Ole vs Jose (United vs Spurs): who will have the superior league and cup placings?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes, the vaunted follow-up to the Ole vs. Frank thread (although they're obviously running concurrently!) comes by way of Ole vs Jose.

One, a mere amateur who is, claimed by some, literally the worse manager in the PL, and perhaps even the Championship. The other, according to some, walks on water and is a master of this here management game.

As things stand, the rookie got one over on the master in a team on team, mano e mano, manager vs manager footballing battle for the ages... further to that, there's a 1pt differential between the teams, so everything is there to play for.

Spurs are stated as having one of the best xi's in the league, whilst United's squad, and first xi, is routinely rounded upon as not being anywhere near good enough. It should be a non-contest, stroll in the park victory for Jose then, or is that going to be disproven?

Ole stumbles from dead man walking to someone who might last the season... if, per chance, the Norwegian neophyte does see the season through to the end, will he be trounced by the pugnacious Portuguese, or, is this contest closer than some would have you believe?

What sayeth you, redcafe?

Paul_Scholes18

We will do better in the Europa league and they will do better in the champions league. Neither will reach top 4. City will win the cups given the corrupt easy draws they get all the time.

Raw

I'm gonna go with Jose in the league. With the team he has he'll be better at taking points against the lesser teams, which is something we've struggled dearly with.

In the cups who knows. We seem to get difficult draws all the time and Ole does better against good teams so we're winning the cup double lads!

Red_Aaron

Mourinho has at his disposal the 3rd best team in the league imho. Anything less than top 4,even from this positon would be a failure. When the business end comes round he'll go all out for a trophy if his league position is still at its current level, wouldn't be surprised to see him bag an fa cup.

Oles fate will be tied to January, if the club do go big and crucially get some experienced players I could see a good late push, if recruitment is left to the summer we'll continue in the same vein as now with results fluctuating and being massively influenced by injuries.

Jose should absolutely perform better given his squad, should he do so however won't really tell us much about Ole imho

Alabaster Codify7

Jose will win the FA Cup or reach the final at least. League-wise, I'm thinking 4th, 5th at a push.

Ole will reach the semi-finals of the League Cup, in my opinion. FA Cup - out in the 3rd round at Wolves, narrowly. League - somewhere between 8-13th. Lower end probably. We aren't going all season without injury to Rashford and McTominay and that's us stuffed.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Mourinho has at his disposal the 3rd best team in the league imho.
I disagree.

They're the third best team in the league if you base their players on what they were, but base them on what they currently are they're 7th best, if not 8th.

Judas

Open to offers
Spurs. Better squad, even with its issues. I also think they'll be better at winning against the lesser teams, something we badly struggle with.

peridigm

Spurs. Better squad, even with its issues. I also think they'll be better at winning against the lesser teams, something we badly struggle with.
I agree. Jose will have his players working in his system sooner than Ole will get his players to be consistent. The only thing I think both clubs are level on is the January window. I don't see either spending much money if any. Maybe Spurs will spend on one player. Then again, if Ole throws some wins together over the next month he might convince Woodward to get him a midfielder or backup striker. If we didn't drop so many points against the bottom half of the table we'd be comfortably 3rd or 4th praising Ole.

Judas

Open to offers
I agree. Jose will have his players working in his system sooner than Ole will get his players to be consistent. The only thing I think both clubs are level on is the January window. I don't see either spending much money if any. Maybe Spurs will spend on one player. Then again, if Ole throws some wins together over the next month he might convince Woodward to get him a midfielder or backup striker. If we didn't drop so many points against the bottom half of the table we'd be comfortably 3rd or 4th praising Ole.
I think winning would do the opposite actually, if we do well Ole will come out with the happy with the squad line.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Still a point between them. Things are going to get interesting over the festive period.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If Ole spends big this January, then top four is a must. At this point, Ole has a slow start and I m not sure if he can make it up. If he spends big as I mentioned before, he will do it easily because with money spent on talented players comes an improvement in performance. Mourinho will not get that because he is managing Spurs.

Which makes what Poch did, even more remarkable every time money spent is put into discussion about performances

MrVolley

Yay. The Ole vs Jose cup. :rolleyes:

Is this what we have become?
A fanbase creating 'trophies' that we have a chance of winning.