Ole's transfer strategy

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
So did Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan(to an extent), Bailly, Lukaku and Matic! Which was my point. Give them time nothing’s really changed. But he’s brought correctly for what we had become and what we require. If that makes sense.
I see what you mean; but I do think some of those players above were victim to the team's performance as a whole once the board decided they weren't going to back Jose and he threw his toys out the pram.

VDB is another good example of a clear transfer strategy under Ole but If VDB is our only signing this summer, to me this shows a lack of ambition from our board to improve on last season's position in the same way they did when Jose finished 2nd.

Suedesi

He seems to be targeting young, energetic, up and coming talents who can presumably peak in 2-3 years to grow together with a young team/squad that can challenge for the title in a few years.

I like it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He seems to be targeting young, energetic, up and coming talents who can presumably peak in 2-3 years to grow together with a young team/squad that can challenge for the title in a few years.

I like it.
He's definitely looking for the right playstyle and attitude, which is a bloody big breath of fresh air. While plenty of credit should go to him and likely those around him, I expect those above clocked on that it wasn't working too. Great to see we're heading in the right direction finally, even if Ole may not be the man to eventually take us to glory.

Suedesi

He's definitely looking for the right playstyle and attitude, which is a bloody big breath of fresh air. While plenty of credit should go to him and likely those around him, I expect those above clocked on that it wasn't working too. Great to see we're heading in the right direction finally, even if Ole may not be the man to eventually take us to glory.
It beats the alternative. We can target Mourinho-style ready made stars, but a) they would cost a ton more and b) our team is still not likely to win the title vs Liverpool/City.

If we peak while their respective cycles end (and they will), then we have a much better chance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It beats the alternative. We can target Mourinho-style ready made stars, but a) they would cost a ton more and b) our team is still not likely to win the title vs Liverpool/City.

If we peak while their respective cycles end (and they will), then we have a much better chance.
And ready made stars don't tend improve you as much as a bunch of hungry, high energy, talented players will. They're the icing on the cake if you already have a quality team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looks like we’ve abandoned the Brexit FC approach we seemed to want to take last year. Thank God!

if we can get Upamecano in, alongside VDB & Sancho, that’s a great window. I’d like a left back too. Shaw too unreliable, Williams clueless at LB, move him to the right.

CM

Generally speaking I think Solskjaer is identifying the right kinds of players. Whether he can get a proper tune out of the team once all the parts have been assembled remains to be seen but the signings we're making and/or players we're being linked to are encouraging.

He's not signed anyone older than 26 either so it does actually feel like we're building towards something for the first time post-Ferguson. Previous managers have hid behind the excuses of needing time, being a process or whatever but their actions haven't aligned with that. That said, we do need some kind of silverware next season.

United58

Bruno is a top player in his prime signed for a huge fee, AWB a hot young prospect at a big cost, James a low cost gamble with little risk.

All seem totally different profiles (other than being excellent buys, which is the most important thing!).
Would you consider James an excellent buy? I'm not his biggest critic (some here are truly brutal) but I'd consider him far from an excellent buy. He's older than Pulisic

Looks like we’ve abandoned the Brexit FC approach we seemed to want to take last year. Thank God!

if we can get Upamecano in, alongside VDB & Sancho, that’s a great window. I’d like a left back too. Shaw too unreliable, Williams clueless at LB, move him to the right.
Let’s just get rid of all our English players. Your agenda is pathetic. We get it, your relentless - and of course misguided and wrong.

Clearly last season he wanted a couple of proven PL players that could go straight into the team, and perform. Given Maguire and AWB played the majority of games, that was a good policy.

I’m pretty sure Bruno and Ighalo aren’t British.

sp_107

I believe AWB/Maguire were the 2 best defenders available in the market last year so I dont blame Ole going after them

Now he is exploring other options which is good. Good to see we are now linked to players like Thiago / Sergio Reguilon / Upamecano/ Carmavinga on top of Sancho.

Gandalf

Would you consider James an excellent buy? I'm not his biggest critic (some here are truly brutal) but I'd consider him far from an excellent buy. He's older than Pulisic
Pulisic was playing first team football at a high level at a younger age so not a direct comparison. In the first half of last season we got 3 goals and 6 assists from James at a time when we had major injury problems so arguably he has paid back the transfer fee already. Realistically he does have potential to improve and be a solid squad option but even if he does not his performance and stats from last season should mean we could recoup what we paid or even turn a small profit if we end up moving him on to a club like Villa or Fulham. I think that meets the level of a good signing at least and maybe in his second year and with less pressure on he will pleasantly surprise us.

el3mel

Transfers have been the best thing about Ole's tenure as a manager so far to be fair. All of them, even with their flaws, look useful and I'm sure the majority of them will stay here for a long time and help the next manager whenever Ole leaves.

Manutd GOGOGO

Well you tell me. What attacking team buys defensive full backs? I’d say we expected AWB to be better in attacking than he is showing.

James is a gamble which just didn’t need to be done. He cost more than Saint Maximum. It was just a mistake it happens. We move.
Less than 30% of the players made it in Man UTD anyway... players tend to fail in EPL than make it especially at the highest level...

James has already contributed his fees in the first half of the season when we were struggling... He is a young squad player...
Any contribution to the points tally and relieving injury and tiredness is a good squad player.

Nori-

Ole's literally copying Cities approach over the last few years. Buy players between 20-25 with high potential and mix in well established older players.

Something we should have started doing years ago instead of spending bucket loads on big names.

Eli Zee

They seemed to be whoever was available and offered to us, as oppose to who our manager has spent the past 12 months personally scouting
Maybe paying an extra 20 million over 5 years on improving our scouting system will save us 100 million Over 5 years.

Hanky panky

I think Ole really appreciate attitude. Bruno is good example for that. And he is ready to give signings time to develop and grow together. With attitude he seems to understand that this team needs more creativity and hard working players, pace also. Overall i really like his strategy. The best since Sir Alex.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have said it ages ago. We are no longer targeting those ageing players that will give massive disadvantage to our squad and other players. We are more interested on players that want to play for the club and aiming on the right position (the ones we actually require) compared to when we were under LVG & Jose.

The fact that Bruno wages isn’t even that massive and he chose us over Barcelona, the fact that Bissaka & Maguire were coming to Carrington with their family and feel privilege to even play for us. And we are also signing player with the right profile and attitude including James who is known with his top class professional attitude.

And now we just signed Donny who seems to be top professional attitude player who wants to play for the club.

No more signing or targeting names that are not interested to join us such as Lukaku, Sergio Ramos, Di Maria, Neymar. No more ageing players that can give disadvantages to the current squad such as Sanchez, Matic & Perisic. We did sign Ighalo on loan but it was with low fees with purpose of backup not someone to bench the current players.

jackal&hyde

Ole's literally copying Cities approach over the last few years. Buy players between 20-25 with high potential and mix in well established older players.

Something we should have started doing years ago instead of spending bucket loads on big names.
Cheaty has literally copied what United have done for decades. We lost our ways under LVG and The Toxic One.

SambaBoy

I don't really think our transfer strategy has changed too much apart from when Mourinho was manager.

Take away the signings of Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ibra, Sanchez, Mata and Di Maria and it's much the same. We haven't just gone after superstars with no resell value. Just because players have failed here, doesn't change the thinking at the time and the sense behind the transfers. People lauding the VDB transfer were probably the same one's hyping up Depay and I don't think there's anything wrong with that as Depay showed a lot of potential and was considered ready for the next step.

Fluctuation0161

Bruno is a top player in his prime signed for a huge fee, AWB a hot young prospect at a big cost, James a low cost gamble with little risk.

All seem totally different profiles (other than being excellent buys, which is the most important thing!).
I think the poster you are replying to
Big difference between Zlatan and Falco/Schweinsteiger.

1. Zlatan was rated world class, and rated fit when we got him. Falco and Schweinsteiger not so much.
2. Zlatan was free. Cost wages only.
3. Season before we bought him 2015 - 2016, at PSG, Zlatan had just 2 injuries, 1 minor, losing 25 days. He had no injuries in 2016 - the year we bought him:
Days lost​
Matches lost​
Knee Problems​
Aug 6 - Aug 27, 2015​
21​
3​
Abdominal Strain​
Sep 10 - Sep 14, 2015​
4​
1​

In contrast, Falco was bought in on Sep 1, 2014 off the back of a 7 month Cruciate Ligament Rupture, costing 190 days:
From​
To:​
days lost​
matches lost​
Cruciate Ligament Rupture​
Jan 23, 2014​
Aug 1, 2014​
190​
20​

Schweinsteiger arrived on Jul 13, 2015, suffering 3 injuries the season before, costing 118 days:
To:​
days lost​
matches lost​
14/15​
Patella problems​
Aug 11, 2014​
Nov 19, 2014​
100​
18​
14/15​
Tear in a joint capsule​
Apr 6, 2015​
Apr 20, 2015​
14​
4​
15/16​
Minor Knock​
Jul 23, 2015​
Jul 27, 2015​
4​
0​
Total;​
118​
22​
Jose ran Zlatan into the ground. No rests for a 35 year old, playing nothing games.

ash_86

Exactly why we need to make him the DOF in the long term. His vision and team building is very good and targets the right players. Though i like him , i have slight doubts about him being a top level coach. Ole as DOF and someone like Nagelsmann as the coach would be a dream combo.

SteveW

Ole's getting it spot on. Another excellent addition. Young, determined and with room to develop further. Sustainable squad building. Delighted with Ole's approach to transfers.

romufc

That is not true. He is using the same approach Fergie used when Ole was playing. Nothing to do with City.

City's approach isnt special. They bought 2 keepers in 2 windows. they have bought £200m worth of Full backs.

Web of Bissaka

I like it.
I love it, as we should anyway.

The one that is not in that category is Ighalo, but then he's just a loanee, here for a very short time originally to cover the CF role considering Martial's fitness and inconsistency at those time and Greenwood's not yet ready.

But if the squad needs exps, at some point in the future, surely Ole should be sensible enough to consider getting one, following SAF's footsteps in adding exps whenever the team need it.

Web of Bissaka

Transfers have been the best thing about Ole's tenure as a manager so far to be fair. All of them, even with their flaws, look useful and I'm sure the majority of them will stay here for a long time and help the next manager whenever Ole leaves.
You're right.
All 6 transfers-In (to be exact) have been spot-on strictly speaking. "Right signings" in a way.

Would put the more attacking emphasis approach as his far second and positiveness as close third.
1. Transfers In
--------------------------------------
2. Attacking
3. Positiveness
-------------------------------------

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

I like it.
With the right personality. VDB seems to have a good character, I like that!! Fair play

KevinJoh

Ole did almost nothing wrong in his period at the club. Transfers spot on, absolutely all are very good with potential to be great, including James people like to slate. James is excellent young signing with great attitude, who already pay off and if he manage to improve (and with his attitude and hard working he will) he will be awesome signing. If not, we can always sell.

We will see this year signings on the pitch. First lets get them, beside VDB.

tomaldinho1

Yh that was bizarre, when it seemed we were intent on going on some weird spree of 'buying British'

Strategy now is what I want to see i.e. technically sound younger players although I'm not sure how our midfield is going to work (in fairness I don't think it has worked very well for us anyway so maybe we're changing tactics slightly) if VdB is going to be a ten as was reported. Maybe the diamond is truly coming back!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yh that was bizarre, when it seemed we were intent on going on some weird spree of 'buying British'

Strategy now is what I want to see i.e. technically sound younger players although I'm not sure how our midfield is going to work (in fairness I don't think it has worked very well for us anyway so maybe we're changing tactics slightly) if VdB is going to be a ten as was reported. Maybe the diamond is truly coming back!
There's no way we are playing a diamond without a significant upgrade at left-back. Who that is God knows.

Zen86

Oh, City invented that did they?

Shiva87

For the first time in years, it looks like our manager and board are on the same page on nature of signings - young, talented and long term investments. However, for this strategy to work, the board has to back Ole - and the VDB signing alone will not be enough.

Rumors of other deals are picking up - but the board needs to get them over the line. Anything less than 3 top quality additions is not sufficient this summer. We need reinforcements both in attack and defence.

I'm sure we will see lots of players leave the club over the next 6 weeks, if we can get our targets. As of now, we have only managed to get rid of Sanchez this summer (who was already gone last summer!). Smalling looks likely - but beyond that, I haven't heard anything on Andreas, Romero, Lingard, Jones, Dalot, and Rojo. If we move these guys on - we will also be able to rotate the squad with younger players through the season. (Garner, Mengi, Axel, Chong, Laird etc.)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Would like to see that Reguillon here.
We could do with some experience in that back line as apart from Maguire they are all pups, somebody like Alaba would be great, and it's rumoured after 13 years at Bayern he's looking for a new challenge but he will cost a bomb(fee plus mega wages)

Haven't seen enough of Reguillon, and he didn't do enough in the Semi to make me think he's one to keep an eye on.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What transfers? Anyone apart from VDB that I've missed?
From Di Maria, Lukaku & Sanchez to Bruno, Maguire, Bissaka, James & VDB.

Ones who are being forced to wear the shirt while the other ones are completely the opposite.