Ole's "Mark Robins" Moment

Dr Fink

Is the weekend’s game against Tranmere Ole’s “Mark Robins” moment? Remember SAF’s famous FA Cup game away at Forest in 1990, where allegedly his job was on the line (3 years in) and Robins banged in a goal? Is it Ole’s time at Prenton Park? Off the back of a few bad results, roughly half the fan-base against the manager, the team not performing, added to that, the pitch is dreadful – full of sand, providing it as a great “leveller” as the saying goes. I think it might be………but the overall result may probably be totally different. Who knows. Thoughts?

Bad, sad times at this club now.

(If not thread-worthy, Mods please delete).

Cypherage

No, Because Ole is only %20 of the problem, the rest of the problem belong's to Ed Woodward & The Glazers, nothing will change, the players are not going to improve anytime soon, as thing's stand we are walking the same road as Liverpool ,where we can easily end up on a 30 year barron spell of a domestic title, 7 years down 23 to go.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Forrest were still a decent side.

If wins against Spurs and City couldn't turn our season around I'm not sure what a likely one sided victory away to League One Tranmere is going to achieve, in all honestly.
Just gets us into the next round.

izec

Would help if people wouldn't compare an average manager to one of the best managers of all time. There is no hint, past or present, that Ole will turn out half as good as Fergie, so i don't get it. The obsession with having the next Fergie is weird, especially with Ole. If we win or lose against mighty Tranmere, it tells us nothing new about Ole, we know he isn't good enough. Look at the games, the changes, the game management, the style, the (lack of) coaching, the tactics, the management of media and injuries, the expressions, the body language, the table.

Moyes and Ole aren't the next Fergies, and never will be. Time to modernise the club instead of relying on one genius man to do it all. If we have the next Fergie or a genius manager overall, he will benefit from having a proper run football club. Klopp is the closest you will get to Fergie in the modern game and we missed out on him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can we stop with these stupid comparisons? Ole is not going to turn into Ferguson, just like he’s not going to turn into Klopp. History doesn’t repeat its self so stop being so sentimental & wake up.

Also, as for the frequent Fergie/Klopp comparisons we keep seeing - Fergie had beaten Celtic & Rangers to 2 SPL’s & won a European trophy & Klopp had beaten Bayern to 2 Bundesliga’s & led Dortmund to a CL final. They had previous for being winners & were not kept around with blind faith that they would turn it around, like our fans with Ole

pacifictheme

Anyone looking at beating tranmere as a aign of anything positive is grasping.

If we win we should have, anything else and we have failed badly.

The only thing that can change is if we lose it will be further evidence he should go.

Mainoldo

No because he’s a bang average manager. Just like everyone else people like to compare to Fergie.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Robins moment is a myth, though.

It didn't save Fergie's arse - he had the backing of powerful figures at United who believed in what he was doing and trusted him to come good.

Revaulx

What @FrankDrebin said. Forest won the league cup and finished four places above United in the league that season.

It's true that we endured several absolutely shocking runs of form that season, and had been all over the place results and performance-wise the season before. What the "Fergie was crap for his first x years" brigade fail to mention is that he oversaw 18 months of steady improvement from when he started, and even when the problems set in thereafter it was more an issue of inconsistency rather than underlying shitness.

Siorac

The Robins moment is a myth, though.

It didn't save Fergie's arse - he had the backing of powerful figures at United who believed in what he was doing and trusted him to come good.
From a narrative/storytelling standpoint, it is perfect though. Struggling team, in a seemingly dire situation, everything looking bleak... they go to a tough team, away from home, with people expecting the worst - but an unfancied youngster from the youth academy saves the day and shows the expensive signings how it's done. And from that magical moment, everything is turned around.

No wonder the myth arose. Frankly, it would have been a waste of a great story otherwise.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Frankly, it would have been a waste of a great story otherwise.
It was a grand moment in many ways - but it wasn't an actual watershed point between Fergie going on to greatness and, well, being sacked. Because he wouldn't have been.

However, yes - absolutely, I agree with what you're saying: symbolically, in the context of United's history, as part of the story of Fergie's rise to greatness - and so forth, hell yes.

Dr Fink

I'm defintely not comparing managers - that was not my intention, so perhaps I've not made that clear. More so a "defining moment". You could say Mourinho's was the Liverpool 3-1 loss - his last game.

I agree, it's not all Ole's fault. No more discussion needed really on this particualr aspect - it's done to death. I just thought it was gearing up to be a potentially defining moment for him personally, with the scenario and conditions I stated.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I just thought it was gearing up to be a potentially defining moment for him personally, with the scenario and conditions I stated.
I suppose it could be - but the odds are against it being so in a positive sense for him.

Tranmere ain't Forest (anno 1990), it will be considered par for the course if we beat them (no matter how it happens). And it will be considered a horrible result if we lose (no matter how it happens). And the latter might then end up being his defining moment (when he eventually gets sacked as the season limps on for us and ends with...nothing).

So - no. If there's a "Robins moment" for him in the upcoming games it will more plausibly come in the league against Chelsea, I'd say.

In a purely fantasy scenario, it could happen against City in the League Cup too - that would be something.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
"If a team like Tranmere play their full strength team against us, that shows how far we've come as a group."

SaintMuppet

All hail Ole the new Caesar, Genghis Khan, Ron Atkinson or whichever legendary leader he is to become!!!

AC1689

These comparisons have got to stop surely!? Frankly, it is utterly embarrassing, and serves only to make us even more of a laughing stock to oppo fans.

We have become a parody of ourselves. We mocked Liverpool for similar behavior over two decades, and now, if anything, we are worse.

Ole is the next Fergie/Klopp, give him time (like 'time' is some kind of magic effing wand), is based on nothing but sentiment and nepotism.

There is zero evidence to suggest he will miraculously come good, and a whole lot of evidence to suggest he won't.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the club fail to financially support him in January then Ole's only Mark Robbins moment might occur if he decides to resign on February 1st. Fans will respect that and other club owners might give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a second chance. That's what Gennaro Gattuso did at Milan and he ended up at Napoli.

Devil81

Ole would have been sacked by now if we'd been beaten by City twice over the last two months.

You could say that was his Mark Robins moment in fairness, I doubt this is going to end the way it did for Sir Alex.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Can we stop with these stupid comparisons? Ole is not going to turn into Ferguson, just like he’s not going to turn into Klopp. History doesn’t repeat its self so stop being so sentimental & wake up.

Also, as for the frequent Fergie/Klopp comparisons we keep seeing - Fergie had beaten Celtic & Rangers to 2 SPL’s & won a European trophy & Klopp had beaten Bayern to 2 Bundesliga’s & led Dortmund to a CL final. They had previous for being winners & were not kept around with blind faith that they would turn it around, like our fans with Ole

I can think of at least 10 instances where history repeated itself without resorting to google.

That being said, no one are going to turn into the next Ferguson. But he can become a Fergie light if he's given enough time for the kids to blossom into their potential.

Our struggles this season aren't all down to the manager, they are primarily driven by our absolutely insane injury issues and inability to capitalize on high danger scoring chances. Take Burnely for example, unforgivable that Mata or Martial don't put us up 1 or 2-0.

SaintMuppet

I can think of at least 10 instances where history repeated itself without resorting to google.

That being said, no one are going to turn into the next Ferguson. But he can become a Fergie light if he's given enough time for the kids to blossom into their potential.

Our struggles this season aren't all down to the manager, they are primarily driven by our absolutely insane injury issues and inability to capitalize on high danger scoring chances. Take Burnely for example, unforgivable that Mata or Martial don't put us up 1 or 2-0.
I’m sorry but we don’t need a Fergie lite!
We need the full fat very heavy version to dig the club out of the shi7 pit it has landed in. Even with that we need new owners before anything positive will occur!!!

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
No because he’s not on the verge of being sacked. If we lose to Tranmere, he’ll still be in charge of the next match.

Ole has had a few games where we’ve come away thinking maybe he’s not that bad after all. But within one match we’re always reminded that, yes, he is that bad.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
2029 we've just won the treble and we're looking back thinking how if it wasn't for Juan Mata's goal against Tranmere at the start of the decade, none of this preposterous success would have happened.

Can't see it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
2029 we've just won the treble and we're looking back thinking how if it wasn't for Juan Mata's goal against Tranmere at the start of the decade, none of this preposterous success would have happened.

Can't see it.
2023, we've just won the EPL after allowing the project to continue and the youngsters to develop into footballing stars after allowing the current project to continue, admitting the instability was caused by important and plentiful injuries to key components, while not allowing the club to be distracted by the low valleys, rather focusing on the high peaks.

Siorac

I'm defintely not comparing managers - that was not my intention, so perhaps I've not made that clear. More so a "defining moment". You could say Mourinho's was the Liverpool 3-1 loss - his last game.
That wasn't a defining moment, it was merely the inevitable conclusion of his reign.

Mourinho's defining moment was either the Sevilla game and the insane press conference afterwards or the Spurs defeat where he played Herrera as a centre-back.

Water Melon

2023, we've just won the EPL after allowing the project to continue and the youngsters to develop into footballing stars after allowing the current project to continue, admitting the instability was caused by important and plentiful injuries to key components, while not allowing the club to be distracted by the low valleys, rather focusing on the high peaks.
Saving this for future reference. I am sure we will not any major thing with Ole in charge. Moreover, I am sure he will not be managing United come September 2021 at latest. If you are confident I am ready to bet against your forecast, and you do the same against mine. The loser, leaves the CAF forever. Please notice that my suggestion expires much earlier than yours, thus I am in a far greater risk. However, I doubt you will take the bet.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Would help if people wouldn't compare an average manager to one of the best managers of all time. There is no hint, past or present, that Ole will turn out half as good as Fergie, so i don't get it. The obsession with having the next Fergie is weird, especially with Ole. If we win or lose against mighty Tranmere, it tells us nothing new about Ole, we know he isn't good enough. Look at the games, the changes, the game management, the style, the (lack of) coaching, the tactics, the management of media and injuries, the expressions, the body language, the table.

Moyes and Ole aren't the next Fergies, and never will be. Time to modernise the club instead of relying on one genius man to do it all. If we have the next Fergie or a genius manager overall, he will benefit from having a proper run football club. Klopp is the closest you will get to Fergie in the modern game and we missed out on him.
Even Ole has started comparing himself to another great manager. In his last press conference he talked about Jugen getting four years and NOW playing well! Completely forgetting or intentionally lying about the cup finals, CL qualifications and win, also lied and said Klopp finished 8th in his first full season. Really is stooping very low.

Chairman Steve

I think you’re reaching a lot to make such a comparison. Sir Alex was far from some rookie manager at that point in time. He finished 2nd in his first full season at Utd as well as the Aberdeen tenure.

OGS has spent a decade in Norwegian football, came to Cardiff and failed in both Premier League and Championship, never got picked up by any European team outside of Molde and Cardiff (something that should be an immediate red flag when trying to decide whether he’s a good manager)

I don’t think you can compare the guy who took Aberdeen to a European final and beat Real Madrid, to the guy who can’t beat Rochdale at home.

izec

Even Ole has started comparing himself to another great manager. In his last press conference he talked about Jugen getting four years and NOW playing well! Completely forgetting or intentionally lying about the cup finals, CL qualifications and win, also lied and said Klopp finished 8th in his first full season. Really is stooping very low.
Ole at this point is doing everything to keep the job and convince some deluded fans, the media and employees at United that he is worth keeping around and given time. He is desperate, so i would spout some nonsense as well. We would all like to be in a well paid job way above our competencies and a dream job at that, so of course you want to keep that as long as possible. Maybe he even thinks that it somehow will work one day, seeing as he persists with the same bollocks for far too long.

As i always say, the results speak for themselves. You can't lie there to save yourself, the numbers and games are there for everybody to see. Ole is failing miserably at his job, not the only one of course.

AFC NimbleThumb

OgS is simply a parasite who’s feeding on the corpse. He knows he’ll never get another job like this so he’s doing all he can to stay as king as he can in his dream role despite us being in far worse shape than when he took over because somehow fans believe he’ll suddenly have us playing champagne football with no prior evidence this will happen.

The Tranmere game should hold little sway here but I’m sure [if] we win he’ll wax lyrical as if we’ve just gone to the Bernabeau & done a job.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Ole at this point is doing everything to keep the job and convince some deluded fans, the media and employees at United that he is worth keeping around and given time. He is desperate, so i would spout some nonsense as well. We would all like to be in a well paid job way above our competencies and a dream job at that, so of course you want to keep that as long as possible. Maybe he even thinks that it somehow will work one day, seeing as he persists with the same bollocks for far too long.

As i always say, the results speak for themselves. You can't lie there to save yourself, the numbers and games are there for everybody to see. Ole is failing miserably at his job, not the only one of course.
Your right. He’s last interview and comments about Klopp do reek of desperation and someone who’ll say anything to stay in the job. Also we need to think he’s getting £7.5m a year, hes next job will probably be £50k a year if he’s lucky. He’s obviously thinking about he’s family and children’s future. And from a lifestyle perspective it must be a shock to go from living as a £7.5m a year man to then going back to £50k or whatever he’ll get.

AFC NimbleThumb

Your right. He’s last interview and comments about Klopp do reek of desperation and someone who’ll say anything to stay in the job. Also we need to think he’s getting £7.5m a year, hes next job will probably be £50k a year if he’s lucky. He’s obviously thinking about he’s family and children’s future.
How much!? :eek:

Can’t lie, I’d happily be a puppet for the Glazers on that salary.

Maticmaker

If Ole is to have a 'Robbins' moment it is likely to come in the second leg of Carabao cup semi, when we miraculously manage to get through to the final, after Lingard (i.e. most unlikely player) scores the winner and breaks Citeh fans hearts!

MonkeysMagic

The words 'wishful thinking' come to mind. How anyone can see any positives in the football that has been served up in the last year to pin their hopes on is beyond me. Even through the dire years in SAF reign before success, you could see a structure and style and the big man's passion, what have we got now?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Have we really gotten so low that a win against Tranmere can be marked as any kind of moment whatsoever?

This is my biggest worry in this awful Ole tenure. That standards will have permanently dropped by the time he leaves.

It beggars belief that this could even be considered.

He is fully expected to beat Tranmere, and if he doesn’t, looking at his record so far, he should resign immediately.