Ole's clear-out

cyril C

Not meaning to be controversial or argumentative....but is it that impressive? 10 out in four windows on permanent deals, thats 2.5 per window and only Lukaku has bought in any type of transfer fee worth mentioning. Obvious reasons for some, but every one of those players has left the club bar Lukaku way under value. You could barely buy Long John Silver for £5m nowadays let alone a championship player yet so many of these deals are way under that fee.

Thats only 2/3 of the 15 you mention moved on in four windows and without naming them to digress from the point, there is plenty of argument for moving on 7-8 players you havent even mentioned.

In my opinion bar 3/4 signings he has made, like the managers before him though not to such a scandukous degree, he has made the wrogn signings and not made enough of them and certainly not moved out enough players quickly enough, several that have been given improved contracts under his tenure that makes them hard to sell and if we do they go for a pittance to get them out of the door.

Whether that is the managers fault, the scouts, owners or whoever. We may be movign in the right direction, but far far slower than we should be and the way we are,w e wont bridge the gap. We have a premiership where the first half of the season, the champions had no centre backs, the ex champions had no strikers, the whole league is incapable of defending and we still dont really look good enough to challenge for the title
The moment that we signed Blind, Rojo as CB, Darmian, Dalot as RB, tell me so much about our scout. RB that are slow and can't turn, CB that are short, what is their chance of "survival" in EPL, let alone a top team.

Mark Pawelek

Matic under contract until 2023, Mata's is out in the summer though. James id bet goes out on loan. From CB, can see one of Tuanzebe or Bailly going. Tuanzebe needs regular football and he just won't get that here.
I expected a massive clear-out last summer. What happened? Two players were cleared out: Smalling and Sánchez. Both had been on loan. Ole will first get new players in before clearing any out. I'm not saying what he should do. I'm describing what he does.

rotherham_red

I expected a massive clear-out last summer. What happened? Two players were cleared out: Smalling and Sánchez. Both had been on loan. Ole will first get new players in before clearing any out. I'm not saying what he should do. I'm describing what he does.
That was more down to Covid and it's impact on the global football financial system than anything else. We had at least 6 players available on the market from day one but we just couldn't shift so many of them on permanent moves.

If it was up to Ole, I reckon they'd have been paid off and out on their arses a long time ago.

Mark Pawelek

Here's a balance sheet for 2020. Ins and outs, and potential outs next summer. I ignored Odion Ighalo, as the came, left and didn't play much. I included peripheral U-23 players who are now squad members. I only included one academy player because he cost so much for a 16 year old.
Weekly Pay (£ m)​
Fee (£ m)​
In:
0.120​
35​
Donny van de Beek from Ajax, £35 million plus add-ons​
0.210​
Edinson Cavani, free agent plus agents' fees​
0.150​
13.6​
Alex Telles from Porto, £13.6 million plus add-ons​
19​
Amad Diallo from Atalanta, £19 million plus add-ons​
10​
Facuno Pellistri (from Penarol), 10 million plus add-ons​
1.5​
Willy Kambwala (Sochaux). 1.5 million​
0.110​
Dean Henderson​
0.040​
Mason Greenwood​
0.040​
Brandon Williams​
0.100​
49.5​
Bruno Fernandes​
<= Total
Out:
0.390​
Alexis Sanchez​
0.070​
13.2​
Chris Smalling​
0.080​
Marco Roco​
0.015​
Timothy Fosu-Mensah​
0.120​
1.5​
Ashley Young​
<= Total
Potential
0.030​
Lee Grant
out:
0.070​
Sergio Romero
0.390​
50​
Paul Pogba
0.075​
20​
Jesse Lingard​
0.025​
15​
Diogo Dalot​
0.030​
20​
Andreas Pereira​
0.015​
Joel Pereira​
0.075​
8​
Phil Jones​
0.163​
Juan Mata​
0.014​
2​
Tahith Chong​
0.050​
8​
Axel Tuanzebe​
0.045​
20​
Daniel James​
<= Total

A few things to note:
  • The wages are approximately in balance!
  • Fans always expect United to sell players for far more than the market will bear.
  • It's now a very fit squad - compared to the last decade.
  • there are a lot of players fans want to see leave next summer but the only 3 certs IMHO are: Pogba, Romero and Grant. Even Mata, on his massive wage, is no certain leaver.

Robbie Boy

Delighted with the players he's gotten rid of. Our squad is in much better shape than when he took over.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
For a strange reason Phil Jones is still here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Have patience mate, he's the new Duncan Edwards.
From what I heard from people who got mates close to the club there is an explanation to this paradox. However I still don't believe it completely tbh.

Devil81

Here's a balance sheet for 2020. Ins and outs, and potential outs next summer. I ignored Odion Ighalo, as the came, left and didn't play much. I included peripheral U-23 players who are now squad members. I only included one academy player because he cost so much for a 16 year old.
Weekly Pay (£ m)​
Fee (£ m)​
In:
0.120​
35​
0.210​
0.150​
13.6​
19​
10​
1.5​
0.110​
Dean Henderson​
0.040​
Mason Greenwood​
0.040​
Brandon Williams​
0.100​
49.5​
Bruno Fernandes​
<= Total
Out:
0.390​
Alexis Sanchez​
0.070​
13.2​
Chris Smalling​
0.080​
Marco Roco​
0.015​
Timothy Fosu-Mensah​
0.120​
1.5​
Ashley Young​
<= Total
Potential
0.030​
Lee Grant
out:
0.070​
Sergio Romero
0.390​
50​
Paul Pogba
0.075​
20​
Jesse Lingard​
0.025​
15​
Diogo Dalot​
0.030​
20​
Andreas Pereira​
0.015​
Joel Pereira​
0.075​
8​
Phil Jones​
0.163​
Juan Mata​
0.014​
2​
Tahith Chong​
0.050​
8​
Axel Tuanzebe​
0.045​
20​
Daniel James​
<= Total

A few things to note:
  • Fans always expect United to sell players for far more than the market will bear.
  • there are a lot of players fans want to see leave next summer but the only 3 certs IMHO are: Pogba, Romero and Grant. Even Mata, on his massive wage, is no certain leaver.

20 Million for Andreas Pereira, not a chance were getting anything over 10 million for him.

Raveneye

It should be remembered that Solksjaer hasn't only gotten rid of the obvious ones who for some reason other top managers didn't see fit to get rid of over the last 7 years. Felliani wasn't going to work out long term but getting rid of him from Day 1 was a ballsy move. Same with Lukaku.

Tallis

Weekly Pay (£ m)​
Fee (£ m)​
In:
0.120​
35​
0.210​
0.150​
13.6​
19​
10​
1.5​
0.110​
Dean Henderson​
0.040​
Mason Greenwood​
0.040​
Brandon Williams​
0.100​
49.5​
Bruno Fernandes​
<= Total
Out:
0.390​
Alexis Sanchez​
0.070​
13.2​
Chris Smalling​
0.080​
Marco Roco​
0.015​
Timothy Fosu-Mensah​
0.120​
1.5​
Ashley Young​
<= Total
Potential
0.030​
Lee Grant
out:
0.070​
Sergio Romero
0.390​
50​
Paul Pogba
0.075​
20​
Jesse Lingard​
0.025​
15​
Diogo Dalot​
0.030​
20​
Andreas Pereira​
0.015​
Joel Pereira​
0.075​
8​
Phil Jones​
0.163​
Juan Mata​
0.014​
2​
Tahith Chong​
0.050​
8​
Axel Tuanzebe​
0.045​
20​
Daniel James​
<= Total

A few things to note:
That’s a comprehensive and detailed analysis. Do you do this as a hobby ?

It would be great to raise so much money from sales - would fund 2-3 transfers. If Pogba goes, we will need a CM for sure, although can be debated what type of CM is most critical. CB is obvious.

After that, you could make a case for Right sided forward, Striker, backup RB.

James can be replaced by Elanga or Pellestri.

I would probably loan Axel though.

Kag

Mata and Matic ‘deadwood’?

I don’t think some people can see the distinction between players who are ‘deadwood’ and players who are older, maybe not as good as they were, but still useful players to have in the group.

I’ve seen Tuanzebe mentioned for Christ sake. He’s not even close to being in that group. He’s a talented, young defender who, in truth, could do with a bit of a break, a good run of fitness and perhaps a Premier League loan to fully get himself into the groove.

‘Deadwood’ is where your Jones’, Rojo’s and Pereira’s go to fester. Not genuinely good players who might be a little past their sell by date. Jesus, it was only two weeks ago that Matic was one of the best players on the pitch against Burnley.

Teja

Moving players + fat contracts out is a bit of a challenge - esp. in these COVID hit times. I think Lingard can be moved if he continues to do well for WHU. I think enough midtable PL sides would be interested in James as well, so maybe you can hit that 20m number.

15m for Dalot, 20m for Pereira, 8m for Jones, 8m for Tuanzebe however are all pipe dreams. At best Tuanzebe goes on a loan, and we let Jones' contract run out.

Bruno will probably double his wages soon (contract discussions ongoing), so you have to take that into account.

laughtersassassin

Oles clear out has been great. Club needs to give him better Incomings. Both of our summers under him where flawed.

1st summer. Sold Lukaku and bought no attackers to replace. Madness that was proved by us trying to get Halaand and then getting Bruno in Jan.

2nd Summer. A disaster regardless of how the players end up. Not a single starter was signed before deadline day where we panicked like mad.

We have seen some improvements but still even teams like Liverpool are showing greater ambition and that is when they where already at the top.

Club wants us to think this issue was sorted but it's still massive. I expect if Pogba goes our summer will be a shit show of not replacing him adequately. Will probably be a much worse version of the Lukaku scenario.

Jezpeza

I don’t think some people can see the distinction between players who are ‘deadwood’ and players who are older, maybe not as good as they were, but still useful players to have in the group.

I’ve seen Tuanzebe mentioned for Christ sake. He’s not even close to being in that group. He’s a talented, young defender who, in truth, could do with a bit of a break, a good run of fitness and perhaps a Premier League loan to fully get himself into the groove.

‘Deadwood’ is where your Jones’, Rojo’s and Pereira’s go to fester. Not genuinely good players who might be a little past their sell by date. Jesus, it was only two weeks ago that Matic was one of the best players on the pitch against Burnley.
yeah theres a distinction between players who are genuinely just not good enough and always injured, and players who have quality and declined physically. Mata and Matic have begun to decline physically due to age but still contribute. Mata gets assists and goals when he plays but he only plays in the cups etc. He hasnt got the physicality to play the press week in week out but is worth keeping.

Jezpeza

$5m max. Ain't done shite.
i’d rip someones arm off for £5m for him as hes gone permanently and we save his wages. Everyone knows hes crap and everyone knows we dont want him so how people think we can leverage silly money for him is beyond me. Transfermarkt only value him at 9 and they are meant to be the best at these values.

Liverpool have been best at selling this type of player (Ibe, Brewster, Solanke) for the crazy fees as they sell them as ‘potential’ before they have proved they are smeg on the pitch for two seasons straight.

USREDEVIL

i’d rip someones arm off for £5m for him as hes gone permanently and we save his wages. Everyone knows hes crap and everyone knows we dont want him so how people think we can leverage silly money for him is beyond me. Transfermarkt only value him at 9 and they are meant to be the best at these values.

Liverpool have been best at selling this type of player (Ibe, Brewster, Solanke) for the crazy fees as they sell them as ‘potential’ before they have proved they are smeg on the pitch for two seasons straight.
Exactly. Problem is we kept him too long, long enough for everyone to know he's nothing special. Have to sell these lot when there's still a glimmer of hope at least.

RopersReturn

Ole needs to stand up to Woodward & the Glaziers and show a bit more courage and determination in bringing in the players we need to compete with the top 4 and CL. Forgetting Sancho etc, there are some good deals to be had particularly as this is now a buyers market. We need a DM and a RWM desperately.

RopersReturn

They’re (Liverpool), streets ahead of us in terms of recruitment, largely thanks to Michael Edwards, Ian Graham. Who have undoubtedly proved to be the best in the business.

RopersReturn

I’ve often worried about Lindelöf’s ability, particularly when he’s under pressure. We certainly could do with a couple of quality Central defenders.

0le

Weekly Pay (£ m)​
Fee (£ m)​
In:
0.120​
35​
0.210​
0.150​
13.6​
19​
10​
1.5​
0.110​
Dean Henderson​
0.040​
Mason Greenwood​
0.040​
Brandon Williams​
0.100​
49.5​
Bruno Fernandes​
<= Total
Out:
0.390​
Alexis Sanchez​
0.070​
13.2​
Chris Smalling​
0.080​
Marco Roco​
0.015​
Timothy Fosu-Mensah​
0.120​
1.5​
Ashley Young​
<= Total
Potential
0.030​
Lee Grant
out:
0.070​
Sergio Romero
0.390​
50​
Paul Pogba
0.075​
20​
Jesse Lingard​
0.025​
15​
Diogo Dalot​
0.030​
20​
Andreas Pereira​
0.015​
Joel Pereira​
0.075​
8​
Phil Jones​
0.163​
Juan Mata​
0.014​
2​
Tahith Chong​
0.050​
8​
Axel Tuanzebe​
0.045​
20​
Daniel James​
<= Total

A few things to note:
Great post. I'd disagree with getting any fees for Jones and Pereira and James are perhaps too high.

wolvored

Weekly Pay (£ m)​
Fee (£ m)​
In:
0.120​
35​
0.210​
0.150​
13.6​
19​
10​
1.5​
0.110​
Dean Henderson​
0.040​
Mason Greenwood​
0.040​
Brandon Williams​
0.100​
49.5​
Bruno Fernandes​
<= Total
Out:
0.390​
Alexis Sanchez​
0.070​
13.2​
Chris Smalling​
0.080​
Marco Roco​
0.015​
Timothy Fosu-Mensah​
0.120​
1.5​
Ashley Young​
<= Total
Potential
0.030​
Lee Grant
out:
0.070​
Sergio Romero
0.390​
50​
Paul Pogba
0.075​
20​
Jesse Lingard​
0.025​
15​
Diogo Dalot​
0.030​
20​
Andreas Pereira​
0.015​
Joel Pereira​
0.075​
8​
Phil Jones​
0.163​
Juan Mata​
0.014​
2​
Tahith Chong​
0.050​
8​
Axel Tuanzebe​
0.045​
20​
Daniel James​
<= Total

A few things to note:
You are overestimating James Tuanzebe Periera and Jones will have to go on a free. Pogba may be correct and only Lingard of the others if he plays well may fetch £20 mill.

Raveneye

A defender capable of going toe to toe with Mbappe on his day is deadwood at Manchester United. That's how elite our club is. ;)

Polar

Agree they are valuable squad players today, but what about next season? It’s a fare chance both of them end up in the deadwood category during 21/22. United should take action to replace players before they become deadwood.

Great post.

Counterfactual

Ole needs to stand up to Woodward & the Glaziers and show a bit more courage and determination in bringing in the players we need to compete with the top 4 and CL. Forgetting Sancho etc, there are some good deals to be had particularly as this is now a buyers market. We need a DM and a RWM desperately.
Should he go window shopping for a few?

Someone had to say it!

meamth

From what I heard from people who got mates close to the club there is an explanation to this paradox. However I still don't believe it completely tbh.
How dare you?

Sir Alex was typing this prophecy the first time he saw Phil Jones on training pitch.

Editors were asking Sir Alex to take out that paragraph, but he was adamant and sure, that Duncan Edwards has been reborn.

jesperjaap

Yes it is impressive, especially compared to previous managers who kept adding to the pile of deadwood and shifting almost none of it. The main reason we made so little in fees is probably due to players being on stupidly high wages, hardly a fault of Ole. Your point about us not challenging for the title this season, after teams around us had poor first halves of the season, seem ridiculous considering we were top at the halfway mark, so we absolutely did take advantage when our rivals were not at their best, not to mention the fact that absolutely nobody expected us to be in such a lofty position in the first place. It's strange how injuries to other teams seem to be used as a clear and obvious reason as to why they are doing worse than us this year, yet when we were devasted with injuries in the first half of last season, that was deemed no excuse when the Outers were in full voice this time last year.
How can you say he hasnt added to the dead wood from his is it 10 signings so far? 2 are young and havent even played one of which is out on loan, one was a short term signing that barely played and has now left, 3 are barely playing and I think will actually all be dead wood and the remaining 3 cost nearly £180m and only one has so far proved to be an inspired signing, though I rate Bissaka very highly.

As for the other managers shifting almost none of it, cant really count Moyes as he didnt last long. Van Gaal moved on 16 players permanently in his two seasons, Mourinho 12, Solkjear 10 so that is actually nonsense and a myth.....you can argue about moving the right and wrong players but like the managers before him he has neither signed enough players or got rid of enough and its just personal opinion and I dont include the two youngsters as time will tell, he has made 8 signings, I would only highly rate two of them with the money paid, so in terms of transfers he hasnt done much better than the other managers. His points totals are also no better than the other managers and he also hasnt won any trophies which the other managers did. You can also say what you loike, the premiership for me dipped in terms of quality last season apart from the top two, and it has certainly defensively been very poor this season, of coruse the current situation can play a part in that for all teams.

Not saying this slating SOlkjear, but no, I stick by the points I make and when have we had no centre backs or strikers available at all? That is slightly different to having general injuries.

jesperjaap

Do you think Ole negotiates the deals or something? Not his fault he inherited shit players that were sold for shit fees. You can’t just dump the whole squad in 1 or 2 windows either, because we all knew they weren’t bringing much money back.
Not at all and yes agree with you, but all this talk about a wonderful clear out he has done in two years simply isnt true. Forgetting the transfer fees, he hasnt moved on anymore players number wise for the time he has been here than the other two managers before him.

jesperjaap

So what gives us the divine right to defend capably?

The reason City didn't sign a striker is because the manager knows the can play a false 9. He has done that at Barca and at City last season.

Secondly, Fabinho played CB/RB at his previous club, Matip only just got injured.

Love how you are so capable of making excuses up for others but fail to see why we failed at the start. Maybe having no pre season, should be in your list?
NO, we have no divine right, quite the opposite. Personally thought it was blaringly obvious we needed to sign another centre back....that may have helped and was also an area we failed in my opinion with this clearout.

As for the preseason, nobody had one, we had about a week less than the other sides. Yes it may have hindered us for the opneing games, but we were still awful a good two months later as positionally we defended absolutely awfully, that has nothing to do with fitness or match sharpness, so that is rubbish

Basa1987

It's been a common misconception on here for a long time now regarding what constitutes as deadwood. I mean, there are these players called 'squad players' too. We would only have a starting eleven if some had their way.
Or we would need a world class XI and a backup XI which was also world class. We (or for that matter any club team) have never had all XI who could lay a claim to being the best in their position or world class, even when we were regularly winning stuff.