Ole's Press Conference

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No way that quote about the fans hitting F5 is real. I refuse to believe it.

Seven Seas Sardines

He clearly was referring to the entire squad and over a longer period of time than this summer window.
After the Huddersfield draw:
Speaking after the 1-1 draw, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer indicated it may be the end of the road for a number of players at Old Trafford as he admitted that the Europa League was probably United’s current level.

“I can’t talk about individuals now but there’s a chance you’ve seen the last of [some] players,” he said. “We weren’t good enough . . . the table seldom lies.

“Effort and attitude was not the problem. The players were running and trying. We just weren’t good enough. That is the problem.

Dante

Average bang
DDG/Romero
AWB/Dalot
Smalling/Jones
Lindelof/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Young
Matic/Fred
McTomminay/Pereira
Lingard/James
Pogba/Mata
Martial/Sanchez
Rahsford/Greenwood

That's the squad + options. It's already pretty big, with the possibility that Darmian, Lukaku and Rojo on the way out.

It looks like Maguire and Longstaff are seriously under consideration, in which case Tuanzebe/Pereira (or someone else in their position) might be replaced for the season.

I'm very confident and comfortable with that squad. I think top 4 should be easily do-able.

Don't forget that this squad pretty (more or less) got 82 points in 2017/18. It also looked like the best team in England between December and March.

If you throw in Ole's new formation and high-pressing style, and I think we're looking VERY good.

United is full of top class talent (World Cup winners, PL winners, CL winners, best-in-their-position players). Up until now, they've been playing below the sum of their parts. Solskjaer looks like he's finally come up with something that can get them to play like a team. Looks rosy to me.

ChaddyP

Question - If you don't get transfers done, would you be confident with the current squad to move up the places.

Ole - I believe in these players .........

Caf - Wow, woodward puppet. Let me post the Everton quotes and what not.

:lol:

I mean he literally gave the perfect response and the noisy minority goes insane

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some fans won't be happy until he rips off his shirt and reveals a GLAZERS OUT written in blood on his chest. Lunatics.

Seven Seas Sardines

Lukaku hasn't played a pre-season game yet and by all accounts is due to be sold. Darmian has also not played a game. Young and Dalot have been replaced with AWB. And the window is still open and Ole is still expecting transfers. As usual, most of the action occurs towards the end of the window. Best to suspend judgement until then.
It's clear that Lukaku, Darmian and Rojo are expendables that we are dithering around with but will surely be sold before August 31st. The bridge burner, sideburner and toast burner will all be crying in public once they realise they're facing a season in the stands.

TRUERED89

DDG/Romero
AWB/Dalot
Smalling/Jones
Lindelof/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Young
Matic/Fred
McTomminay/Pereira
Lingard/James
Pogba/Mata
Martial/Sanchez
Rahsford/Greenwood

That's the squad + options. It's already pretty big, with the possibility that Darmian, Lukaku and Rojo on the way out.

It looks like Maguire and Longstaff are seriously under consideration, in which case Tuanzebe/Pereira (or someone else in their position) might be replaced for the season.

I'm very confident and comfortable with that squad. I think top 4 should be easily do-able.

Don't forget that this squad pretty (more or less) got 82 points in 2017/18. It also looked like the best team in England between December and March.

If you throw in Ole's new formation and high-pressing style, and I think we're looking VERY good.

United is full of top class talent (World Cup winners, PL winners, CL winners, best-in-their-position players). Up until now, they've been playing below the sum of their parts. Solskjaer looks like he's finally come up with something that can get them to play like a team. Looks rosy to me.
1 WC winner (Pogba - wants to leave & doesn't give a feck about United)
1 CL winner (Mata- old, slow, declined)
5 PL winners (Matic, Jones, Smalling, Young :lol: enough said really, De Gea only one worth mentioning)

We need more quality ASAP, just because they've won sh!t doesn't mean they're going to help the team otherwise we might as well bring in anyone past it that's won big trophies.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No, more just theres a way to go about your business and it shouldnt be the end of the world and moaning or quitting or whatever isn't the way to deal with not making signings. Poch last summer didn't get any new players, he got on with it. Mourinho was dramatic from day 1 and only made things worse.
Each year will get tougher as prices go higher and we will need to strengthen more positions. We keep rambling about being the biggest club in the world. It's time to act and to spend like one. Else we are just the biggest milking cow in football

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It is funny how so many people are dissapointed, because come end of transfer window we did not buy 7,8,9 players and got rid of at least 10 deadwood, not good enough, over payed Diva dross we have. I am also pretty sure if some of Caf people are in charge of transfers, we will by now have completely new team, with each of them on 35k £ per week wages and all transfer fees would be about 10m£ and at the same time we will sell all of our deadwood players for total amount of 250m£.
I don't think anybody has said that they want 9 players. But at this time, we have bought 2 players. Big difference between 2 and 9.

And nobody wants to get rid of 10 players. At this time, I believe only Valencia left (who can be classified as deadwood). I won't include Herrera in that, because he was not deadwood. Big difference between 1 and 10.

It seems that some fans on here are quite happy to accept mediocrity. They find it acceptable to see us limp to a draw against Huddersfield (one of the worst teams ever to play in the EPL). And to then lose in the next game to Cardiff, who was so bad, they got relegated.

By hanging onto the deadwood, we are accepting that losing to relegation candidates is acceptable. And the worst thing about it is that some fans are accepting of this.

Darlington Padgett

5 PL winners (Matic, Jones, Smalling, Young :lol: enough said really, De Gea only one worth mentioning)

We need more quality ASAP, just because they've won sh!t doesn't mean they're going to help the team otherwise we might as well bring in anyone past it that's won big trophies.
Mata is a WC winner too

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
What if no one is interested?
Then still dont bring them on tour. If they are not in your plans, bin them. Darmian and Rojo should have never gone on tour - absolutely pointless. Cant pretend we love them just to gain a few extra mill.

Dante

Average bang

How did we get 82 points a couple of years ago?

Our team is better now.

TRUERED89

How did we get 82 points a couple of years ago?

Our team is better now.
Hardly an achievement finishing 25-30 points behind City, plus Liverpool started focusing more on CL too than the league that year.

Canagel

DDG/Romero
AWB/Dalot
Smalling/Jones
Lindelof/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Young
Matic/Fred
McTomminay/Pereira
Lingard/James
Pogba/Mata
Martial/Sanchez
Rahsford/Greenwood

It's funny how every year we end up with lots of threads demanding a full clearout and by the start of the season the squad is all good again because we have PL winners like Ashley, Smalling and Jones to lead us :lol:

KristianMackle

You can't sell players if:

1) Nobody wants them.

2)Nobody wants to pay the price for them and we're looking to make some kind of return on an investment.

3) See number 1.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I don't think anybody has said that they want 9 players. But at this time, we have bought 2 players. Big difference between 2 and 9.

And nobody wants to get rid of 10 players. At this time, I believe only Valencia left (who can be classified as deadwood). I won't include Herrera in that, because he was not deadwood. Big difference between 1 and 10.

It seems that some fans on here are quite happy to accept mediocrity. They find it acceptable to see us limp to a draw against Huddersfield (one of the worst teams ever to play in the EPL). And to then lose in the next game to Cardiff, who was so bad, they got relegated.

By hanging onto the deadwood, we are accepting that losing to relegation candidates is acceptable. And the worst thing about it is that some fans are accepting of this.
So I wrote a tonque in cheek post, and I am one of the fans who accepting mediocrity? Charming. Thanks.

You also did not write that it is impossible to buy 7,8,9 playes for 10mil Pounds, and our deadwood would not get us 250mil Pounds. Not to mention that non of the bellow mentioned players would be on 35k pounds per week.

Further more, according to Caf these days we should have already signed DeLight, Maguire, Dybala, Pepe, Ericsen, Ceballos, some want Bale, some want Zaha back, Tierney, Aarons, Longstaff, Fernandes, Milinkovic-Savic, am I missing somebody? Basically every player that plays these days.

As of the likes of Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Young, Eric, Mata, Matić, Lingard, Lukaku, Smalling, Shaw, Fred...according to Caf, all of them are deadwood, should have been sold as soon as transfer window was open, to free the space for all of the World Class players we are getting.

Off I go to watch replay of the Cardiff game, cause I loveee me some mediocrity.:houllier:

Alemar

and our deadwood would not get us 250mil Pounds.
Andreas Pereira 20-30m
Darmian 5-10m
Marcos Rojo 15-20m
Jones 20-30m
Joel Pereira - 5m

The above in total would yield 65-95m proceeds. Then we can also sell Lukaku and bring total proceeds to the 130-150m ballpark more or less

TrueRed79

DDG/Romero
AWB/Dalot
Smalling/Jones
Lindelof/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Young
Matic/Fred
McTomminay/Pereira
Lingard/James
Pogba/Mata
Martial/Sanchez
Rahsford/Greenwood

This is a squad that has failed miserably and got plenty of managers sacked. But ok.

romufc

So I wrote a tonque in cheek post, and I am one of the fans who accepting mediocrity? Charming. Thanks.

You also did not write that it is impossible to buy 7,8,9 playes for 10mil Pounds, and our deadwood would not get us 250mil Pounds. Not to mention that non of the bellow mentioned players would be on 35k pounds per week.

Further more, according to Caf these days we should have already signed DeLight, Maguire, Dybala, Pepe, Ericsen, Ceballos, some want Bale, some want Zaha back, Tierney, Aarons, Longstaff, Fernandes, Milinkovic-Savic, am I missing somebody? Basically every player that plays these days.

As of the likes of Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Young, Eric, Mata, Matić, Lingard, Lukaku, Smalling, Shaw, Fred...according to Caf, all of them are deadwood, should have been sold as soon as transfer window was open, to free the space for all of the World Class players we are getting.

Off I go to watch replay of the Cardiff game, cause I loveee me some mediocrity.:houllier:

No one mentioned spending £10m per player. We are one of the richest clubs so we should be able to afford £200m of transfer in without having major issued.
If you tried hard enough, you can sell Lukaku, Rojo, Darmian, Jones. That is not asking for much.

The players you mentioned are called transfer targets! that doesnt mean sign them all, they are better than what we currently have.

Do you think it's not feasible to get 4/5 signings this summer?

TRUERED89

It's funny how every year we end up with lots of threads demanding a full clearout and by the start of the season the squad is all good again because we have PL winners like Ashley, Smalling and Jones to lead us :lol:
My point exactly!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
DDG/Romero
AWB/Dalot
Smalling/Jones
Lindelof/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Young
Matic/Fred
McTomminay/Pereira
Lingard/James
Pogba/Mata
Martial/Sanchez
Rahsford/Greenwood

No proper CFs...

AJ10

This is a squad that has failed miserably and got plenty of managers sacked. But ok.
Not that I like our squad, way too many average players followed by inconsistent players but they got managers sacked? Managers are to blame as well.

LVG played the most boring football I've seen and Jose parked the bus vs Lower teams/threw everyone under the bus at every turn and on top of that these managers had plenty of Windows to get rid.

AshRK

City sold Delph, who was doing fine but they realised he will be a deadwood soon. And here we are making Young captain.

Alemar

Not many here care about being a top-4 club. Not those who've witnessed Ferguson era, at least. Our ambition must be MUCH higher than that - and in this regard the squad we have is sub-par.

TrueRed79

Not that I like our squad, way too many average players followed by inconsistent players but they got managers sacked? Managers are to blame as well.

LVG played the most boring football I've seen and Jose parked the bus vs Lower teams/threw everyone under the bus at every turn and on top of that these managers had plenty of Windows to get rid.
Valid comment, but we can't defend the players any longer. We are past that point. They have to take responsibility and most of the blame.

romufc

Valid comment, but we can't defend the players any longer. We are past that point. They have to take responsibility and most of the blame.

I understand the LVG and Jose bashing but when will fans realise it is about time to have a look at players?

LVG- success wherever he has been, took the dutch to semis. - At United boring.

Jose - We knew his style but he won things - At United, never ever looked like a Jose team.

OGS - By the end of last season the football was horrific.

3 managers, 3 styles, but by the end of it - similar players, not performing and playing boring football.

Dante

Average bang
This threads are wrong to do so.

AshRK

The team was poor on the pitch. The quality is there.
What quality. Apart from Pogba and De Gea there are no WC players. We have some good players in Lindelof, Rashford, Martial, Shaw but jury is yet to be out on them. We have a lot of average squad players who unfortunately as the season progresses become first choice aka young, jones, Mata, Lingard. This is not what you call quality.

Idxomer

City sold Delph, who was doing fine but they realised he will be a deadwood soon. And here we are making Young captain.
Great point. Once I saw this news, I said to myself that's why they're so ahead of us. They get rid of their players right before they become deaadwood. We keep them years after they become deadwood and some fans wonder why there's no club in for them.

Dante

Average bang
What quality. Apart from Pogba and De Gea there are no WC players. We have some good players in Lindelof, Rashford, Martial, Shaw but jury is yet to be out on them. We have a lot of average squad players who unfortunately as the season progresses become first choice aka young, jones, Mata, Lingard. This is not what you call quality.
You've made an arbitrary line for WC/good/average based on 'the jury'. I've done the same based on actually understanding football and watching United play.

TrueRed79

Great point. Once I saw this news, I said to myself that's why they're so ahead of us. They get rid of their players right before they become deaadwood. We keep them years after they become deadwood and some fans wonder why there's no club in for them.
Yep, they sell them while they have value but are on the decline. We are just a terribly run football club. Did i say football? Doesn't seem like we are anymore.

AshRK

You've made an arbitrary line for WC/good/average based on 'the jury'. I've done the same based on actually understanding football and watching United play.
If you think the likes of Young, Jones are good players let alone worldclass then your understanding of football is poor. Truth is we have a lot of average player and one need not do a PHD on football to understand that.

Jordan_mufc

Just going to post a few of Mourinho's comments from last pre-season as a bit of contrast:

"Do you want me to be very happy with the players [Sanchez] has around him? We are not playing here to improve the team, the dynamic or our routines. We are playing just to try to survive and not have some ugly results. Alexis is the only attacking player that we have"

"Antonio Valencia comes from holiday - I think too much holiday for him"

"This is not our team, this is not our squad - not even 30 per cent of it. We start the game with almost half the players who are not even going to belong to our squad on August 9 [transfer deadline day]."

"Because for the beginning of the season we are going to be in trouble."

I mean if I had to choose between his and Ole's comments, I know which side I'm on.

AshRK

Ole is saying the right things but it only works as long results are ok. A loss against Spurs and his ultra positive comments means nothing.
So you are saying it will be all doom and gloom if we lose tomorrow.

Fooza

Just going to post a few of Mourinho's comments from last pre-season as a bit of contrast:

"Do you want me to be very happy with the players [Sanchez] has around him? We are not playing here to improve the team, the dynamic or our routines. We are playing just to try to survive and not have some ugly results. Alexis is the only attacking player that we have"

"Antonio Valencia comes from holiday - I think too much holiday for him"

"This is not our team, this is not our squad - not even 30 per cent of it. We start the game with almost half the players who are not even going to belong to our squad on August 9 [transfer deadline day]."

"Because for the beginning of the season we are going to be in trouble."

I mean if I had to choose between his and Ole's comments, I know which side I'm on.

Mou - Spoke his mind, we knew where we are standing, but being negative wasn't good for the team.
Ole - Clearly will cover up and put a positive spin on things, we don't know exactly what is going on at times, but good morale for the team

Ole edges it because of the effect it'll have for the team, let's just hope we get the results when PL starts...