Olivier Giroud an option for Man Utd

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Probably the best stop gap option we could get in January, let’s go for it.

Judas

Open to offers
No, unless he's basically given to us for free. As much as I want a stop gap, he really wasn't impressive when he last played in the PL and he's only got older.

izec

No, unless he's basically given to us for free. As much as I want a stop gap, he really wasn't impressive when he last played in the PL and he's only got older.
Dont see him as a starter. But he would be great for the last 20 minutes if we need a goal and go direct to cause some chaos in the penalty box.

Giggsyking

Ffs he is 36 years old. We never learn. We just ended a wreck of a story with a cringe 37 years old.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's unbelievably handsome. But otherwise, no. But as a backup for 4 months, why not.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
With Cristiano gone wage budget is clearly not our biggest problem. I'd have him around for 18 months, more so with no obvious permanent targets out there.

Spark

Was wondering who would fill the “old as feck on astronomical wages” role. Glaring gap in the squad.

dove

He wouldn't be too bad I guess but it pisses me off that we are seemingly the only club constantly going for those fossil "stop gaps". It's fine if you do it once in a while but we do it literally every year nowadays. Falcao was supposed to be a stopgap, then Ibra, then Cavani, then Ronaldo, now Giroud? FFS.
Edit: just remembered we had Ighalo too :lol:

Last edited:

matsdf

He wouldn't be too bad I guess but it pisses me off that we are seemingly the only club constantly going for those fossil "stop gaps". It's fine if you do it once in a while but we do it literally every year nowadays. Falcao was supposed to be a stopgap, then Ibra, then Cavani, then Ronaldo, now Giroud? FFS.
We're not completely alone though. Chelsea have gone for Falcao, Giroud and Aubamenyang in recent years.

RedDevilRoshi

Another? Ighalo, Cavani, Ronaldo all were “stop gap” - what are they stopping the gap for?

We need a long term striker now. How long ago did Lukaku leave? Still no replacement
We do need a long term striker but I can’t see us getting one in January when the owners are looking to sell.

We simply can’t go beyond January relying on Martial being injury free. We are so short on options up top.

NoPace

He's unbelievably handsome. But otherwise, no. But as a backup for 4 months, why not.
You can have my proxy vote.

He'd be good for 4 months, mostly coming off the bench and playing against teams who sit deep. Martial against higher line teams and pray he stays healthy.

I tend to think proven guys like Giroud and Memphis will do better over the next 4 months for us than some of the less established names, who might need time to take to the league. Those guys go to their national teams every break and do a good job regardless of who their teammates are (and the Dutch and French teams haven't been that settled in their creative positions apart from guys like De Jong, the Dutch wingbacks, Mbappe and Griezmann really).

Someone like Marcus Thuram may only start to play well by September of next year after a full pre-season, and we need someone now, and can look again for a better option in June, when teams are less terrified to sell and have their seasons wrecked.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yes! Give him a 1+1 and see how he goes from the bench. I bet he will score more that Martial between now and May, and imagine the salty gooners if he somehow fired us to the title ahead of Arsenal! Delicious!

FujiVice

Immediately becomes the best looking man in the squad. And that's the most important thing.

Wilt

Yeah give him a 6 year contract… what could possibly go wrong?

El Zoido

Would be a good signing til the end of the season. We just need to get over the line in to top four, get the sale of the club complete, then get a striker for the long term in the summer. We’re not making a big transfer in January while the club is still up for sale.

Speako

Looks like this one has instantly split the camp! I've swung like a pendulum to be fair, but landed in the No Category.

lex talionis

Massive upgrade to the squad as a stop gap. But let’s go down this road only if we can’t bring in one of the other top names we’ve discussed. Not sure, however, why OG would want to do this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Immediately becomes the best looking man in the squad. And that's the most important thing.
I think Mr Hugo Boss, Raphael Varane would have something to say about that.

redshaw

Probably would score a few from crosses and still seems sharp and fit at 36. Some of his years at Chelsea were quite poor for league goals though.

Idxomer

He would've been a great option 4 years ago but not anymore.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
In the past he would have been a great option, I posted a few times about it over the years. While never the best of the best, he had a lot of qualities that would have made him a useful option for your side. A younger version would really have suited the players you have, with the aerial and technical ability to lead the line while bringing players like Rashford and Antony into play,

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He might be willing to sit on the bench until he's needed, unlike Ronaldo.
And sometimes thats all you need.

Mainoldo

Ffs he is 36 years old. We never learn. We just ended a wreck of a story with a cringe 37 years old.
Just that he was never a pace merchant and unlike CR7 he can still play ball.

Great option for what we require. Hopefully comes here and helps us collect some silverware.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His stats this season are actually pretty good...

Serie A:
13 games (9 starts), 5 goals, 3 assists

Champions League:
6 games, 4 goals, 2 assists

World Cup:
6 games, 4 goals, 0 assists

Total: 25 games, 13 goals, 5 assists.

Not bad for a grandpa

Yakuza_devils

What about pressing and running stats? ETH style of play need to press high up the pitch. As far as I know, he is none of that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He's clumsy with the ball and with his challenges - always seems to give away free kicks when contesting headers.
Maybe he's ok for 6 months, but he wasn't great in the PL before, and that was during his prime.

Okey

Hmmm...never thought this was an option. Pure centre forward. Would be hard to turn up the nose at an 18-month contract.

Edit: Or even just 6 months.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Another? Ighalo, Cavani, Ronaldo all were “stop gap” - what are they stopping the gap for?

We need a long term striker now. How long ago did Lukaku leave? Still no replacement
Don’t think anyone would disagree with you here but a new long term striker signing doesn’t seem to be on the cards during this window. That’s the jist of my post - assuming it’s a stop gap or no one

Oranges038

One of the biggest complaints about Ronaldo was that he run, didn't press enough and didn't do enough outside of scoring goals.

From that point of view this makes perfect sense.

BlueHaze

If we could in January I would do it. But not later than that. We need something now.

redshaw

Does seem more like a made up story due to the contract ending in the summer. He's at AC Milan doing well second in Serie A, and they face Spurs in the CL knockout round. Not sure I'd trade that, he'll no doubt have good options if Milan decide to not renew this summer.