Ole v Spurs

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
'Its only Spurs' Sir Alex used to say but they have certainly become a very good team under Poch, so how will Ole manage his team against one of the best in England.

'His first real test' he said, will he try and out score them while playing on the front foot, will he park the bus, does he even know how to park the bus. How do you see Ole lining up and playing against Only Spurs.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
With players rested and a week between games, I think this will be the easiest line up to predict. I think Ole will send us out like he has. With an attacking intent and he will only change that if it's not working

----------------------------De Gea-------------------------
Valencia---------Jones-------------Lindeloff--------Shaw
---------------Herrara------------Matic------------------
Lingard------------------Pogba-----------------Martial
-------------------------Rashford-----------------------

buckooo1978

as long as fitness permits I'd put money on...

Young-----Smalling--------Lindelof-----Shaw
---------------Herrera------------Matic------------------
-------------------------Rashford--------------------------

on balance our best team

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
With players rested and a week between games, I think this will be the easiest line up to predict. I think Ole will send us out like he has. With an attacking intent and he will only change that if it's not working

Easiest line up to predict he says, while putting Valencia at RB :lol:

eire-red

Agree with your team, except I'd expect Young to start ahead of Valencia. This game is going to be really difficult, Kane vs Jones and Lindelof worries me. Spurs play quite narrow at times, with Alli and Ericksen often tucked in and Son offering width, so Matic and Herrera have a huge responsibility to disrupt their play. And when we do get the ball, Pogba will be key with quick transitions. Its a really tough one to call, I think we'll score but it will be difficult to win, but I expect a good, competitive game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Agreed. Except hopefully not Valencia.

Hard to judge whether the drop off in intensity and fluidity is due to the new manager bounce being over, disruption through changes or just physical tiredness, but I have no confidence in us getting a result here. But I'd far rather us go out and try to play football than go there hoping we can destroy their game and nick a lucky goal.

The thing is, Spurs are really good at stopping teams playing football. Will be interesting to see how Ole responds if we are struggling to strong a few passes together. Here's hoping Pogba can destroy them on the counter.

Easiest line up to predict he says, while putting Valencia at RB :lol:
You must have no idea how ridiculous this comes across. Some guy wants to offer his opinion in a friendly discussion and your only contribution is ridiculing an unbelievably insignificant aspect of it...

Dyslexic Untied

Agree with the line-ups with Young in them at RB.

I think the rest of the team basically gives itself. People are talking about Smalling returning, but I doubt Ole would throw him into a game like that when the defence has been keeping clean sheets (from "open play") in all matches so far. Don't see that happening at all.

I think the only other place that could be in contention would be Lingard's spot. I could see Ole perhaps wanting to make room for a Lukaku who has netted in all his appearances so far. So maybe Rashford taking Lingard's spot and Lukaku moving in up to. I don't want that myself, but I guess it could happen. If not then Lukaku and Sanchez are great alternatives to bring on.

In terms of tactics I really hope both our centerbacks and our fullbacks manage to be as brave and positive as they have been in the games under Ole so far. It really is integral to our style of play now. Jones and Lindelof need to be pressing high, and not dropping off as they did under Jose. They also need to keep bringing the ball forward and looking for a pass. Fullbacks need to add as much width and numbers in attack as they did in our first few games under Ole. I think it's a mental thing; daring to do it against better opposition as well.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Did Mourinho leave his notebook containing tactical analysis for PL teams we've faced?

Lucky Buttons

I think Ole gained a lot of experience playing teams that were better on paper or above on the table when he was in Molde. I think I has a good idea on how to prepare the team mentally and get the best out of them when playing. We might win, we might lose, but I don't think we will play with respect or park the bus.

Kapardin

I think Ole gained a lot of experience playing teams that were better on paper or above on the table when he was in Molde. I think I has a good idea on how to prepare the team mentally and get the best out of them when playing. We might win, we might lose, but I don't think we will play with respect or park the bus.
If he starts Valencia, we are crippled. I'm fearing that considering Young started against Reading.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think we're still firm underdogs for this.

We're going to have to run ourselves into the ground if we want to win, I think an incredibly intense press from Rashford, Lingard and Martial will be necessary to stand a chance.

If we have that intensity and take the game to them and bring an on-form Pogba, we can win. Think it'll be tough though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm hoping Phelan has wiped his arse with it
:lol:

On a serious note. We have played a few good games against Spurs. I am wondering how we will set up. I think we will be able to expose their defence if they set up to dominate, but if they choose a counter-attacking approach then they will most likely win, because they are so ruthless. We are probably worse at collectively pressing than them so if we go toe to toe in that we might lose. It is not an easy tactical game for Ole & co. Obviously we could just overload them with offensive runs and win 4-0 with Lindelof and DDG clearing everything.

Greck

Hopefully he can top the first tie and provide us with a solid 45 minutes of attacking football where we only lose 2-0

reddevil80

Good choices except for Valencia. As much as I dislike Young, he or maybe even Dalot at RB for me.

reddevil80

I hope that our front line has rested enough and come back firing on all cylinders as we are going to need them with our defensive frailties. I hope he has us going for the jugular from the get go. I don't see him as being a particularly defensive minded manager so our mid and strikers have to be on top form.

lex talionis

We go into this one as the underdog, so while all eyes around the football planet will be on us to see how we fare against the first big club we're playing under Ole the pressure will be all on Spurs. But on top of that is the fact that we'll be facing our presumed next manager.

If Ole somehow bests Pochettino on the tactics and comes out with the win, the decision to bring in Pocchettino isn't as straightforward as it seems right now.

Andersons Dietician

Just have a feeling he might go for Lukaku upfront and one of Martial or Lingard will miss out. Hope not although I wouldn’t mind a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lukaku.

Kag

Hopefully we play with positivity and try to win the match. That’s non-negotiable, even though not doing so (and justifying it) is probably ingrained as normality for some of you folk. Somewhat understandably, mind you.

Of course, we can’t go balls out with players all over the pitch either. I would like to think that between Ole, Phelan and Carrick they would be well aware just how silly that would be.

Either way, lots of people are going to use this game to justify their already set opinions. If we win, then it strengthens the case for Ole ahead of the overrated, trophyless fraud Pochettino. If we lose, of course Ole is naive, not ready and not remotely in the same league as his rival on the touch line. Unless we draw of course, and we’ll all abuse the players instead, crying out for quality from the nether regions of the Premier League and beyond. In short: a true shitfest.

I’m just looking forward to the game, which in itself is a nice feeling.

LingiBW

If he starts Valencia, we are crippled. I'm fearing that considering Young started against Reading.
8 days between games, thats long enough recovery time. Valencia has no place currently in the starting lineup

RooneyLegend

You have to worry about our defence vs their attack. Our attack is also quite 'green' and isnt quite all that efficient. Their midfield is far from intimidating. Hererra is born to handle the likes of Eriksen and Pogba on a good day isn't going to be limited. I'd back Matic to use his intelligence to deal with Alli. Winks isn't the type to do anything productive with the ball and he'll be under pressure. I'll be caught dead before I worry about the likes of Sissoko.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Good choices except for Valencia. As much as I dislike Young, he or maybe even Dalot at RB for me.
Based on what I've seen in the last five games I wouldn't take any of them. Valencia is unfit. Young was so appalling vs Reading that I don;t know what to think and Dalot isn't experienced enough to throw him up against Spurs attack.

I think we might see Darmian come into a defensive back four.

Patrick08

Just have a feeling he might go for Lukaku upfront and one of Martial or Lingard will miss out. Hope not although I wouldn’t mind a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lukaku.
I don't think so, we'd be playing on the counter and those three are the best to get in behind with their movement and provide options for mid to pick a pass and bring us up field. Sanchez Lukaku are a great option of the bench. Fellani on the bench could also provide plan B.

klsv

Would you reckon he'd try to play five at the back? Young - Lindelöf - Jones - Darmian - Shaw. Our problems against lesser sides under Ole was wingbacks playing very high, leaving Lindelöf as RB. It's especially bad when you have Valencia instead of Young as right back.

simplyared

His starting line-up for the Spurs game, I think we all know and most of us agree is also the best team we can put on paper right now. The midfield trio of Herrera/Pogba/Matic speaks for itself. However RB could be any of 3 players: Valencia, Dalot or Young. I reckon he'll go for Young. Lukaku and Sanchez on the bench. Fred, our 50 million buy, nowhere near!

AgentP

With our players actually playing to their potential now (even the defence. It's just that they have very low potential), I think we have a good chance to get a result. This game will be all about the midfield battle and i think we are atleast as good as them in this department. I don't trust Jones against Kane and Son though. So I hope Smalling is ready by then.

Cockney Phil

Defeat to Wolves tells a tale. Bottlers in bottle bank lane. Spurs have played well but achievement is measured by trophies. Has Poch actually won anything as a Prem manager? There were similar stories in the past like the elegance of West Ham with Brooking or recently Liverpool under Bottler Rogers and Slippy. Never been worried about the Spuds, even when we were crap they remained in kicking distance. It’s all very pretty but where’s the beef?

Nirv

It will definitely be interesting how OGS sets us up for this game. The lineup and shape should be pretty straight forward and I don’t expect much surprises, last few games should have shown OGS enough barring any further injuries.

What I am intrigued to know would be how he wants the team to play. Do we still go gung-ho with the high line and press knowing the form and type of player Son is? He will definitely be running behind our channels from the space left by our full backs. How we handle Spurs established pressing is another matter, hoping we do not see a Mourinho style hoof and hope approach.

Big test of OGS tactical know how and whether he is able to drill his ideas to the players in a week. Looking forward.

AgentP

Would you reckon he'd try to play five at the back? Young - Lindelöf - Jones - Darmian - Shaw. Our problems against lesser sides under Ole was wingbacks playing very high, leaving Lindelöf as RB. It's especially bad when you have Valencia instead of Young as right back.
That would be a bad choice imo. Our midfield and forwards have all been in excellent form since Ole took over. Dropping one of them for another defender will affect our link-up play. Better to just stick with the formation that has given us 4 wins in a row.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We need to attack them, they're Tottenham they're not unbeatable.
I think under pressure both defences aren't perfect, I can see it ending something like 3-2 to either side.
Both teams are capable of blowing the other one away, it should be a good match.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Please no Lukaku. Leave him as a sub. Spurs defenders will make mincemeat of him. Let's not mess up a formula that's been working. Ole needs to leave the front 3 as is unless injury to one intervenes.

Andersons Dietician

Please no Lukaku. Leave him as a sub. Spurs defenders will make mincemeat of him. Let's not mess up a formula that's been working. Ole needs to leave the front 3 as is unless injury to one intervenes.
I get the feeling that people have forgotten just how good Lukaku was at Everton in a counterattacking side. He’s also 3 in 3 since his return.

I get that Rashford is a far more willing runner and presser but Lukaku still runs channels and stretches teams and has the added bonus that normally if he’s shoulder to shoulder with someone he is winning that. It’s just would his inclusion disrupt the sort of flow and intensity we’ve shown with the other 3, I’m really not that fussed what 3 we go with I just have this feeling Lukaku will start.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Smalling out injured still?

Will hopefully be a good game, and as mentioned, very intrigued to see how OGS approaches the match from a tactical POV.

Stratis

We have the quality to come away with a result here and we’ve built up momentum and confidence from the last 4 matches playing some impressive attacking football.

I expect this match to be no different, I think the lads and Ole will go out there and show the fans and opponents alike that there is still football to be played and we will be fighting till the end.

I’m really up for it, it can’t come quick enough.

reddevil80

Based on what I've seen in the last five games I wouldn't take any of them. Valencia is unfit. Young was so appalling vs Reading that I don;t know what to think and Dalot isn't experienced enough to throw him up against Spurs attack.

I think we might see Darmian come into a defensive back four.
Only if Jones is suffering would I like Darmian in back four. As for Young, he was played in a position he hasn't played in for a very long time but my main point was, out of Valencia or Young, Young would get it. My personal preference would be Dalot at RB for his pace and strength, plus, to Spurs he is an unknown quantity. I would fancy his chances against Rose more than Valencia or Young.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
—————de gea
Darmian—Lindelof—Jones
—————————————Shaw
———-Herrera—Matic
Lingard——Pogba——Sanchez
—————Rashford