Ole v Spurs

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SAred, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    We are the only team along with City with any sort of chance of catching Liverpool - we are in a title race - ok we could be in a better position of course however to right us off completely and dismiss us I think is a bit unfair. Liverpool may be in the middle of a bit of a wobble, who knows how they will react over the next few games - lots can change and plenty more points to win.
  2. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

I don't think Salah is world tbh, he was on world class form last season thought and carried his team to the CL final, that's what world class players do; Pogba did that, but Kane? Never. Comeback when he helps you win a big trophy 1st.

Kane is your typical case of English/British fans overrating the ability of an English player because he did a little step over or a piece of skills. Look at how now Rashford is better than Martial because he did an elastico against Bournemouth defenders and every flaws in his game have practically been erased from people's mind.
    Kane is a good striker but reading people on here, you'll think he's a Suarez reincarnated.
  3. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I think you are insane but it's your right to be wrong.
  4. Jan 9, 2019

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    That's fair. I don't think we're that far behind, but just enough that it'll lead to a relatively comfortable gap by the end of the season. I think Liverpool went out and made the difference this season by bringing in a top class goalkeeper, added great depth in midfield and Shaqiri will get them a few points too. I think it has to remembered that whilst Pochettino is a very good manager, so are Pep and Klopp! They're two world class coaches who have built two excellent teams off the back of a very significant budget. The City squad in particular is unreal and we're 2 points behind them right now.

Those two really have set a ridiculous standard - City with 100 points last season, Liverpool this campaign having only lost once and accumulated 54 points .. they'd be totally out of sight most years.
  5. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Nah he's 100% correct. Everyone only rates Kane because he did a stepover.

(Uh ... when?)
  6. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

Salah was world class player last season. He proved it at high level. What have Kane managed? Nothing. The like of Ings and Carrol had season where they exceeded expectations scoring a good number of goals, do you think they are world class?

Kane is a good striker, but let wait for him to do something relevant for him to be labelled "world class"
  7. Jan 9, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Putting Spurs in the same Bracket as City is disingenuous in my opinion. There are so many factors that put City at a level above Tottenham, basically every way to assess a football team. Creating chances, preventing chances, starting eleven quality, squad depth, manager quality, league table, goal difference.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere where Spurs can actually beat City, it's arguable whether your best player even gets into their team, that's how stacked their team is. This is a city team without their own best player by the way, a fit and firing De Bruyne will probably be what wins them the title if they do win it, they are unstoppable with him in the team.
  8. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

No need to argue again. Kane is not world class yet.
  9. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    It doesn't always work like that though - we know that and it's also part of the magic of football. Look at what Leicester did. Not saying that we will win it or anything but I do think that to utterly dismiss us is a bit premature.
  10. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    :lol:

I too remember when Andy Carroll and Danny Ings won the golden boot twice and then scored 40+ in a season.
  11. Jan 9, 2019

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

It’s not about PRIME, anything. I’d take Pele over the lot of them - what a stupid comparison you are trying to make.

Of all those players, in the here and now (because that’s what matters, and you can’t turn back time, can you?), I’d take Kane.
  12. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Ok so Salah is a proven world class player because of one exceptional season but despite Kane proving more than Salah over a longer period he is comparable to Ings and Carroll. Ok - just wondering if you actually read your stuff at all before you post it?
  13. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I really wouldn't take it seriously, it's comedy gold.

Ings and Carroll :lol:
  14. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I'm flabbergasted.
  15. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

What have Kane achieved in his career so far? What makes you think he's world class?
  16. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I don't even need to prove that anymore thanks to your latest absolute belter of a post - all I need to do now is try and prove that Kane is better than Danny Ings and Andy Carroll. You really do lay down a difficult challenge.
  17. Jan 9, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Mate I already said that anything can happen in football. And you can't be blamed for having some optimism. But I'm being real here. I fancy United to get top 4 as well, but I'm not gonna be blind and act as if we are in a good position.

Spurs aren't in control of their own chances of winning the league, they have to hope Liverpool and City bottle it. You've got 6 points to make up with Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Etihad and a North london Derby left. It's a monumental task for Spurs to win the league from this point.
  18. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    It is for sure and I'm not blind to it - but like you said I'm a foolishly optimistic football fan who will hold on to that dream while there is still a chance.
  19. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    We're not winning the league. I don't think @balaks thinks we will, just that we are keeping it a possibility, no matter how small.
  20. Jan 9, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    We were discussing what it means to challenge for the league. I think that Spurs are not challenging because their chances of winning it are close to zero.

Have hopes all you want, I have no right to say that a football fan can't hope. But Spurs currently challenging for the title is not reasonable in my opinion.
  21. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

No, seriously, tell me what has Kane achieved to be world class?

Kane had a season where he managed 40 goals, it was an anomaly season like the ones Carrol and Ings had in their career. Don't know what's bizarre their.
  22. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think we're staying in with a small shout. I'm not going to go ahead and say we're putting up a serious challenge, we're very clearly a distant third favourite.

tbh I don't really think we're challenging right now, I think the loss against Wolves killed any serious talk about that.
  23. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Mate Kane is in his 6th season as a regular first teamer (well you could argue 5 as his first breakthrough season he wasn't strictly a regular) - he has scored over 30 goals in 3 of those seasons so far - he got 28 in 15/16. Is he likely to make a habit of scoring over 40 goals in a season? No probably not. Does that mean he can't be considered world class? I don't think so.

His +40 goals season I guess you could call an anomaly as it was the first time he has achieved it but his goal scoring record is one of the best around regardless.

Salah who you seem intent on comparing him with has only ever scored 20 goals or more once in his career which was last year (he is also a year older than Kane).
  24. Jan 9, 2019

Honestly mate, look yourself in the mirror. Your posts are utterly embarassing.

Are you the same bloke who has been arguing that Lukuku is as good as Kane in the Lukuku thread?
  25. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

What's the definition of world class according to you? What are the criteria to be labelled with that tag?
  26. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Erm he scored 35 the season before, and is well on course to get around the 40 mark this season as well. In what alternate universe is that an anomaly rather than a clear sign of a career progression? He's won the Premier League golden boot twice, and has been runner up twice. It's not a fluke season, he is doing it every year.

Also, stop with the bizarre Carroll and Ings comparisons, it's really weird. You're just digging yourself in to unnecessary holes. Neither of them have ever got close to scoring as many in a season as Kane, not even in their best years.
  27. Jan 9, 2019

Jacckk1985 New Member

Spurs vs United vs Mike Dean. Epic Threesome.
  28. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    For a player to be world class I would suggest he should be seen as one of the 5 best players in his position in the world - it is hard to define but if I was to try and do it that is what I would choose.
  29. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

1st answer the question I asked you. If given the choice between Suarez/CR7/Lewa and Kane, who'd you pick for United?

And no, don't think Lukaku is better than Kane.
  30. Jan 9, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    To be honest I don't think you were serious challengers before that. You were 6 points behind before the Wolves game anyway. Going past the banter of bottling, I think Liverpool are actually the ones in the beginning stages of a bottle. A draw would have been fine at the Etihad, but that 2nd half display from them was something else really.
  31. Jan 9, 2019

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

:lol:

Someone dropped a faulty firework in this thread. I've read some hilariously illogical posts on the caf but comparing top scorer in the most recent World Cup and two- time Premier League Golden Boot winner Harry Kane with Andy Carroll is right up there.

Apart from that was has he really done though?
  32. Jan 9, 2019

M16Red Full Member

Watched the Chelsea game the other day vs spurs - Chelsea played with no striker and were the most attacking team. The main problem will be... is it "Son"? the player that seems to roam, he was popin up all over the place. If Pogs shows up he will dominate that midfield.
  33. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I see where you are coming from but like I said - while the hope remains I'll see us a being in a title race. As for Liverpool - I agree, to be brutally honest I do not think they have played exceptionally well apart from the month running up to Christmas when they stepped it up a gear - before then in the league they were not playing well and getting quite fortunate results. Time will tell which is the real Liverpool but I do not think they will win the league if I had to bet.
  34. Jan 9, 2019

LoveFootball New Member

Suarez, CR7, Lewa, Benzema, Aubamyang, Mappe, Griezman. That's 6 players who are better than Kane in that position, so according to your criteria Kane is not world class, right?
  35. Jan 9, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    That is your opinion and fair enough if you think they are all better than Kane then I hold my hands up and can say with certainty that you do not think Kane is a world class player.
  36. Jan 9, 2019

I don’t mean to quote myself, but I’ve already answered your question - see above.

Your welcome.
  37. Jan 9, 2019

breakout67 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    I was pretty fecking annoyed at the luck Liverpool was getting during their period where they were grinding out results. Several penalties not given (that tackle on Son :lol:), several offside goals, that Pickford blunder in the 5th minute of injury time (when 2 minutes were allotted by the ref :lol:). I'd say they would be 2nd place based on Merit behind City by a 2-3 points.
  38. Jan 9, 2019

Bilbo Full Member

I can't think of more than one or two clubs that wouldn't want Kane if he was available
  39. Jan 9, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    In your opinion, sure. You think the current Benzema and Aubameyang are better than Kane? You go girl.
  40. Jan 9, 2019

M16Red Full Member

The big bad wolf is coming....i see the Stretford end rising...