Ole's Press Conference | 05:30 BST

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think that like in every market, every player has a buyer. But you must know how to sell. And you must have a plan( don't give big and long contracts to average players). If you think that nobody will want that player then just don't give him new contract. Releasing a player is sometimes cheaper than giving him a new contract.

Btw, we all mention Jones. I don't think that we want to sell him. We gave him 5 years contract. Ole rates him i think
That's not true.

Edit: it's true if we take non league clubs are interested in ManUtd player thing, but can they afford him and pay the wages? That's the part we are missing. small clubs cant pay their wages and big clubs dont want them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good presser. Anything with Paul should be handled internally. If Real doesn’t pay up he’ll stay and we need him to perform. The manager cannot shit on a player he might need. Seeing how the media made a big thing about that video and when you see the full thing it’s nothing like what they say. Media fueling negativity and it’s right that Ole takes this in hand for all the players.

TRUERED89

I genuinely thought it was serious. But thanks for informing me mate. Next time I see the see the word "phew" in a sentence I know that someone is being sarcastic :)
It’s not necessarily the word ‘phew’ it’s just the context! No one would be upset if JLingz was sold, hence the instant sarcasm you can sense in his post..

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Did well with a few tricky questions. As others have said, with no bids for our deadwood he's not in a position to isolate them as they will likely be needed at some point through the season.

Liked his comments about being over charged as well, we can't keep getting ripped off by the smaller clubs as it sets a precedent for the following season.
Muppets will spin this as Glazers being tight, but we're not interested in paying stupid money for players that are only marginally better than what can be had for alot less. Fred cost 50 million, but you put him alongside McTominay at the same time as we purchased him and McTominay is worth less than 20 million... who had the better season?

We aren't buying experienced players from Championship sides, we're buying young players who played rather well in championship sides

Eric's Seagull

It’s not necessarily the word ‘phew’ it’s just the context! No one would be upset if JLingz was sold, hence the instant sarcasm you can sense in his post..
Don't want to derail the the thread mate but I have mental condition which doesn't enable me tell when someone is being sarcastic which has has resulted in people taking the p!ss out of me several times and me not being able to tell :)

Crustanoid

You can’t blame Ole for a single thing he said. He has s job to do and has to work with what he has got.

The real issue surrounding the direction of the club has not gone away because of this interview

TRUERED89

Don't want to derail the the thread mate but I have mental condition which doesn't enable me tell when someone is being sarcastic which has has resulted in people taking the p!ss out of me several times and me not being able to tell :)
Okay fair enough, what is your condition? If you don’t mind me asking. Do you take meds for help ?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That's not true.

Edit: it's true if we take non league clubs are interested in ManUtd player thing, but can they afford him and pay the wages? That's the part we are missing. small clubs cant pay their wages and big clubs dont want them.
I said that in one thread before. We can sell them but for that we must be ruthless. If you say to lets say Jones or Rojo that you don't count on them and that they will be in B team until contract expires, then they will consider lower wage and smaller club. Sure, you will not get some big fee for them and you will have dead assets while they are in B team but it is the way. And don't forget that we are talking about PL. Every club can offer good wage. Saints, Palace, Wolves...they all can offer solid wage to Jones or Rojo or Lingard.
But we don't do that. So players stay here and wait for chance to play. They know that injuries will happen and things like that. Kill them hope and they will leave( if they are in their best playing years, of course).

Woodzy

Like his positive attitude but comments like not needing a 30/40 goal player are bizarre. Even more so when you're name dropping Lukaku (who may not be here), Martial (5th season now?) and then Greenwood and James (who we don't even know if they are good enough yet) to chip in with the goals.

Take away Aguero, Kane and Salah and City, Spurs and Liverpool all have better goalscorers than any other those.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Glad he was aaked about the "ruthless" remark. Fans are tired of these players.

Bestietom

Ole is not going to come out and say Pogba is this and that in front of the cameras. He has to protect his own job and show respect for the club.
I don't believe everything I read in the papers but I do watch our channel and the Paddy Crerand show. All of the panel (except Paddy) agree that Pogba should be sold. We all seen the video which he stated he wanted a new challenge away from here, and we all know his agent also. Everyone has their own opinion.

roonster09

Scout
I said that in one thread before. We can sell them but for that we must be ruthless. If you say to lets say Jones or Rojo that you don't count on them and that they will be in B team until contract expires, then they will consider lower wage and smaller club. Sure, you will not get some big fee for them and you will have dead assets while they are in B team but it is the way. And don't forget that we are talking about PL. Every club can offer good wage. Saints, Palace, Wolves...they all can offer solid wage to Jones or Rojo or Lingard.
But we don't do that. So players stay here and wait for chance to play. They know that injuries will happen and things like that. Kill them hope and they will leave( if they are in their best playing years, of course).
Forget B team, Rojo wasn't in match day squad for months, still wants big contract and we are not able to offload him. There was some reported bids from everton and Wolves last season and they didn't offer him enough wages to leave. What you said looks good in theory but it's not possible. You just can't treat a player like piece of trash, if you don't have problem with club doing this shit thing then you shouldn't have problem when players miss training and goes AWOL when they want out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Forget B team, Rojo wasn't in match day squad for months, still wants big contract and we are not able to offload him. There was some reported bids from everton and Wolves last season and they didn't offer him enough wages to leave. What you said looks good in theory but it's not possible. You just can't treat a player like piece of trash, if you don't have problem with club doing this shit thing then you shouldn't have problem when players miss training and goes AWOL when they want out.
Sometimes you need to take a hit with players. With Darmian and Rojo the best thing you could have done is to send them on loan to a club while paying some of their wages (If a club didn't want to pay it all) so they were consistently playing and people were more interested in purchasing them/you could command a bigger fee. That's what other clubs like Chelsea (To an extreme extent) do and that's why they always get decent money for people.

roonster09

Scout
Sometimes you need to take a hit with players. With Darmian and Rojo the best thing you could have done is to send them on loan to a club while paying some of their wages (If a club didn't want to pay it all) so they were consistently playing and people were more interested in purchasing them/you could command a bigger fee. That's what other clubs like Chelsea (To an extreme extent) do and that's why they always get decent money for people.
We should have sold darmian last season when Serie A clubs made 10-12 million bids. We really messed it up.

Rojo is injured half the time, average CB and on insane wages. Wonder which club would have paid even 50% of the wages to take him on loan.

If the reported news was true (that Everton and Wolves wanted him and made bids for him) then we should paid small percentage of his wages to offload him.

I agree with taking hits with players, we had chance to offload them when their contracts was running out and we extended it. That was our chance. I just don't agree with letting the player rot in the reserves just because he doesn't want to leave the club, when the other club don't match his wages.

Eddy_JukeZ

"There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

Complete opposite of what he said post match against Everton.

Runaway Sue

I hope he understands that if we end up with an underwhelming transfer window then his own career and reputation will be on the line. This squad is not fit for purpose and we need more then just a championship player and Saint's reject to change that. Also Woodward won't think twice to throw him under the bus if things go wrong
To be honest, how good is his reputation really? He managed one pl club and he relegated them.

It's nauseating reading some of the stuff @SER19 and the likes write. They dont care about the club, they just want to see their favorite person at the helm no matter how unqualifed they are. People like that cant seperate feelings with logic and that is a very destructive way of living and will always end bad. Its goes against all logic to hire a nobody like Ole.

@SER19 Lets be frank, if his name was Joe Nobody with the exact same resume as Ole, would you want him? Of course you wouldnt. But because he is an idol of yours you throw away all reason and going with your feelings. This is why we are in this position, we need to me far more ruthless and base our decisions of logic, not sentimental feelings.
Not having a go at your SER19, im sure you are a nice guy and all but its clear you are going with feelings on this one rather than logic.

I loved Ole the player but Ole the manager is a dud.

AJ10

"There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

Complete opposite of what he said post match against Everton.
Wasn't it something like, there are players who won't be here? Not sure how thats complete opposite.

What did he mean with the comment about the loudest fans aren’t always the best fans?
Most likely directed towards that twat who was swearing at Pogba at the end of the season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Wasn't it something like, there are players who won't be here? Not sure how thats complete opposite.

Most likely directed towards that twat who was swearing at Pogba at the end of the season.
Or was it the protests that seem to have been popping up? Also it seems Woodward is turning into Levy with transfers, publicly stating we don’t have to overpay.

Oldyella

Because contrary to popular belief - Phil Jones is a decent defender. Not good enough to be a regular - but more than good enough to be a squad-player and he seems happy to stay. Will Jones and Smalling be here in 2 years ? Probably not - but in our current situation we need as many reliable players as possible. And by reliable I mean someone you know what you are gonna get from....and even if Jones makes the odd mistake, 4 out of 5 matches he is solid.
4 out of 5 matches he is injured.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Or was it the protests that seem to have been popping up? Also it seems Woodward is turning into Levy with transfers, publicly stating we don’t have to overpay.
Yes I reckon we should publicly state that we'll overpay for transfers. That seems like a good approach.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyway, these things are meaningless. I cannot believe he thinks players that have failed multiple managers will turn into a success.

Giggsyking

If he means to disrespect the fan base, the largest portion of the fan base, then he will not be here for a long time, being an as* kisser to Ed and the Glazers will not save his job if he fail and talk shit like this.

jackal&hyde

Ole is spot on regarding there being an agenda against Pogba; starting from the media it has spread to some of the more vocal fans.

Great press conference overall.

Fox outside the box

Ole must be Glazer's/ Woodward's dream. They don't have to worry about any negativity or dodgy comment that puts us in a bad light or could get us in trouble.
So, the same as every other owner or CEO of pretty much every business when it comes to someone who is talking to the media on a regular occasion?

bucky

Anyway, these things are meaningless. I cannot believe he thinks players that have failed multiple managers will turn into a success.
What's he supposed to say? He was never going to get an entire new team and if we can't work with or improve the players at his disposal, then he's not the right manager anyway. It's been said multiple times, but it wasn't just the players over the last 6 years. The managers also failed to improve the players that they had. Why is it that quite a few players looked better before they joined or in Memphis' case improved once they left? I can't stand most of them either, but he still has to work with what he's got, even if we bring in 3 more players for example.

Giggsyking

He already backed on what he said few months ago, he is being told what to say am afraid and this is the only way he can continue to be the manager of this club.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think most clubs atm are overpaying on transfers though.
Are you seriously suggesting that Ole should have said in the press conference that we should be overpaying on transfers? :lol:
What we say in PCs is ofcourse gonna be different in negotiations.

roonster09

Scout
What's he supposed to say? He was never going to get an entire new team and if we can't work with or improve the players at his disposal, then he's not the right manager anyway. It's been said multiple times, but it wasn't just the players over the last 6 years. The managers also failed to improve the players that they had. Why is it that quite a few players looked better before they joined or in Memphis' case improved once they left? I can't stand most of them either, but he still has to work with what he's got, even if we bring in 3 more players for example.
Exactly. Expectations from the managers should be to improve players and get more than sum of the parts. Obviously we need better players too but managers are at fault as much as players.

I think most clubs atm are overpaying on transfers though.
Yeah, but you don't tell we will pay any price to land the players.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Are you seriously suggesting that Ole should have said in the press conference that we should be overpaying on transfers? :lol:
What we say in PCs is ofcourse gonna be different in negotiations.
No of course he shouldn’t, I just don’t see the point of the statement, anyway it doesn’t really matter.

lifted

He probably doesn't believe certain players will succeed, but what does saying that publicly in pre season achieve?

Speedicut75

I think I read somewhere that Ed is a big fan of the approach Levy adopts in transfer matters, especially when it comes to selling players, and dragging potential buying clubs into deep water when looking to safeguard personnel they don't want to move on.
Mind you, when it comes to recruiting players Ed does have a tendency to behave like a lottery winner who's just been told that the winning ticket is only valid for 48 hrs.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Our potential sales are basically three categories:

Lukaku and Pogba where bids are expected to come in at some point but we won't sell on the cheap.

The 'deadwood' likely to play very few games which I'd say is only Darmian, Rojo and Bailly. We'd like bids to come but in reality who would want them.

Then there's Sanchez...

It's hardly much to be getting worked up about just because he said 'some players wouldn't be here' after the Everton game.