Oli McBurnie...

Withnail

I can only speak of my experience, I'm in my early 30's and people at school then were disrespectful - but they seem to be reaching a whole new level now.

My mum is a classroom assistant and she says the way kids are now is completely different to how we were at the same age.

As you say though it often stems from poor parenting, and that is usually from a lack of respect and boundaries also.
I think that all depends on a lot of factors.

My exes son and all of his schoolmates are quite well behaved. They're all very innocent and don't get up to a fraction of the stuff we were doing at the same age.

I was genuinely shocked, they enjoy going to school, the teachers are great, they learn about resilience and mental health and it's all about positive reinforcement rather than the clip round the ear and shut up and do your work attitude I got 30 odd years ago.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

My exes son and all of his schoolmates are quite well behaved. They're all very innocent and don't get up to a fraction of the stuff we were doing at the same age.

I was genuinely shocked, they enjoy going to school, the teachers are great, they learn about resilience and mental health and it's all about positive reinforcement rather than the clip round the ear and shut up and do your work attitude I got 30 odd years ago.
As you say i'm sure lots of people experience different things, backgrounds are definitely the biggest factor.

You can pretty much guarantee the naughtiest kids have the worst parents.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Also for more context - they’d clearly been following him around

hahahaha exactly what I expected.

Well in Mcburnie. Hero.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

This video has only strengthened my original view. It’s not like McBurnie put him in a hospital or something. He’s a fecking hero to me. No way I can be convinced the guy didn’t deserve a slap, and if he has any self-respect, he’d ask the police to drop the charges himself given he is well aware that he was acting the cnut and isn’t some victim.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

To be fair, your exes son and friends don’t sound like the sort of young lads that would see Oli McBurnie on the street and follow him around calling him a cnut. Hats off to them.

FatTails

Is there anything more predictable than a generation saying the one after it is worse?

What it usually means is, “things are changing, and I don’t like it”.

Withnail

To be fair, your exes son and friends don’t sound like the sort of young lads that would see Oli McBurnie on the street and follow him around calling him a cnut. Hats off to them.
You're not wrong there and it's the last I'll say as we're way off topic but in my personal opinion I think they are better and happier for not getting a slap.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You're not wrong there and it's the last I'll say as we're way off topic but in my personal opinion I think they are better and happier for not getting a slap.
Yea, fair play. And while I think it’s reasonable for them to not have been raised getting slapped, I think part of the education is surely that one of the reasons you can’t do things like this to others, is that one of them WILL end up giving you a slap! It’s definitely a risk you face if you go around hurling abuse at grown men on the street. I think all of us know that. We don’t do things like that partly because we know better, but also partly because we all know that you run the risk of instant consequences.

And apologies if I caused offence earlier.

Smores

Good lad, you don't just let people constantly harass you. Behaviour like that needs a reaction sometimes.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

This thread has been enlightening. Everyone so quick to assume the worst.

Following a guy (and his girlfriend) around harassing him and then trying to cry victim when he slaps you is peak 2021.

Withnail

Yea, fair play. And while I think it’s reasonable for them to not have been raised getting slapped, I think part of the education is surely that one of the reasons you can’t do things like this to others, is that one of them WILL end up giving you a slap! It’s definitely a risk you face if you go around hurling abuse at grown men on the street. I think all of us know that. We don’t do things like that partly because we know better, but also partly because we all know that you run the risk of instant consequences.

And apologies if I caused offence earlier.
None taken mate and it's an emotive subject so perhaps I was a bit harsh. My initial post was intended as a joke as well. It was a play on that Michael Owen thing. Although I did think they were younger.

A 21 year old following him around giving him abuse changes things quite a bit.

HarryRedCrumbs

Following a guy (and his girlfriend) around harassing him and then trying to cry victim when he slaps you is peak 2021.
Exactly. I'm constantly amazed at how many people will condemn someone based on so little information, swinging their opinion around like a dead cat.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The guy should inform the police he would like no further action taken if he has any self respect. I’d be embarrassed to go to court pointing fingers and playing the victim after an incident like that.

Loosely related, but I remember when I was about 12 or 13, a friend and I bunked off school and went down to Oxford Street just up to no good. My mate nicked a pair of sunglasses (still don’t agree with referring to sunglasses as a ‘pair’, but I digress!) from one of those small tourist shops, and thought he had gotten away with it but just as he got out of the shop, the owner caught him, took them off him and gave him a slap. Never occurred to us to run around saying ‘this horrible man slapped me’. Too embarrassed for a start.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The guy deserved a fecking slap.

SAFMUTD

Totally deserved, I mean what the feck do you expect to happen if you keep provoking someone? Is not like McBurnie beat the shit out of them, a couple of slaps is the least they deserved no matter if they are 15 or whatever, they're not kids playing just assholes provoking a man.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Don't know what the kid was expecting taunting a Scottish man in the street.

RUCK4444

Yeah the guy absolutely deserved more than what he got for that.

To be Frank anybody who disagrees with that is a mentalist and probably longs for some cotton wool utopia that will never exist.

As the inspirational Jamie Vardy... Chat sh*t get banged...

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The guy should inform the police he would like no further action taken if he has any self respect. I’d be embarrassed to go to court pointing fingers and playing the victim after an incident like that.

Loosely related, but I remember when I was about 12 or 13, a friend and I bunked off school and went down to Oxford Street just up to no good. My mate nicked a pair of sunglasses (still don’t agree with referring to sunglasses as a ‘pair’, but I digress!) from one of those small tourist shops, and thought he had gotten away with it but just as he got out of the shop, the owner caught him, took them off him and gave him a slap. Never occurred to us to run around saying ‘this horrible man slapped me’. Too embarrassed for a start.
Your experience isn't too dissimilar to mine even if the countries are different. We are probably in the same age group.

I think we are moving so far away from common sense in society right now. So few people stopped to question why McBurnie reacts the way he did. People wanted to condemn him immediately.

It turns out he shows massive restraint as he is first approached while walking with his girlfriend ffs

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why people do this? Why provoke athletes who are in great physical shape and can clearly kick the sh*t out of them?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’m friends with someone who is very close to you McBurnie, and I’ve only ever heard good things about him.

He shouldn’t have reacted like he did,
but it is clear the guy was looking for a reaction.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why people do this? Why provoke athletes who are in great physical shape and can clearly kick the sh*t out of them?
Think it is because society tends to dehumanise people in such positions. Similar parallels to cancel culture. Famous people are not allowed to have feelings or be actual people - they are expected to be walking good examples on how everyone should live.

Poverty also seems to make people look at anyone with money as non-human. ‘Why are you complaining about being abused, you have a million pounds’. It is odd how any transgressions of any sort from a person with money brings their supposed ‘right’ to have a lot of money put on trial first and foremost (hence the cancel culture). Born out of underlying jealousy I think.

I doubt anyone really thinks Oli McBurnie shouldn’t have reacted like that because it is such a terrible thing to do. Most people probably think that he shouldn’t have reacted like that simply because he is a footballer.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Think it is because society tends to dehumanise people in such positions. Similar parallels to cancel culture. Famous people are not allowed to have feelings or be actual people - they are expected to be walking good examples on how everyone should live.

Poverty also seems to make people look at anyone with money as non-human. ‘Why are you complaining about being abused, you have a million pounds’. It is odd how any transgressions of any sort from a person with money brings their supposed ‘right’ to have a lot of money put on trial first and foremost (hence the cancel culture). Born out of underlying jealousy I think.

I doubt anyone really thinks Oli McBurnie shouldn’t have reacted like that because it is such a terrible thing to do. Most people probably think that he shouldn’t have reacted like that simply because he is a footballer.
Good points here. I would probably react as he did in his age. Nowadays I can easily ignore when provoked. The social media brought a bit more of a narcissistic culture, I guess. People will try to bring others down all the time or trying to find things that annoys them so they can complain on social media.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Doesn’t look like the kind of neighbourhood PL footballers hang around. Was he there visiting a massage parlour I wonder?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree with @Rozay

Idiots were mouthing off and probably abusing him. It’s a 21 year old man. Got what was coming to him.
Indeed. Following and harassing someone deserves a slap.