Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-2 Man Utd (League Cup)
Man Utd 2-1 Spurs
Man City 1-2 Man Utd

P13
W7
D4
L2

Only Liverpool and Klopp remain undefeated against Ole and they should have lost the last game between the two, in this time he's beaten teams managed by Poch, Emery, Sarri, Lampard and Mourinho but yeah Ole is rubbish ain't he :angel:

Revan

Assumptionman
We are good at teams who allow us to play in counter-attack but very bad against teams who park the bus. The record doesn't surprise me at all.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think an element of it is that against the likes of City, we get that extra workrate and passion from the players - as we saw today. It becomes less a question of who has the technically superior players and more a matter of who simply wants it more (sorry for the cliche).

Against "lesser" teams we need to be able to play more technically and break teams down - I realise this isnt news.

I suppose what I am trying to say in a really roundabout way is that I think the manager has a far bigger impact on games against top teams, than they do against weaker teams. Against the latter you rely on creativity from the players, whereas against the best teams I think the tactics, discipline and motivation are more important. Our results would suggest to me, that Ole is doing well in the games where he can make a big impact, but is being let down by some of the players in the "easy" games. I would hope that with more investment and quality players, we would see better results across the board but especially in the games where we are currently struggling.

Foxbatt

I think an element of it is that against the likes of City, we get that extra workrate and passion from the players - as we saw today. It becomes less a question of who has the technically superior players and more a matter of who simply wants it more (sorry for the cliche).

Against "lesser" teams we need to be able to play more technically and break teams down - I realise this isnt news.

I suppose what I am trying to say in a really roundabout way is that I think the manager has a far bigger impact on games against top teams, than they do against weaker teams. Against the latter you rely on creativity from the players, whereas against the best teams I think the tactics, discipline and motivation are more important. Our results would suggest to me, that Ole is doing well in the games where he can make a big impact, but is being let down by some of the players in the "easy" games. I would hope that with more investment and quality players, we would see better results across the board but especially in the games where we are currently struggling.
I would say it's the opposite. It's easy for players when there is so much space against bigger teams. When you need to open up teams and at the same time stop them counter attacking us is where the manager needs to get his tactics and coaching correctly by training the moves in breaking down defences and the covering up if and when they turn over.
The goal we conceded should have been stopped. I am not individually blaming Ole but these variations should be practiced time and time again. I also feel that there is not enough talking or shouting in our defense. That would also help a lot. As Roy Keane has said individually DeGea is a top keeper as a defensive unit he is not that great.

Judas

Open to offers
This has really been known for ages. I don't really get why this drum is being banged. We need to improve against the defensive teams if we're going to have any hope of finishing top 4 and higher.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I would say it's the opposite. It's easy for players when there is so much space against bigger teams. When you need to open up teams and at the same time stop them counter attacking us is where the manager needs to get his tactics and coaching correctly by training the moves in breaking down defences and the covering up if and when they turn over.
The goal we conceded should have been stopped. I am not individually blaming Ole but these variations should be practiced time and time again. I also feel that there is not enough talking or shouting in our defense. That would also help a lot. As Roy Keane has said individually DeGea is a top keeper as a defensive unit he is not that great.
Nope I agree with what @Walrus said case in point is Spurs, they've essentially hired Mourinho to yes address the obvious slump they were in but also to turn Spurs' fortunes in the big games which is what always let them down under Poch

If the games against the likes of City were as easy as you're suggesting everyone would be beating them no?

The best managers make the biggest difference in the big moments and games (not saying Ole is one of the best though obviously)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This has really been known for ages. I don't really get why this drum is being banged. We need to improve against the defensive teams if we're going to have any hope of finishing top 4 and higher.
Because it's nice to 'drum' something positive rather than the usual vitriol no?

Judas

Open to offers
Because it's nice to 'drum' something positive rather than the usual vitriol no?
Of course, I'm all for some positivity on here, especially after great victories. I suppose I'm wary of getting my hopes up due to recent history. I'm not taking anything away from Ole and the team.

meninred

We are good at teams who allow us to play in counter-attack but very bad against teams who park the bus. The record doesn't surprise me at all.
It is in a sense true. Players like Rashford and Martial need space to operate. Nullify that and Manutd will struggle to win. That is one reason why the results are going to be inconsistent this season besides being a youthful side.
(Also traditionally we do very well against the big teams.) I am expecting manutd to finish between 5-7th this season.

Revan

Assumptionman
It is in a sense true. Players like Rashford and Martial need space to operate. Nullify that and Manutd will struggle to win. That is one reason why the results are going to be inconsistent this season besides being a youthful side.
(Also traditionally we do very well against the big teams.) I am expecting manutd to finish between 5-7th this season.
I think that the main problem is the total lack of creativity we have in midfield (when Pogba is not there) which makes really hard to break down teams that park the bus. On the other side, big teams who attack us leave space behind which gets exploited from Martial and particularly Rashford who is lightning quick.

Irwin99

When we get the first goal in those games I usually feel confident we're going to win. Teams play into our hands a bit when they leave space. I definitely think teams underestimate us, especially when we've had a few bad results against the smaller clubs.

I find it interesting that we've had a ton of penalties (all deserved that I can remember and we should have had a few more too) but it always amazes how defenders at better clubs generally crap their pants in some of the situations with our attackers when those at the lower clubs often don't. E.g., What the feck were Sanchez and Silva thinking recently... not complaining though :lol:

Web of Bissaka

Big game raisers and counter attacking tactic, exploiting spaces. Also helps that his players suddenly self-motivate prep 'emselves.

Rubbish vs smaller teams couldn't motivate players, and so clueless in breaking down park the bus tactic.

Gasolin

But then why don’t every single team in the world score against the top teams if they get that much space? This is not true. If motivation was the only thing needed then all the EPL teams would beat those so called top teams... it’s really not that. Yes we lack hunger in easy games and yes we have more hunger in bigger games but that’s not the only thing. Those teams don’t leave space easily unless you create it to exploit it.
Against smaller teams, you will get space too, and the ball, and you need to be willing more and we will score.

otherwise how have we scored 5 against Villa and Sheffield? Obviously it’s not a matter of space.

jackal&hyde

Because there are lots of posters that keep writing how he is the worst manager in the league when in practice he tends to come out on top of the "world class" managers out there while having the inferior squad. Against teams that park the buss it's less about tactics and more about individual skill from players to see that through ball that unlocks a defense; it was a player issue all along and with McFred coming good and Pogba on the way this will be taken care of too.