Ole v Spurs

StrettyEnder07

You know we have this debate once every three or so months and Kane might finally have sneaked into the "top 10 strikers, but we won't accept just any forwards, they have to be pure number 9" list .

It isn't due to Kane suddenly becoming a better player. It's because world class strikers like Lewa, Suarez and Benzema have become worse players.

Do you think Kane is as good as peak Suarez or Lewandowski? If you think so then fair enough.
You can't be saying Benzema is a better striker than Kane surely???

StrettyEnder07

Young’s been extremely ropey defensively in recent weeks, Dalot’s defending has been poor from day one and we’ll have to do a lot of defending at Wembley. I’d say there’s a very good chance of Valencia starting, whether you like it or not. It’s a toss up at right back and whoever Ole chooses it won’t tell us anything about how good he is as a manager.
Young will start at right back with Shaw at left back, Dalot is far to young and inexperienced at this level to be starting and Valencia is just.........well Valencia, woeful, only decision that needs to be made from our starting 11 is who partners Lindelof, looking like Jones only option unless Smalling is fit for it.

matt10000

understand people who only watch the PL and not more other league can think that Kane or Alli are world class because they are some special players here
I seem to remember Kane winning the Golden Boot at the world cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Cook

Supports
AJAX
Being neutral it's surprising how fans exaggerate the quality of their players .
Kane is truly world class.

Nobody else is , Progba , Eriksen , Toby the Belgium , De Gea, are occasionally on their day but nowhere near Kane.

Then comes Son , Verts and Ali .
On overall quality Spurs are superior .

StrettyEnder07

Being neutral it's surprising how fans exaggerate the quality of their players .

Nobody else is , Progba , Eriksen , Toby the Belgium , De Gea, are occasionally on their day but nowhere near Kane.

De Gea is not world class haha you need to take a break from smoking mate

rpg

Kane, 14 goals after 21 league games. Hardly spectacular but i will accept him as being world class. Majorly due to the fact there aren't many world class strikers in the world currently.

If i were to rank the few striker/forward that came across my current mind, i would rank them like this:
Tier 1 Ronaldo, Messi
Tier 2 Ronaldinho, Ronaldo Lima, Neymar
Tier 3 Zlatan, Batistuta, Raul Gonzalez, T.Henry
Tier 4 Rooney Aguero Lewandowski D.Villa Nistelrooy G.Muller
Tier 5 Benzema Kane Higuan Cavani

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Kane, 14 goals after 21 league games. Hardly spectacular but i will accept him as being world class. Majorly due to the fact there aren't many world class strikers in the world currently.

If i were to rank the few striker/forward that came across my current mind, i would rank them like this:
Tier 1 Ronaldo, Messi
Mate that is over a goal every other game - that's extremely good. He is going to easily (barring injury) get over 20 league goals again this season - it may not sound like a lot but look at other strikers records and you will see that not that many actually hit 20 on a regular basis.

lex talionis

Interesting take on the two names in bold. One could reasonably debate Pogba (but still be wrong), but it's ludicrous in the extreme to deny that De Gea is world class...and is "nowhere near Kane".

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Interesting take on the two names in bold. One could reasonably debate Pogba (but still be wrong), but it's ludicrous in the extreme to deny that De Gea is world class...and is "nowhere near Kane".
I'd agree with that - De Gea is clearly one of the very best GK's in the world - certainly in the top 3 - in my eyes that makes him world class. Pogba is open to debate though.

Darlington Padgett

I do think Kane is world class or at least close to it but my opinion on him is that he misses too many chances. Every game I've watched he missed 1-2 big chances.

Wotspur

Tier 1 Ronaldo, Messi
So how many seasons did T Henry and Van Nistelrooy win the Golden boot and or the WC Golden boot ? Kane has won both, several times in his 5 years , including this year. For each of these years he’s scored over 20 , and most seasons over 30.
As for England ONLY Man Utd fans would put Rooney in the top 3

For me Greaves Shearer Kane Lineker Rooney

Peter Cook

Supports
AJAX
So how many seasons did T Henry and Van Nistelrooy win the Golden boot and or the WC Golden boot ? Kane has won both, several times in his 5 years , including this year. For each of these years he’s scored over 20 , and most seasons over 30.

1,Greaves is the greatest English striker ever.
2. Shearer
3. Kane ( he will certainly overtake Shearer in time )
4. Lineker
Rooney had a glorious breakthrough and a few great years at the beginning but really not in the others class .

Peter Brewer

I noticed this is the second time in premier league Pochettino rivals Solskjaer. Wonder who wins next match. I favor Solskjaer.

Solskjaer was a failure in Cardiff, but however still managed to outsmart Pochettino and Southampton with a 1-0 win being the underdog in their first battle.

LoveFootball

I seem to remember Kane winning the Golden Boot at the world cup.

Some people value performance more than goals you know. A concept that many people on here miss. Kane was Golden boot in the WC but he wasn't in top 20 of best players in that tournament. In fact, despite his stats in PL, he struggles to get in the short list of every major individual trophy or best XI.

Wotspur

For Man Utd, whilst Rooney is your highest scorer , would he get in any of your fans selection of the top 5 forwards for Man Utd.

How about Best , Law Charlton , Sheringham , Ruud , Rooney , he’s certainly wasn’t better than the first 3 , I’m sorry I missed off Charlton from the England list , he’d be between Kane and Lineker

LoveFootball

For Man Utd, whilst Rooney is your highest scorer , would he get in any of your fans selection of the top 5 forwards for Man Utd.

How about Best , Law Charlton , Sheringham , Ruud , Rooney , he’s certainly wasn’t better than the first 3 , I’m sorry I missed off Charlton from the England list , he’d be between Kane and Lineker
He wouldn't because there's always concepts behind stats. Stats can make some player look good than they are, especially if that player is currently the best English striker who runs a bit and can pass the ball a bit.

Aloysius's Back 3

Ole or Rooney in our top 5?

OleTheGreat

Ole is definitely the perfect fit for United at the moment. I seriously doubt is Poch can do anything better than Ole. Of course he has done better than other with the current situation at Spurs and over the years but Ole is United through and through and also he's known the ways of our play since he's played under Sir Alex. We can get a lot better with his reading of the game skills and his team setup. We're gonna run circles around Spurs at Wembley. I expect us to score at least a couple of goals and have no less than 10 shots on target. We're gonna get our revenge for what happened earlier in the season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Sir Bobby was a midfielder, not a forward ;)

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Some people value performance more than goals you know. A concept that many people on here miss. Kane was Golden boot in the WC but he wasn't in top 20 of best players in that tournament. In fact, despite his stats in PL, he struggles to get in the short list of every major individual trophy or best XI.
Kane wasn't great in the World Cup tbh, did his job in terms of goals but he was nothing special aside from an excellent game vs Colombia. He's been in every PL TOTS for the past few seasons though, so I dunno what you're talking about when you say he doesn't get in to best XIS. He's also always on the shortlist for PL player of the season.

hocane

To be world class in my opinion you have to be able to create a chance out of nothing.

Harry Kane is not that player, he can't go past 3-4 man like Salah and Messi can and do it on his own. Great player, not world class, sorry.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
To be world class in my opinion you have to be able to create a chance out of nothing.

Harry Kane is not that player, he can't go past 3-4 man like Salah and Messi can and do it on his own. Great player, not world class, sorry.
Of all the definitions I've heard for being world class, this is quite possibly the worst. It's not Kane's job on the pitch to beat 3-4 players, he's world class at his role you just prefer the style of a player like Salah.

Also, Kane has created plenty of chances out of nothing, he did it 2 games ago against Wolves with a fantastic strike. There's also plenty of examples where he's bullied his way past a few defenders and scored (vs Southampton and Chelsea are the two that come to mind) so the idea that he can't do it on his own falls pretty short.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I'm surprised there are still people out there who question Harry Kane's status within the game. The guy has been a prolific goal scorer for 3 years now and he has done so in not only the PL but in European football and on the International stage as well.

He is in the top 5 strikers on the planet. If he is not world class then who is?

LoveFootball

Kane wasn't great in the World Cup tbh, did his job in terms of goals but he was nothing special aside from an excellent game vs Colombia. He's been in every PL TOTS for the past few seasons though, so I dunno what you're talking about when you say he doesn't get in to best XIS. He's also always on the shortlist for PL player of the season.
Sorry, I'd have precised "XI world best" because the debate was not if he's one of the PL's best striker, but if he was World Class.

LoveFootball

I'm surprised there are still people out there who question Harry Kane's status within the game. The guy has been a prolific goal scorer for 3 years now and he has done so in not only the PL but in European football and on the International stage as well.

He is in the top 5 strikers on the planet. If he is not world class then who is?
Lewandoski, Ronaldo, Suarez, Benzema, Mbappe, Aubamyang. Those are 6 strikers who're better than Kane.

And when did Kane have been prolific in European stage?

Redforever<3

He won the golden boot at the wc with 3 of 6 goals being from penalties. And he was generally gash.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Lewandoski, Ronaldo, Suarez, Benzema, Mbappe, Aubamyang. Those are 6 strikers who're better than Kane.

Kane is averaging over a goal a game in CL football: Games: 9; Goals: 13; Game-winning goals: 4

Of the 6 you consider better, only Lewa, Mbappe, Suarez and Ronaldo are equal to or better than Kane.

No idea how Aubameyang or Benzema made your list ahead of him.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Kane is averaging over a goal a game in CL football: Games: 9; Goals: 13; Game-winning goals: 4

Of the 6 you consider better, only Lewa, Mbappe, Suarez and Ronaldo are equal to or better than Kane.

And of those six, Mbappe might be the only one I'd rather have over Kane at United. Possibly not. Point being, Kane is obviously one of the top 5 strikers in the world and has been for a while.

LoveFootball

Where did you get these stats?

Aubamyang and Benzema are there because they are simply better strikers than Kane. Of course you're free to disagree, it's a matter of opinion.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Aubameyang and Benzema are not fecking better than Harry Kane. The latter in particular is a joke inclusion, he has 7 league goals this season, there's no Ronaldo to excuse it any longer. Why are you still including him in your list when he hasn't had a top class season in years?

Auba has the same league goals with less assists, whilst being far less influential outside the box. The fact you're including him while saying Kane is 'limited and not good in overall play' in earlier posts just screams to me that you just don't like Kane as a player, rather than that you have genuine reasons for not rating him. You also seem to have something against English players, so perhaps this is a factor too. What is Aubameyang better at than Kane aside from getting in behind? Why is Benzema a better striker despite scoring half as many goals?

I personally don't think Suarez is better than Kane anymore, not in his current state. In his prime he was comfortably superior IMO and the 3rd best player in the world, but he's past his best now. I think it's close between Lewa and Kane but give Kane the edge in the last season or so, though I can understand why people would rate either of these players ahead of Kane. Mbappe is an incredible talent but I'll be fully honest and admit I don't watch Ligue 1 enough to judge him properly. Ronaldo is well .. Ronaldo.

Personally, I rate Kane as the best out and out striker in the world. That is a proper number nine, the complete package in terms of goalscoring and an ability to hold the ball up and involve his teammates. I understand why other people don't feel that way, but to still have Benzema ahead of him is just weird, I'm sorry. Benzema in his prime? Ok, there's an argument there. Now? Do even Madrid fans still rate him? I honestly think he was carried by Ronaldo's goals for years.

Red71

This is such a hideous post, I can only think it’s a fishing expedition.

Charlton between Kane and Lineker....? The second highest scorer of all time for England and England’s finest....you are on the wind up. Rooney the highest scorer for both and not even in the top three?

Only a Spud could under rate such quality (& coincidentally both ex-United players!!!) whilst simultaneously over rating one of their own. Not that Kane is a bad player but you’ve had a shocker with this one.

Prior to Rooney’s later years, he was a fantastic tour de force of a player. I don’t know why it even needs to be said. Would have a peak Rooney over a peak Kane any day of the week.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
https://talksport.com/football/4429...has-the-best-goals-per-game-ratio-in-history/

Outdated now since he played a couple of games after that, but his goalscoring ratio in Europe is fantastic. The idea that he hasn't been prolific on the European stage is very, very wrong. Unfortunately as a team we haven't been good enough to go far in the competition (through no fault of Harry's, who has scored goals against the likes of Barca & Juve in the competition) yet he's always been dangerous in the CL.

I know some people don't want to accept it, but the fact is that Kane has excelled at every level he has played at. League, in Europe and in international football, wherever he plays he will score goals. It takes a special kind of blind to ignore the fact he's one of Europe's top strikers.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
And of those six, Mbappe might be the only one I'd rather have over Kane at United. Possibly not. Point being, Kane is obviously one of the top 5 strikers in the world and has been for a while.
I'd love to make Kane a United player but the Levy factor is too much of an obstacle I fear.

Red71

.....and Sheringham in the top three... brilliant. That’ll be ex-Tottenham favourite Sheringham then...as voted for by a Tottenham fan...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Aubamyang and Benzema are there because they are simply better strikers than Kane. Of course you're free to disagree, it's a matter of opinion.
I got those stats from Google but I had a fair idea of his CL goal tally beforehand. Yes, it is a matter of opinion and I respect yours of course.

If Kane was Spanish or Brazilian or anything but English, would this particular subject even be up for debate?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is such a hideous post, I can only think it’s a fishing expedition.

Charlton between Kane and Lineker....? The second highest scorer of all time for England and England’s finest....you are on the wind up. Rooney the highest scorer for both and not even in the top three?

Only a Spud could under rate such quality (& coincidentally both ex-United players!!!) whilst simultaneously over rating one of their own. Not that Kane is a bad player but you’ve had a shocker with this one.

Prior to Rooney’s later years, he was a fantastic tour de force of a player. I don’t know why it even needs to be said. Would have a peak Rooney over a peak Kane any day of the week.
I'd take Rooney in his prime over Kane too. But then I think Rooney in his prime was an incredible player, undeniably one of the best in the worlds (not just one of the best strikers) and pretty much unstoppable on his day. I guess some people don't rate him as highly, perhaps because whilst he had a very successful career it kind of fizzled out compared to the level of talent he displayed early on.

I think Kane will end up overtaking Rooney as England's all time top scorer though.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I got those stats from Google but I had a fair idea of his CL goal tally beforehand. Yes, it is a matter of opinion and I respect yours of course.

If Kane was Spanish or Brazilian or anything but English, would this particular subject even be up for debate?
Thinking Benzema is better than Kane is a straight up bizarre opinion these days. He's better at nothing now, he's a shadow of a striker. He has half as many goals and half as many assists as Kane in the league this season.

A few years back he was up there with the best strikers, though for me never the best, but he's not been top tier for a while. Escaped being replaced because Ronaldo guaranteed a stupid amount of goals a season and enjoyed a solid partnership with him, but I expect he won't last too much longer there.

Red71

I'd take Rooney in his prime over Kane too. But then I think Rooney in his prime was an incredible player, undeniably one of the best in the worlds (not just one of the best strikers) and pretty much unstoppable on his day. I guess some people don't rate him as highly, perhaps because whilst he had a very successful career it kind of fizzled out compared to the level of talent he displayed early on.

I think Kane will end up overtaking Rooney as England's all time top scorer though.
I think that’s all fair enough. It’s the nonsense in the other post suggesting Rooney wouldn’t make top 3 strikers at United or England that hooked me. I appreciate your not the one saying it though.

The only debate is whether Kane will become England’s all time scorer. He’s a great striker but it is also a massive tally. Amongst other things, fitness will play a part but I suspect he’ll get close. He’s pretty ruthless.

Wouldn’t mind him having a crack at Rooney’s United record either tbf. ;0)