Ole's transfer strategy

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wouldn't ban marquee signings, but some of our marquee signings were daft. We got players, nearing the end of their careers, who'd never played in PL, and had been out injured for a year or more (Falcao and Schweinsteiger).
Falcao and bfs werent big money purchases. It made alot of sense without hindsight.

Falcao was a loan, and he's just a backup. It's not like we're loaning him to be our main striker.

Schweisteinger was a great bargain at that time everyone wanking silly over having him.

OleBoiii

Not sure whats supposed to be "Klopp-esque" about them though.
Bruno is a top player in his prime signed for a huge fee, AWB a hot young prospect at a big cost, James a low cost gamble with little risk.

All seem totally different profiles (other than being excellent buys, which is the most important thing!).
To me a Klopp-esque signing is the following:

1. Young/in the early stages of his prime.
2. Generally energetic.
3. Generally technical.
4. Generally "third shelf" or "fourth shelf" in terms of how tough the competition over the signature is. Occasional second shelf signing. Top shelf is off the table(though that may change).

Mark Pawelek

Falcao and bfs werent big money purchases. It made alot of sense without hindsight.

Falcao was a loan, and he's just a backup. It's not like we're loaning him to be our main striker.

Schweisteinger was a great bargain at that time everyone wanking silly over having him.
You missed my point. Both had recently missed a lot of playing time due to injuries. English PL is physically the most demanding on earth. Both were around 30. They were never going to be able to transition to a more manic league at their age, coming off the back of injuries.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

2. Generally energetic.
3. Generally technical.
4. Generally "third shelf" or "fourth shelf" in terms of how tough the competition over the signature is. Occasional second shelf signing. Top shelf is off the table(though that may change).
Think you need to climb out of Jurgen's hole tbh mate.

Mainoldo

Good signings. But so was the previous 3 years. They only become excellent signings if they work out. But it’s always 50/50. Right about now Maguire is well overpriced and not much better than Lindelöf. AWB can’t attack for £50m hardly a Kyle Walker going forward and James the less the said the better.

So maybe everyone just feels good because the players brought don’t have arrogant faces :lol: I don’t know. I just don’t see any changed. But like someone pointed out they are all looking for the step up which is good. But they actually have to perform like there stepping up for it to work.

Mainoldo

2. Generally energetic.
3. Generally technical.
Are you just making this up?

Mainoldo

You missed my point. Both had recently missed a lot of playing time due to injuries. English PL is physically the most demanding on earth. Both were around 30. They were never going to be able to transition to a more manic league at their age, coming off the back of injuries.
Zlatan did well to be honest.

OleBoiii

Are you just making this up?
For Liverpool(and Dortmund once they became a force again), most of Klopp's signings fit these descriptions, imo. Not all defenders and center forwards have been technical obviously.

Mainoldo

For Liverpool(and Dortmund once they became a force again), most of Klopp's signings fit these descriptions, imo. Not all defenders and center forwards have been technical obviously.
How does it compare to us though? I mean those points can also be used for Chelsea and Spurs right now.

Klopp’s signing represent how much money and wages Liverpool Had available. His signings however all have a profile which suit his teams style. I don’t think most clubs adopt this approach. United included.

Pavl3n

Hasn't been discussed but don't we essentially now have a transfer committee? In that it isn't just up to Ole anymore?
I'm not fully clear on what we have, but I've also heard about the committee.
Which I would understand is a group of people discussing and taking the right decisions when following a vision they've set with regards transfer policy and the club moving forward in general.

I hope this summer follows the example last summer was set and we carry on with the good business. Donny VDB is a really sensible transfer. Box to box midfielder, who is also astute of playing as a #10 and #8. Being in the double digits for goals and assists in back to back seasons should not be underestimated, even if it's in the Eredivisie. Ole and the coaching staff have shown they know how to improve players, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the team.

Now we need to clear some more players and free up funds for the Sancho deal.

I'm guessing after Sanchez there's a breath of confidence that we'll manage to shift the rest - Rojo, Smalling and others. I have seen Fred, Dalot and Romero being linked away. It makes sense for Romero, with Henderson coming back and signing a new deal. Above all I'd love to see the back of Lingard, AP and Mata - maybe not all at the same time, but 2/3 will do.

OleBoiii

How does it compare to us though? I mean those points can also be used for Chelsea and Spurs right now.
I never claimed that we were the only ones making Klopp-esque signings.

Perhaps "Klopp-esque" is a bad term, but he's the best example I could think of at the top of my head. You just don't see him go for well-established players in their late 20's or early 30's, even though he easily could. Some would maybe argue that he should do this more often. The formula seems to be: long term + energy + technique. Not every signing will work out, but the ones that do will have many good years ahead while also being a good "culture fit".

I like this approach. Especially if it's accompanied with the occasional top shelf signing.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If the players that are rumoured to be leaving go and we get another 3/4 then the overhaul will have been pretty remarkable. It’s been quite subtle but when you look at who has left it’s pretty amazing really. We’re 4/5 good signings away over the next 2 seasons from having one of the youngest and most talented squads around.

That’s why I don’t get the pessimism on here - it definitely looks like we’ve sorted ourselves out. Even the players we’re linked to all make perfect sense. Let’s just hope we still invest what we were going to before COVID struck. Finish the job Joel!

Bestietom

If the players that are rumoured to be leaving go and we get another 3/4 then the overhaul will have been pretty remarkable. It’s been quite subtle but when you look at who has left it’s pretty amazing really. We’re 4/5 good signings away over the next 2 seasons from having one of the youngest and most talented squads around.

That’s why I don’t get the pessimism on here - it definitely looks like we’ve sorted ourselves out. Even the players we’re linked to all make perfect sense. Let’s just hope we still invest what we were going to before COVID struck. Finish the job Joel!
We also have some very talented young players that are promising and could come through in the next few years...

MrSingh2002

We've signed a very good squad player in VdB. Which means Lingard or Pereira could be let go. Signing Van de Beek hasn't changed our starting 11 for next season.

I hope the strategy involves buying a centre back to play with Maguire and an attacking left back. Sancho is surely going to happen.

Martial
Rashford Fernandes Sancho
Matic Pogba
LB CB Maguire AWB
De Gea

Bench:
Henderson
Tuanzebe
Williams
VdB
McTominay
James
Greenwood
Ighalo

Sidelined to the reserves/backups/cups/transfer list
Bailly
Lindelof
Rojo
Shaw
Dalot
Fred
Lingard

Outs:
Romero (Unfortunately)
Jones
Smalling
Pereira
Mata

That's a SOLID 26 man squad to work with from the start of the season. It means we only have to get rid of 5 players in this window by selling or ripping up their contracts to let them go on a free to save the wages.

It then leaves 7 others on the sidelines who can be assessed over the next 12 months to see who makes it and who should be sold and replaced in 12 months time.

Who's with me?!

Last edited:

Ollie Derbyshire

Good signings. But so was the previous 3 years. They only become excellent signings if they work out. But it’s always 50/50. Right about now Maguire is well overpriced and not much better than Lindelöf. AWB can’t attack for £50m hardly a Kyle Walker going forward and James the less the said the better.

So maybe everyone just feels good because the players brought don’t have arrogant faces :lol: I don’t know. I just don’t see any changed. But like someone pointed out they are all looking for the step up which is good. But they actually have to perform like there stepping up for it to work.
Do you not think the club knew that AWB isn’t the same type of player as Walker? Who has ever said they thought he was? Walker isn’t as good at defending as AWB, so what, clubs know the type of player they are paying for they aren’t just taking a gamble for £50m haha. I think it’s also fair to say James was meant to be one for the future and /or a squad player. He had a great start to season which got everyone excited, me included, but we still need to keep some perspective on players abilities and what they bring to the squad.

Mainoldo

Do you not think the club knew that AWB isn’t the same type of player as Walker? Who has ever said they thought he was? Walker isn’t as good at defending as AWB, so what, clubs know the type of player they are paying for they aren’t just taking a gamble for £50m haha. I think it’s also fair to say James was meant to be one for the future and /or a squad player. He had a great start to season which got everyone excited, me included, but we still need to keep some perspective on players abilities and what they bring to the squad.
Well you tell me. What attacking team buys defensive full backs? I’d say we expected AWB to be better in attacking than he is showing.

James is a gamble which just didn’t need to be done. He cost more than Saint Maximum. It was just a mistake it happens. We move.

Jinn

Well you tell me. What attacking team buys defensive full backs? I’d say we expected AWB to be better in attacking than he is showing.

James is a gamble which just didn’t need to be done. He cost more than Saint Maximum. It was just a mistake it happens. We move.
I think they expect him to get better, hence buying potential. Same for James. Same for VDB who's coming in now.
The peak for most of these players are at least 3/4 years away.

Mark Pawelek

Zlatan did well to be honest.
Big difference between Zlatan and Falco/Schweinsteiger.

1. Zlatan was rated world class, and rated fit when we got him. Falco and Schweinsteiger not so much.
2. Zlatan was free. Cost wages only.
3. Season before we bought him 2015 - 2016, at PSG, Zlatan had just 2 injuries, 1 minor, losing 25 days. He had no injuries in 2016 - the year we bought him:
Days lost​
Matches lost​
Knee Problems​
Aug 6 - Aug 27, 2015​
21​
3​
Abdominal Strain​
Sep 10 - Sep 14, 2015​
4​
1​

In contrast, Falco was bought in on Sep 1, 2014 off the back of a 7 month Cruciate Ligament Rupture, costing 190 days:
From​
To:​
days lost​
matches lost​
Cruciate Ligament Rupture​
Jan 23, 2014​
Aug 1, 2014​
190​
20​

Schweinsteiger arrived on Jul 13, 2015, suffering 3 injuries the season before, costing 118 days:
days lost​
matches lost​
14/15​
Patella problems​
Aug 11, 2014​
Nov 19, 2014​
100​
18​
14/15​
Tear in a joint capsule​
Apr 6, 2015​
Apr 20, 2015​
14​
4​
15/16​
Minor Knock​
Jul 23, 2015​
Jul 27, 2015​
4​
0​
Total;​
118​
22​

Ollie Derbyshire

There is no way you pay £50m and expect a play to be better at something than they have shown previously. I’d say we knew he was excellent defensively and we think we can improve his end product, which I think he has improved on through out the season and will get better at it next season.

Come on, we can afford a £17m gamble on James no problem, I think if we moved him to the left as Rashfords backup he’d do better. Either way, I’d still prefer to see James coming on from the bench than Pereira so as long as we move him on it’s all good in my eyes. We’ll be able to move James on for decent money in a year or two if he doesn’t progress. We just shouldn’t keep him for longer than needed if he’s not improving.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’ve just remembered some of the criticism of Ole. Brexit FC and not giving youth a chance. Genuinely is amazing how thick some of our fans are.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We've signed a very good squad player in VdB. Which means Lingard or Pereira could be let go. Signing Van de Beek hasn't changed our starting 11 for next season.

I hope the strategy involves buying a centre back to play with Maguire and an attacking left back. Sancho is surely going to happen.

Martial
Rashford Fernandes Sancho
Matic Pogba
LB CB Maguire AWB
De Gea

Bench:
Henderson
Tuanzebe
Williams
VdB
McTominay
James
Greenwood
Ighalo

Sidelined to the reserves/backups/cups/transfer list
Bailly
Lindelof
Rojo
Shaw
Dalot
Fred
Lingard

Outs:
Romero (Unfortunately)
Jones
Smalling
Pereira
Mata

That's a SOLID 26 man squad to work with from the start of the season. It means we only have to get rid of 5 players in this window by selling or ripping up their contracts to let them go on a free to save the wages.

It then leaves 7 others on the sidelines who can be assessed over the next 12 months to see who makes it and who should be sold and replaced in 12 months time.

Who's with me?!
I dont think VdB comes here unless he believes he's starting.

He'll line up alongside Pogba (i know many have a problem with that, but thats whats going to happen)

Ollie Derbyshire

I dont think VdB comes here unless he believes he's starting.

He'll line up alongside Pogba (i know many have a problem with that, but thats whats going to happen)
Has he played as DM for Ajax? Would be nice if he has.

sugar_kane

1. Zlatan was rated world class, and rated fit when we got him. Falco and Schweinsteiger not so much.
3. Season before we bought him 2015 - 2016, at PSG, Zlatan had just 2 injuries, 1 minor, losing 25 days. He had no injuries in 2016 - the year we bought him:
Days lost​
Matches lost​
Knee Problems​
Aug 6 - Aug 27, 2015​
21​
3​
Abdominal Strain​
Sep 10 - Sep 14, 2015​
4​
1​

In contrast, Falco was bought in on Sep 1, 2014 off the back of a 7 month Cruciate Ligament Rupture, costing 190 days:
From​
days lost​
matches lost​
Jan 23, 2014​
Aug 1, 2014​
190​
20​

Schweinsteiger arrived on Jul 13, 2015, suffering 3 injuries the season before, costing 118 days:
days lost​
matches lost​
14/15​
Patella problems​
Aug 11, 2014​
Nov 19, 2014​
100​
18​
14/15​
Tear in a joint capsule​
Apr 6, 2015​
Apr 20, 2015​
14​
4​
15/16​
Minor Knock​
Jul 23, 2015​
Jul 27, 2015​
4​
0​
Total;​
118​
22​
It’s unbelievable looking back that anyone expected anything of Falcao coming straight off an ACL recovery. I understand it was only a loan but still a really weird move for us.

Falcow

Klopp broke WR for a goalkeeper and then defender. He also spent 150m on three midfielders but continues to play kick and rush style. Where does that fit it?

sparx99

I think they expect him to get better, hence buying potential. Same for James. Same for VDB who's coming in now.
The peak for most of these players are at least 3/4 years away.
Kyle Walker was crap at the age AWB is. He was kept out of Spurs team by Kyle Naughton.

Mainoldo

Days lost​
Matches lost​
Knee Problems​
Aug 6 - Aug 27, 2015​
21​
3​
Abdominal Strain​
Sep 10 - Sep 14, 2015​
4​
1​

From​
days lost​
matches lost​
Jan 23, 2014​
Aug 1, 2014​
190​
20​

days lost​
matches lost​
14/15​
Patella problems​
Aug 11, 2014​
Nov 19, 2014​
100​
18​
14/15​
Tear in a joint capsule​
Apr 6, 2015​
Apr 20, 2015​
14​
4​
15/16​
Minor Knock​
Jul 23, 2015​
Jul 27, 2015​
4​
0​
Total;​
118​
22​
It wasn’t a diss to be honest. I was just saying Zlatan did well considering his age coming into the Prem.

Mainoldo

There is no way you pay £50m and expect a play to be better at something than they have shown previously. I’d say we knew he was excellent defensively and we think we can improve his end product, which I think he has improved on through out the season and will get better at it next season.

Come on, we can afford a £17m gamble on James no problem, I think if we moved him to the left as Rashfords backup he’d do better. Either way, I’d still prefer to see James coming on from the bench than Pereira so as long as we move him on it’s all good in my eyes. We’ll be able to move James on for decent money in a year or two if he doesn’t progress. We just shouldn’t keep him for longer than needed if he’s not improving.
For £50m you best be able to attack and defend well especially if it’s what you desire going forward. Yes people can improve but I’ve never seen a player change their whole style at the peak of their game. AWB will probably get a lot better at defending and I’m sure it’s easier for that to improve than his attacking. He’s not very comfortable on the ball. There’s ceilings with everyone’s game. He’s not going to be very good in attack to the level which we will require. But if the player infront of him is world class we might be alright.

No we don’t need to waste £17m. We are probably £17m short Bruno’s valuation last summer. We literally could have not got James and got Bruno in the summer instead. We had Chong who could have done the same job for free. To me that was just a highly influenced Giggs recommendation.

Ollie Derbyshire

For £50m you best be able to attack and defend well especially if it’s what you desire going forward. Yes people can improve but I’ve never seen a player change their whole style at the peak of their game. AWB will probably get a lot better at defending and I’m sure it’s easier for that to improve than his attacking. He’s not very comfortable on the ball. There’s ceilings with everyone’s game. He’s not going to be very good in attack to the level which we will require. But if the player infront of him is world class we might be alright.

No we don’t need to waste £17m. We are probably £17m short Bruno’s valuation last summer. We literally could have not got James and got Bruno in the summer instead. We had Chong who could have done the same job for free. To me that was just a highly influenced Giggs recommendation.
we’ll have to agree to disagree on this as we are both guessing on what the club expected for their £50m. The fee isn’t AWBs problem, we bought him on the back of what he showed the year before and that was 90% defending.

Again your just guessing on why we didn’t get Bruno in the summer because of buying James, I don’t agree with that at all. Either we didn’t want to buy then or they didn’t want to sell, if we really 2anted Bruno in the summer I don’t think 17m would have stopped us. I’m not even going to discuss Chong as I haven’t seen anything from him tha5 would suggest he can pla6 in our first 11 or even come off the bench yet. Granted it’s hard to do that without much game time.

Adamsk7

I can’t fault the players he’s brought in. They are all players I would have looked at if I were manager (bar James). If I were desperate for a striker and someone had offered me Ighalo on loan I would have probably looked at that as well.

Maguire
Wan Bissaka
Bruno
James
Ighalo (loan)
Donny Van de Beek

That’s impressive to me because it’s a clear step away from what we have been buying. ALL of these players were looking to take the next step and all have room still for improvement.

Also a big shout out to Nicky Butt and all the the team in the Youth set up. We’ve been hoovering up some of the top talent across Europe and that should be recognised too.

OleBoiii

Klopp broke WR for a goalkeeper and then defender. He also spent 150m on three midfielders but continues to play kick and rush style. Where does that fit it?
"Generally" does not mean "always". But for what it's worth: VVD and Allison are both "second shelf signings" based on my definitions. And they were not exactly old when they signed(27?). Their price was high because of the classic PL tax and the fact that Liverpool were desperate for strengthening those positions.

Which midfielder did Klopp sign that's not tecnical, energetic and relatively young?

Jacko21

I trust Ole regarding transfers. Both incomings and outgoings.

I like the profile of the players he recruits and the emphasis he places on character.

El Jefe

And there were people in the other thread trying to convince themselves that a United tax doesn't exist. I do like the idea that we're prepared to walk away from overpriced transfers, it will work in our favour in the long run as long as we make smart signings.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur

I'm not sure about this. Maguire, AWB and Bruno have all had great seasons in their first years at a big club. James looked like an extremely shrewd signing (who had a better-than-expected start at United given the summer he had with the big move and his dad passing) but lack of squad depth meant he was relied on more than anticipated..

Falcow

"Generally" does not mean "always". But for what it's worth: VVD and Allison are both "second shelf signings" based on my definitions. And they were not exactly old when they signed(27?). Their price was high because of the classic PL tax and the fact that Liverpool were desperate for strengthening those positions.

Which midfielder did Klopp sign that's not tecnical, energetic and relatively young?
Fair enough mate, I accept they fit your criteria.

I was more trying to debunk the myth that his signings are all bargain basements, appreciate that's not your argument though.

OleBoiii

I was more trying to debunk the myth that his signings are all bargain basements
Agreed.

I hate the notion that Liverpool and Klopp somehow are honorable underdogs. They've spent a feckton of money, but they've spent smart and they have a clear strategy, which I like. They know that they can't get top shelf players so you can't really praise the club for not going for players like Neymar and Mbappe. But it's admirable that almost every signing has worked out while none of them are short-term solutions. Salah, Firmino and Mane were yawn-worthy signings, but they've all delivered and then some.

Mainoldo

I'm not sure about this. Maguire, AWB and Bruno have all had great seasons in their first years at a big club. James looked like an extremely shrewd signing (who had a better-than-expected start at United given the summer he had with the big move and his dad passing) but lack of squad depth meant he was relied on more than anticipated..
So did Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan(to an extent), Bailly, Lukaku and Matic! Which was my point. Give them time nothing’s really changed. But he’s brought correctly for what we had become and what we require. If that makes sense.

slir32

Maguire and AWB are better than what we had. We will not get perfection first go its a process as long as we are improving we are on the right road.

Falcow

Agreed.

I hate the notion that Liverpool and Klopp somehow are honorable underdogs. They've spent a feckton of money, but they've spent smart and they have a clear strategy, which I like. They know that they can't get top shelf players so you can't really praise the club for not going for players like Neymar and Mbappe. But it's admirable that almost every signing has worked out while none of them are short-term solutions. Salah, Firmino and Mane were yawn-worthy signings, but they've all delivered and then some.

Yes unfortunately that is all true. Klopp also seems to be great at getting the best out of players, couthino being a great example.

The ray of light however is that they are in danger of going stale and squad is threadbare. Injury to VVD and they are in trouble.