Olivier Giroud an option for Man Utd

joedirt87

You absolutely take him if he's available for a cheap price. He can hold up play and score a few goals.

AndySmith1990

Every single year we're in this position of looking for an old stop gap striker. It really does hammer home how poor the planning has been from former managers

SAFMUTD

Would be a great stop gap option, but I doubt he'll want to come here. He's currently getting a fair amount of minutes in Milan and got a Serie A title there.

Castia

Nah he's fecking shite and a few goals at the WC wont change that opinion

Washed up in the prem years ago.

Rather sign nobody than another 35 year old past it striker

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Will immediately bump the squad's looks quotient up by a 100 points. :lol:

Amazed at how much he is rated in here :eek:
It's very fashionable and "in" to rate him these days. Everyone calls him an underrated serial winner nowadays so it's not that surprising.

Ibi Dreams

Wouldn't be against it if we also get a younger striker as well. I don't want him being our main option, as a bench and rotation option though he could be useful for a season

Swedish_Plumber

I’ve always thought he was rather underrated but he’s too old. A stop gap is needed though and then all out for Kane in the summer.

Zed 101

If and I don't believe it would happen Giroud is available on a 6 month loan then he would definitely be worth having as a striking option in the short term, he is still capable at the top level and offers something very different to our current players.

So would we want to start him most games, nah! but games where the opposition has parked the bus, or to try something different for the last 25 minutes I do not see the problem, obviously it would all come down to finances, but if our option is Giroud for 6 months or Thuram for £15m, or Depay for ??? I would take Giroud please

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He wouldn't be a starter but he's the perfect example of what every big club should want as the back up striker to be an impact sub, winning or losing. A target man like him with excellent technique is perfect for those scenarios.

OrcaFat

These oldish signings up front rarely work out
Yeah. It depends what you’re expecting. Ibra was good. Larsson was class but barely played. Can’t think of any other good ones in the mid-30s age bracket. I would say Ronaldo but both we and he expected better.

croadyman

If and I don't believe it would happen Giroud is available on a 6 month loan then he would definitely be worth having as a striking option in the short term, he is still capable at the top level and offers something very different to our current players.

So would we want to start him most games, nah! but games where the opposition has parked the bus, or to try something different for the last 25 minutes I do not see the problem, obviously it would all come down to finances, but if our option is Giroud for 6 months or Thuram for £15m, or Depay for ??? I would take Giroud please
I am greedy and want both

Chairman Steve

I wouldn’t complain but I can’t see it happening. I hope this season is the last we’re seeing off these short term striker deals after Cavani, Ronaldo, Ighalo. This time it seems like a perfect storm of bad luck rather than bad management. It’s not every day that you have two strikers in your team, where one was effectively sacked, and one is suspended for being an alleged scumbag who if guilty will be sacked faster than you can say his full name.

croadyman

I wouldn’t complain but I can’t see it happening. I hope this season is the last we’re seeing off these short term striker deals after Cavani, Ronaldo, Ighalo. This time it seems like a perfect storm of bad luck rather than bad management. It’s not every day that you have two strikers in your team, where one was effectively sacked, and one is suspended for being an alleged scumbag who if guilty will be sacked faster than you can say his full name.
Yeah it has reduced our striking options to an injury prone Martial and Rashford who prefers playing off the left anyway

Mainoldo

His contract ends in the summer. The loan makes no sense to anyone.

Abraxas

Giroud playing well when he's up for a few games in a world cup is vastly different to the PL. I wouldn't expect him to be anywhere near as effective for us.

I'm getting a bit sick of these sticking plasters up front. It really does need sorting out in the summer.

Nero

We're at that stage where people are so desperate they try to convince themselves that any player will be a decent option.

dal

He would be the most perfect stop gap an absolute handful.

Rashford, Martial and Giroud takes us to the summer nicely, then we need two new striker in and both the frenchmen out.

Silas

He wouldn't be too bad I guess but it pisses me off that we are seemingly the only club constantly going for those fossil "stop gaps". It's fine if you do it once in a while but we do it literally every year nowadays. Falcao was supposed to be a stopgap, then Ibra, then Cavani, then Ronaldo, now Giroud? FFS.
Edit: just remembered we had Ighalo too :lol:
:lol: To be fair, at least with the later ones I’m guessing we had Martial and Greenwood in mind at the time..

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If you sign him wait until the end of the window, because you can guarantee he would score against us on the 22nd!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I highly doubt at his age he would want to play in EPL again. He is doing well and happy in Milan. It makes no sense to up root his family and move back to England for half season.