Oleksandr Zinchenko: The most underrated player in the PL?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal's weak link. They should try finding a solid LB in the upcoming transfer window.
I don't know, we're top of the league and have best defence, (equal with Liverpool) and have the most clean sheets (7; tied with Newcastle). I'm pretty happy with where we are defensively as we defend very well as a unit. We are looking short defensively though with Tomi and Timber injured, and Zinchenko doesn't have a great injury record either.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He’s a bit like a left sided Trent, a good footballer, but a poor defender.

I think if either Tomiyasu or Timber are fit they start ahead of Zinchenko in these big games away from home purely because they can actually defend.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
He’s a bit like a left sided Trent, a good footballer, but a poor defender.

I think if either Tomiyasu or Timber are fit they start ahead of Zinchenko in these big games away from home purely because they can actually defend.
Problem is, he is not as good as Trent offensively.
He is a net negative at LB and should be moved to midfield.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Problem is, he is not as good as Trent offensively.
He is a net negative at LB and should be moved to midfield.
I'm not sure how he can be a net negative when have the best defence in the league, equal with Liverpool. IMO Arteta knows his deficiencies and as a unit, we do well most of the time to cover for him when he makes mistakes. It's part of the risk you take playing the way we do. It didn't work as well today because Liverpool can go toe to toe with us, but against the deep block we play against most of the time, Zinny is important to breaking them down.
I do agree that we probably have to evolve the way we play and move him further up, and get a better defender at LB, especially against the better teams. It's a shame Tomi is so injury prone as I think we'd be quite sorted otherwise.

Last edited:

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
He's a classic pros and cons player, a bit like David Raya. I'd back Ramsdale more to make a hero save in a backs-against-the-wall away game, but I'd back Raya more to contribute to our build-up and control and avoid it becoming backs-against-the-wall in the first place. It's the same with Zinchenko. We had Tierney, a very capable defender (not bad going forward either) but Zinchenko's 'technical security' is basically world class and enables us to keep the ball 1000 times better.

Tomiyasu for e.g. is a better defender but we might have lost control of that game yesterday without Zinchenko's contributions to our build-up. One day there might be an upgrade (he might already be at the club - Jurrien Timber) but at the moment I think we have to take the rough with the smooth.

Aint gota Kalou

He is quality on the ball and at passing but has his limitations defensively. If Tomiyasu was fit he starts over him in games against teams like Liverpool.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
He is a decent squad player if he has great players and leaders around him.

Arsenal has great players but not aure about the leaders. Zin definitely isn't one