Television OLED TV's anyone experience screen burn with one?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
not personally but my parent's back at home has a burn in for the big fat pause button on Sky because they left shows on pause so long and buggered off away from the tv instead of just recording them and turning it off.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wonder if Ole has an OLED next to him in the dugout.

Is it really so easy to get screen burn with an OLED? I think they've even started to put screensavers on modern TVs to prevent this sort of thing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Think I’d stay away from em for this reason. They should have auto off or an auto screensaver if it detects no movements for x amount of time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
not personally but my parent's back at home has a burn in for the big fat pause button on Sky because they left shows on pause so long and buggered off away from the tv instead of just recording them and turning it off.
I have an OH who does exactly this to the point we've had rows about it as there's no reason to not simply turn off the TV, or leave it running whilst you are on the phone or away from it for a period of time.

Wanting to buy an(other) OLED, which I won't be moaning about her doing it to, but am really concerned about the screen burn issue.

Really am curious how long a set can be left on pause before the burn sets in.

The orbiter on mine will turn the screen to a saver within around 30 seconds of a pause on its own installed apps (netflix, youtube etc.) but the problem is that it doesn't activate for external devices such as consoles or Sky/Virgin boxes, which is where the problems lie... she also has the idea to play animal crossing on the thing... which makes me worry about screen burn, too.

Bojan11

Is it really so easy to get screen burn with an OLED? I think they've even started to put screensavers on modern TVs to prevent this sort of thing.
Dude, shut up before I bump that Maguire/Beckham thread again. I am in charge now.

@Fortitude what tv are you buying?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Think I’d stay away from em for this reason. They should have auto off or an auto screensaver if it detects no movements for x amount of time.
Yeah, they do have their own screensaver for apps, but they don't recognise external devices.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I got a c9. Absolutely nothing.

Er id usually reply but

Paxi

The way I see it, you can afford it.

Paxi

Dude, shut up before I bump that Maguire/Beckham thread again. I am in charge now.

@Fortitude what tv are you buying?

Hes a twat. Well of course every tv is going be calibrated. Sorry Bojan, he's a daft cnut.

Also I may have went overboard with the swear words.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I got a c9. Absolutely nothing.

Er id usually reply but
Ya I have one, too, but I've never actively tried to damage the thing! :lol:

The vid @Bojan11 put up is very informative to me about the compensation cycles during standby. Didn't know about that as I've not kept myself up to date on tech post 2018 really where orbiters were the main thing protecting from the issue. He even says in the vid if you've got a post-<date> TV, it's less of an issue, so I do feel somewhat reassured.

She's not THAT destructive, but leaving the TV on pause for a solid 20 minutes to half an hour wouldn't be outside her usual, so I'm mindful within timeframes like that. I know when I'm not around, the thing will not be treated with diligence... so I better do my research before purchase.

I'm going to get an earful considering how precious I am with the one we've got to then go out and get another.

Paxi

Ya I have one, too, but I've never actively tried to damage the thing! :lol:

The vid @Bojan11 put up is very informative to me about the compensation cycles during standby. Didn't know about that as I've not kept myself up to date on tech post 2018 really where orbiters were the main thing protecting from the issue. He even says in the vid if you've got a post-<date> TV, it's less of an issue, so I do feel somewhat reassured.

She's not THAT destructive, but leaving the TV on pause for a solid 20 minutes to half an hour wouldn't be outside her usual, so I'm mindful within timeframes like that. I know when I'm not around, the thing will not be treated with diligence... so I better do my research before purchase.

I'm going to get an earful considering how precious I am with the one we've got to then go out and get another.
The cycles are meant to run automatically.
You probably don't have anything. Its just image retention.you need take the piss and forcefully burn in an image.

Paxi

@Rado_N if you got lots of overly expensive apple products, then I feel like I need to tag you. Best 1400 I've ever spent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The cycles are meant to run automatically.
You probably don't have anything. Its just image retention.you need take the piss and forcefully burn in an image.
There's nothing on mine because I've been extremely on the ball with it (precious, one might say), but it's going to be whisked away to my own room soon so the space in the living room needed to be filled by something new. Wanted to get an idea on screen burn etc before venturing out and getting an OLED that won't be treated half as nicely as my one will.

I think it'll be OK, so I'll take the plunge.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don’t have any burn-in, and mine sees a lot of gaming and sports with static parts of the screen.

I do however have some vertical banding when the background is uniform, like a football field. Not sure if that’s common or I got it from moving or something but if I got another the first thing I’d do would be to put on a soccer game.

Paxi

There's nothing on mine because I've been extremely on the ball with it (precious, one might say), but it's going to be whisked away to my own room soon so the space in the living room needed to be filled by something new. Wanted to get an idea on screen burn etc before venturing out and getting an OLED that won't be treated half as nicely as my one will.

I think it'll be OK, so I'll take the plunge.
So there is nothing? There’s absolutely going mate. You'll lose your head thinking 'image retention'. Mate, you this unit well and sell it in 12 months. We will have reference quality.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So there is nothing? There’s absolutely going mate. You'll lose your head thinking 'image retention'. Mate, you this unit well and sell it in 12 months. We will have reference quality.
You're right about that - OLED and QLED, first thing that comes to mind is screen burn, before even the benefits of them, so that's why I've been like I have with the one we've got, much to the OH's chagrin.

I won't be at all anal with the one we're gonna get, though. Just hope it doesn't prove costly!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How are they in terms of need for TLC? Is your OH diligent with not pausing it needlessly, etc? I'm asking what rigours it's been through! :lol:
:lol: nah she knows not to leave stuff paused and we’re both pretty on the ball with switching it off if not actually watching anything.

Paxi

I’ve got a Samsung QLED ta :)
Oof you need to be converted, unless you got 8k set up.
Just we've been talking in the apple thread and I genuinely think you're sleeping on on OLED. Especially at iphone prices

Paxi

You're right about that - OLED and QLED, first thing that comes to mind is screen burn, before even the benefits of them, so that's why I've been like I have with the one we've got, much to the OH's chagrin.

I won't be at all anal with the one we're gonna get, though. Just hope it doesn't prove costly!
No there will be burn if you take the piss. QLED is a fancy word for led . OLED has reference levels colour gradation.

Bojan11

• Identical aesthetics.
  • Identical input ports.
  • CX limits HDMI 2.1 bandwidth to 40Gb/s. C9 has full 48Gb/s on all four HDMI 2.1 ports. Not expected to make a noticeable difference.
  • Marginally lower peak brightness on CX, but within margin of error / panel variance.
  • Both C9 and CX have excellent viewing angles. CX is slightly worse but within margin of error.
  • CX has slightly better color accuracy out of the box.
  • CX supports 120hz Black Frame Insertion, C9 only supports 60hz Black Frame Insertion.
  • For Variable Refresh Rate, CX Supports Freesync Premium, HDMI 2.1 VRR, and G-SYNC. C9 only supports HDMI 2.1 VRR and G-SYNC.
  • CX Supports 4K/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.0. C9 Supports 4K/60hz VRR with HDMI 2.0.
  • They expect both CX and C9 to support 4K/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.1 on next-gen consoles.
  • Marginally lower input lag on C9 (13.4 ms) vs CX (14.0 ms).
  • Overall, the differences are very minor. Go with whichever model is cheaper.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah I have a slight burn in mine, only very noticeable on black pictures.

Mine is the super bar/ability buttons from Destiny 2 in the bottom left :lol:

Must have left in on in the background too long without moving

Paxi

If any cnut can afford an iPhone, then OLED is a must. I'd use a fecking dail up to play games on oled to see football, to see movies. I find it bizarre that people would spend about 2-+k and then cheap out and get a £600 for 10 years.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I have a slight burn in mine, only very noticeable on black pictures.

Mine is the super bar/ability buttons from Destiny 2 in the bottom left :lol:

Must have left in on in the background too long without moving
What model do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

how many hours of Destiny caused this, or was it one time you left it unattended?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I went QLED simply because I game and didn't want health bars or whatever burning in.

Also sky sports is on a lot too.

I wish OLED didn't have the burn in problem though, they look quite a bit better with their colours and their black too.

I'm happy with the QLED though, it's much better than anything I've owned before, and everyone is wowed by it, looking at none OLED/QLED TVs now feels like when first converting from CRT to whatever the one after that was.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I went for the LG OLED CX about a month ago and so far so good, although i have been relatively careful with turning it off and on and avoiding things that could make screen burn. Im not sure i trust my Mrs to not leave it on for hours when she rushes out of the house to take the kids to school however.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude here you go

Only £70k matey, I am sure the divorce will cost a lot more, but it’s Micro LED.
I miss going expos and seeing things like this, tbh. Bet it looks spectacular.

On another note, our CX for the living room is coming tomorrow.... time to find out how it manages to fend off screen burn... :(:nervous:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I recently bought the Sony Bravia full Array tv. £1400 for the 55’. It’s absolutely fantastic. I wanted a OLED but didn’t want to risk the scream burn as my kids watch the likes of CBeebies that has a logo in the corner.

I read about lot of people having issues with screen burn from news channel banners and some people getting it from video game HUD’s.

I thought that it was better to be safe than sorry.

If screen burn wasn’t an issue with OLED why isn’t it covered by the warranty? Samsung’s QLED and Sony’s Full Array both cover it as part of the warranty so that’s a bit fishy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Slightly off topic but a guy I used to play football with a good decade ago was drunk at home with the wife away and fell asleep with babestation paused. You can guess what happened :lol:

Bojan11

Slightly off topic but a guy I used to play football with a good decade ago was drunk at home with the wife away and fell asleep with babestation paused. You can guess what happened :lol:
You sold him one of your spare PS5s?