Ole v Spurs

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I expect us to win this game. This ‘massive underdog’ thing comes from the fact that we have ‘massively underperformed’ in recent times. Not based on the fact that Spurs have a much better team than us. The fact that we look to be playing to the level befitting the quality we have changes everything. No way should Spurs be expected to smash us. I’d have doubts over them smashing us even when we were playing poorly, but certainly not now. They may still win the football match of course, but it’s a match we have every right to win.

wolvored

Just have a feeling he might go for Lukaku upfront and one of Martial or Lingard will miss out. Hope not although I wouldn’t mind a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lukaku.
I think thats what it will be as well. Lukaku from the right, Martial left and Rashford Centre. Rashford and Martial and Rashford with Lukaku might be fluid.

Eire Red United

Agree with the line-ups with Young in them at RB.

I think the rest of the team basically gives itself. People are talking about Smalling returning, but I doubt Ole would throw him into a game like that when the defence has been keeping clean sheets (from "open play") in all matches so far. Don't see that happening at all.

I think the only other place that could be in contention would be Lingard's spot. I could see Ole perhaps wanting to make room for a Lukaku who has netted in all his appearances so far. So maybe Rashford taking Lingard's spot and Lukaku moving in up to. I don't want that myself, but I guess it could happen. If not then Lukaku and Sanchez are great alternatives to bring on.

In terms of tactics I really hope both our centerbacks and our fullbacks manage to be as brave and positive as they have been in the games under Ole so far. It really is integral to our style of play now. Jones and Lindelof need to be pressing high, and not dropping off as they did under Jose. They also need to keep bringing the ball forward and looking for a pass. Fullbacks need to add as much width and numbers in attack as they did in our first few games under Ole. I think it's a mental thing; daring to do it against better opposition as well.
Hopefully Lukaku stays on the bench, I know he’s scored in his last 3 but Rashford is a much better option up front at the minute and people under rate how important Lingard is for us.

Makelele

I really believe that Spurs might be the biggest test for Ole in the league. Simply because Spurs are built to exploit teams that play like United play, ie with wide attacking formations.

How does Ole stiffle the area in front of the defence while still being potent going forward? I don’t think he has the players to pull it off in the defensive phase.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As fun as it's been so far I am particularly worried about this match, they could tear us to pieces if we're not careful. As good as our attack has been the defence has looked very uncomfortable. I'll be much more confident of a win if Smalling's fit, with the way Jones has been playing I'd be very worried if he was starting. Think we'll line up:

DDG
Young - Smalling* - Lindelof - Shaw
Herrera - Matic - Pogba
Lingard - Rashford - Martial

*if fit, if not then we'll probably opt for Jones.

Wouldn't mind seeing us go for Darmian on the right for a bit more defensive stability.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Easiest line up to predict he says, while putting Valencia at RB :lol:
I think Tony will play at RB for this, given he played at Newcastle away, and was rested during the FA Cup. I’m a massive fan of Young and think Valencia is done as an attacking force, but he’s solid defensively, and I see it as a near cert that he starts this weekend.

crossy1686

career ending
We'll win this.

They're missing Son and will massively underrate us due to previous form this season. Rashford, Martial and Pogba to tear it up, 3 - 1.

Solskjaer and the team will know how to prepare and manage a game like this. Lot of experience there.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Could go either way. I think we have a better midfield (IF we have the first choice three available and Pogba performs). Up front though we still have inconsistent players and our defence is terrible. Spurs have less explosive attacking players but quality ones.

On our day I think we can win and look the better team, but Spurs on their day can do the same. Tottenham when they play well and when they don't are a million miles apart in terms of how difficult they make it for you. THey ripped Chelsea to shreds at Wembley yet when they played Liverpool there they looked like a lower league side.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We'll win this.

They're missing Son and will massively underrate us due to previous form this season. Rashford, Martial and Pogba to tear it up, 3 - 1.

Solskjaer and the team will know how to prepare and manage a game like this. Lot of experience there.
Son is still available. Also looks like they have Vertonghen and Dembele back from recent injuries.

I think our defence will let us down against what is a better team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I hope smallings fit for it, he tends to have a blinder against Kane. Everyone else has already posted the lineup I think it will be, Rashford should absolutely pretrify Sanchez with the form he’s in, I have a feeling he’ll give away a pen.

cyberman

Spurs makes or breaks Ole. Our fixture list after this is really kind (again) so beat Spurs and you could see a 9/10 winning run happening with only one real test v Spurs in between it all.
I'm not saying he'll be bluffing it but it'll set him up for a big job after Utd if we do look elsewhere.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Spurs makes or breaks Ole. Our fixture list after this is really kind (again) so beat Spurs and you could see a 9/10 winning run happening with only one real test v Spurs in between it all.
I'm not saying he'll be bluffing it but it'll set him up for a big job after Utd if we do look elsewhere.
Certainly not make or break for him. I'm pretty hopeful of a result but he's got far too much in the bank already for a negative result against title challengers to be anything other than a minor setback.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We need a draw.

..............................Lukakau.................
...................Pogba.............Mata..................
............McTominay...Matic....Herrera...........
Young...Rojo...Smalling....Darmian...Valencia

Sub Pobfa off at 60 mins and bring Fellaini on.

Mou rules! Lolzy.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I expect us to win this game. This ‘massive underdog’ thing comes from the fact that we have ‘massively underperformed’ in recent times. Not based on the fact that Spurs have a much better team than us. The fact that we look to be playing to the level befitting the quality we have changes everything. No way should Spurs be expected to smash us. I’d have doubts over them smashing us even when we were playing poorly, but certainly not now. They may still win the football match of course, but it’s a match we have every right to win.
Comes from managers that play in a style to “disguise our flaws”, it’s cowardly, not pragmatic. Maybe we won’t win but at the least we should be trying to win the game rather than side ways passing or parking the bus.

Josep Dowling

So over Christmas one of my mates was adamant the Solskjaer chant went ‘you make me happy when Spurs are playing’. He said the reason these were the words was because he always scored against Spurs.

He literally argued for 20 minutes until the United game was on TV and he could hear the fans chanting ‘when skies are grey’.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We need a draw.

..............................Lukakau.................
...................Pogba.............Mata..................
............McTominay...Matic....Herrera...........
Young...Rojo...Smalling....Darmian...Valencia

Sub Pobfa off at 60 mins and bring Fellaini on.

Mou rules! Lolzy.
Sneaking an extra man on the pitch should help towards that, unless we're playing goalie when needed

cyberman

Certainly not make or break for him. I'm pretty hopeful of a result but he's got far too much in the bank already for a negative result against title challengers to be anything other than a minor setback.
I'm not saying it'll be a disaster but the easy fixture brigade will be out in force and it won't reflect well on Ole then its an easy fixture list until fecking Liverpool at home.
If Ole can get over this hurdle then his star really is shining. The potential for a massive winning run really does come into focus

tomaldinho1

I expect us to lose because Spurs are just much better than us currently. My biggest concern is at Right back, Son will have an absolute field day vs Valencia/Young/Darmian/Dalot and we still don't pose any threat from the RW going forwards which kind of renders that flank useless. If we play wide, I think it hands them the advantage - all they need to do is double up on Martial and smother Pogba and that's basically our build up play gone. A tough day in the office for Ole.

I actually think a 4-4-2 is our best bet here, not a flying wingers type setup - but a narrow, robust old school AC Milan diamond formation with Martial & Rashford up top and clogging up the midfield with Herrera, Matic, Lingard and Pogba. With two up top I think you limit how far forward their fullbacks will roam (particularly because of how fast Martial and Rashford are) and in midfield it's just a bit of pressing match.

Edit: just saw Son unavailable and got a semi. Hope is kindled.

nainaisson

I concede that we're vastly improved going forward, but our back line is atrocious and not befitting of a title contender. Of the top 6 teams, only Arsenal are worse at the back than us.

I'm not 100% sure who's going to win the game, but I am sure Phil Jones will score at least one own goal. If we're now good enough going forward to win in spite of Jones at the back, great for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Comes from managers that play in a style to “disguise our flaws”, it’s cowardly, not pragmatic. Maybe we won’t win but at the least we should be trying to win the game rather than side ways passing or parking the bus.
That’s it really. We can’t keep outspending Spurs for years but be scared shitless when we face them. The players need belief and to be reminded that they are all top international players themselves.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I concede that we're vastly improved going forward, but our back line is atrocious and not befitting of a title contender. Of the top 6 teams, only Arsenal are worse at the back than us.

I'm not 100% sure who's going to win the game, but I am sure Phil Jones will score at least one own goal. If we're now good enough going forward to win in spite of Jones at the back, great for us.
Phil Jones may not even play. Our defenders are not the best. They too need confidence, as they can probably do better. The likes of Trippier and Ben Davies especially would never have been signed by us from Burnley and Swansea. These are not some top players who are much better than ours. They are playing with confidence and self belief though. They have quality centre halves though, but I am confident that a combination of Smalling and Lindelöf can be good enough. Maybe not good enough to keep a clean sheet, but then Spurs should not be keeping a clean sheet against what we can throw at them either.

Morpheus 7

I expect us to lose because Spurs are just much better than us currently. My biggest concern is at Right back, Son will have an absolute field day vs Valencia/Young/Darmian/Dalot and we still don't pose any threat from the RW going forwards which kind of renders that flank useless. If we play wide, I think it hands them the advantage - all they need to do is double up on Martial and smother Pogba and that's basically our build up play gone. A tough day in the office for Ole.

I actually think a 4-4-2 is our best bet here, not a flying wingers type setup - but a narrow, robust old school AC Milan diamond formation with Martial & Rashford up top and clogging up the midfield with Herrera, Matic, Lingard and Pogba. With two up top I think you limit how far forward their fullbacks will roam (particularly because of how fast Martial and Rashford are) and in midfield it's just a bit of pressing match.

Edit: just saw Son unavailable and got a semi. Hope is kindled.
We beat them at Wembley last year in the semi final, Wolves best them a week ago at home. United are playing alright and I think we could get a result there, no reason we can't win. There are weaknesses at the back for sure, United can hurt them up top too. Under Jose we simply didn't press properly. I think with another big performance from our full backs, combined with a press of Rashford, Jesse and Martial we could get something, your right in thinking we should play them. Then subbing on Alexis to keep it going up top we will score. This match will be won in midfield, Spurs bossed us at OT in the second half. We need Pogba, Herrera and Matic to combine well. We may get beat but I'm confident of getting something. The players will want to prove that there is more to the last few weeks than just easier fixtures. Spurs have a fantastic 11 but they are Tottenham, they still shave that flakey element to them. We need to take our chances this time, Young and Shaw need to play with adventure but caution of there counter attack.

Tony247

Spurs must be worried. They just got up after a knock, only to see a big wounded angry gorilla is coming at them with a point to prove.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Easiest line up to predict he says, while putting Valencia at RB :lol:
Valencia started two games ago and was rested yesterday and Young played 90 minutes. So yes, I think it is easy to predict. I'm not saying that's who I would pick, but I think that's who OGS is going to pick

ErranMorad

I don't think this game is as important as people on the cafe & the media are making it out to be. Somehow this has become the barometer on which our squad and more importantly Ole will be measured on. Everything before this way a piece of cake and this is the real hurdle we need to cross. If somehow we fail, it's back to square one. The work done in the last 5 games was just due to some "feel good factor". I don't think that is the case at all. Win, lose or draw - there is still a lot of football to be played.

I am fairly confident for the game. I am confident in our team and Ole. I don't think we'll be as gung-ho as we have been in the last four PL games. We'll pay them the respect they deserve being one of the best teams in the premier league. Ole is a Sir Alex disciple and I expect him to adopt his big game approach in this fixture. We'll play on the counter (Not Jose's 6 at back pussy football; real counter attacking football) as we did under Sir Alex. I expect our midfield to sit back more than they have done previously, win the ball back and provide the platform for the front four of Pogba, Martial, Lingard & Rashford to hit them ferociously on the counter. We'' press and try to win the ball back in the attacking areas and see some fast transitions. Our biggest worry again will be stopping them scoring from set-pieces. That has been our biggest weakness and hopefully we'll have Smalling back to shore up the back line. I'll say it's a 50-50 game if both Pogba and Smalling are available.

Last edited:

Waynne

Please no Lukaku, a tleast until the 2nd half if we desperately chasing a goal. We don't need a 1 dimensional player against a dynamic team like Tottenham.

Give Tottenham something to think about by putting Rashford, Martial and one of Sanchez or Lindgaard up front. Rashford and/or Sanchez is able to drift and provide threats from either wide or central positions.

Young over Valencia for me. Shaw at LB.

Martial -- Rashford -- Sanchez

Pogba -- Nemanja M -- Herrera

Shaw - Jones - Lindelof - Young

-- The ever reliable Dave --

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Prior to the game, it will be all about the respective managers.

A reminder to myself. Win, lose or draw don't take the bait with narratives galore regarding Poch and Ole after this game.

buckooo1978

Prior to the game, it will be all about the respective managers.

A reminder to myself. Win, lose or draw don't take the bait with narratives galore regarding Poch and Ole after this game.
funny you are the first one to bring this up

it's one game between an established manager who has moulded a team in his image and Ole who has been in charge for 5 games - very early to try a comparison

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Spurs away is one of the toughest fixtures in the league, I'm not confident of us getting anything from the game. It will be interesting to see the approach, whether it will be counters or play on the front foot

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I hope people don't make judgements on Ole just on the basis of this match. Let's give him six months to decide how he does. Even if he doesn't get a result at Spurs away then it doesn't necessarily mean that he's a bad manager.

Mcking

I'd go with a lot more defensive lineup like the ones that consistently got us good results in the big games.
De gea
Valencia Lindelof Smalling Jones Darmian​
Fellaini Matic Pogba​
Lukaku Rashford​
Long balls to Fellaini and Lukaku will be vital to bypassing the press.
:rolleyes:

redmanc

Christ it's just spurs, they are good going forward but we have some equally decent players we just need to attack, fast and fluid like we've seen lately. Rashford to score two!

Judas

Open to offers
I think Tony will play at RB for this, given he played at Newcastle away, and was rested during the FA Cup. I’m a massive fan of Young and think Valencia is done as an attacking force, but he’s solid defensively, and I see it as a near cert that he starts this weekend.
I'm almost certain you're wrong, but if you're right, it would further the discussion that Ole might not really be all that. Everyone and their dog can see Valencia is finished, if he starts at the weekend it would be shameful.

John Blund

I'd take a draw or even a loss. This game is all about to continue playing positive football. Which means there's no room for McTominay, Matic, Lukaku, Fellaini on the pitch at the same time. I might sound negative, but I really can't see McTominays contribution, aside from his height.

We'll win this!