Ole's Squad Management

Teja

Regardless of your opinion on this, just wanted to throw it out there that he expects to go in with a similar attitude next season as well. He had a couple of interviews where he said given we're in the CL next year, players should expect to play 40-50 games and we can't rotate like we did with the EL this year.

For the life of me I can't understand why we need to bother with the league / FA cups. If you remember, Rashford originally got injured after coming on a sub (half fit) against Wolves in the FA cup. Pool don't have a great squad either and they acknowledge it and let the kids play out the cup games. You need a squad that's as good as City's if you want to compete on all fronts and we just don't have that.

Go for the league, deep run in the CL next year and I'll be happy.

Devil81

The worrying thing about this constant main 11 players is it's more apparent the drop in quality when one of these lads come into the team.

If they aren't good enough, how do we compete next season. Do we invest heavily in squad players rather than key players?

TR1985

Just shows the lack of quality and form of the other players. Simply not the same standard as the likes of Park back in the day. We need more transfer business than Sancho as a result and hope we actually start getting deals done as other clubs seem more than capable

Gator Nate

Gotta love this thread, we’ve gone full circle.

Play our strongest 11: “Ole doesn’t know how to manage games and the squad #oleout”

Play anyone not in the strongest 11: “uhhmagerrd why is Ole playing <insert name here> it shows how our standards have fallen #oleout”
Every. Single. Time.

Where has anyone said this in this thread?

This is exactly why the football forum has gone to shit in recent years. There's no deabte or critical thinking. It's black or white opinions with no grey area for discussion.

It is a valid point to discuss Ole's management of the overall squad. Add to the discussion rather than making strawmen to try and make yourself feel like a better fan.
It's how it always goes. If you're totally honest, you cannot criticize both the lack of depth in the squad AND Ole's rotational tendencies AND the results that follow (which are generally wins and draws in spite of everything). Debate all you want, but if you recognize the dropoff after the first XI, then any complaints about Ole dropping square pegs into round holes is entirely down to the lack of recognition that all the holes are round and all the remaining pegs are square.

But Zen's observation is on point: When Ole does pick the best XI, there are howls from the gallery that Ole needs to rotate. So when Ole does rotate, there are more howls from the gallery that whoever he picked for rotation was entirely the wrong player. And it doesn't matter who it is!

From my point of view, when Ole rotates, we hope and pray the other nine or ten won't drop a level, but bring the others up. But you can't totally shift your base formations just because of one or two players. (Of course, when he does shift the base formation, a segment piles onto him for not knowing how he wants to play; it's happened enough times.)

Dan_F

If squad players can’t be trusted to start a league game at home to a bottom half team, they shouldn’t be at the club. Never mind against Copenhagen.

I’m not saying we need to rotate everyone at once, but how often did that “first 11” start together in the treble season, I know it was a ridiculously low number.

I completely understand the depth issue, but Ighalo and James are both players that he’s signed to do that role. If Ole doesn’t trust them to play, it’s on him really. There’s plenty of cheap players who have done well against us this season. There’s times where he definitely could have started Ighalo, put Martial on the left and rested Rashford after the injury.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am guessing you have not played football in the heat.
It's pretty clear some people have next to no context about football isn't it!

I do a lot of running, racing etc.

I went out today late morning, towards midday and it was around 32, the temp quoted at the start of the game yesterday. It was brutal - it totally saps you and very quickly - a few sprints and you're ruined.

Yes, i'm just some guy, and not a highly conditioned pro - but there's a factual temperature where performance drops off. And that'll be in the mid 20s I'm sure.
32 is raw heat - especially to England.

There's a reason we don't play in summer usually! Let alone global warming hyped summers!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Everyone moaning at playing our best players every game is forgetting we've been regularly subbing them off when ahead.

He's doing the right thing.
You don't suddenly chuck a bunch of the squaddies - who we all moan about - in when there's a tiny handful of games to win a trophy.
Not unless you have a 5-0 lead - and guess what - we DID rotate heavily there!

romufc

It's pretty clear some people have next to no context about football isn't it!

I do a lot of running, racing etc.

I went out today late morning, towards midday and it was around 32, the temp quoted at the start of the game yesterday. It was brutal - it totally saps you and very quickly - a few sprints and you're ruined.

Yes, i'm just some guy, and not a highly conditioned pro - but there's a factual temperature where performance drops off. And that'll be in the mid 20s I'm sure.
32 is raw heat - especially to England.

There's a reason we don't play in summer usually! Let alone global warming hyped summers!
I don't care how fit they are, they are still humans, they are not super human.

The heat saps energy, it is a known fact.

Slik

O
I think Ole needs to learn how to use his squad effectively rather than jamming square pegs in round holes when he makes changes.

Our starting 11 picks itself, but Ole does not alter the shape of tactics when he rotates and that makes the poorer squad players look even worse than they are.

Obviously players like Lingard are not good enough in the long term but a lot of the expectations on him are unfair. He isn't Bruno and will never play to that standard, yet we as fans and Ole as manager often expct a Bruno-lite performance from him when he does play.

This has always been my biggest worry and criticism of Ole, his inability (or seeming inability) to get the most out the squad. If we're still having this conversation next year when he should have almost finished assembling his squad serious question need to be asked over his ability. I do think he can offset some of his short comings by improving the coaching team around him.
Or he buys players that actually fit how he wants to play like how every manager does. Example Guardiola, Klopp etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't care how fit they are, they are still humans, they are not super human.

The heat saps energy, it is a known fact.
erm, yes, I was sort of absolutely 100% saying that. At length!

SER19

We need 3-4 squad players of good quality more than we need 1 starter. It's clear how far the drop off is particularly in attack when we use our bench. Only mata is real quality and that's only for particular type of games

Devil81

I hate to say it but City are showing the way to do it, Ake and Torres aren't coming in as key players. They are coming in as top class competition for places.

We need to be looking at developing the squad. Sancho would give us a new dimension but we could buy maybe three decent squad additions for his fee alone.

keithsingleton

As a manager I'm not Ole's biggest fan, long term he's not the answer for putting our great club at the top of the tree. He hasn't done a bad job but to date he hasn't got that cutting edge to compete tactically with the likes of Klopp, Pep and many others.

When we look at our squad you can balantly see that we only have a top 11 so it's always going to be very difficult for Ole to rotate and still get the consistency as fans we like. Ole's in a catch 22 sitiuation so I really sympathize with him in that department.

Even with another 2/3 players it's still going to be difficult getting in that top two of the holy grail. I won't give up though, thick or thin squad my passion won't falter.

COME ON YOU REDS.

b82REZ

Every. Single. Time.

It's how it always goes. If you're totally honest, you cannot criticize both the lack of depth in the squad AND Ole's rotational tendencies AND the results that follow (which are generally wins and draws in spite of everything). Debate all you want, but if you recognize the dropoff after the first XI, then any complaints about Ole dropping square pegs into round holes is entirely down to the lack of recognition that all the holes are round and all the remaining pegs are square.

But Zen's observation is on point: When Ole does pick the best XI, there are howls from the gallery that Ole needs to rotate. So when Ole does rotate, there are more howls from the gallery that whoever he picked for rotation was entirely the wrong player. And it doesn't matter who it is!

From my point of view, when Ole rotates, we hope and pray the other nine or ten won't drop a level, but bring the others up. But you can't totally shift your base formations just because of one or two players. (Of course, when he does shift the base formation, a segment piles onto him for not knowing how he wants to play; it's happened enough times.)
I have no idea what you mean by this. If you're trying to tell me we can't be critical of Ole when he rotates you are completely wrong.

On your last paragraph, that is my concern. That Ole relies on the moments of individual brilliance to paper over the cracks. Whether those cracks be poorer players or bad tactical decisions. So far he hasn't convinced me he can adapt to the situation. He has shown glimpses, but overall I'm often left scratching my head over some of his decisions. Last night as an example, how on earth did he allow Rashford to continue while removing our biggest attacking threat?

Some of the criticism Ole receives is OTT, but similarly some of the praise he gets is equally hyperbolic. Ole's true ability lies somewhere between the two sides but the constant attempts to silence debate around some of Ole's questionable decisions is tiresome. And the poster I quoted is one of the absolute worse for dropping obnoxious strawmen arguments which offers very little to the conversation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As a manager I'm not Ole's biggest fan, long term he's not the answer for putting our great club at the top of the tree. He hasn't done a bad job but to date he hasn't got that cutting edge to compete tactically with the likes of Klopp, Pep and many others.

When we look at our squad you can balantly see that we only have a top 11 so it's always going to be very difficult for Ole to rotate and still get the consistency as fans we like. Ole's in a catch 22 sitiuation so I really sympathize with him in that department.

Even with another 2/3 players it's still going to be difficult getting in that top two of the holy grail. I won't give up though, thick or thin squad my passion won't falter.

COME ON YOU REDS.
Do you think anyone would have had us higher than 3rd this season, given the same 18months or so Ole had, picking us up as he did?

And in terms of squad strength, do Liverpool have much below their main 11?
To me, their midfield is a group of fairly similar level players who can interchange, without the top class of Pogba and Bruno (then we can use McTom and Fred). Almost nothing to fill in for the front 3 (like us), and barely anything to fill in for the back 5 (maybe Matip/Gomez, versus our Lindelof/Bailly choice)

The huge difference is they seem to miss so few games between them, whereas just Pogba, Martial and Rashford missed a full season between them.

Gator Nate

I have no idea what you mean by this. If you're trying to tell me we can't be critical of Ole when he rotates you are completely wrong.

On your last paragraph, that is my concern. That Ole relies on the moments of individual brilliance to paper over the cracks. Whether those cracks be poorer players or bad tactical decisions. So far he hasn't convinced me he can adapt to the situation. He has shown glimpses, but overall I'm often left scratching my head over some of his decisions. Last night as an example, how on earth did he allow Rashford to continue while removing our biggest attacking threat?

Some of the criticism Ole receives is OTT, but similarly some of the praise he gets is equally hyperbolic. Ole's true ability lies somewhere between the two sides but the constant attempts to silence debate around some of Ole's questionable decisions is tiresome. And the poster I quoted is one of the absolute worse for dropping obnoxious strawmen arguments which offers very little to the conversation.
That is absolutely not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that when you sub in players, you hope that the rest of the team brings them up, rather than them bringing the rest of the team down. But if a coach doesn't rely on individual brilliance, then why bother bringing in quality players? The entire basis of a strong team is individual brilliance. "Paper over the cracks" is such an overused cliche around here. You make do until you can get better, but the entire point of having Pogba, Bruno, Martial and the like to to get that individual brilliance to shine every once in a while. When it does, it's beautiful.

Mainoldo

No problem with him playing his best 11 minus David De Zaster!

But really hope he would trust the subs when the minutes go on. You can take off one of the front 3, Bruno included to change the shape of a tie. Hopefully Mata’s performance gave him confidence to do this. Lingard for Rashford should also be utilised earlier if Rashford continues to underperform.

keithsingleton

Do you think anyone would have had us higher than 3rd this season, given the same 18months or so Ole had, picking us up as he did?

And in terms of squad strength, do Liverpool have much below their main 11?
To me, their midfield is a group of fairly similar level players who can interchange, without the top class of Pogba and Bruno (then we can use McTom and Fred). Almost nothing to fill in for the front 3 (like us), and barely anything to fill in for the back 5 (maybe Matip/Gomez, versus our Lindelof/Bailly choice)

The huge difference is they seem to miss so few games between them, whereas just Pogba, Martial and Rashford missed a full season between them.
"He'll no" 3rd was unbelievable considering how bad we were mid season. Never in my widest dreams could many of us predict we'd get to 3 semi finals all though Ole fecked up his tactics against Arsenal ( IMO ) and still a chance to go on and win the Europa Cup. On present form though we can't beat Sevilla or Milan.

Our lads are running on empty which to be fair isn't really Oles's fault. I just don't think ( like I've said often ) he cant do a Klopp or Pep. Remember Ole got the job not on what he's previously done as a manager but more as a player. Not what I consider the right credentials for the biggest job in football. However, I certainly hope I'm eating humble pie if United give him long enough for us to win the League again.

Liverpool basically in the same situation as us and all though this season they have a better 11 their bench very much same as ours, they just had a remarkable season where they were nearly injury free. That won't happen next year though as many many clubs will have loads of injuries due to what's happens over the last five months.

The noisy neighbors will be favourites due to a very good bench that presently no one in the league can match. Hurts saying it but that's just how I see it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"He'll no" 3rd was unbelievable considering how bad we were mid season. Never in my widest dreams could many of us predict we'd get to 3 semi finals all though Ole fecked up his tactics against Arsenal ( IMO ) and still a chance to go on and win the Europa Cup. On present form though we can't beat Sevilla or Milan.

Our lads are running on empty which to be fair isn't really Oles's fault. I just don't think ( like I've said often ) he can do a Klopp or Pep. Remember Ole got the job not on what he's previously done as a manager but more as a player. Not what I consider the right credentials for the biggest job in football. However, I certainly hope I'm eating humble pie if United give him long enough for us to win the League again.

Liverpool basically in the same situation as us and all though this season they have a better 11 their bench very much same as ours, they just had a remarkable season where they were nearly injury free. That won't happen next year though as many many clubs will have loads of injuries due to what's happens over the last five months.

The noisy neighbors will be favourites due to a very good bench that presently no one in the league can match. Hurts saying it but that's just how I see it.
I think we can all agree that the 2 essential things are that one, Ole is backed, and two, that we continue to sensibly add quality player after quality player, properly targeted for a specific position of need.

Liverpool did this superbly over the last few years, and we made an excellent start with Maguire, WB and Bruno.
The Sancho saga seems totally 50-50 at best right now, but he'll be a game changer.

Just that alone I think gives us an outside chance of competing at the top. If it's combined with our main boys playing a lot higher percentage of games then they managed last year

keithsingleton

I think we can all agree that the 2 essential things are that one, Ole is backed, and two, that we continue to sensibly add quality player after quality player, properly targeted for a specific position of need.

Liverpool did this superbly over the last few years, and we made an excellent start with Maguire, WB and Bruno.
The Sancho saga seems totally 50-50 at best right now, but he'll be a game changer.

Just that alone I think gives us an outside chance of competing at the top. If it's combined with our main boys playing a lot higher percentage of games then they managed last year
Absolutely agree and please god he can do a Fergie ( in time ) even though I'm currently not seeing it. I certainly have no complaints with the players he's brought in so far and yes Sancho could be a game changer even though personally I put a CB as priority, both will be very nice though.

I don't see the Sancho gate tape as a 50/50. More like 85/15 in our favour. Just the usual Bullsh!t we here in the gutter press/ social media. There will be 1000 pages in the Sancho thread before long and as such stopped reading that thread when possible. :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely agree and please god he can do a Fergie ( in time ) even though I'm currently not seeing it. I certainly have no complaints with the players he's brought in so far and yes Sancho could be a game changer even though personally I put a CB as priority, both will be very nice though.

I don't see the Sancho gate tape as a 50/50. More like 85/15 in our favour. Just the usual Bullsh!t we here in the gutter press/ social media. There will be 1000 pages in the Sancho thread before long and as such stopped reading that thread when possible. :D
Hope you're right.

We have seen with Maguire and WB long drawn out sagas for very gettable players, and Dortmund do have history for this sort of behaviour.

But 120m is just such a stratospheric amount, especially in this world climate.

keithsingleton

Hope you're right.

We have seen with Maguire and WB long drawn out sagas for very gettable players, and Dortmund do have history for this sort of behaviour.

But 120m is just such a stratospheric amount, especially in this world climate.
It's the usual because it's United let's string them up for as much as they can get. It will be crying shame if we have to pay the 120 million as not only does it send a statement that we're mugs paying it, but also in the future of general transfers because the days of big money signings for the foreseeable should be considerably lower due to covid.

Rival fans will have field day taking the piss, least that's how I see it. The fact that United are the only team currently after such a talented world class player tells us all how difficult times are, not only with us now but also well into next year and god knows further.

However, what is nice is such our fan base world wide we can still attract big players albeit at inflated prices to our great club.

Green_Red

Don't know about you lot but I think Ole needs to bite the bullet on squad management and take a different approach.

the current tactic seems to be trying to eek our way over the line largely with the current main 11, many of whom are dead on their feet. I was pleased to see Matic rested as his performance level dips badly when he is tired and the Bailly gamble paid off giving Lindelof a break.

the main issue I see is with our attack and Bruno and Rashford in particular who look spent. Bruno's effectiveness has declined over the last number of games and Rashford looks like he's lost a lot of sharpness. The tiredness is evident in the misplaced passes too.

In contrast Inter looked a lot sharper I thought, maybe with a slower less intense league??? (guessing here)

I think it might be an idea to start with James and Lingard in the next game (a gamble I know) and try to use Bruno and Rashford as imoact players.

Inter struggled early on against a pressing Getafe side. If we pressed hard against teams early on I feel we might have a better chance

this tournament is a marathon not a sprint and we are flagging - maybe time to place some trust in our backup attackers and be more fluid with changes
If those players are tired after 10 premier league games, 1 FA Cup and a Europa League game then we have bigger problems than squad rotation. How are they going to handle a full season?

No mention about the 35° heat or the fact that they were kicking off a 9PM. Well played.

MrSingh2002

Ighalo has definitely been underused.

He's a beast and should be thrown on a lot more.

Last edited:

Redlyn

Lingard and Peirera really? After 1 week of rest, no thanks. Let's do something about it before the window closes but not in the semis. Playing Fred was a really good move though. He held his own in a position which is not his best and allowed Matic to come in assuredly for the last third of the match.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I feel we did go a little too strong yesterday, would have preferred to have kept Rashford and Bruno on the bench along with Matic to ensure those 3 are fresh for the SF

sp_107

Some other teams are able to use their squad better as the drop in quality from First XI to 2nd XI isn't that great but at United the drop is huge.

Martial -> Ighalo
Rashford -> Lingard/Mata/Pereira
Bruno -> Lingard/Mata/Pereira
Greenwood -> James/Chong
Pogba -> McT
Matic -> Fred

The closest comparison in quality you could get there is probably Matic to Fred but in the other examples the replacement player is a significant drop in quality. I think you could get by with keeping Pogba/McT/Fred/Matic but you need a replacement Winger and CAM asap.
If Ed sees this sensible post then he shouldnt get sleep until he adds at least 4 quality players to this squad.

Mainoldo

If you can't see that Solskjear playing the same team week in week out isn't a message to the board then no one can help you I'm afraid
He doing more Mourinho tactics. Nice.. that always works. Also got Jose the sack.

Maureen-yo

It's the usual because it's United let's string them up for as much as they can get. It will be crying shame if we have to pay the 120 million as not only does it send a statement that we're mugs paying it, but also in the future of general transfers because the days of big money signings for the foreseeable should be considerably lower due to covid.

Rival fans will have field day taking the piss, least that's how I see it. The fact that United are the only team currently after such a talented world class player tells us all how difficult times are, not only with us now but also well into next year and god knows further.

However, what is nice is such our fan base world wide we can still attract big players albeit at inflated prices to our great club.
Not really fussed about rival fans taking the piss, as long as he plays like a £120million player it shouldn’t matter what any other fans think.

I think we attract top players due to our history and that we will pay big wages rather than due to our on field presence or fan base.

INF-AMOS

Should of subbed Rashford around 60 minutes as he was clearly done, instead wait until he's injured... Madness.

buckooo1978

If those players are tired after 10 premier league games, 1 FA Cup and a Europa League game then we have bigger problems than squad rotation. How are they going to handle a full season?

No mention about the 35° heat or the fact that they were kicking off a 9PM. Well played.
you aren't really seeing restart in context of players playing those games after a long break, with no pre-season and at a high intensity/pressure level. This wasnt touring about the US after a few weeks training. This was flat out football after the long break.

the tiredness had set in before last night. Have a look at the performance levels in the last 3 or 4 PL games and you can see the quality dropping. This isnt solely about High temperatures in Germany.

on next year...well that's the question. I think we are going to struggle badly next year without 4 good signings minimum.

A season compressed 3 or 4 weeks smaller than almost all PL teams. Internationals too. Its going to be 2 games a week all season.

crossy1686

career ending
He doing more Mourinho tactics. Nice.. that always works. Also got Jose the sack.
Pep does it = spoiled, Mourinho does it = dickhead, Pochettino/Zidane does it = genius?

As soon as Solskjaer gets Sancho and whomever else he wants this summer we'll see a lot more of the squad players getting game time.

Mainoldo

Pep does it = spoiled, Mourinho does it = dickhead, Pochettino/Zidane does it = genius?

As soon as Solskjaer gets Sancho and whomever else he wants this summer we'll see a lot more of the squad players getting game time.
I need examples. Mourinho plays McTominay at the back and Herrera when he has 5 fit CB’s. He done the same with Essien when they wouldn’t get him Ben Hiem. So we have evidence.

So explain the rest because I can’t remember.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Even if we don't get Sancho, Ole will still use the squad next season... Would be impossible not to.

cyril C

Don't know about you lot but I think Ole needs to bite the bullet on squad management and take a different approach.

the current tactic seems to be trying to eek our way over the line largely with the current main 11, many of whom are dead on their feet. I was pleased to see Matic rested as his performance level dips badly when he is tired and the Bailly gamble paid off giving Lindelof a break.

the main issue I see is with our attack and Bruno and Rashford in particular who look spent. Bruno's effectiveness has declined over the last number of games and Rashford looks like he's lost a lot of sharpness. The tiredness is evident in the misplaced passes too.

In contrast Inter looked a lot sharper I thought, maybe with a slower less intense league??? (guessing here)

I think it might be an idea to start with James and Lingard in the next game (a gamble I know) and try to use Bruno and Rashford as imoact players.

Inter struggled early on against a pressing Getafe side. If we pressed hard against teams early on I feel we might have a better chance

this tournament is a marathon not a sprint and we are flagging - maybe time to place some trust in our backup attackers and be more fluid with changes
Agree with most of your assessment. What (will) happen in Germany is another matter because this is only 2 games. What matters is what about the new season? Do we expect Bruno to play 50 games a season? I saw Bruno playing in FA, Europa games, can we structure our tactics without relying too much on 1 player? How about rotating between Bruno and Pogba? I don't have any answer, but Ole better comes up with Plan B and C, because Bruno (or Martial or Matic) don't seem to be able to feature 2 games a week on a consistent basic.