Ole's Press Conference

romufc

Ole can be upbeat all he wants but if the players are not good enough, he will suffer the same fate as Jose.

Rish Sawhney

Mou - Spoke his mind, we knew where we are standing, but being negative wasn't good for the team.
Ole - Clearly will cover up and put a positive spin on things, we don't know exactly what is going on at times, but good morale for the team

Ole edges it because of the effect it'll have for the team, let's just hope we get the results when PL starts...

You're ignoring that fact that what was on his mind was mostly shit. Every team was missing first team players due to the world cup. So in actuality, he wasn't speaking his mind, he was playing his typical politics to make himself the hero in the eyes on the fans that already don't like the board and Glazers. And a good chunk fell for it hook, line and sinker.

SAF had plenty of disappointing windows - all managers do. Doesn't mean you start a war with the board and the owners. No manager has ever won that fight. But the fans don't care about the long term success of the club. They care about the bantz in the upcoming season and how many big names they can brag to their friends about their team getting.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Doesn't mean you start a war with the board and the owners. No manager has ever won that fight.
Except Benitez. He's successfully painted the owners as utter villains and himself as a saint who can do no wrong at almost every club he's managed! Of course, he didn't have to try to hard at Newcastle, it was perfectly setup for his MO.

Rish Sawhney

Except Benitez. He's successfully painted the owners as utter villains and himself as a saint who can do no wrong at almost every club he's managed! Of course, he didn't have to try to hard at Newcastle, it was perfectly setup for his MO.
Oh I must have not heard the news that Benitez is still at Newcastle and Ashley is gone.

Its easy to turn the fans against owners because a) most fans don't have a clue what it takes to run a club, b) most people hate the rich people anyways and c) with the advent of FM/FIFA fans have a very simplistic view of how things like transfers and contracts work.

Fooza

You're ignoring that fact that what was on his mind was mostly shit. Every team was missing first team players due to the world cup. So in actuality, he wasn't speaking his mind, he was playing his typical politics to make himself the hero in the eyes on the fans that already don't like the board and Glazers. And a good chunk fell for it hook, line and sinker.

SAF had plenty of disappointing windows - all managers do. Doesn't mean you start a war with the board and the owners. No manager has ever won that fight. But the fans don't care about the long term success of the club. They care about the bantz in the upcoming season and how many big names they can brag to their friends about their team getting.
Even though I agree that Mourinho made it all about him and he didn't care that his comments was going against the board. However some will see that as refreshing that the manager will just speak out against the board if he isn't happy, something Ole won't do. In my opinion I've always preferred managers keeping things 'in house' but not everyone sees it that way.

If the window closes in a couple of weeks and we don't bring in anyone or sell anyone (big if), you are going to get fans that will question Ole's honesty, because what he said at the end of the last season and what he's saying now are two different things.

Patience will wear thin about his niceness, and if that's the case I really hope we get the results in the PL otherwise Ole's going to have a miserable time.

RedDevilRoshi

Just trying to be upbeat and don’t create a negative vibe around the club like Jose done 12 months ago. We all seen the damage that done to our season.

I’m sure deep down he is not pleased that Ed has not been able to bring him in any further new additions but doesn’t want to make a scene of it as it won’t make much of a difference.

For me personally, I’m not going to blame Ole one bit for the lack of signings. That’s not his job. Woodward should get the full brunt of that.

Rish Sawhney

Even though I agree that Mourinho made it all about him and he didn't care that his comments was going against the board. However some will see that as refreshing that the manager will just speak out against the board if he isn't happy, something Ole won't do. In my opinion I've always preferred managers keeping things 'in house' but not everyone sees it that way.

If the window closes in a couple of weeks and we don't bring in anyone or sell anyone (big if), you are going to get fans that will question Ole's honesty, because what he said at the end of the last season and what he's saying now are two different things.

Patience will wear thin about his niceness, and if that's the case I really hope we get the results in the PL otherwise Ole's going to have a miserable time.
You're right but that doesn't make it right. Fans - like any large group of people in a mob - are stupid and impulsive. Fans wanted Fergie out in 1989. Fans were the ones who wanted Fergie to retire in 2005. If say, we don't sign anyone else and Ole finishes say 7th next season, fans will want his head. Why? If the fans were really smart they'd have flags and fly plane banners about Woodward. Just watching how much fans have already turned on Ole make me more convinced that the fans are what will never allow us to rebuild properly.

Cathy Ferguson

Just trying to be upbeat and don’t create a negative vibe around the club like Jose done 12 months ago. We all seen the damage that done to our season.

I’m sure deep down he is not pleased that Ed has not been able to bring him in any further new additions but doesn’t want to make a scene of it as it won’t make much of a difference.

For me personally, I’m not going to blame Ole one bit for the lack of signings. That’s not his job. Woodward should get the full brunt of that.
I totally agree, Ole must be pissed off that Woody and the Glazers refuse to invest despite finishing 32 points off the top last season.

Dante

Average bang
If you think the likes of Young, Jones are good players let alone worldclass then your understanding of football is poor. Truth is we have a lot of average player and one need not do a PHD on football to understand that.
They're both squad players.

Can you name any better 4th choice fullbacks than Young in the league? Jones is a good player who is never fit. Neither get into the first XI. You're focussing on those two. I'm saying the squad overall is good enough.

Untd55

Just going to post a few of Mourinho's comments from last pre-season as a bit of contrast:

"Do you want me to be very happy with the players [Sanchez] has around him? We are not playing here to improve the team, the dynamic or our routines. We are playing just to try to survive and not have some ugly results. Alexis is the only attacking player that we have"

"Antonio Valencia comes from holiday - I think too much holiday for him"

"This is not our team, this is not our squad - not even 30 per cent of it. We start the game with almost half the players who are not even going to belong to our squad on August 9 [transfer deadline day]."

"Because for the beginning of the season we are going to be in trouble."

I mean if I had to choose between his and Ole's comments, I know which side I'm on.
That is because people do not like it when others say the truth. There is a reason why the saying "ignorance is bliss" exists.

Sometimes things need to be said or the problem will just keep on being buried, but people seem to prefer that. This is what leads to problems continuing.

Lemansky

That is because people do not like it when others say the truth. There is a reason why the saying "ignorance is bliss" exists.

Sometimes things need to be said or the problem will just keep on being buried, but people seem to prefer that. This is what leads to problems continuing.
These comments are bad leadership. Nothing good comes from giving out comments like that. He can scream and shout internally, but not in public like that. There is a reason Mou only last so long in the clubs he manages.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

If everyone spoke truth it will be very ugly. Players should also speak their mind, how Jose was such a poor manager who set up his team like a coward.

Or Woodward should have told the media how useless Jose is, after spending so much money, every player looked worse than before.

Rish Sawhney

Except when the things said are dumb and counterproductive. If you think your boss is taking the incorrect action you don't go public with it, you talk to him, try to convince him and if not possible try to work towards a compromise. Also I think you are confusing telling the truth with spouting BS that the fans will lap up because they are spoilt children who've no clue what supporting a team means.

AshRK

They're both squad players.

Can you name any better 4th choice fullbacks than Young in the league? Jones is a good player who is never fit. Neither get into the first XI. You're focussing on those two. I'm saying the squad overall is good enough.
Young is not a 4th choice. One injury to AWB or shaw he becomes a regular. Weren't you watching us last season. Young was our first choice full back , not 4th choice. Our squad is good to be fighting for top 4 but as Manchester United shouldn't we aim for better.

AJ10

"Do you want me to be very happy with the players [Sanchez] has around him? We are not playing here to improve the team, the dynamic or our routines. We are playing just to try to survive and not have some ugly results. Alexis is the only attacking player that we have"

"This is not our team, this is not our squad - not even 30 per cent of it. We start the game with almost half the players who are not even going to belong to our squad on August 9 [transfer deadline day]."
Most of what Jose said last summer was correct imo but always hated this type of crap from him.

You take away half a team from pep/klopp/poch and we'll still see a team who play their style despite lack of quality but we had jose who didn't care about implementing his style on entire squad but only players who started (didn't look like he bothered with that either)... you'd think he was the only one with key players missing.

Second quote is just pathetic from a united manager.... throwing young players under the bus....Great way to start the season and build a strong connection with his players.

Last edited:

RobbieBerns

Can’t find any faults in the way Ole has gone about this preseason. I’m sure he’s frustrated in the same way we are, but he knows it would do no good to publicly air that out.

The boys have looked sharp from both a fitness and tactics standpoint, so fair play to Ole for doing they best work with what we have.

I think he got too much stick for the poor way we ended last year, given the mass injury wave that came about, as well as the circumstances surrounding the club when he took over.

I believed that he would do well given a preseason with the lads, and i've been impressed with words as well as what we’ve seen on the pitch.

Revaulx

He said both things. Judging from our lineup of the 4-0 loss against Everton, could've been expected for us to get rid of Jones, Smalling, Young, Matic and Lukaku..

• 1de Gea
  • 2Lindelöf
  • 12Smalling
  • 4Jones (Young)
  • 20Dalot
  • 6Pogba
  • 31Matic
  • 17Fred (McTominay)
  • 10Rashford (Pereira)
  • 9Lukaku
  • 11Martial
Why just those? De Gea was terrible in that game.

Or are they just the players you don’t like?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Some of you want the club to be in a shambles clearly. Yes let the boss criticise the players and the Board, that's gonna get our season started on the right track...

DoomSlayer

Some of you want the club to be in a shambles clearly. Yes let the boss criticise the players and the Board, that's gonna get our season started on the right track...
It's insane. Ole has the best interest of our club, people expect him to be like Mourinho, the prick who went on a mission of self-destruction just to prove a point.

RedDevilRoshi

Totally disagree. The way he was complaining was as if he was the only manager that had no players available. He knew fine well that it was a World Cup year and that it was very unlikely the players that played at the World Cup would not be available. Also imagine you were a youth player in that squad and the manager was coming out with comments in public that you were not going to be considered and were only there to make up the numbers. No matter how well you played on the tour, you won’t be considered for selection once the competitive action got underway. You’d probably be onto your agent asking them to look for a new club that will give youngsters a chance. He created a real toxic atmosphere in the dressing room that resulted in a very poor start to the season.

RedDevil-85

Nothing wrong with what Ole has said at all,get a fecking grip people.

Im 100% sure there are players in the squad that Ole wants sold,but its not his job to do it and what the feck is he supposed to do if Woodward cant move them on? Throw them under the bus in pre season 2 weeks before the season starts...yeah im sure that would work wonders for the squad.

Ole is now stuck with this squad and has to make the most of it,so he tries to build up the players and get ready again.
Nothing wrong with that.

Our squad is awful,thats not Oles fault.
We have only bought 2 and the deadwood is still here,thats not Oles fault.

This season will go to shit if Woodward doesnt do his fecking job and back the manager,like he said he would right before the summer.

AdamAdams

Also I think that Fletcher and Butt were massively overrated among fans. Between the two they have like what, a year worth of WC performances? Both were great squad players nothing more nothing less
I think Butt was underrated. In a different era he'd have been the main man in midfield. He put in some MOTM performances for England too.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just seen posts from the redacted parts of the press conference to be released later doing the rounds on Twitter. Did he really say that people who obsess over the Maguire transfer are “virgins who do not matter”? :lol: Absolutely love this man.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I would be more worried about his comments on Pogba if I was a United fan, saying "Paul has been absolutely top in the group, both me and the players will testify to that. He's never for a second been a problem. We're just grateful when he performs as well as he does"

Grateful is a worrying word for your manager to use regarding the performances of a key player. A manager should not be grateful that someone he is in charge of is doing what he is paid (very handsomely) to do. Sets the tone of the tail wagging the dog.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I would be more worried about his comments on Pogba if I was a United fan, saying "Paul has been absolutely top in the group, both me and the players will testify to that. He's never for a second been a problem. We're just grateful when he performs as well as he does"

Grateful is a worrying word for your manager to use regarding the performances of a key player. A manager should not be grateful that someone he is in charge of is doing what he is paid (very handsomely) to do. Sets the tone of the tail wagging the dog.
Mate I think you missed out a letter in your name! :keano:

tony54

The one thing that worries me is that
the player who was at the thick of our collapsing badly at the end of season is now being bulled up to be our possible captain. If he isn't gone for next season then we have a big problem. He had enough chances to show his loyalty but laughed in our face at every turn.
Without an incoming good midfielder we are going to find it hard when the season starts. Apart from mctom we are gutless and painfully slow in midfield. Fred trys hard but is headless and Matic is now too slow.

Dante

Average bang
Young is not a 4th choice. One injury to AWB or shaw he becomes a regular. Weren't you watching us last season. Young was our first choice full back , not 4th choice. Our squad is good to be fighting for top 4 but as Manchester United shouldn't we aim for better.
This isn't Football Manager. De Ligt and Sancho won't come to us.

The process of getting back to the top is incremental. The squad easily good enough to jump that increment, but lacks the recent success to convince potential purchases that it can make the next one.

United's immediate aim is to be competetive enough to look enticing for the best of the best. You're asking for the icing when there's no cake and nobody wants to sell us the necessary ingredients.

Godfather

The process of getting back to the top is incremental. The squad easily good enough to jump that increment, but lacks the recent success to convince potential purchases that it can make the next one.

United's immediate aim is to be competetive enough to look enticing for the best of the best. You're asking for the icing when there's no cake and nobody wants to sell us the necessary ingredients.
It's not easily good enough. It will be a hard fight with Chelsea and Arse imo. We are not close to Pool, City or even Spurs at this time.

meninred

I am just worried about the club and Ole. If they have a bad start (continue from where they stopped at the end of the season), the team may not recover and Ole could be gone by Christmas.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
So you are saying it will be all doom and gloom if we lose tomorrow.
It’s all about context.

Unfortunately Ole made some unfiltered comments in the heat of the moment after some of our losses last season that raised many supporters expectations. The context was getting rid of some of our deadwood and replace them with young talented quality. We all knew it would take some windows to fix this but the overall consensus among supporters was that players like Valencia, Rojo, Darmian, Jones and Pereira, (maybe Sánchez if we where lucky) should be sold or and then replaced with a couple of new players that could slot right in and become starters.

With this mind it’s understandable that many supporters are unhappy with the outcome so far. We all know that this isn’t Ole’s fault but some of his comments doesn’t install optimism regarding signing new players.

If you put this all together and some bad results then you will see what will happen. If Spurs spank us tomorrow and our defense look shaky, they overrun our midfield and our forwards don’t produce what do you think the media will report? Can you imagine this place.

R'hllor

Just seen posts from the redacted parts of the press conference to be released later doing the rounds on Twitter. Did he really say that people who obsess over the Maguire transfer are “virgins who do not matter”? :lol: Absolutely love this man.
Attempt No2, surely at some point you will catch someone.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Oh I must have not heard the news that Benitez is still at Newcastle and Ashley is gone.

Its easy to turn the fans against owners because a) most fans don't have a clue what it takes to run a club, b) most people hate the rich people anyways and c) with the advent of FM/FIFA fans have a very simplistic view of how things like transfers and contracts work.
This. It's a miracle that Woodward is still in a job given that most fans believe that he is unable to tie his own shoes

AshRK

I am not saying we should sign all the top players. I just don't agree with your assessment that this squad is good enough to compete with the best. ANd even keeping your point in mind of one step at a time, we, this summer, have even failed to do that. Had we sold some of the deadwood then I would have been more confident. In Darmian, Jones, Young, Rojo we have 4 players who could and should have been sold. I wouldn't have mind keeping 1 or 2 even fromt hat 4 had our rest of the squad been filled with quality. The problem is even the rest has bunch of players who are just not good enough to start regularly for united ; eg. Mata. Smalling, Lingard. Sanchez and then we have players like Fred, Baily, McTominay, Dalot, Martial, who have yet to prove if they can perform consistently well. We have too many players who have question mark besides them and that is not good.