summer transfer funds

Keefy18

I think Ole is playing his cards close to his chest here. He has probably got 2 versions of who he wants coming in, depending on Champions league or not. It may all be built around 1 big player coming in, Lets say Sancho if we qualify, and perhaps a £50 mill player. Or maybe lets say Grealish and a £30 mill player if not. We will get one 'big name' in I'm sure and spend at least £100 million gross with some if not all of Lingard/Periera/Smalling/Rojo/Jones hopefully Sanchez moved on.
Pretty much agree with this, can see one marquee signing this summer and a lot of deadwood being shifted on.

I think the positive outlook is that the hangers on are definitely going to be moved on now to balance out the books. He's been fairly ruthless so far in cleaning out deadwood but I think due to covid it forces his hand more now in getting rid of them.

UncleBob

Honestly, whether you say you have a lot to spend or little to spend will make no difference in transfer negotiations. Manchester United's financial statements are available for all to see; it will give anyone a good idea of how much money they have.

Besides, that isn't even needed with Manutd. It is obvious they are one of the richest clubs in the world; any team is going to ask for a massive amount from them regardless.

---------------------------------------------------

I think we will probably spend £100m or less. If we sign Sancho, I would not be surprised if it is the only signing we make, unless we sell Pogba.
:lol:

eire-red

It's an uncertaint time to splash out, but also the best opportunity to spend in a long time - it will be a buyer's market.

The question is do we take the leap and spend now while clubs will be more willing to accept lower prices, and take on that added risk of more debt with future revenue uncertain?

Can we spend what we had originally planned within the guidelines of FFP? None of us know the facts, I'm sure there's plenty of number crunching going on behind the scenes. Whatever about Woodward and his lack of footballing knowledge, he's clearly a prudent financial man and we're probably in the best position to come out of this financial mess still in good shape with him at the helm.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Covid 19 recession isn't a valid and honest reason? I honestly don't know what the feck is then!

All clubs have been affected! TV revenue is there but obviously match day revenue is a loss.

We've no idea currently how long this is going to go on for either.

We don't have a bottomless pit of funding and our charitable efforts and fact we continued to pay all staff full wages through the lock down also need to be considered.
It was a tongue in cheek comment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
True, they haven't wasted anytime investing it
I’m not sure if you know the situation here. Werner has release clause that would be expired in upcoming weeks, if they didn’t act few weeks ago then they will lose the chance to get him cheaper, while our primary target Sancho doesn’t have release clause and cost so much money which require time for consideration and negotiation, we don’t even know if the new season will start the same date.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think Ole is playing his cards close to his chest here. He has probably got 2 versions of who he wants coming in, depending on Champions league or not. It may all be built around 1 big player coming in, Lets say Sancho if we qualify, and perhaps a £50 mill player. Or maybe lets say Grealish and a £30 mill player if not. We will get one 'big name' in I'm sure and spend at least £100 million gross with some if not all of Lingard/Periera/Smalling/Rojo/Jones hopefully Sanchez moved on.
I think this is exactly what you're waiting for, much will depend on whether you qualify for the Champions League or not. Chelsea already had acsh after Hazard sale and transfer ban and are probably forecasting they will qualify so are happy to spend early to take advantage while others wait and see. It's different for United.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Werner's on something like £270k a week at Chelsea. We aren't going to spend that sort of money on wages for a back-up striker.
Why is there the need to inflate prices and wages of players at or moving to rival teams?
* Werner moved for £47m on reported wages of 200k (some say less)
*Ziyech moved for £36m
*Hudson-Odoi is not on £120k a week. Seasonal achievements (team and individual) takes it up to almost 120k. Safe to say he is not getting that this season.
* No we have not bought Chilwell and certainly not for anything above £40m ( still a hard pass for me but Chelsea will Bakayoko a Drinkwater every season I guess)

Some of them are replies to similar misinformation a few posts back.

dalriada

It's an uncertaint time to splash out, but also the best opportunity to spend in a long time - it will be a buyer's market.

The question is do we take the leap and spend now while clubs will be more willing to accept lower prices, and take on that added risk of more debt with future revenue uncertain?

Can we spend what we had originally planned within the guidelines of FFP? None of us know the facts, I'm sure there's plenty of number crunching going on behind the scenes. Whatever about Woodward and his lack of footballing knowledge, he's clearly a prudent financial man and we're probably in the best position to come out of this financial mess still in good shape with him at the helm.
Absolutely, if nothing else we know how to maximize revenues and manage our finances. There is an air of unreality about some of the speculation, not just about Utd, but about spending in the transfer market generally. On paper it's a buyer's market, but the reason prices may be lowered is because the money won't be there to spend, just as, say, house prices fall when there isn't the money around to spend on them.

With the exception of those financed by autocratic middle-east states (not mentioning a club not very far from Old Trafford), most clubs are real businesses and, like many in the wider economy, they're deeply financially affected by this lockdown. We are better placed because we have such a strong and well developed income stream from merchandise and non-match revenue.

My guess would be that it will be very patchy, with some clubs forced to sell players to raise money while others hang on to players, rather than sell them at bargain prices, and try and ride out the crisis. That's before we consider other factors, like government measures in different territories. A lot of the player deals and movements that supporters would like to see won't happen, this window isn't going to be business as usual.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why is there the need to inflate prices and wages of players at or moving to rival teams?
*Ziyech moved for £36m
*Hudson-Odoi is not on £120k a week. Seasonal achievements (team and individual) takes it up to almost 120k. Safe to say he is not getting that this season.
* No we have not bought Chilwell and certainly not for anything above £40m ( still a hard pass for me but Chelsea will Bakayoko a Drinkwater every season I guess)

Depends on which sources you trust.

shaky

*Ziyech moved for £36m

The reported wage figure I heard was £270k. If you have heard reports of lesser wages, feel free to believe whichever report you like. My point wasn't a dig at Chelsea, I was merely pointing out that Utd seem to be trying to manage our wage budget properly for a change, so it's unlikely we'd be interested in allocating a significant part of that budget on Werner when we have other positions needing more immediate attention.

Cashmore8

So i just seen we will not meet Dortmund's asking price and won't pay anymore than 50 mill for Sancho..............

Denis79

I would be surprised if we or any other club does some big spending this window.

romufc

They had a transfer ban though and also sold a bunch of players in the meantime.
So there are conditions to it? Just because they have a transfer ban, they are not affected by covid?

Liverpool didnt spend last summer, will they this?

MyBloodIsRed

Imo this is a bit of posturing by the club to drive down the fee. Part of a narrative they want to use. Will be important what others are spending though or narrative goes out the window.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So i just seen we will not meet Dortmund's asking price and won't pay anymore than 50 mill for Sancho..............
It's a better way of doing things then issuing press statements that we can "do things other clubs can only dream of doing", or leaking to the press that we have 100m for the right special player.

ATXRedDevil

So there are conditions to it? Just because they have a transfer ban, they are not affected by covid?

Chelsea used the morata money for Werner.

They got 100m for hazard they never spent and got their highest earner off the books.

Liverpool barely spent last year, but spent over 300m euros over the three windows prior (granted they got a lot back for Coutinho alone). No doubt still paying fees on those on those acquisitions. I’m sure they have funds, but not 9-figure funds

Scarecrow

Having a week off

I am not sure what you mean by conditions. They will be affected by covid just as much as others but they are likely to have more cash reserves, I would presume, because of their positive transfer balance in the last few years. A big reason for that was their ban.

I don’t know if Liverpool will spend much this summer. Based on what happened with Werner I would guess no.

romufc

Surprising, then again they had a transfer ban last season, maybe it's that money?
Chelsea used the morata money for Werner.

They got 100m for hazard they never spent and got their highest earner off the books.

Liverpool barely spent last year, but spent over 300m euros over the three windows prior (granted they got a lot back for Coutinho alone). No doubt still paying fees on those on those acquisitions. I’m sure they have funds, but not 9-figure funds

I see this everywhere. Yes they are spending the Hazard and Morata money.

18/19 spent £200m and got 73m back
19/20 spent 50m with transfer ban and got 140m back
20/21 spent 93m already and will continue to do so.

This was the initial quote "I would be surprised if we or any other club does some big spending this window"

So Chelsea spend and it is because they have Hazard Money.
if City spend the excuse will be because they have rich owners
If Liverpool spend, will be because they have not spent last year.

So the statement is incorrect. If we spend 100m this summer that is big money.,

Number32

I see this everywhere. Yes they are spending the Hazard and Morata money.

18/19 spent £200m and got 73m back
19/20 spent 50m with transfer ban and got 140m back
20/21 spent 93m already and will continue to do so.

This was the initial quote "I would be surprised if we or any other club does some big spending this window"

So Chelsea spend and it is because they have Hazard Money.
if City spend the excuse will be because they have rich owners
If Liverpool spend, will be because they have not spent last year.

So the statement is incorrect. If we spend 100m this summer that is big money.,
Arthur join Juventus from Barcelona for £73m as Miralem Pjanic moves in the opposite direction for £64m but both clubs post a £50m profit.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...lona-post-50m-plus-profits-Pjanic-Arthur.html
On the surface the deals would appear to involved a simple exchange of €10m (£9.1m) between two clubs for whom that sum is a drop in the ocean, even in a post-Covid-19 world. But football finance expert The Swiss Ramble has revealed how both clubs could post £50m-plus profits from the transfers.
My point is every club would copy them for a big money transfer, so the initial quote "I would be surprised if we or any other club does some big spending this window" is true. Even PSG won't be stupid enough to splash a straight 100m for a player during this situation.
Chelsea has spent €93m for 2 players but got €71m in return after selling 2 players, so they just basically spending €22m this summer. This is why they won't stop in the Market right now. But could they spend another €100m? I don't think so.

romufc

Arthur join Juventus from Barcelona for £73m as Miralem Pjanic moves in the opposite direction for £64m but both clubs post a £50m profit.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...lona-post-50m-plus-profits-Pjanic-Arthur.html

My point is every club would copy them for a big money transfer, so the initial quote "I would be surprised if we or any other club does some big spending this window" is true. Even PSG won't be stupid enough to splash a straight 100m for a player during this situation.
Chelsea Spend €93m for 2 players but got €71m in return after selling 2 players, so they just basically spend €22m this summer. This is why they won't stop in the Market right now. But could they spend another €100m? I don't think so.
PSG havent spent the same money since Mbappe. They can't spend like they used to because of FFP.

Real spent alot last season, so did Barcelona.

Apart from Sancho and Pogba, there are not that many players in the market right now attracting that attention.

Well, if Chelsea go and buy Havertz or Chilwell, it will be close to another 100m euros.

Needham

Virus or no virus I'd spunk the farm on Ole's transfers. Pan him whichever way you want but he has a proper sense of the notion of a "United"player.

sp_107

As Ole's position is now secured compared to last December, can he bring in Odegaard and Haaland to UTD ?

These 2 with Sancho will take us to next level I think with an addition of someone like Carmavinga.

GazTheLegend

As Ole's position is now secured compared to last December, can he bring in Odegaard and Haaland to UTD ?

These 2 with Sancho will take us to next level I think with an addition of someone like Carmavinga.
I think people are not quite getting the zeitgeist of world football transfers quite yet or fully grasping the maths

Unless clubs lower their valuations of players we won't sign ANYONE. We haven't seen a fan in a stadium for months. We may have played out our TV money but gate receipts aren't an insignificant figure in our budget.

There are clubs sacking members of staff to save a few pounds and here we are talking about spending hundreds of millions.

It's not the real (covid climate) world to think about big figures as the crunch has hit us now.

OleBoiii

Real is not selling Ødegaard. Haaland has just been in Dortmund for half a season.

Ekeke

So all it takes to get to the next level is £300 million+ to sign all those players. Yeah thats totally going to happen

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Signing only Sancho is going to be a real effort by the looks of things, so I wouldn't be looking beyond him right now.